Surprising Info Revealed About Who Kylo Ren is in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
Photo credit: Empire
Photo credit: Empire

One question Star Wars fans have is "who is Kylo Ren?" Ever since the new character first appeared in the trailer, everyone wants to know more. In an interview with Empire, director JJ Abrams revealed more about the character, including who he is, which isn't a Sith.

"Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force.”

Where did this idea come from? Abrams went on to explain Ren and the First Order's role in the upcoming film.

“That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again? What could be born of that? Could The First Order exist as a group that actually admired The Empire? Could the work of The Empire be seen as unfulfilled? And could Vader be a martyr? Could there be a need to see through what didn’t get done?”

Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens up on December 18, 2015.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

The fact that the "Sith" aren't mentioned makes me happy :)

Also I like the explanation about the "First Order".

WAM-Hope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow, this really is interesting. Lucasfilm is doing a good job giving clues and stuff and still remaining quiet about their characters.

My only hope is thar Rey is the true protagonist of the film.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if he's not a Sith, will there be any? Rule of Two and all that. Maybe the Sith have gone into hiding and will be more important in later episodes

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Like the Sith but after Darth Krayt debuted its been hard to be interested in any of Dark Side using after One Sith.

CalvinRod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent. I'm happy with JJ Abrams and the way he has seen things.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I wonder if they're delving into the topic of grey jedi as embodied by Imperial Knights.

I'm still waiting on them to explain why the Rebel Alliance had to be recast as the generically named Resistance.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By vandinejd_1991

@golden_cod: Maybe they thought "Rebel Alliance" tied too closely to the Confederacy.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

So a Dark Jedi rather than a Sith then?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force.”

Kylo works under a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force...... I think he qualifies as a Sith then.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So a Dark Jedi rather than a Sith then?

Probably like the cult of Revan neither sith nor jedi.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Snoke. What kind of innocuous name is this for the new ultimate villain?

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as long as there is no midichlorians and jajar bings, i'm happy

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait so shouldn't he have an orange lightsaber ? since that represents no side and being in a cult

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I think the Knights of Ren to which Kylo Ren belongs to are more Dark Jedi than Grey Jedi personally. And even though I was uninspired by Abbrams' take on Star Trek, it's clear Star Wars is where his heart and passion has always led. That was apparent in the special effects and action tone of Star Trek. I like what I'm hearing thus far, hopefully this new trilogy can combine the modern day special effects and action with the story, character building and sense of fantasy and adventure of the original trilogy.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So the difference between a Sith and a Dark Jedi is a Sith isn't stupid enough to use a lightsaber where the hilt guard will cut off their hand?

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golden_cod: Maybe they thought "Rebel Alliance" tied too closely to the Confederacy.

Though plausible due to the first trilogy's time period (Galactic Civil War) I doubt that's the case. There'd be more political controversy if a lot people made that association. Plus the prequel trilogy's antagonists, the Confederacy of Independent Systems (CIS) lends more readily to the analogy.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This is very interesting, color me impressed. So, is Supreme Leader Snoke suspected to be a Force user?

Doctor_Edit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: yea because Jabba was soo more fearsome as a huge leader

Doctor_Edit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what is Ren, and what is Snoke? If not Sith. That makes me presume that Ren may not be as powerful as I hoped.

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

So either a) He's a Dark Jedi OR (more plausible to me considering plot threads from Rebles) he's an Inquisitor and thus profficient in the dark side but not living by the code of the sith (which kinda makes sense as there would have been some inquisitors left in the universe after vader and the emperors death, and so that order just kept on going while the sith "rule of 2" order died out).
I also read (from anther site) that Kylo Ren is a huge vader fanatic, following the whole Vader marter idea, beliving Vader to be a "heroic" figure before his time (ren being born after the events of RoJ) and even modeled his mask after vader (possibly the idea of a darkside warrior who hid his face), so it is an idea that i really like.
Going by the changing name of "the resistance" it could be that what we know of as the rebel allience did end up forming a new galactic republic and that the resistence is just an off-shot organization which formed to fight against the first order... or i could just be making stuff up :P

also when i first read this article i read Snokey as Snorkey adn just kept on thinking of a snork in an imperial uniform... :P

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herx said:

So either a) He's a Dark Jedi OR (more plausible to me considering plot threads from Rebles) he's an Inquisitor and thus profficient in the dark side but not living by the code of the sith (which kinda makes sense as there would have been some inquisitors left in the universe after vader and the emperors death, and so that order just kept on going while the sith "rule of 2" order died out).

I also read (from anther site) that Kylo Ren is a huge vader fanatic, following the whole Vader marter idea, beliving Vader to be a "heroic" figure before his time (ren being born after the events of RoJ) and even modeled his mask after vader (possibly the idea of a darkside warrior who hid his face), so it is an idea that i really like.

Going by the changing name of "the resistance" it could be that what we know of as the rebel allience did end up forming a new galactic republic and that the resistence is just an off-shot organization which formed to fight against the first order... or i could just be making stuff up :P

also when i first read this article i read Snokey as Snorkey adn just kept on thinking of a snork in an imperial uniform... :P

except in Star Wars a new hope it is said only vader and obi one were all that remained of that religion ;)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Kylo works under a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force...... I think he qualifies as a Sith then.

Not necessarily. The Sith are a specific cult of force users with their own culture, not every Darksider is a Sith.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

After learning this I am really interested to know what happened to the Jedi and Sith around the time of the movie.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wait so shouldn't he have an orange lightsaber ? since that represents no side and being in a cult

Nope, none of that stuff is canon anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Darth Revan?