Do you think the Marvel Studio FIlms are too kid friendly?

• 159 results
Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

After watching Days Of Future Past I came to the conclusion you can have a really good comic film that actually deserves it's Pg 13 rating. I Feel the last few Marvel Studio movies have felt like overall Disney movies more then Marvel Movies. I like some of the- Well I didn't like either Thors or the last two Ironman movies nor did I think Guardians Of The Galaxy was above a 6 or 7 out of 10 film. Honestly my Favorite was Winter Soldier but that's missing the point.

Winter Soldier and the First Ironman were by far the best stand alone marvel films and maybe in general (Meaning counting the Avengers) and had obvious different tones. Do you think Marvel should move away a little from the Disney Formula and continue to do movies like the First Ironman or Winter Solider? Not as Dark as Days Of Future past...yet but should they? leave your Thoughts.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Night4345

I'd appreciate less jokes that half the time just ruin any tension the film built up.

BlueBeetle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Of course.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

Absolutely.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, no.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By EyeDCyou

I don't think they're too kid friendly, but they definitely are too joke-y at times.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

yup

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

No, they've build their empire on this particular formula, one that has made them the second-highest grossing franchise of all time (soon to be highest), one that is well-liked by critics and the casual audience alike, one that has influenced the decision making of other studious (WB), there is no reason for them to depart from this formula. Especially not for a small minority of the movie-going audience.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo:

Don't get me wrong. They are entertaining but IMO Days Of Future Past was just as good as Avengers if not better and didn't crack a joke every few seconds or rely comedy as much as Avengers did. Winter Soilder was a amazing movie and maybe the best stand alone film from Marvel and it felt like it would fit better with the X-men movie universe or even MOS

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First people complaint Nolan was too dark and tell you how Perfect Marvel was.

Now people complaint Marvel is too friendly.

The thing is complaint.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My biggest complaint is when they 'try' to man up. Like when Ronan was face to face with Thanos. And the servant of Thanos, that Loki was working for I guess, got his neck snapped a full 180 degrees. But, it doesn't look as bad as it would if it was perhaps shot from a different angle.. Or of Karen Gillian wasn't in the scene.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES!

Joiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but people make a big deal out of it.

Even mildly kid friendly makes the film crap or inferior these days.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo:

Don't get me wrong. They are entertaining but IMO Days Of Future Past was just as good as Avengers if not better and didn't crack a joke every few seconds or rely comedy as much as Avengers did. Winter Soilder was a amazing movie and maybe the best stand alone film from Marvel and it felt like it would fit better with the X-men movie universe or even MOS

Winter Soldier still felt a part of the MCU, people overstate the seriousness of Winter Soldier and the comedy of Avengers, they were more similar in tone than Winter Soldier was to DOFP and especially MOS. Besides, comedy is not a bad thing and it doesn't take away from the tension of the movie because where tension comes from in superhero movies is from the audience caring about the protagonists, not the overall tone of the film. If the audience doesn't care about the characters, they're not going to care about their battles.

Joiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel likes to have different flavors for each of their films. That's why audiences have embraced it so much. It's not just going to be a continuing loop of "dark" films (which is not a bad thing for WB, btw).

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo:

Not Really overstate. It was just clear the WS had a different tone that was fresh. It wasn't drowned by the jokes and the tension was never cut. I'm not saying a lighthearted film isn't a good thing. I prefer Days Of Future past over Avengers which most people would disagree with. One of the reasons I prefer it is because the tone was spot on and didn't feel forced every now and then. The Original Spider-man Trilogy felt more serious then a majority of the current Marvel/Disney Films. That's saying something.

I'm sure audiences cared about Professor X and his problem with keeping his legs without the constant one liner. One of the best scenes in comicbook movies in my opinion is when Magneto and Professor X are talking on the plan and Magneto was having a meltdown about how they failed the other mutants. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all or insult the Marvel movies but they took it the easiest way. the easiest way for them to earn money was to make the films constantly rely on humor and awesome one liners. Granted They were awesome. To each his own I guess.

@joiner said:

Marvel likes to have different flavors for each of their films. That's why audiences have embraced it so much. It's not just going to be a continuing loop of "dark" films (which is not a bad thing for WB, btw).

Really. Other then WS and the first Ironman they all had the exact same tone IMO.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Beata

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I dig it, like Iron Man 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy.

But in a movie like Thor? Captain America? It kinda dumbs it down a bit too much for my taste.

Jmarshmallow

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel movies do have jokes, but they aren't as bad as most people B**** about it.

Beata

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'd appreciate less jokes that half the time just ruin any tension the film built up.

That's my problem with them

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@tex_the_slayer: I'm not saying that you can't have people care about characters unless there are some jokes involved as much as it is you build tension through characterization. The tone doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. Both DOFP and GOTG (in the past Nolan trilogy and first two Raimi films) were able to get the majority of the audience behind their characters and they did it in their own ways, neither one particularly wrong. If you find more mature superhero films your style, that's perfectly fine. But Marvel is in a position of strength, not weakness and they really don't need to make any big shifts , if anything, the studio that needs to rethink how they approach their superhero cinematic universe is Sony.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo:

I like the style. Just Some characters it doesn't work with...and yeah Sony...

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they are too kid friendly. I think they found a much better balance than DC has in regards to capturing the essence of their characters. However, I do wonder how much Disney will stifle future character development. I once read that they refused to let Marvel portray Iron Man's alcoholism, not sure if its true but it is very Disney-like to not allow that.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Yes In regards to certain movies.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By M3th

No. THere are enougH EMO movies out tHere. THere is notHing wrong witH Kid Friendly flicks. SuperHeroes are meant for kids mostly. I mean seriously, tHere was a time wHen folks made fun of adults if tHey still watcHed cartoons.

