Actors who just ''play themselves?''

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Which actors do you think, no matter the role, just play themselves?

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dwayne “The Overrated” Johnson - He’s a great and cool guy outside of acting but he’s a sub par actor who shouldn’t have gotten half the roles he’s been in. Overrated as an actor. I was always more impressed with The Rock as a wrestler than as an actor.

Kevin Hart - the most obvious here. Truly plays the same exact character no matter what movie or role it is. I cannot distinguish any of his roles whatsoever. He’s an awesome dude and comedian but a not-so-good actor.

Nicolas Cage - kinda tired of Cage tbh. He’s just flat out boring and dull now. He was a decent Ghost Rider though and I liked the brief moments he was the villain in Face/Off.

Will Smith - Smith is my favorite actor of all time who usually plays himself which I generally enjoy. I enjoy Will playing himself in almost every role because he’s a great actor in general.

Jon Bernthal - a one dimensional actor overall but he is the best Punisher and was decent as Shane from Walking Dead...and a cool dude.

Vin Diesel - I’ve enjoyed all of his movies but Diesel just needs to play more diverse and better quality roles. His talent has been underutilized because I think he can do so much better. He’s a terrific actor with the material he’s given.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Smith

Most Comedians

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

Ryan Reynolds with a few exceptions but I'm ok with that.

@redhood_jaytodd said:

Dwayne “The Overrated” Johnson

I'm kinda sick of him. Not that he's bad but his range is limited and they keep trying to fit him into roles that call for something different. Like the common man roll. Sorry he just doesn't fit that.

This will piss people off on this site but he's not a right fit for Black Adam either. Nor is he for Doc Savage.

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Dwayne is a good dude with a good heart who is prone to accepting roles that require his huge build and perfect man image. Hence why he's always the strong arm. Is he the right fit for Black Adam? We don't know because the movie hasn't come out yet.

ninetoadclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan Reynolds but more accurately he is only good at playing himself.

RDJ - he just adjusts how manic he is.

Nick Cage - everything is the same

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dernman

@baldur_odinson said:

@dernman: Dwayne is a good dude with a good heart who is prone to accepting roles that require his huge build and perfect man image. Hence why he's always the strong arm. Is he the right fit for Black Adam? We don't know because the movie hasn't come out yet.

I like him just as much as the next guy (even if I'm sick of him in roles he shouldn't be in) but that doesn't change anything. Many of his roles he wasn't right for. You don't have to watch Black Adam to know he doesn't fit the role. Black Adam is an ancient Egyptian with a certain personality. The Rock isn't that. He doesn't look like the role not have the aura of the role.

KillerQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnny Depp is the antithesis to this whole thread.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

And Christian Bale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f30596099270
deactivated-5f30596099270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninetoadclown said:

Ryan Reynolds but more accurately he is only good at playing himself.

RDJ - he just adjusts how manic he is.

Nick Cage - everything is the same

And Gary Oldman

KillerQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Statham

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have an issue with most of the people who just "play themselves", nor do I agree with all the actors who get labeled that way. I disagree with Will Smith. I disagree with RDJ and think too many people are only familiar with him in the Iron Man era. I have zero issue with The Rock. I enjoy him and his films for the most part, and he seems like a genuinely great dude. Don't know why he gets so much hate here. Anyway, names:

• Jason Statham most times (though I have no issues watching one of his movies; I know what I'm getting)
  • Vin Diesel most times (same as the Statham take)
  • Mark Wahlberg most times
  • Kevin Hart
  • Adam Sandler most times

I might be forgetting a couple. The only person who "plays themselves" that I really find hard to enjoy now is Nicholas Cage. I also can't ever take Tom Cruise seriously, but that's a different matter...

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard that David Carradine died playing himself

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Dwayne Johnson

Seth Rogen

Jason Statham

At this point Anthony Hopkins

Mark Wahlberg

Ryan Reynolds

RObert Downey Jr.

Kevin Hart

Vin Diesel

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

This will piss people off on this site but he's not a right fit for Black Adam either.

I agree with this. Johnson lacks the intensity, the presence needed for Black Adam. He doesn't have that sense of regality either.

I know physically he isn't a fit, but I always thought Arnold Vosloo (the guy who played Imhotep in The Mummy) would have been a great choice acting-wise.

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

This will piss people off on this site but he's not a right fit for Black Adam either.

I agree with this. Johnson lacks the intensity, the presence needed for Black Adam. He doesn't have that sense of regality either.

I know physically he isn't a fit, but I always thought Arnold Vosloo (the guy who played Imhotep in The Mummy) would have been a great choice acting-wise.

I agree. I loved him voicing Adam in Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverinebatmanftw said:
@dernman said:

I agree. I loved him voicing Adam in Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam.

Yeah, and I honestly think he'd be perfect if he buffed up. Even his face looks kinda like Adam's.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares.

aslong as they got enough ppl enjoying seeing them playing themselfs in different movies.

so either ignore their movies if you dont like it because there are enough other movies and actors or go protest against them😂

i mean , what exactly is there to talk about here? you can debate pointless stuff from time to time but there are things that are so pointless , might aswell talk about what socks the rock wears while filming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthur_morgan said:

Who cares.

aslong as they got enough ppl enjoying seeing them playing themselfs in different movies.

so either ignore their movies if you dont like it because there are enough other movies and actors or go protest against them😂

i mean , what exactly is there to talk about here? you can debate pointless stuff from time to time but there are things that are so pointless , might aswell talk about what socks the rock wears while filming.

What exactly is your problem? You've always got this bullshit superior attitude, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. You act as though you're some grand f***ing saviour of humanity who only discusses the most important things in the world, whilst in all likelihood, you do nothing in reality.

