Why are people still insisting that MCU Captain Marvel is stronger than Thanos?

• 82 results
kalkent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This right here should get rid of any doubt of which between the two is stronger.

No Caption Provided

Thanos, with the arm that took the force of two snaps, the second one being drastically more powerful than the first, overpowers Captain Marvel's leg(which is stronger than an arm), and the effort of banner and the rest of the avengers are needed to subdue him. He also tossed her like a fly during the final battle as well. She only began overpowering him once she grabbed the ig(not a coincidence).

Misterpollas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d28a8d99844a
deactivated-5d28a8d99844a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she is physically stronger than him...

If you want it or not

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because facts don't care about your feelings.

Wot_m8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sHe's A sTrONk iNdEpEnDAnT wOMaN

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@kalkent said:

This right here should get rid of any doubt of which between the two is stronger.

Thanos, with the arm that took the force of two snaps, the second one being drastically more powerful than the first, overpowers Captain Marvel's leg(which is stronger than an arm), and the effort of banner and the rest of the avengers are needed to subdue him. He also tossed her like a fly during the final battle as well. She only began overpowering him once she grabbed the ig(not a coincidence).

Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They appear to be close in strength people are cherry picky gifs either side.

The best thing Thanos has going for him is in both instances he is using one arm only and both times it’s a crippled arm and the second time it’s the arm channeling the gauntlet energy.

You can nitpick and add that she can amp her strength with flight leverage.

And you can nitpick and say Thanos also used the same arm prior while holding off both Thor and Cap.

PrimelyGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 takenstew22  Moderator

@g2_ said:
@kalkent said:

Agreed.

x2

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

She overpowered him by herself and he had to cheat using the stone to win? Pretty sure that was obvious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e37510e25a10
deactivated-5e37510e25a10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’d say the moment she overpowered him is questionable only because she’s absorbed large amounts of energy to increase her power before. She physically showed that overpowering his one arm required effort. So the scene in the hutt much more demonstrates what would happen naturally with no interference. She more than likely isn’t stronger but like Wanda she derives her power from a stone so she can contend with him.

Namebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she was absorbing power from the stones at the end.

kalkent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She overpowered him by herself and he had to cheat using the stone to win? Pretty sure that was obvious.

She only overpowered him once she grabbed the gauntlet and stopped the energy surge from thanos and began glowing very brightly. I don't get how you can ignore a walking corpse thanos completely overpowering a leg with an arm that had just snapped twice.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@kalkent said:
@diarrhearegatta said:

She only overpowered him once she grabbed the gauntlet and stopped the energy surge from thanos and began glowing very brightly.

She had his number the whole time and no sold his headbutt. It's already known that Marvel using her powers causes her to glow brightly.

Don't start with the "muh she drained teh gauntlet!!" because there's absolutely nothing proving that and everyone and their mother have tried to justify that fight using that reasoning. Guess what? Nothing came out of it because people realised that couldn't happen.

I don't get how you can ignore a walking corpse

He seemed completely fine apart from scarring on one side of his body and reduced mobility in his arm. "walking corpse" my hairy bottom.

thanos completely overpowering a leg with an arm that had just snapped twice.

He moved his arm up a bit. That's not "overpowering" anything, and isn't worth any salt.

kalkent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diarrhearegatta:

She had his number the whole time and no sold his headbutt. It's already known that Marvel using her powers causes her to glow brightly.

Had his number the whole time? He swatted her like a fly prior to her grabbing the gauntlet.

Don't start with the "muh she drained teh gauntlet!!" because there's absolutely nothing proving that and everyone and their mother have tried to justify that fight using that reasoning. Guess what? Nothing came out of it because people realised that couldn't happen.

Nope, I am going to start with that. Nothing proving that? Let's see, stops the energy surge going through thanos's arm once she grabs it, begins glowing way brighter than normal, and the fact that the russos have said that thanos is stronger than any individual avenger, including CM. Not sure what the attitude is about here man.

