New 'Justice League Action' Animated Series Announced for Cartoon Network

• 138 results
Avatar image for captainomnitron
#51 Edited by CaptainOmnitron (63 posts) - - Show Bio

For everyone saying that they can't do good story telling in just 11 minutes? Steven Universe is a prime example of how that CAN be done. If you don't care about spoilers? Watch that and you'll see what I mean.

#52 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Please be better than TTG

#53 Posted by cobsohn (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the action focus is a great call especially if it's stylized like the Genndy stuff of CN old. Honestly I think WB has all their bases covered when it comes to DC animation. The continuity movies for those who want a long story and lots of characters, Gods and Monsters for the Bruce Timm crowd and for those that want a little more violence, comic book adaptions for us hardcore fans, and this and Teen Titans Go! for kids and those of us who don't mind irreverent silliness. I love all of it and I hope it all continues.

#54 Posted by SpitfirePanda (2573 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Teen Titans Go! because it's not meant to be taken seriously. That's also why the 11 minute run time works so well for it. If this takes itself anymore seriously than Teen Titans Go! I won't watch it.

#55 Edited by Black_Arrow (10296 posts) - - Show Bio

What a waste of Kevin Conroy's voice (I hope he does the Killing joker movie).

#56 Edited by theMightyMODOK (439 posts) - - Show Bio

New Justice League show? Mark Hamil as Joker? Kevin Conroy as Batman? Booster Gold? Teen Titans Go?

AWESOME.

#57 Edited by ChillinNKillin (201 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainomnitron said:

For everyone saying that they can't do good story telling in just 11 minutes? Steven Universe is a prime example of how that CAN be done. If you don't care about spoilers? Watch that and you'll see what I mean.

Loading Video...

SU is great, but it doesn't do what's expected from past DC, which is tell narrative driven stories.

You can go several episodes in SU without anything significant happening, story-wise, other than hints toward the future, or callbacks. It's directive is different from that of, say, Green Lantern. Just look at what's happened with Jasper? Oh yeah, NOTHING. When are we going to an update on that? It's been SO LONG. It's not narrative driven and the 11min episode format is over-saturating the industry. There's a reason the very best episodes are 1) the major event ones, because those really push the story, and there's usually the 20-30min eps, and 2) the episodes that remember that the Gem Homeworld, and War, happened. Still, despite that, is TT-GO written as intelligently as SU? No, and this is clearly going in that direction.

Even if it going for a non-narrative driven style, then at least go the Gravity Falls route; another great show, that takes it's time to do what it wants. This 11min crap needs to stop. It feeds into the instant gratification that infecting children. People say "this will get them into reading comics!" Not it won't. These cartoons tell quick, short stories, while comics tell stories that last months, and upwards to 6-12 issues of story.

You think anyone watching TT-GO is going to go look up the Judas Contract? Very doubtful.

#58 Posted by Jogga (1040 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this series is more Steven Universe than Teen Titans Go! in the writing and animation department.

The art is very much bad-looking. So I'll just come in with low standards; hopefully this show will surprise me.

#59 Posted by Jogga (1040 posts) - - Show Bio

SU is great, but it doesn't do what's expected from past DC, which is tell narrative driven stories.

You can go several episodes in SU without anything significant happening, story-wise, other than hints toward the future, or callbacks. It's directive is different from that of, say, Green Lantern. Just look at what's happened with Jasper? Oh yeah, NOTHING. When are we going to an update on that? It's been SO LONG. It's not narrative driven and the 11min episode format is over-saturating the industry. There's a reason the very best episodes are 1) the major event ones, because those really push the story, and there's usually the 20-30min eps, and 2) the episodes that remember that the Gem Homeworld, and War, happened.

Even if it going for a non-narrative driven style, then at least go the Gravity Falls route; another great show, that takes it's time to do what it wants. This 11min crap needs to stop. It feeds into the instant gratification that infecting children. People say "this will get them into reading comics!" Not it won't. These cartoons tell quick, short stories, while comics tell stories that last months, and upwards to 6-12 issues of story.

