Squirrel Girl? Really?

errantknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By errantknight

OK, just got to the second series of the New Avengers in my first read of these comics and....Squirrel Girl. Did this just become a parody? How and I supposed to take a comic with a squirrel girl in it seriously? I mean, the first series was fairly comedic, but in a way that didn't cross the line and had some witty dialogue, but...squirrel girl? Really? Is this an indication of genre shift?

General_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I don't know much about her, squirrel girl is a legitimate character. It is nowhere near as bad as some choices marvel made though. I rest my case with Howard the Duck. Just sayin'...

errantknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@general_t: I agree that nothing tops Howard the Duck in that department, but it was supposed to be farcical. Pretty sure the New Avengers isn't.

General_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By General_T

True. I'll agree with you there. It is real, though. I just think she was one of those things that was never meant to be taken seriously.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's beaten up Thanos and Doctor Doom, the latter in a story by Steve Ditko, so...yeah, there's a reason a lot of Marvel hacks are high on her. Personally I don't mind the book as it's funny, but I'd rather it be in it's own universe along with all the other irreverant stuff

General_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed

errantknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By errantknight

I actually like it a lot, except for the squirrel girl thing. There's a reason the writer cites Aaron Sorkin as one of his influences. The dialogue is great. It's a little lightweight in terms of emotion and sometimes he sacrifices established characterization for the sake of clever banter, but overall, it's pretty good. It does seem to me that Marvel is making some peculiar choices, though, lol. I'm having trouble putting Cap and the Winter Soldier in the same universe as Squirrel girl. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

The problem is that Bendis put a comedic character in a non-comedy series.

General_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are supposed to be their for comedic relief from the seriousness of people like Captain America and Winter Soldier.

errantknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By errantknight

I kind of think that series was already a little skewed toward comic relief and Squirrel Girl pushed it off the fine line it was treading into self-parody. I'll keep reading though, skipping over the bits with Squirrel girl, and see if that holds true for the rest of it--for me, of course. Other's mileage may vary. It probably seems worse to me because I just finished a power re-read of all the Brubaker Captain America/Winter Soldier comics, so my head is just not in this space.

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey don't knack the Squirrel.. she kicks butt.

No Caption Provided

Thanos didn't stand a chance...

No Caption Provided

And doom was most certainly defeated by her army of rodents.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@general_t: @errantknight: They reason why Squirrel-Girl was in that book is at a comic-con Brian Michael Bendis ask the crowd who they wanted to see in the New Avengers, and the crowd answered back Squirrel-Girl. So he wrote her in as Jessica and Luke's nanny.......