He seemed completely fine apart from scarring on one side of his body and reduced mobility in his arm. "walking corpse" my hairy bottom.

There it is with your attitude again. It was major scarring. Half his face was basically burnt off, and Thanos stated that the snap nearly killed him.

He moved his arm up a bit. That's not "overpowering" anything, and isn't worth any salt.

We must be watching two different things. He completely no sold the bullrush and energy blast and would have completely removed CM's arm had banner not come out from underneath.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: she held his one arm with holding onto his fingers then using fling pushes him down onto his knee.

Still great strength but there are plenty of nitpicks either side imo wen rewatching the whole battle and the earlier crippled showing.

I really do hope the dvd commentary clears some things up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c
deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalkent I'm pretty sure she can amp her physicals with her energy. It's even on the MCU wiki. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's how she achieves those space-ship destruction feats. A weaker and near-dead Thanos overpowered her physically. But when she used her powers, a stronger Thanos got cucked.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@kalkent said:

@diarrhearegatta:

Had his number the whole time? He swatted her like a fly prior to her grabbing the gauntlet.

That doesn't really prove much considering she took the swat easily and then came back just fine. She was beating him down pretty bad as well prior to that.

Nope, I am going to start with that. Nothing proving that? Let's see, stops the energy surge going through thanos's arm once she grabs it,

Nothing clear there.....

begins glowing way brighter than normal,

Already explained as she uses more of her power to overpower Thanos. Simple logic here.

A and the fact that the russos have said that thanos is stronger than any individual avenger, including CM.

Death of the Author and idk if they mentioned Marvel by name considering she's not a official Avenger. The Russo's are also pretty inconsistent and that scene was a group attack, not just Marvel

Not sure what the attitude is about here man.

idk what attitude you are referring to

There it is with your attitude again. It was major scarring. Half his face was basically burnt off, and Thanos stated that the snap nearly killed him.

Yeah, it's scarring. Snap nearly killed him but he was fine, walking about and didn't seem in any pain. Hulk took the snap worse but still maintained his strength, Thanos by theory should be in even better shape, considering he's far more durable and he's had more time to rest.

We must be watching two different things. He completely no sold the bullrush and energy blast and would have completely removed CM's arm had banner not come out from underneath.

Erm, that's hard speculation. Marvel could have easily got Thanos into a bad position and immobilised him easily while she was moving around, but that's also speculation based on nothing solid.

I'm not seeing your point and it's clear the points you do have don't have enough weight behind them to actually matter.

MattyBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightgate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar said:

@kalkentI'm pretty sure she can amp her physicals with her energy. It's even on the MCU wiki. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's how she achieves those space-ship destruction feats. A weaker and near-dead Thanos overpowered her physically. But when she used her powers, a stronger Thanos got cucked.

Many other people, have stated the same thing since her warhead feat. But everytime evidence is presented supporting her being able to amp her stats, we’re called wankers.

kalkent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diarrhearegatta: Alright, i forgot that she can amp her physicals according to the energy she uses, I concede. @rajjar thanks for pointing that out.

Namebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: @nightgate: Are you saying she is absorbing energy from the warhead and the ships?

Avatar image for deactivated-6052e8e44cb84
deactivated-6052e8e44cb84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took 2 arms for Marvel to try and overpower him then she used her flight to raise herself up. She's not stronger than Thanos at all. I mean, Thanos in the same scene even held her in place when she tried to push forward. Thanos is clearly stronger as if the garden scene wasn't evident enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightgate said:
@rajjar said:

@kalkentI'm pretty sure she can amp her physicals with her energy. It's even on the MCU wiki. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's how she achieves those space-ship destruction feats. A weaker and near-dead Thanos overpowered her physically. But when she used her powers, a stronger Thanos got cucked.

Many other people, have stated the same thing since her warhead feat. But everytime evidence is presented supporting her being able to amp her stats, we’re called wankers.