You think anyone watching TT-GO is going to go look up the Judas Contract? Very doubtful.

^This.

#60 Posted by DD208 (573 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
#61 Edited by redbird3rdboywonder (7157 posts) - - Show Bio

Pass. I need YJ. Cartoon Network does nothing for me these days

#62 Edited by liwanag (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Not seeing Green Lantern in the posters so far...

#63 Posted by Kokemabb200 (3400 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for megaginsengking
#64 Posted by MegaGinsengKing (65 posts) - - Show Bio

So it looks the Cartoon network is stealing from Disney XD. These shows will be similar to Avengers Asemble and Ultimate Spiderman. Netflix does not have a lot of DC animation, but they have Young Justice, Justice League Unlimited, Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spiderman, and most of the other kids shows that air on XD. But I will probaby check it out someday cuz of the voice cast....

#65 Posted by RevivalMH (225 posts) - - Show Bio

I will side with the "cautiously optimistic" camp. This really is an all start creative team but it seems like the art and 11 minute format will make it overly cheesy.

Avatar image for biasednewsposts
#66 Posted by Biasednewsposts (16 posts) - - Show Bio

It's gonna be for kids, right? That's why they had to mention TTG. I was hoping this would be closer to Young Justice, but, of course, CN are still on this kiddie kick.

#67 Posted by Jonez_ (11500 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the eleven minute format.

@lurkero said:

I am not upset with the artwork like other people are. Spectacular Spiderman proved that interesting characters can still be developed with simple art.

The 15 minute run time for each episode makes me suspicious though. That doesn't leave much time to develop compelling plots.

Not like this, DC. Not like this.

Storyboard driven shows actually can have quite a bit of good content squeezed into that 11/12 minutes. Look at Adventure Time or Steven Universe.

#68 Posted by SaintWildcard (22049 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120 said:
@saintwildcard said:

@lurkero said:

I am not upset with the artwork like other people are. Spectacular Spiderman proved that interesting characters can still be developed with simple art.

The 15 minute run time for each episode makes me suspicious though. That doesn't leave much time to develop compelling plots.

Storyboard driven shows actually can have quite a bit of good content squeezed into that 11/12 minutes. Look at Adventure Time or Steven Universe.

I hate both those shows. *Nova Emoji*

#69 Posted by ChillinNKillin (201 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120 said:
@saintwildcard said:

@lurkero said:

Neither AT, or SU, are narrative driven shows. Also, even if DC is trying to emulate those shows, this isn't the cast, that meshes with this art style, to do such kind of written, nor is the TT-GO team good enough writers.

#70 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy said:

So many salty crybabies in this thread. Love it.

I'm all for another kid-appropriate comicbook show for me to watch with my kids.

@darkdetective27 said:

Though I dont get what some people are complaining about it being targeted towards kids. If kids like them, then kids will probably want to get into comics at some point.

Well to me, it's not so much that they're geared towards kids, it's what that seems to mean nowadays. It's like they diminish the art quality, add a bunch of silly humor, and overall just water down the product, all for the sake of "targeting kids". BTAS, Batman Beyond, JL/U, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Teen Titans all came out when I was a kid, and I don't think anyone would argue that they weren't great shows (not to mention successful). In fact, those shows are what got me into comics. I'm not saying they have to be as serious as YJ, but kids are capable of recognizing and appreciating a great show too. Hopefully this show will be better than it looks. I'm not a fan of the animation, but more often than not, DC puts out good products so I'll be optimistic.

With people practically looking for an excuse to get offended, you couldn't even get away with shows like the ones you just mentioned though. It's aimed at kids, but has to get approval from an overly sensitive generation first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#71 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

Teen Titians Go is so underrated.

#72 Posted by black_wreath (13557 posts) - - Show Bio

Boooo! This sucks, kid's shows should pander to me! Not kids!

