anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

No Caption Provided

Kevin Feige has said in the past that he’s not angling for R-rated movies, and when asked about the success about Deadpool and Logan, he replied, “My takeaway from both of those films is not the R rating, it’s the risk they took, the chances they took, the creative boundaries that they pushed. That should be the takeaway for everyone.” And yet rumors inevitably surfaced that the upcoming Black Widowmovie would be rated R.

ComicBook.com has now confirmed that Black Widow will not be rated R with Feige saying, “It never was going to be. Somebody writes, ‘I hear it’s R-rated!’ And then everybody writes it up.” As it turns out, the rumor was never anything more than just that.” These rumors crop up not just because people avoid doing due diligence, but also because there’s a contingent among fandom that believes an R-rating is somehow more mature and therefore leads to a better movie.

However, as Feige correctly pointed out two years ago, the reason those R-rated movies were a success because the films pushed boundaries, not because they had the requisite amount of bloodshed and cursing that would warrant an R-rating. I’m sure the Black Widow rumor cropped up because she’s a spy she’s supposed to be grittier or something like that, but we’ve seen plenty of great PG-13 spy movies. Also, you don’t need an R-rating to sell Black Widow. She’s already popular and has name recognition. She doesn’t need to be radically reinvented for her own series. Marvel fans will likely show up for a Black Widow movie because they like seeing Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, not because the word “fuck” is uttered more than once.

The Black Widow movie doesn’t currently have a release date, and since it’s set to come out after Avengers: Endgame, Marvel has been keeping all production details under wraps. Johansson will star, and Cate Shortland (Berlin Syndrome) will direct a script from Jac Schaeffer. We’ll likely know more details later this year after everyone has seen Endgame.

Source:http://collider.com/black-widow-movie-rating-not-r/#images

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shit, and this studio's going to own Deadpool soon.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Mrnoital

Duh, it's disney and they said everything on their streaming service will be family friendly

I expect them to try this with deadpool, sort of like what they did for deadpool 2, just to see if they could sell a pg deadpool

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah disappointing but not surprising. I hope the writers really think outside the box because Red Sparrow was a thing. You don't want Scarjo's first solo debut to be a watered down comparison. Maybe they will give her powers...?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Mrnoital

@heatforce: both red sparrow, and atomic blonde

Marvel is a bit late on the lady hero thing

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Melinda May is in this.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 anthp2000  Moderator

Yeah disappointing but not surprising. I hope the writers really think outside the box because Red Sparrow was a thing. You don't want Scarjo's first solo debut to be a watered down comparison. Maybe they will give her powers...?

IIRC there are reports saying ScarJo has creative input on this and modified the latest script.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Penguin-Dust

This was always obvious to me. You can't expect any of the core Avengers to star in a movie that little kids can't see. There was no way that Disney was leaving all of that money on the table. Excluding the post-Disney Princess / pre-"boys-are-cool" & "I have makeup on" female demographic seemed preposterous . Also, I don't believe the movie needs to be R-rated to be good. The Mission Impossible movies have been very exciting at a PG-13 rating.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Duh

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Heatforce

@Penguin-Dust: depends also on how hard they go with the pg13. There were scenes in Iron Man and Iron Man 2 that will never be replicated under the disney banner. Scenes like the strippers/ getting drunk.

Loading Video...

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not surprised or disappointed in this at all. I see no reason why this movie would need an R rating.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Supermanthor

@mrmonster: tbh I also didn't expect it from first place

I mean Disney won't gonna do this to one of thier main characters

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

An R-Rated Black Widow movie would be great...for more reasons than one!

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank God!

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just care about money that's why MCU and Disney won't do an R-rated movie they know they'll make way more money keeping it PG-13, even if they sacrifice having a better more raw story for characters like Black Widow who should have R-rated movies.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

Thank God!

I sometimes forget how young and innocent you are.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 anthp2000  Moderator

@amcu said:

Thank God!

I sometimes forget how young and innocent you are.

Lol +1

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 socajunkie  Moderator

I’m not surprised and this is a good thing: have trust in the product we’ve loved since 2008- be honest, you loved TWS, IW and IM1 for the stellar script, direction and editing etc and it didn’t matter that they weren’t rated R so why would anyone get pressed about Widow following suit?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who thought it would be anyway?

ckaep12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think an R-rating would help everyone understand better how messed up Black Widow’s past is.