#1 Edited by Krasny (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Re watched infinity war and it dawned at me why is he doing this if he has the gauntlet? Shouldn't the reality stone be enough where he could warp reality into a endless paradise with unlimited resources? In the comics he kills half the universe to impress mistress death since hes in love with her. With no Death character in the movie it seemed not to make sense.

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
#2 Posted by PreCrisisBardock (8736 posts) - - Show Bio

It was probably less about resources and more about Human nature. Like in Watchmen after the cities get destroyed Earth is theoretically better off. If half the universe is destroyed in front of everyone’s eyes yes there will be more resources but also likely less war/crime/evil as a result and so forth.

Avatar image for adm1ralsnackbar
#3 Posted by Adm1ralSnackbar (257 posts) - - Show Bio

Forgettable movie.

#4 Edited by phisigmatau (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

@precrisisbardock:

all in all both Thanos and Ozy methods were totallly evil and not justifiable. However, Ozy's plan was more logical and consistent with his motives. I get what you're saying but Ozy was trying to prevent an inevitable world war 3, theory has it that the big blue guy saw into the future and nuclear war would happen if Ozy didn't do what he did.

Thanos plan not making sense has been exhausted so I won't reiterate.. if the problem is human nature.. cutting down to 10%, 10% 50% isnt going to stop worldwide hunger.. we all overlook how influential greed and corruption play into oppression and poverty

#5 Posted by Magian (151250 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it wasn't really the most well thought plan.

#6 Posted by Godren (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

His goal was balance...

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#7 Posted by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

It was more about him buying into his ideology from his youth I think, which may have been birthed in him by people making fun of or denying - not giving actual better policies - and then they all die anyway...

Settles in the mind, etc.

He is a crazy person that way, deeply bought into the poorly thought out cause, but he still believes it as the absolute truth - like a real zealot today.

#8 Posted by MetalJimmor (6158 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing half the universe once won't actually stop anything. The universal population should bounce back from that in a single generation.

He would've been better off populating the Goldilocks zones of all the solar systems in the universe with more planets and water, allowing them to be colonized. It could take thousands, maybe even millions, of years for populations to reach a critical level again if he'd done that.

#9 Posted by SpongeGar (240 posts) - - Show Bio

Im pretty sure this has been done

#10 Posted by seastone98 (4642 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously no BUT with out CIS we wouldn't have a film so take the good with the bad i guess

#11 Posted by Kevd4wg (12514 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it was pretty obvious he was kinda an obsessed sociopath. Once they denied the plan on his planet(which without the IG was kinda the only thing he could do), he became obsessed with it, and having the will to get it done. That's what really came across in the movie to me

#12 Posted by kiba (3659 posts) - - Show Bio

Again with this? He's an insane bad guy. No he didn't have to do what he did.

#13 Posted by Sovngarde (536 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't have any sense, his goal was stupid and killing the half of the universe won't fix the problem because the people can have more babies and return to the ancient situation.

#14 Posted by Dogzee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is that no population is bouncing back from the snap in a single generation.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#15 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4422 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the movie needed a villain.

#16 Posted by Tomkatie (3268 posts) - - Show Bio

He’s the Mad Titan. His reasoning isn’t supposed to be sound

#17 Posted by Mister_Surreal (9188 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by ImMadNice (1228 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Edited by MetalJimmor (6158 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee said:

All I know is that no population is bouncing back from the snap in a single generation.

They absolutely are. At most three or four generations. Less than a human life time.

The only way Thanos can stop it is if he forces every couple to have no more than two children in their life time, and given populations tend to see a huge boom after a massive loss of life that doesn't seem very likely to me.

And this isn't even factoring in species that produce more than one child per pregnancy. If any alien species in the universe produces litters of 5-6 at a time their population will more than bounce back in that one generational time frame.

#20 Posted by Au_141 (978 posts) - - Show Bio

He never achieved his goal. What’s stopping the population from bouncing back

#21 Posted by TheGrat1 (471 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor:

Exactly. Making it so that species can only have 2 children would have been a much better idea. It could have fostered a universe-wide culture where life is seen as more precious. People are less likely to start wars or murder each other when they know those people can not be replaced.

The snap bought the universe 100 years, tops. I can not even call it a solution, just a madman doing something crazy.

#22 Posted by MrTrey (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Goal was stupid, and the movie and writers are stupid for implying Thanos has an even somewhat worthy goal by actually saying Gamora's planet became a better place to live after half of it was murdered.

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
#23 Edited by chicago_bastard (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@krasny said:

Re watched infinity war and it dawned at me why is he doing this if he has the gauntlet? Shouldn't the reality stone be enough where he could warp reality into a endless paradise with unlimited resources?

The Russos actually explain that in the audio commentary on the IW blu-ray. According to them the reality stone has only the power to change reality temporarily but not on a permanent level. That's also why Drax and Mantis didn't stay disintegrated for long after Thanos used the power of the reality stone on them. So it wouldn't work to warp the universe into a paradise because it wouldn't last long.

#24 Posted by Darkthunder (1159 posts) - - Show Bio

He could have made the world an endless paradise. But that is questionable. The IG isn't as powerful as comics one we saw that in the movie. And he will have to continuously use the full power of his gauntlet which left him scorched the last time(snap).

#25 Posted by Doofasa (1860 posts) - - Show Bio

His plan was flawed sure, but so is every other plan anyone has presented so far.

I mean he could potentially do the snap every so often and his plan would work. Meanwhile the create infinite resources argument doesn’t work as the infinity stones aren’t actually infinite in the MCU, they just represent an aspect of the universe.

#26 Posted by Lord_Doom159 (322 posts) - - Show Bio

Stupid Goal and a stupid villain make no sense at all

#27 Posted by Adm1ralSnackbar (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@adm1ralsnackbar: Forgettable movie.“

Bait^

Oh yeah hurr durr every1 ded till nex movie 11/10 Oskar material me cry at duh end of Infinity and Beyond.

#28 Posted by The_Magister (13499 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee said:

They absolutely are. At most three or four generations. Less than a human life time.

The only way Thanos can stop it is if he forces every couple to have no more than two children in their life time, and given populations tend to see a huge boom after a massive loss of life that doesn't seem very likely to me.

And this isn't even factoring in species that produce more than one child per pregnancy. If any alien species in the universe produces litters of 5-6 at a time their population will more than bounce back in that one generational time frame.

Also, it's a worse situation. Because the population, once it reaches previous levels, now has less resources to work with than it would have sans-snap at the same popuation. So Thanos' diagnosis of "limited resource" isn't really solved... exacerbated, really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6e6a1ed23a2
#29 Edited by deactivated-5c6e6a1ed23a2 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

He could simply have simply snapped whole and be done with everything.

Go back to farm, enjoy nature and stuff.

#30 Posted by Lord_Titan_ (2561 posts) - - Show Bio

@adm1ralsnackbar: lol no way man I know you dc fans wanna be haters but even dc fans acknowledge infinity war as one of the best superhero team ups in history, if any movie is forgettable it's justice league

#31 Posted by DrPepperMan (6288 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course not, no villain plan is necessary. That's why they're the villains. Of course not, no villain plan is necessary. That's why they're the villains.

#32 Posted by Adm1ralSnackbar (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@lord_titan_: Im a comic fan kid. I just think most if not all MCU movies are overrated piles of shit.

#33 Posted by Lord_Titan_ (2561 posts) - - Show Bio