I want a mature take superheroes! Without this all we'll have left is direct-to-dvd animated movies, live action tv shows, live action movies and the comics themselves.

A dark day for the Justice League indeed...

#73 Edited by KritikalMassX (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh great. Now there's a good chance that the Justice League might be suffering from Spongebob-itis, like Teen Titans...And I like Spongebob.

Well...as long as Kevin Conroy is voicing Batman, I suppose that's fine. Hopefully Tim Daly will voice Supes again...I'm not too heavy on George Newbern.

#74 Posted by johnny_blaze (1357 posts) - - Show Bio

Two things I learned from reading the comments:

1. Simple animation means bad show

2. People have the ability to see the future, because they know how this will play out

#75 Posted by The_B_List (134 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like it'll be replicating TTGo.

And TTGo is a comedy.

#76 Edited by Gracetrack (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Conroy back as Batman, and James Woods as Lex Luthor? Sign me up.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#77 Edited by The Impersonator (8500 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh...I'll pass.

#78 Posted by tx12100 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Somewhere in the background, I See Constantine. Look Carefully at the photo

#79 Edited by ThorOdinson24 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Rather have Roger Craig Smith as Bats, Kevin will always be Bats but he makes him sound really old now or least he did in arkham Knight.

#80 Posted by Zearing (1534 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw an article on this earlier, but they didn't have a picture. The art style isn't what I expected, but I'll give it three episodes at least. It has Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill in it after all.

#81 Posted by micah007123 (10836 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy said:

So many salty crybabies in this thread. Love it.

I'm all for another kid-appropriate comicbook show for me to watch with my kids.

@darkdetective27 said:

Though I dont get what some people are complaining about it being targeted towards kids. If kids like them, then kids will probably want to get into comics at some point.

Well to me, it's not so much that they're geared towards kids, it's what that seems to mean nowadays. It's like they diminish the art quality, add a bunch of silly humor, and overall just water down the product, all for the sake of "targeting kids". BTAS, Batman Beyond, JL/U, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Teen Titans all came out when I was a kid, and I don't think anyone would argue that they weren't great shows (not to mention successful). In fact, those shows are what got me into comics. I'm not saying they have to be as serious as YJ, but kids are capable of recognizing and appreciating a great show too. Hopefully this show will be better than it looks. I'm not a fan of the animation, but more often than not, DC puts out good products so I'll be optimistic.

+1

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#82 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

I just noticed in the background you can see several of the heroes and villains that will appear theres John Constantine, Plastic Man, Blue Beetle, Green Arrow, Zatana, possible Black Canary, Captain Marvel though he'll likely be called Shazam, Flash, Hawkman, Vixen, Darkseid, Faust, Killer Frost, and I believe Cheetah. I cant make out the others.

#83 Edited by entropy_aegis (20960 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

If it's meant for kids I won't hold it against them. Nothing bugs me more then a bunch of salty adults hating on a show clearly aimed for children aged 5+

This.

#84 Posted by LarryAshlynn (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm quite excited, personally. I could show my lil bro this. Besides, we've got comics, movies, animated movies and have no idea what this show would be like, since nobody has future sight.

Just wait and see.

Avatar image for divine_disorder
#85 Posted by Divine_Disorder (200 posts) - - Show Bio

2. People have the ability to see the future, because they know how this will play out

Lol. Number 2 applies to pretty much every comic book adaptation ever, in every medium ever. Lots of psychics on the Internet.

#86 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

Animation style is different but I kinda like it. Also Burnett, Conroy, Hamill and the producers of GLTAS, JLTAS and Batman Beyond are involved in this show and that's enough for me to get excited.

#87 Posted by Invain (5150 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't look to good visually.

