inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The moment a lot of fans have been waiting for, since the start of the series, is here. Miles Morales and Norman Osborn have a no holds barred, drag-out fight. Peter Parker Spider-Man returns to help even the score as well.

If you wanted a fight of pretty epic proportions, then this is the issue for you. This fight is pretty dang brutal and doesn't let up, even though it destroys the neighborhood around Miles. David Marquez (art) and Justin Ponsor (colors) really deliver a lot of suspense and drama through their art in this issue. There's some particularly great looking moments, like web Miles hits Osborn in the face, with the helicopter shining a light down on them. The color work here is awesome, especially on Osborn's face.

Marquez makes his page layouts as chaotic as the battle itself in this issue. Each page is unique and gives the readers a new perspective on what is happening in this fight. Each page offers something new from this fight and this is a book Marquez was born to draw. He takes a lot of chances with the way he presents Bendis' writing and it has yet to disappoint.

In addition to this fight, we get to see the reactions to those closest to Peter and Miles: Ganke, Gwen Stacy, Aunt May, etc. This fight isn't just a one-on-one (two) happening. Everything happening here has a ripple effect through the Ultimate Universe, and it's nice to see looks on other people's faces that are glued to their televisions/computers/tablets, during this.

The Bad

MILES MORALES is starting to feel very formulaic. The past couple of issues have been a moment in time more, contributing to the story, rather than something a little more fleshed out. Miles has a problem, he faces said problem, it looks like he's going to fail, someone comes in to help out, and cliffhanger. While it's a fun ride, there's still little given to the reader about what is going on with Peter Parker and the Spider-Crooks, which is fine in a sense, but still a tad frustrating.

The Verdict

MILES MORALES #4 gives fans a fight, but puts a hold on a few of the sub-plots/mysteries that made the kick off to this series amazing. The issue is a ton of fun and has some gorgeous artwork, and it's still one of Marvel's top books, month after month. If you haven't been reading this series, what are you waiting for? Mile Morales is the greatest Spider-Man ever. I said it.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By micah007123

Great review. The Ultimate Universe rules.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

is it the real ultimate Peter Parker?

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, there's been no advancement on the Spider-Crooks or Miles' dad since the first issue. Too many balls in the air.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

GUYS TALK TO ME WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS ISSUE!!!!

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Awesome issue but why do the covers and solicits just straight up lie?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6 inferiorego  Staff

Two people fought

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@master_thief: Miles is fighting Norman and is putting up a semi-decent fight but you can tell that he doesn't stand a chance....until "Peter" shows up..."Peter" and Norman fight and during the fight Miles manages to get a spider sting in on Norman which takes him down for a moment but he runs away right after....the entire fight is being broadcasted over the news and we see reactions from all of Peter's and Miles' loved ones and Aunt May says that she knows that this is her Peter...then the issue ends...also we get a little of Kate's reaction to the news she received last issue as she tells her older sister about even telling her that Miles is Spider-man...their conversation leads us to believe that her parents may be supervillains of some sort

harashkupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_thief said:

Two people fought

Technically 3 and 2 sisters bonded.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_thief: Miles is fighting Norman and is putting up a semi-decent fight but you can tell that he doesn't stand a chance....until "Peter" shows up..."Peter" and Norman fight and during the fight Miles manages to get a spider sting in on Norman which takes him down for a moment but he runs away right after....the entire fight is being broadcasted over the news and we see reactions from all of Peter's and Miles' loved ones and Aunt May says that she knows that this is her Peter...then the issue ends...also we get a little of Kate's reaction to the news she received last issue as she tells her older sister about even telling her that Miles is Spider-man...their conversation leads us to believe that her parents may be supervillains of some sort

OH MAN I hope it is him

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love this book and the cliffhangers definitely do what they're intended to do in that I'm always left reeling and wanting more but the plot really isn't advancing enough per issue....I want some revelations! I want some payoff!

