Posted by TonyMartial (7884 posts) 21 days, 6 hours ago

Poll: A Quiet Place vs Bird Box - Which universe would you choose to live in? (33 votes)

A Quiet Place 76%
Bird Box 24%
#1 Posted by mrmonster (13598 posts) - - Show Bio

A Quiet Place. The only way I think I could survive for even a few weeks in the world of Bird Box is if I took a knife or a hot poker and just blinded myself. The temptation to take off my blindfold would get to me after a while. I feel like I could last longer in a Quiet Place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c32bf8a2c6ae
#2 Posted by deactivated-5c32bf8a2c6ae (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Quiet Place. I feel like it would be easier to navigate.

Plus I value sight over speech.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#3 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3826 posts) - - Show Bio

A Quiet Place stomps. It is so easy to just set up a house near a waterfall or some other naturally loud structure and live normally, only being silent whenever you move to get supplies.

#4 Posted by the_stegman (40002 posts) - - Show Bio

Quiet Place. With Bird Box, not only do you have to avoid the weird aliens, but the crazy humans who do their bidding too.

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
#5 Posted by xMangog__Beastx (4209 posts) - - Show Bio

Quiet place.

#6 Posted by BullPR (5632 posts) - - Show Bio

Quiet place too

#7 Posted by Kingyang (837 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even see how the world collapsed in A Quiet pLace. I'd rather be quiet than blind.

#8 Posted by Richubs (2977 posts) - - Show Bio

Sight is much more useful compared to speech if you wanna live.

#9 Posted by ourmanuel (8267 posts) - - Show Bio

A quiet place because I wouldn’t mind all the chatterboxes in my life dying.

#10 Posted by Helloman (26744 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people really want me to see Bird Box, but I'm just going to ignore them.

#11 Posted by Tyger (2806 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingyang: I'm with this, How does the noise of a city not drive these creatures off quick?

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#12 Posted by MyLittleFascist (30808 posts) - - Show Bio

A Quiet Place stomps. It is so easy to just set up a house near a waterfall or some other naturally loud structure and live normally, only being silent whenever you move to get supplies.

Being silent is impossible. People are loud. You step on sticks, you stub your toe, you sneeze, cough, fart, there is no way anyone would survive as long as that family did, and how the hell are you going to build an entire house?

#13 Posted by MyLittleFascist (30808 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd pick Bird Box. I'd probably end up looking at the monsters anyways, just because I'd be way too damn curious not to, but like... Overall, I don't think it would be too hard to devise means of moving around without seeing the creatures.

#15 Posted by FaradaySloth (6514 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather get myself killed by these monsters instantly instead of torturing myself with a false sense of hope and survival.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#16 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3826 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespartanb345t said:

Being silent is impossible. People are loud. You step on sticks, you stub your toe, you sneeze, cough, fart, there is no way anyone would survive as long as that family did, and how the hell are you going to build an entire house?

Pretty easy: generate very loud sounds while you do things (like a protected speaker blasting music) and stay a small distance from the sound. The speaker/noise will drown out other noises and the monsters won't be able to track you specifically. Then you keep some sort of constant sound nearby to distract the monsters while you live your life. If it is possible to scream at a waterfall and not get caught, then I'm sure that this could be easily manipulated to your advantage.

#17 Posted by MyLittleFascist (30808 posts) - - Show Bio

But the monsters would just destroy the speakers, and how are you going to set those speakers up without making sound?

#18 Posted by Azureus (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

...People think keeping silent will be easier than having a blindfold on? Hell you can even blind yourself if it comes to that. Realistically speaking you can't do anything to strongly establish any proper defences without attracting these things. Meanwhile aside from the creatures in BB, you got the psychos to watch out for which can be solved by either being properly armed yourself or staying with a large armed group. There won't be 100% security, but it certainly is easier than trying not to make noises.