MetH would never sHow kids tHe WatcHmen film.

MARVEL is owned by Disney and Disney is all about tHe kids. CHildren are tHe future. WHy not make movies for tHe future leaders instead tHan making films for tHe current followers?

DC can make all tHe EMO... er... "gritty" and "dark" films. THey can make tHeir films grey, blue, and black wHile MARVEL makes rainbow films. One will be yellow, one will be red, one will ve purple, one will be orange, one will be blue, and et cetera.

-ABstract4$$#073-

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of parents bring their kids to these movies. If anything they're not kid friendly enough at times.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd say they're safe for kids, but it's not like we're going to see dumbed down action movies. They've been a pretty good balancing act of making them appropriate for kids with a few adult things here and there. They portrayed Starks alcoholism and womanizing, hinting at Star-Lord's philandering, and had some pretty brutal action with Winter Soldier. I really don't see much difference between the T+ rated books and what they do in the movies.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DBVSE7

No..and it wouldn't be, and isn't that big a deal like most people think.

I can Say DC movies are Boring people with 0 sense of humor friendly.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I wouldn't say they were too kid-friendly, I think there's a good balance for both children and adults. I believe the biggest issue is simply too much humor.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Too kid friendly? Is that a bad thing? I'm going to have to say no. While I do prefer dark tones to the comedic ones Marvel has to offer, I don't think it's a bad thing. A few of Marvels movies have been really good, GotG, CA:WS, Avengers, IM, etc... But since DC does darker stuff, I tend to like their movies a lot more, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, MoS, Batman Begins.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of, yes. They're way too jokey. Comedy like that does not belong in a Thor movie. It was perfect in GoTG because that should be funny anyway, and it balanced out the Thanos parts, but when Thanos shows up for real on earth, I don't want any comedy at all. It can be hard to take things seriously at times. Tony stark overdoes it occasionally.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tex_The_Slayer

@dbvse7: I don't know. To this day I still laugh at "I'm not wearing Hockey Pads" more then most of the over the top Marvel humor ;)

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreamfall31: I agree with you completely. I actually think Marvel movies have done an excellent job of feeling like live action comics. Marvel comics are usually safe for all readers, and the movies should reflect that as well. For graphic action movies there are plenty of Die Hards and Rambos.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The blacklight joke in GOTG says otherwise.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes and no.

Joiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Joiner

It seems as if people are confusing comedy for kid-friendly.

Like, a lot.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Sort of it, Thor 1 wasn't as jokey to me as it seems to be to others. I do think that the serious Marvel films are usually the best (Avengers Cap 1 and GotG not counted). Captain America TWS, Ironman, Thor 1 and Hulk are the best because they're more serious than the other like Thor 2 and the other Ironmen.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cap10nate

I like that they are for all ages. It helps build a market for the next generation of fans. Marvel does a good job keeping it entertaining for children and adults.

My only qualm has been site gags during big fights. Let the comedy come out appropriately but let the fights be serious. The one that comes to mind for me is in Thor 2 when his face was smeared along the glass roof during the fight. It killed the tension that this is a fight for control of the realms. Take that out but leave the other site gags like Thor hanging up Mjolnir on the coat rack which adds to a scene and not detract from it.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First people complaint Nolan was too dark and tell you how Perfect Marvel was.

Now people complaint Marvel is too friendly.

The thing is complaint.

well yeah, because the people who are satisfied are usually the quieter ones

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

I don't think they're too kid friendly, but they definitely are too joke-y at times.

No, they've build their empire on this particular formula, one that has made them the second-highest grossing franchise of all time (soon to be highest), one that is well-liked by critics and the casual audience alike, one that has influenced the decision making of other studious (WB), there is no reason for them to depart from this formula. Especially not for a small minority of the movie-going audience.

@joiner said:

Sometimes I dig it, like Iron Man 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy.

But in a movie like Thor? Captain America? It kinda dumbs it down a bit too much for my taste.

Jmarshmallow

@youknowwhattodo:

I like the style. Just Some characters it doesn't work with...and yeah Sony...

I agree with what these guys said

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I don't think kid friendly is the right word more like too jokey at times and I don't know why some people seem to be annoyed by this question. DC fans always have to hear about how DC movies are too dark or too depressing so it's only natural that there are people who think Marvel's are too lighthearted. The same people who think Marvel's movies have a perfect tone are the same one's complaining about DC's. If DC can be called too dark Marvel could definitely be called too light, it goes both ways guys. I don't have a problem with humor in superhero movies but not when it's too much. It shouldn't be to the point where it's more of a comedy than a action movie. Iron Man and TWS have the perfect tone imo enough humor in them without it being too much and taking tension away.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes absolutely!

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By rev_sulphur

No and anyway they are for kids mostly. I wouldn't want a comic movie that kids our young teens couldn't watch. So far the only comic movie I would be a bit weary about kids watching would be The Punisher.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Anything that isn't Batman= kid freindly

according to the Internets

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

Being light-hearted and being kid friendly is different. I don't think Marvel Studios makes films that are too kid friendly. There's very little stuff in there that is purely directed at children and plenty that adults can enjoy and appreciate as well. Plus, Avengers almost had an R rating anyway.

When I think of something being too kid friendly I think of things that dumbs itself downl to appeal to younger audiences more. Batman & Robin would be a great example. The problem is that people think a movie being dark and mature (something often associated with a film for adults) would mean that the opposite is a movie that is for kids. That's not the case.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making Jokes ≠ Being kid friendly/Having light tones