Egie_Asemota1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: mat 'the tease', keep up the good work man. love this comic and character.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

OH MAN I hope it is him

I'm not really sure what I want at this point....Peter Parker's death was without a doubt one of the best done deaths in comics...it's had lasting ramifications on the UU that are still being felt today....he sacrificed himself saving his family and in his way made up for the fact that he couldn't save Uncle Ben...I'm usually not one of those people who claims that a character's resurrection makes his death/sacrifice null and void since it really doesn't..the character would have had no idea at the time that they would be returning so they were still willing to make the ultimate sacrifice...but I kind of feel that with Norman and Peter both back that it does indeed take away from that moment and the feelings that we all had over his death

on the other hand...I've already thought of a way that they could bring him back without using resurrection at all....Norman has come back from the "dead" multiple times by simply having a very powerful healing factor thanks to the OZ...the same OZ that gave Peter his powers....who's to say that Peter didn't really die at all and recovered back at the Triskelion and that due to his identity being known by the whole world now Fury forces him into hiding to protect Peter's family....well now SHIELD is gone so Peter breaks out of Fury's witness protection and goes to take back his life

or it's a clone...it's probably a clone

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I think Aunt May and the gang are in for another heartbreak...

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baron_BJ

@danhimself said:

@master_thief said:

@danhimself said:

OH MAN I hope it is him

I'm not really sure what I want at this point....Peter Parker's death was without a doubt one of the best done deaths in comics...it's had lasting ramifications on the UU that are still being felt today....he sacrificed himself saving his family and in his way made up for the fact that he couldn't save Uncle Ben...I'm usually not one of those people who claims that a character's resurrection makes his death/sacrifice null and void since it really doesn't..the character would have had no idea at the time that they would be returning so they were still willing to make the ultimate sacrifice...but I kind of feel that with Norman and Peter both back that it does indeed take away from that moment and the feelings that we all had over his death

on the other hand...I've already thought of a way that they could bring him back without using resurrection at all....Norman has come back from the "dead" multiple times by simply having a very powerful healing factor thanks to the OZ...the same OZ that gave Peter his powers....who's to say that Peter didn't really die at all and recovered back at the Triskelion and that due to his identity being known by the whole world now Fury forces him into hiding to protect Peter's family....well now SHIELD is gone so Peter breaks out of Fury's witness protection and goes to take back his life

I disagree with this greatly. Undoing Peter's death (which they won't do, of this I have no doubt), especially in the way that's been depicted thus-far would really be a stain on the character. He dies to save his loved ones and then just chooses to block them out and ignore them completely for over 2 years (in universe time), without even a message to inform them that he's still alive and hiding to protect them to alleviate their suffering?

As to your theory (not bad, I'll admit), but it seems strange. Peter never cowed to Nick Fury in the past, he always fought back. Short of literally imprisoning the character I have difficulty believing Peter would have just sucked it up for 2+ years.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself

@baron_bj said:

@danhimself said:

@master_thief said:

@danhimself said:

OH MAN I hope it is him

I disagree with this greatly. Undoing Peter's death (which they won't do, of this I have no doubt), especially in the way that's been depicted thus-far would really be a stain on the character. He dies to save his loved ones and then just chooses to block them out and ignore them completely for over 2 years (in universe time), without even a message to inform them that he's still alive and hiding to protect them to alleviate their suffering?

I didn't say that he chose to do it...I said that Fury forces him in to witness protection...it makes sense since as soon as SHIELD is gone Peter comes back

mind you this is all just theories at this point

maxxyconan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, this is just my opinion based on one thing that Peter says. He says to Miles, "oh yeah, you did that to me too." after seeing Norman be venom blasted. As I recall from Spider-Men, Miles did this to Original Peter when he crossed over dimensions. Not sure why he is over here again, but this makes more sense than bringing him back alive.

VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, this is just my opinion based on one thing that Peter says. He says to Miles, "oh yeah, you did that to me too." after seeing Norman be venom blasted. As I recall from Spider-Men, Miles did this to Original Peter when he crossed over dimensions. Not sure why he is over here again, but this makes more sense than bringing him back alive.