#19 Posted by Super_ninja (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

BirdBox.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#20 Posted by IndomitableRegal (15096 posts) - - Show Bio

A Quiet Place easy. That just sounds peaceful lol. You really want to be worried... live in A Quiet Bird Box. O_O

A Quiet Place was the better movie btw.

#21 Posted by JohnCena69swag (3678 posts) - - Show Bio

Bird box. Just drop acid and you're immune to the monsters lol. Cant imagine that a bunch of xanax or cocaine wouldnt work either.

#22 Posted by modernww2fare (6889 posts) - - Show Bio

A Quiet Place

#23 Posted by mexcomics2078 (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite place. The sense of sight is very important to survive

#24 Edited by mrmonster (13598 posts) - - Show Bio

@azureus:

"People think keeping silent will be easier than having a blindfold on? Hell you can even blind yourself if it comes to that."

And then what? Unless you just so happen to have an indoor farm (or at least one very close to where you live) you're going to die almost immediately.

"...you got the psychos to watch out for which can be solved by either being properly armed yourself or staying with a large armed group."

How are you going to defend yourself against those people when you can't even open your eyes without succumbing to the monster? You're literally fighting blind.

#25 Posted by Azureus (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster:

And then what? Unless you just so happen to have an indoor farm (or at least one very close to where you live) you're going to die almost immediately.

Or local grocery store, supermarket, considering no one wants to go outside...but sure, let's pretend that these are harder circumstances than living in the world of A Quiet Place. Where you literally can't make any sound. You can block, impair or remove your vision. You can't avoid making sounds and can only muffle them at best.

How are you going to defend yourself against those people when you can't even open your eyes without succumbing to the monster? You're literally fighting blind.

This is only assuming you encounter them outside or an exposed area...and you seem to forget the monster isn't omnipresent, Tom had enough time to take out a few of those guys before even seeing the monster. With Birds to help alert you to their presence there's no reason this isn't feasible.

#26 Posted by mrmonster (13598 posts) - - Show Bio
@azureus said:

@mrmonster:

Or local grocery store, supermarket, considering no one wants to go outside...but sure, let's pretend that these are harder circumstances than living in the world of A Quiet Place. Where you literally can't make any sound. You can block, impair or remove your vision. You can't avoid making sounds and can only muffle them at best.

This is only assuming you encounter them outside or an exposed area...and you seem to forget the monster isn't omnipresent, Tom had enough time to take out a few of those guys before even seeing the monster. With Birds to help alert you to their presence there's no reason this isn't feasible.

Couple things.

• Getting to a grocery store blindfolded would be almost impossible, unless you live within the immediate vicininty of one. I'm talking like, across the street or just down the road a little. (which is possible, I don't know where you live, but it's not likely). Or unless you have a very plot convenient GPS, like the group did in the movie. In A Quiet Place you could get there as long as you walk quietly, which really isn't that hard if you walk on the road.
  • You make it sound like even the slightest noise would be an instant death sentence. The family stayed mostly under the radar until the mom had to give birth.
  • You can't stay hunkered down forever. If the sickos find you (which they will at some point) you're going to have to face them, which is almost certain death. Like you said, best case scenario you take off your blindfold and get off a few lucky shots before you see the monster.
  • In A Quiet Place the monsters can be beaten, provided you shoot them in the right spot. The Bird Box monster is not beatable.

#27 Posted by MyLittleFascist (30808 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster:

It wouldn't be impossible, you just have to do it slowly and carefully. It's not like there are cars on the road that are going to hit you on accident.

Or unless you have a very plot convenient GPS, like the group did in the movie.

You say that like GPS isn't extremely common these days...

You make it sound like even the slightest noise would be an instant death sentence. The family stayed mostly under the radar until the mom had to give birth.

That's called plot. Not to mention a jack shit ton of preparation that was conveniently glossed over prior to the start of the story.

You can't stay hunkered down forever. If the sickos find you (which they will at some point) you're going to have to face them, which is almost certain death. Like you said, best case scenario you take off your blindfold and get off a few lucky shots before you see the monster.

