9.7.... Best MCU movie I've ever seen. I was a bit sceptical at first, but this is definitely one of my favorite movie of all time (in general).
Why isn't it a 10?:
- Minus 0.1 because I had to hold my pee for the whole second half of the movie
- Another minus 0.1 because the time travel stuff is a bit confusing, and I'm sure it's flawed in some ways
- Another minus 0.1 for plot armor
- I wanted to minus it more because they nerfed Hulk and Thor, but seeing how awesome and badass the female characters were. They balanced each other out.
8. Infinity War was better but it's understandable -- creating a compelling and promising set-up is much easier. Then again, some parts had me literally yawning in the cinema. The final battle was pure epicness and Scarlet Witch destroying Thanos is officially my favorite MCU moment though. I adored Wasp and Ant-Man moments. A great relationship that just goes on its own without too much drama and spotlight stealing. Still, the way they treated Star-Lord is outrageous. I liked the way they used Captain Marvel although her role as the heavy cannon feels soooooo out of place knowing what she is in comics.
This is pretty much solely due to them completely butchering Thor they ruined his character if they had given him an arc that made sense and wasn't garbage and making his whole character a joke then the film would've been near perfect for me. Would've preferred they toned down the extreme Cap wank too and not made Hulk a joke either.
To echo a lot of movie reviewers I've seen its definitely better seen as a companion piece rather than a self contained experience. With Infinity War the Avengers got absolutely blindsided and had to scramble and adapt/meet newer heroes to stop a threat they ultimately failed to beat. Obviously, Endgame was going to be less action centric as a lot of those heroes are now suffering from the emotional trauma and having to adapt after the loss of their loved ones. I think anyone going into this film expecting the same constant battles as Infinity War are going to be disappointed. The characters individually all shine and their own personalities and how they deal with their losses all made the closure of their arcs more satisfying. The only complaint I have was how Thor was treated and how I feel Hulk should've had a moment to shine, rather than just play a background science-jargon character (that's stuff for DC flash garbage). Overall, I think that the heist aspects of the film were well done, the journey the characters go through in both films make this movie all the more satisfying at its closure, and there truly was a lot of sacrifice towards the end. We also get a few glimpses into the future and a lot of the main core characters still may have a few films or roles to play going into Phase 4
The film also cemented Thanos as one of the best cinematic villains in recent memories. He's truly a cold and evil person for some of what he does in the film, and how utterly unshaken he is at some moments (without spoiling). The final battle scene really has to be seen multiple times before it sinks in for me, theres so much going on that individual characters aren't going to be easy to spot, lol. In any event its excellent closure for 11 years of Marvel films, and some heroes will stay long enough to meet the incoming FOX roster of characters which will make whatever future plans Disney has a promise to be even larger (Secret Wars anyone???)
@tonymartial: Same I was hoping he'd get some shine in this film given he wasn't given any in IW and thought maybe Banner could switch personality with the Hulk when there's a battle so Hulk could go rage mode and go in on Thanos but nope nothing not one fight scene.
10/10 for me.
It has almost everything you expect to see and more! Tony and Cap story arc went full circle, one of the most fulfilling finale for both of them. And the 3rd act of the movie is absolutely insane! My jaw dropped to the floor when the portals open and EVERYONE joins them! There's no word to describe what it did to us the audience, we are all shook, tear up and cheer together, it's like watching a football match.
There are really so many memorable moments, it's everything fans could hope for, but below are some of the standouts one
1. Professor Hulk! More specifically the Hulk dab! Never have I imagine I would see it on the big screen
2. Iron Man scene with Howard. My favorite by far, it really gave closure to Tony and his father's words made him even more determine to put down Thanos. I literally can't think of a better way to give his character a proper sent off.
3. Tony and Morgan scene. He went from a war monger to a hero then becomes a father, a god when he finally sacrifices himself to literally saved the Universe. With Morgan, she gives him perspective of life and the notion of family is that someone must sacrifice to be human. But on the other hand, he can't help to trying to fix everything, which is what Thanos said about him "being cursed by knowledge".
4. Cap vs Cap. Young cap beats old cap in straight h2h, but old cap is much wiser and cunning haha.
5. Hail Hydra! It's perfect for 2 reasons: Old cap being wiser and less violent decides to use more than punches and kicks. And the fact that Russos use it as a parody throwback to WS about how absurd a single line is able to determine someone is or isn't on your side.
6. Lebowski Thor! Chris Hemsworth always wanted to do this according to an interview, a burnout Thor and his dry humor and hopelessness really sold us what he has been through.
7. Thor scene with Frigga. It's heart wrenching to see Thor trying to hold back his tears and unable to save his mother...
8. The whole of 3rd act. From the Prof. Hulk snap to the portal opening and everyone comes out. It's the MOST EPIC scenes I have ever seen. No joke, beat Lord of the Ring, Star Wars. And it's so well executed too, but the Russos did it 100% right, I am floored after witnessing that.
9. Cap with M'jolnir! Nuff said.
10. Cap grows old and Falcon becomes Cap. America.
1. They gutted Hulk, AGAIN! He has no action at all, I think the Russos hate the hulk for some reason. And here I thought we could finally see a DCEU level fight between Thanos and Hulk, turns out none!
2. Thor abandoned his people and ran off with the GotG?! I was like wutttt... Didn't your father said you must protect your people or whomever is left after Ragnarok. It's just so out of character for him, and undone every character building of him in the last 3 movies
3. The whole Nebula cross timeline sync shenanigans. it's honestly beyond my suspense of disbelief
4. Thor's fight with Thanos is so lackluster, even Cap fare better than Thor did.
5. Dr.Strange is written away to hold off a flood, when he could've be more useful in fighting Thanos.
It's still a very very good movies, lives up the hype!
Please Log In to post.