When alleged resurrected Peter broke into Miles' apartment or whatever, Miles venom blasted him there. I think. I believe that was in issue 2.

maxxyconan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaizd: Oh.....gotta get that issue. Sorta just jumped on this one because of the cover.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, there's been no advancement on the Spider-Crooks or Miles' dad since the first issue. Too many balls in the air.

which is fine by me because they can always go back to it.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Trigg_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Trigg_
No Caption Provided

This is not the real Peter Parker. Miles is right he's a clone or something else maybe, but not Parker. I just feel sorry for Aunt May, her whole mind is going to be messed up...AGIAN!.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone else tired of Miles using his venom sting? It seems like every fight he is in has a formula: Gets thrashed by enemy, uses venom sting, magical KO.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

It's getting a tad boring,or is it only me?!

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calling it now he's not a clone but a Peter parker from a universe where a lot of people he loved died. That's why he doesn't want miles in the suit and he can't face the rest of the group. Its to painful to see them. Spiderverse is coming and ultimate ff had animal miles Morales. Here is basically spider men 2

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@werst9 said:

Calling it now he's not a clone but a Peter parker from a universe where a lot of people he loved died. That's why he doesn't want miles in the suit and he can't face the rest of the group. Its to painful to see them. Spiderverse is coming and ultimate ff had animal miles Morales. Here is basically spider men 2

I don't remember him telling miles to stop. I just remember him demanding HIS webshooters back....even though there should be two pairs, the ones he made and the ones stark made for him.

Did he tell miles to stop?

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 owie  Moderator

What's surprising to me is that Marquez (who is a great artist) is less good at drawing the Peter version of Spider-Man than any other character. He just doens't look as fleshed out to me.

I'm assuming that Katie Bishop's parents are the new tech-Spider-men?

@goonage said:

Is anyone else tired of Miles using his venom sting? It seems like every fight he is in has a formula: Gets thrashed by enemy, uses venom sting, magical KO.

Yeah, I hear you on that.

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Yeah, though I don't care for your idea I'd really want to see Peter's attempts at escaping this "witness protection" program. It doesn't help that there'd be motivation for Fury to keep him there; he was reinstated as head of SHIELD because of Peter's death, were he to come back his position may appear less secure. Fury has always come across as deceptive and conniving, doing anything he can do to make sure everything is safe and he'd conceivably see Peter as a threat to his ability to maintain that safety if he returned. Never came across like he'd been cold enough to outright kill Peter so this seems in character enough for Fury.

@owie said:

@goonage said:

Yeah, I hear you on that.

This has become a real sticking point for me as well. I understand that Miles is still meant to come across as inexperienced but can't lose because he'd F***ing die, leaving his venom sting as far too easy of an out. I don't want the ability gone, but it really needs to be nerfed hard.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ben reilly?! COULD IT BE?! No...I'll just be in my corner...alone...

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man i'm just waiting for ultimate kitty pryde's reaction that "peter" is still alive.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am definitely getting the vibe that Kate's parents are going to be some kind of huge reveal. I don't know enough of this Ultimate Universe to guess who, though. Not happy she revealed Miles' secret of being Spider-Man to her sister but then again, I'm thinking this whole parent thing will explain why.

I really enjoyed the fight between Miles and Norman, and having Peter join in was more of an enhancement. There could no doubt Miles needed the help (plus the feeling Peter got his revenge in defeating Norman), but the reaction from people closest to them has me a little put out. Especially because of MJ. I don't know what it is, but I am feeling really bad for her, here.

I'm surprised this review revealed Peter jumping into the fight. I thought that was a nice surprise. I guess being a n00b has its advantages.

Oh, but no on Miles being the better Spider-Man. No, no, no. I want to scratch that off an otherwise fun review, haha.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm very conflicted. On one hand I love that this is one of the best threads of continuity for the Ultimate Universe. On the other hand, if they don't handle this with care they might unravel a good portion of what they built. Still, very interested to see where it goes.

necrus666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, going to throw it out there. Kaine was still alive at the end of the clone saga and was taken by Shield. They have had him for a while now. He could have been cured of his degeneration. Maybe we'll get an ultimate Ben Rielly ( the name of the man responsible for his creation). I hope so the ultimate universe just doesn't do it for me with out a Parker behind the mask.