The world is very big. I think the chances of someone being able to avoid confrontation are actually pretty solid...

#28 Posted by Gaoron (7665 posts) - - Show Bio

If not for the controlled men I would go with Bird Box without hesitation. It's way easier to not see than not make a noise and "monster" in Bird Box can't do nothing to you as long as you don't see him. Just grab GPS and some stick and you're safe.

#29 Posted by mrmonster (13598 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist:

It wouldn't be impossible, you just have to do it slowly and carefully. It's not like there are cars on the road that are going to hit you on accident.

Yeah, but there would be plenty of accidental wrecks that you'd hit on your drive. And unless you live very close to the store, you're definitely not going to find it on foot when you can't even see. Maybe you live very close to a grocery store, I don't know. But most of us don't, and finding one, even one we've been to before, will be pretty much impossible without our eyes.

You say that like GPS isn't extremely common these days...

In a scenario like this, they wouldn't be. How long until your phone or your iPad is dead? A couple hours, maybe a day if it's on maximum battery saving mode. At that point, unless your car has one like in the movie, you're hosed.

The world is very big. I think the chances of someone being able to avoid confrontation are actually pretty solid...

Sure, maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere. But if you live in any kind of city or town, someone's gonna find you. There are a lot of mentally ill people in our world who'd fall prey to the thing, you'd have to pretty isolated to avoid them.

#30 Edited by Doofasa (1628 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite Place no question. Just be around something noisy and you’ll be fine. Hell a house on a beach that has regular wind/waves would be liveable. Or anything near flowing water. And your only option is not to build a house, you could just find one in the initial chaos if you’re lucky.

Bird Box would 100% be unliveable due to the crazies, and who’s to say they wouldn’t still kill you if you blinded yourself.

#31 Posted by ganon15 (7008 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa said:

Quite Place no question. Just be around something noisy and you’ll be fine. Hell a house on a beach that has regular wind/waves would be liveable. Or anything near flowing water. And your only option is not to build a house, you could just find one in the initial chaos if you’re lucky.

Bird Box would 100% be unliveable due to the crazies, and who’s to say they wouldn’t still kill you if you blinded yourself.

#32 Posted by MyLittleFascist (30808 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster:

Yeah, but there would be plenty of accidental wrecks that you'd hit on your drive. And unless you live very close to the store, you're definitely not going to find it on foot when you can't even see. Maybe you live very close to a grocery store, I don't know. But most of us don't, and finding one, even one we've been to before, will be pretty much impossible without our eyes.

You don't drive, you go on foot. YOU DO have eyes, you just have to use them strategically. You go from landmark to landmark, and only use your vision to check your surroundings within short distances. If you're familiar with your area and don't panic, you'll be just fine.

Besides, you don't even necessarily need a grocery store. Most houses will still have supplies since the majority of the population got wiped out at the very beginning of the issue.

In a scenario like this, they wouldn't be. How long until your phone or your iPad is dead? A couple hours, maybe a day if it's on maximum battery saving mode. At that point, unless your car has one like in the movie, you're hosed.

There are ways to charge these things even without electricity and a lot of cars these days have built in GPS anyways.

Sure, maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere. But if you live in any kind of city or town, someone's gonna find you. There are a lot of mentally ill people in our world who'd fall prey to the thing, you'd have to pretty isolated to avoid them.

Looking for you in a city is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

#33 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36295 posts) - - Show Bio

Um Insibible Monsters and a few crazy humans vs Killer Monsters that will tear u to pieces if u so much as fart loudly?? And people are choosing quite place? REALLLY????

#34 Posted by AnimeSensei (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Bird Box all day. If you got Birds or find a pet store with birds your set

#35 Posted by WollfMyth209 (15588 posts) - - Show Bio

I am diagnosed with a mental illness, tho it is mild... So I might actually possibly maybe survive seeing the Whatevers in Bird Box.

Meanwhile, I'd probably laugh at my own jokes after two days so the Whatevers from Quiet Place will come get me.