I think having fought Thanos twice gives her a solid comparison for the difference between energy and no-energy. It isn't a debate anymore. If her strength didn't change without actively using her powers, then a bicep flex from a twice mauled arm shouldn't have even moved her leg at all. The fight ended there, but that's blatantly obvious.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 anthp2000  Moderator

Because this is cherrypicked and they're clearly comparable looking at all their fights.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalkent said:

@diarrhearegatta: Alright, i forgot that she can amp her physicals according to the energy she uses, I concede. @rajjar thanks for pointing that out.

Nice to see that you listened to what others had to say and changed your mind based on the evidence. I respect that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@namebk said:

@rajjar: @nightgate: Are you saying she is absorbing energy from the warhead and the ships?

No. The source of the power is all hers.

kalkent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because this is cherrypicked and they're clearly comparable looking at all their fights.

I don't think it is cherry picked. I just now think that Carol wasn't using that much energy to amp her physicals. Anyway, I already admitted my wrongs, and now I think that Thanos can be stronger, but not always depending on the amount of energy she uses.

Avatar image for deactivated-6052e8e44cb84
deactivated-6052e8e44cb84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tbh it'd actually be worse for Carol if she has to amp herself to do anything noteworthy strength wise lmao

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

Thanos > Normal CM

Energy form CM >/= Thanos

Simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either she was amping herself in the final fight and/or Thanos was injured but as usual the fanboys and fangirls are determined to wank her feat as much as possible. Take your pic.

nightgate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar said:
@namebk said:

No. The source of the power is all hers.

This.

She generates her own energy and she’s able to use said energy to amp her stats. Base CM isn’t weak, as Base Binary CM was able to catch and slow down a warhead. Amped CM increased her energy output to overcome the thrusters.

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos > Normal CM

Energy form CM >/= Thanos

Simple.

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

They are comparable. I feel Thanos is a bit stronger but they are extremely close.

ComicGirl21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The anwser is simple:

REBOOTS

Thanos has been rebooted more than any other MCU character. There are no two movies in the entire MCU where his aim, motivations, his powers, his strength, hell even his skin color is the same.

First Thanos is introduced CLEARLY as having a thing for death, just like in the comics...

No Caption Provided

Then he is hyped to be the most powerful being in the universe even without the stones...

No Caption Provided

and again, clearly has a thing for death, smiling every time he mentions a genocide...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Then after all this we learn that he is basically... a slightly stronger, and smarter Hulk...? With no powers of his own?

No Caption Provided

Which, by the way, clearly reduces him to a fodder instead of the strongest being in the universe. I mean how exactly does he compare to the guys like:

- Hela, who has almost inexhaustible healing factor, ability to conjure necroblades, raise zombie armies with eternal flame, and enough of her own strength to SOLO ASGARD.

- Ego, who almost conquered all of the universe by himself, can one shot an entire star fleet and is literally a PLANET.

- the Ancient One, who can one shot your soul out of your body, banish you to other dimensions, cut you in half with a sling ring, conjure all kinds of energy constructs and even warp reality in a mirror dimension.

- Dormammu, who is timeless and so powerful he is easily collecting entire planets or "worlds" into his dimension and can give even his fodder minions reality warping powers and immortality.

- Kurse, who can kill you with a touch, hurl hundreds of tons over his head and bitchslap Mjolnir with it's infinite weight, and ofc, throw a black hole grenade in your face that will atomize you no matter how durable you are.

and many others... and please notice that all of these characters were present when the claim about Thanos was made, and none of them are using infinity stones to be as powerful as they are. They simply ARE more powerful than Thanos, period.

Then we learn Thanos's motivations also changed. He isn't obsessed with death anymore, he is the savior of the universe, he only murders because he HAS TO and all he wants is the universe to be happy, hunger-less and balanced. His smile of a murdering bastard is gone, now he is all serious and sympathetic, and is gonna even cry out of love for his daughter.

