Comic Book Question of the Week RESULTS: Favorite Moon Knight Artist

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Moon Knight Month is racing towards its end and, this week, we wanted you to reflect on all of the talented artists that have given the Marvel anti-hero so much life. The brutal dude has been around since 1975 and plenty of creative minds have had the opportunity to work with the character, but, according to the Comic Vine voters, three of these artists left the most powerful impression. The poll was neck and neck for most of the week, but the latest artist to work with the Fist of Khonshu, Declan Shalvey, has taken a narrow lead! Huzzah for Shalvey!

Declan Shalvey
Declan Shalvey

Shalvey's style is a great fit for Moon Knight, so it should come as no surprise the guy received a whole lot of love. Not only does his darker style do a terrific job bringing Marc Spector's twisted and violent world front and center, but the panels are creatively handled, too. As you can see above, something as simple as hitting an enemy through a door is executed in such a cool and cinematic way. Moon Knight's shadow looming over the fallen enemy is such a nice touch and adds to how fearsome the character can be. Throw in Jordie Bellaire's colors and you have a mighty fine looking volume of Moon Knight! Let's see what some Comic Viners had to say about the Fist of Khonshu's artists.

Hit_Monkey

"Bill Sienkiewicz all the way. Once he got into the swing of it. His Moon Knight art was stunning. I loved all of Finch, Texeira and Shalvey's work on MK but Sienkiewicz's was something else. Some of his pages could literally be quite beautiful to behold. Like the last page of vol 1 #23."

Bill Sienkiewicz
Bill Sienkiewicz

greenlucario

"Finch, his art was gritty, dark, and at times down right brutal, perfect for Moon Knight. But Deodato, Texeira, and Sienkiewicz are all so great it was a tough choice."

David Finch
David Finch

Danial79

"Finch was the one who brought me into Moon Knight's world, and his gritty detail is second to none, but since going back and reading Moon Knight's earlier series, I've developed a certain fondness and appreciation for Sienkiewicz's work."

Here's the poll results. In case you're wondering, it looks like the "other" vote went to Tomm Coker.

No Caption Provided

What's YOUR favorite picture of Moon Knight by Declan Shalvey? Go ahead and post it below! Also, feel free to share future question ideas in the comments below or via Twitter! Want to continue celebrating Moon Knight? We've posted his Best Covers, Best Battles, he's currently fighting Black Canary (vote here!), and his Must Read Stories will be posted on Friday.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

David Finch is mine. Im not really a fan of Decan's work to be honest. Decan isnt horrible now but he isnt the best.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Close one but all of the top three are amazing

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I've always liked Declan's work and he does an awesome job on Moon Knight. A shame he's leaving.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

very close battle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Texeira needs more votes!!

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I am so mad people think that Stephen Platt's MK was on par with Garney, and just smudge below Tex..that is a outrage

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Close one but all of the top three are amazing

This. Plus thanks k4tz for the comment of the week!

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By Winter_Kills

Wow, I'm really surprised, even though Shalvey's an awesome artist, I really expected Sienkiewicz to come out on top. I mean, just look at that eerie, atmospheric image at the top of the page. It oozes everything MK is about. But I was glad to see it was a close race between those two and Finch, Finch did some bloody awesome & iconic MK art and defined him for a lot of people that knew nothing about him. To me, those 3 deserve to come neck and neck, they've all defined an era for Moon Knight across separate volumes.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: To me, his art is too simple for me. Its not impressive. Its like a guy who got C's in his art class got the job. I mean, i can tolerate it but when compared to artist like DC's Gary Frank, Steve Mcknieven,Ivan reis, Finch,Nicola scott ETC, It aint nothing to hype about.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finch

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@rainja: How is this in anyway simple?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for admiral_ironbeast
Admiral_IronBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Talk about a photo finish. I'd personally say that Finch and Sienkiewicz won this one, as Shalvey has a proximity bias, making his an unreliable vote :)

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: he has to be trolling, clearly. Declan's work is awesome even I'd go with Sienkewicz as top dog.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: That is one of the coolest, trippiest comic panels I've seen in years. It reminds me of something from Alan Moore, but stands out on its own as well. Shalvey has earned his spot, definitely, and this panel proves it. With Warren Ellis he's brought MK back to a level of fan and critical acclaim that he hasn't had- and has deserved- in years. After Bendis & Maleev's run(even though Maleev is a great artist in his own right), which I wasn't wowed by(besides the art), I thought MK's shot at a lasting solo series was gone- then Ellis, Shalvey & company came along & met & exceeded expectations. Hope the quality continues with season 2.

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZbvmX

Damn, I missed voting on this poll :( Would've loved to cast my vote for Mico Suayan.

But I have to also give props to COLOR ARTIST -her majesty- Jordie Bellaire! Without her, the current MK book wouldn't be as good as it is right now (just take a look at the psychedelic panels that @jonny_anonymous posted above).

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Woo Hoo up the Irish.

wundagoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

With this top 3, you can choose but you can't lose. Triumvirate of Awesome.