Posted by ImMadNice (1296 posts) 2 months, 3 days ago

Poll: What is the biggest misstep of the MCU? (34 votes)

Killing Quicksilver before we cared about him 15%
The god of mischief trying to stab Thanos 6%
Mary Jane Watson isn’t MJ 6%
Movies and TV never crossed over 26%
Captain Marvel strongest avenger 38%
Killing off Ronan the Accuser and other villains 9%
#1 Posted by Chazzer (750 posts) - - Show Bio

Fake Mandarin

#2 Posted by Michaelbn (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

MJ or KM

#3 Posted by ImMadNice (1296 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36712 posts) - - Show Bio

Not coughing up the money for Hulk and Namor. Everything has a price and if they paid enough I’m sure Universal would sell them the rights back since they ain’t doing squat with the characters.

#5 Posted by DannyPhantom (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies and TV never crossing over is a slap in the face to their whole “connected universe” thing

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#6 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15908 posts) - - Show Bio

TV and Movies never crossing over.

#7 Posted by APEX_pretador (20341 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's review the poll options:

• Killing Quicksilver before we cared about him It was alright although could have been better with a bit more buildup and screentime for Quicksilver.
  • The god of mischief trying to stab Thanos Nothing is wrong here
  • Mary Jane Watson isn’t MJ I don't have any problem
  • Movies and TV never crossed over I'm glad for this. Honestly too many crossovers make everything messy. The recent introduction of Captain Marvel in the past already has the optential to mess up with alot of things.
  • Captain Marvel strongest avenger The film isn't out yet. If they can carry it properly, hopefully this won't be the big "misstep" but it seems more likely.
  • Killing off Ronan the Accuser and other villains Not an issue. There are plenty as of now. Ultron can be back, and so could abomination.
#8 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10342 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say killing off villains. Villains like Malekith and Yellowjacket were trash and had every reason to die but people like Killmonger and Hela could have had an awesome return.

#9 Edited by tethadam (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Comicbook movies should never kill off characters its the worst thing they could do.

Then they got to think of a non laughable way to bring the character back.

#10 Posted by Mrnoital (8039 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron man 3

#11 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10342 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: Don’t you mean Thor: The Dark World?

#12 Posted by mrmonster (15184 posts) - - Show Bio

The three biggest, from most to least, are...

1. Killing Quicksilver in his debut movie
  2. Turning the Madnarin, arguably Iron man's best villain, into a joke. PS, I don't care that some short film released alongside Thor 2 tried to fix this, because it didn't.
  3. The Incredible Hulk. That entire movie is pretty much one big mistake.
#13 Posted by cattlebattle (17682 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The Incredible Hulk. That entire movie is pretty much one big mistake.

Why do people not like this movie so much?? It's probably the most accurate depiction of classic Hulk there is. Norton was great at playing a distressed, strung out scientist that was afraid of becoming the Hulk, as it should be. And the Hulk actually looked sort of frightening and monstrous in the film, he just didn't look like a big, green Ruffalo CGI render.

#14 Posted by Kairan1979 (26908 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Ruining the opportunity to make Planet Hulk movie.

2. Fake Mandarin.

3. The relationship between Hulk and Widow.

#15 Posted by ImMadNice (1296 posts) - - Show Bio

@kairan1979: just rewatched the animated planet hulk and goddam did they blow it!

#16 Posted by Rockette (5909 posts) - - Show Bio

2. Turning the Madnarin, arguably Iron man's best villain, into a joke. PS, I don't care that some short film released alongside Thor 2 tried to fix this, because it didn't.

What?! Never heard of this. Do tell!

#17 Posted by mrmonster (15184 posts) - - Show Bio

@rockette said:
@mrmonster said:

What?! Never heard of this. Do tell!

In a last ditch effort to establish that The Mandarin actually exists and was not just a character Trevor Slattery and Aldrich Killian made up, Marvel Studios made a short film called All Hail the King and released it as a special feature on the DVD of Thor: The Dark World.

Loading Video...

#18 Posted by phisigmatau (1795 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:
  1. The Incredible Hulk. That entire movie is pretty much one big mistake.

Why do people not like this movie so much?? It's probably the most accurate depiction of classic Hulk there is. Norton was great at playing a distressed, strung out scientist that was afraid of becoming the Hulk, as it should be. And the Hulk actually looked sort of frightening and monstrous in the film, he just didn't look like a big, green Ruffalo CGI render.

Yeah its one of the better MCU movies if you ask me. Terribly underrated.
I gotta agree with IM3 Mandarin
or the plot behind civil war. zemo or whatever his name is was plans were so full of plot holes

Avatar image for supremegeneration
#19 Posted by SupremeGeneration (11724 posts) - - Show Bio

Can’t decide between Capt Marvel option and lack of TV/movie crossovers.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#20 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9416 posts) - - Show Bio

Not having Pym make Ultron

#21 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26969 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that CM has the most votes still proves humanity's infinite stupidity.