No Caption Provided

Then in Endgame, he suddenly switches back to his killer mode. He sees that the universe is not grateful for being balanced and suddenly becomes a one dimensional evil character who just wants to destroy the entire universe and then create it back in his image, just like Malekith, Ego, and a hundred other flat villains before him. And oh, look! He is even gonna enjoy his plain and straight murdering again.

No Caption Provided

is powerset also completely changed... Yeah they didn't suddenly give him new powers, but how do you explain Thanos with THE INFINITY GAUNTLET getting one shot and overpowered by Stormbreaker Thor...

No Caption Provided

Clearly struggling to defeat Iron man in a solo fight and even bleeding in the process...

No Caption Provided

And even getting temporarily held off by Captain America

No Caption Provided

To Thanos kicking the ass of all 3 of the at the same time in Endgame, even though all 3 got significant powerups, and Thanos HAS NO INFINITY STONES NOW.

No Caption Provided

I mean do a simple math at this. It's like Thanos got 10 times powerup by LOSING THE GAUNTLET. It's ridiculous.

This is what happens when you try to make an entire cinematic universe but never do any serious long term planning on your franchise. Every movie in the MCU has their own director who is given a free hand, there are NO loremasters over this thing and that leads inevitably to massive plot holes, continuity errors, and yes, characters being rebooted with completely different traits and stats. There is no one "MCU Thanos".

There is "Endgame Thanos", "Infinity War Thanos" "GotG Thanos" etc. and each should be treated like a completely different character, which he is.

Misterpollas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bleidd

@comicgirl21:

Great post!

However, I don't think Thanos was ever meant to be the most powerful being in the MCU. I mean, have you considered the possibility that maybe Korath only believed Thanos to be the most powerful because he probably wasn't aware of the existence of these other powerhouses you mentioned? If you think about it then it's quite possible. Hela, Surtur and the Dark Elves came and went long before his time. Ego apparently kept to himself for the most part. Dormammu was from another dimension. Ancient One lived in a secluded place in a backwater planet and so on.

Also, I don't think he got any buff in Endgame. Clearly, he was more prepared and motivated to fight and "kill" the Avengers this time around and that's what made him more dangerous.

But yeah, for all the build up for the past decade, he sure as hell was disappointing as far as his powerset is concerned. As for Death, who knows he might still be courting her in the afterlife.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MainJP
No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awwwwww I wrote this big long post and deleted it by mistake so annoying lol feel like I had some decent points, I’ll maybe think about writing it again once I’m back from the doctors.

On the above convo IW Thanos and EG are officially two different people so that is true for that part.

But he absolutely has no trouble beating Iron Man or Cap lol the film (IW) couldn’t have been any clearer about that and Thors attack is a clear Amish and using new weaponry as a surprise, IW Thanos wanted a fair snap.

EG Thanos seen that he still dies and they try to undo his work so he comes down to fight focussed and prepares to do anything to win (rain fire etc).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightgate: @kalkent: @ready_4_madness: @apex_pretador: @misterpollas: @darthvaderrocks: @comicgirl21: @bleidd: @mainjp:

(Thanks to Majin I got this back may have missed a few tags)

I’m curious how come we don’t use the gauntlet damaging Thanos as a possible reason he struggled as well since it was seconds before? We clearly saw that’s the case for every person who wears all 6 even thanos in both films shows clear signs of pain but is able to tank it better than the rest.

It’s still ambiguous to me her durability is clearly on that level powered up due to the headbutt scene but her striking moments before seemed weaker than Worthy Cap.

Like I said ambiguous in both scenes -

Thanos holds off both Thor and Worthy Cap one handed and brought to one knee by a leveraged Mjolnir lock then uses his free arm too knock out Mjolnir escape etc.