People like to talk about film and actors, especially if they feel like a certain artist is wasting their own talent. There's nothing wrong with that. Your pompous, condescending garbage is petulant and unnecessary.

If you don't think its important, then what the f**k are you even doing here? Jesus Christ, we get it, you're the great all-wise sage who's above any and all discussion about this sort of topic. So why not just leave it alone instead of patronizing everybody?

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthur_morgan said:

Who cares.

What exactly is your problem? You've always got this bullshit superior attitude, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. You act as though you're some grand f***ing saviour of humanity who only discusses the most important things in the world, whilst in all likelihood, you do nothing in reality.

People like to talk about film and actors, especially if they feel like a certain artist is wasting their own talent. There's nothing wrong with that. Your pompous, condescending garbage is petulant and unnecessary.

If you don't think its important, they what the f**k are you even doing here? Jesus Christ, we get it, you're the great all-wise sage who's above any and all discussion about this sort of topic. So why not just leave it alone instead of patronizing everybody?

damn

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

@wolverinebatmanftw: chill , madboy.

Google lied to me , i typed “pointless“in german and the word “Zwecklos“ was result and not “wrong“.🤔

Pretty sure you dont know what superior means.

pompous, too.

or maybe google lied to you , too😂

Going by your logic , why the f**k are you anywhere ? thats one of the dumbest logic ever.

Some guy is here because he thinks the rock sucks or maybe not and i am here because i think its pointless.

A little advice , dont come at some1 with an argument he can simply use against you.

so if you think there are ppl that like to talk about it than why the f**k do you get mad about a random guy on the internet instead simply ignore him? did my comment force them? jesus christ , we get it , you dont care for humanity and big problems , so keep scrolling down.

What a noob.

its like owning noobs on CoD.😂

And you mad like them, too😂

let me grind on your nerves some more😏😂😂

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

but ok, lets talk about it.

i think the rock cant play roles that are too different character wise, he is the type of actor that doesnt fit them and producer‘s look for fitting actors and not pick random ppl.

ok, i am sorry and i promise to forget about saving shit for a moment , pretty sure ppl can dodge war and survive alittle bit longer while starving for now and concentrate on the rock being a average actor with no interesting actor career past basic cool guy whatsoever 😂

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised nobody hasn't mentioned Samuel L. Jackson.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Literally everyone mentioned.

Killer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

RDJ since Iron Man 1

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leonardo DiCaprio

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Are they playing themselves or have they been typecasted.

barretstrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daniel Day Lewis

Meryl Streep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barretstrife said:

Daniel Day Lewis

Meryl Streep

Lol wut. DDL is the antithesis to this question.

Avatar image for deactivated-6349385499256
deactivated-6349385499256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there's a ton out here

but there's some play themselves in a good way like RDJ

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they playing themselves or have they been typecasted.

By ''playing themselves'' it means their personality off screen is very similar to their personality on screen. Actors like RDJ, Ryan Reynolds, Will Smith, Kevin Hart, Samuel L. Jackson, Jennifer Aniston etc. Their personalities in interviews, press conferences, talk shows etc is the same as the characters they're portraying.

Typecasting just means when actors are just known for one specific genre and rarely go beyond that. E.G. John Wayne in several western films, Arnie, Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme in action films, Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn Will Ferrell in comedy films etc.

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daniel Day Lewis

Meryl Streep

GTFO! Neither of them play themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jackie Chan

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Notice comes to mind. Everyone was just playing themselves

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Am I the only one who doesn't have an issue with actors getting type-cast in specific role types? Like, I guess it sucks for the actor if they're having trouble getting something different, but I think having certain recognizable archetypes with an iconic actor tied to them helps get people quickly invested in characters. Most movies are working within a less than 2 hour timeframe after all.

RDCDesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joe Pesci, Jim Carey, Luke Wilson

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Chuck Norris are two others.

D00mSlayer1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Cusack, Tom Cruise, Sam Elliot, Mark Wahlberg, and Emma Roberts.

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cosmic_reign

Snoop Dogg. Lol

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheInsufferable

Nick Cage literally played himself in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, but in seriousness, while it's true that he has many similar roles, he has actually played some characters which are different. Like if anyone bothers watching Adaptation (in which he actually plays two brothers with pretty different personalities), it's definitely not the same Nick as say, Wild at Heart. It's just that most people don't even bother watching his less mainstream movies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dwayne Johnson

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47 Lunacyde  Moderator

Most comedians and pure action stars.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The list is pretty big, but here are several that stand out the most:

• Will Smith
  • The Rock
  • Will Smith
  • Ryan Reynolds
  • Kevin Hart
  • Will Smith
  • Arnold
  • Tom Hanks
  • Tom Cruise

And only one or two of those I actually like as actors a.k.a as being themselves lol.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

He's not super famous but J.B. Smoove takes me out of any role he's in because he has the same exact delivery every time. I feel bad for criticizing him, because I think it's a speech impediment, but he's a comedy actor with no range who's unfunny in so many things.

Christopher Walken plays himself too, but it doesn't really bug me.

Ryan Reynolds

Kevin Hart and the Rock. When they're alone but especially when they're together in a movie.

Matthew McConaughey

Jennifer Aniston

Adam Sandler and every friend of Adam Sandler who keeps starring in Adam Sandler movies

Michelle Rodriguez

Jessie Eisenberg

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Surprised nobody hasn't mentioned Samuel L. Jackson.

I was thinking about it, but a lot of Samuel L Jackson characters are radically different aside from their volume or tone. He has enough range to not be considered one of the worst offenders.