#22 Posted by ImMadNice (1296 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Laiks Stake (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

1- Captain Marvel

2- MJ

#24 Posted by Mrnoital (8039 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: Don’t you mean Thor: The Dark World?

no I mean Iron Man 3

the Mandarin was by far the biggest misstep

plus having Tony listen to Christmas Jazz instead of good music was just bad

#25 Posted by Subline (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

No it makes sense for it to have the most votes, no one cares about the character, and no one is interested in the movie.

#26 Posted by Subline (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Captain Marvel being so OP, either that or Quicksilver's death before we cared and also he died in a dumb way.

I feel like the Movies could cross over with the TV Shows if they have some of the Netflix Characters on the Disney Streaming Service.

#27 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26969 posts) - - Show Bio

@subline said:
@anthp2000 said:

No it makes sense for it to have the most votes, no one cares about the character, and no one is interested in the movie.

Then how come people are so salty about her being more powerful than their fan-favourites?

#28 Posted by Subline (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

@subline said:

Then how come people are so salty about her being more powerful than their fan-favourites?

You can't just highlight certain parts of the comment and ignore what comes straight after.....

#29 Posted by AtmExle (578 posts) - - Show Bio

Loki nerfed to the extend he is.

#30 Posted by njchrispatrick (313 posts) - - Show Bio

The villain-killing thing is definitely the highest point on that list, but I would personally like to add my own category:

Marvel being too impatient when it comes to growing the MCU.

The biggest problem I've seen in the MCU is that Marvel shoots itself in the foot by lacking patience. This may sound strange when thinking about the careful planning of their phases, but here are my big reasons for this:

1) Major storylines - Marvel has been very eager to introduce their biggest comic storylines as movies, and though it provides a flush of cash when they reveal movies like Civil War, it is a really foolish choice long-term to waste such megastories when their universe is still so limited. Among its many other issues, one really glaring problem with Civil War is that it lacked a sort of global implication, for the simple reason that the superhuman community is comprised of like 5 people. (Yes, I am only counting the movies.) This gave it way less punch and down the road--especially if Marvel gets to introduce the mutant race--they'll have blown their chance to make it much more interesting than it was. I get that they wanted to do it while they still held RDJ and Chris Evans, but the fact remains that it felt like a wasted opportunity.

2) The Inhumans - The problems with this property are long and have been enumerated already, but the biggest problem was Marvel's sudden and intense pushing of them on both the comic and televised front. They were so eager to have a replacement for the mutant race that they put all their eggs into the Inhuman basket, and it is coming back to bite them. Even disregarding the Fox/Disney deal, Marvel still has to explain the connection between the Inhumans TV show, Agents of SHIELD, and the mainstream MCU. They were too hesitant to go all the way in, but also too focused on getting a superhuman race that now they're caught in a limbo where they can either split the TV universe from the movies completely, retcon the Inhuman race out of existence, or go all in and become unable to use the mutants. And I don't think they can decide.

3) Corporate Politics - We all know that the MCU is governed by a lot more than just fan demand and Marvel writers. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is geared towards family audiences with a large focus on merchandising and money-making, no doubt influenced by Disney. This is why the movies get stuffed full of references and Easter Eggs; to shore up as many cameos as possible so that the franchise can grow in whichever direction gets the most attention. But how many unique plots have been lost to the growing of big-name characters? There are quite a few individuals who didn't need to be in the MCU already, and who might've been of use further down the line, but who are now out of play because of their token use.

This is just my opinion, however.

#31 Posted by DaSalvadore (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Quicksilver - I wouldn't have an issue with his death if it wasn't for Wanda's slow-mo agony reaction that was supposed to impact the audience.

MJ - Not having Mary-Jane as Peter's love interest? Perfectly fine. Not having Mary-Jane as a white redhead? Again, perfectly fine. Fudging the numbers to try having MJ but it not be Mary-Jane? Not fine. You don't sit on the fence when it comes to this couple!

No Crossover - It's not that I want people having to watch the TV side of Marvel to keep up with the MCU. Heck, the only Netflix season I watched all the way through was Daredevil S1! What annoys me is that the entire Coulson/SHIELD arc from AoS seems to be completely ignored by the Avengers yet everything from the films impact the shows.

As far as the discussion of the Hulk. I think it's a criminally underrated MCU film. I would not want Norton in the MCU "proper" but he played a solid Banner who was obsessed with finding a cure to the point of dulling his emotions.

#32 Posted by RavenVice01 (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

@chazzer: totally agree. Could have done the entire iron man series differently. Each ring of the mandarin could be an operative of the mandarin.