Against Carol she grabs a hold of his fingers (on the same arm he used above) specifically with both arms and only goes one handed and pushes him back to one knee again while using leverage of flight to assist her, Thanos finally uses his left arm to grab the PG etc.

These scenes were moments a part and great scenes but still riddled with PIS since they all could have done things differently especially for me the glaring one is Thanos who is either stronger or on the same level as all mentioned didn’t even use his other arm in either grapple or even to just pick them up and throw them like we seen him do to both Thor and Carol in earlier conflicts.

Lastly just a little note to the comment about IW Thanos struggling against Iron Man or Cap you couldn’t be further from what the film was showing you.

ComicGirl21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ComicGirl21

@misterpollas said:

@comicgirl21: Good post

@bleidd said:

@comicgirl21:

Great post!

Thanks! guys!

However, I don't think Thanos was ever meant to be the most powerful being in the MCU. I mean, have you considered the possibility that maybe Korath only believed Thanos to be the most powerful because he probably wasn't aware of the existence of these other powerhouses you mentioned? If you think about it then it's quite possible.

Korath technically was supposed to face power of Captain Marvel beforehand, as well as the power of the Nova Core and their fleet, the Kree and their supreme intelligence, and probably would at least have some knowledge on Asgardians who are protectors of the universe, obviously including Odin, who was supposedly superior to Hela. I also don't buy that he doesn't know about the Celestials. I mean "nowhere" a place that he actually visited in the first GotG is literally made out of Celestial's skull. Not to mention, other characters in the GotG clearly have knowledge on other celestials as well, and it seems to be common knowledge. Like the Collector who had a recording of a celestial destroying a planet, or Yondu, a kree just like Korath having the knowledge on Ego and his power. So yeah, it is clear to me that Korath was NOT talking about the Thanos we were given in the infinity war and endgame. My honest guess is, that the director of GotG assumed that Thanos is gonna be accurately portrayed, together with his forcefields, his energy projection, telepathy, his magical chair and all the other stuff he should come with. But like I said in my previous post, MCU at the time didn't even knew how infinity war is gonna look like, so it ended up being inconsistent.

Hela, Surtur and the Dark Elves came and went long before his time. Ego apparently kept to himself for the most part. Dormammu was from another dimension. Ancient One lived in a secluded place in a backwater planet and so on.

These guys were just examples. Thanos still has no hax, or hax resistance, he is just a giant brute with a sword. I really don't think that's a being that is likely to be described as the most powerful being in the universe by anyone who lived their life in the MCU, a place filled with telekinetics, magic users and all kinds of hax gifted characters.

Also, I don't think he got any buff in Endgame. Clearly, he was more prepared and motivated to fight and "kill" the Avengers this time around and that's what made him more dangerous.

Well, sorry, that's where you lose me. Like I said, Thanos who was overpowered by Stormbreaker Thor's single swing despite using full power of the gauntlet is not the same Thanos who was kicking Stormbreaker Thor into the ground, while slapping around Mjolnir Cap and bloodlusted Tony with a spare hand.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk why people are only posting part of the gif in the final fight. You know, when she's up in the air pushing downwards with all her upper body strength, Thanos is propped up on a single arm (the other is to take out the power gem), and she's still in the >same place she was the entire time<.

No Caption Provided

It's the chain of events that we see happen with our own two eyes. She props him down, makes him struggle a bit using her entire upper body strength + flying downwards momentum, he lets go of the ground with his left hand, and then he goes several seconds keeping her in the same spot with a single arm, proceeding to take her out.

If she had such a huge strength advantage, I'd argue that Thanos would do far worse with one arm than he was doing with two, no?

Mr-Otaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because patriarchy.

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nomar

@supremegeneration: She no sells his attack (his face is clearly shocked) and he's on the defensive the entire time (at this point). Then he has to use the power gem in an act of desperation. Like seriously this isn't hard to decipher and you're coming in with a clear bias. If the feats were reversed your opinion on who is stronger would remain the same.