#88 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio
@cobsohn said:

I think the action focus is a great call especially if it's stylized like the Genndy stuff of CN old. Honestly I think WB has all their bases covered when it comes to DC animation. The continuity movies for those who want a long story and lots of characters, Gods and Monsters for the Bruce Timm crowd and for those that want a little more violence, comic book adaptions for us hardcore fans, and this and Teen Titans Go! for kids and those of us who don't mind irreverent silliness. I love all of it and I hope it all continues.

Agreed.

#89 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36981 posts) - - Show Bio

Time to sell some toys

#90 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

And this also

#91 Posted by entropy_aegis (20960 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not meant for us (18+),it's meant for the kiddies. C'mon let the new generation know these characters their own way,I'm not aware of the cartoon business but if this is how it works then let them do it. It at least keeps the characters relevant and exposed to the new generation and that's all that matters. We still have our comics,games,movies and animated movies so getting pissed at this is more childish than this cartoon.

#92 Edited by PenguinDust (9721 posts) - - Show Bio

@chillinvillain said:

People say that it's sad that young adults/adults are complaining about a kids show being a kids show.

That's not the point. It's what kids shows are nowadays, for the most part. Most aren't charming, or challenging, for kids. They just try to be colorful, have action, be funny (in a poor way), and sell toys...

That's really nothing new. I grew up in the 80's and most of the cartoons we watched were 22 minute commercials with a 30 second message tacked on to the end. He-Man, G.I. Joe, Transformers, She-Ra, Challenge of the Go-Bots, Captain N, Centurions, C.O.P.S., M.A.S.K., Laser Tag Academy, Dino-Riders, Rubic the Amazing Cube, Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, and Visionaries: Knights of Magical Light. Plus there were a number of sad cartoons base directly off of the hot new craze, video games. Most of what was being created domestically that decade was crap. The best shows that I enjoyed during my youth were Danger Mouse from the UK and Robotech, a localized version of the superior Super Dimensional Fortress Macross series from Japan. In all fairness, there were a few notables. I particularly liked Galaxy High, Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures and in '87, Ducktales premiered.

In the 90's there was a resurgence of quality cartoons for kids that could be enjoyed by adults led by Batman the Animated Series but also including the NickToons and Disney Afternoon stuff. Anime became more popular thanks to Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. I believe there were some changes made to federal broadcasting regulations for networks which no longer allowed them to claim that the 30-minute toy commercials fulfilled their educational TV requirement. That forced producers to become more creative to draw in viewers.

As for this new Justice League show, I'll probably tune in occasionally. It's not going to be Justice League Unlimited or Young Justice, true but I can enjoy it for what it is. The direct market DC animation is really what is geared towards my wants, and they release a few of those every year, so I have few complaints.

#93 Posted by HolySerpent (13762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all about toys

#94 Edited by MICKEY-MOUSE (36981 posts) - - Show Bio
#95 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

Conroy and Hamil? DC knows how to appeal to me.

#96 Posted by BlackLegRaph (5534 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like they've got good talent involved. Just disappointed that it doesn't seem like they'll be going with any challenging plots. Even Batman: The Brave and the Bold had some great ones despite the artstyle.

#97 Edited by kalorama (252 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this approach.

As much as I enjoyed Young Justice, I think that the show got way too wrapped up in itself, overdoing the whole serial storytelling, mythology-building approach, often to the detriment of basic storytelling. Not every minute element of story and character needs to be inexorably stitched into some grand, over-arching story structure. There's nothing wrong with telling a story for the sake of telling a story, beginning, middle, and end in a neat package. It's been working just fine for millennia.

#98 Posted by kalorama (252 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not the point. It's what kids shows are nowadays, for the most part. Most aren't charming, or challenging, for kids. They just try to be colorful, have action, be funny (in a poor way), and sell toys. Look at the recent Green Lantern tv show. It was clearly directed towards children, but could be watch by all ages. Same with Spectacular Spider-Man, JLU, BTAS, STAS, etc.

What about the teenagers between the ages of 12-17? If they can't give them narrative driven, 20-30min stories, why not put them digital networks, like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime? Or put it on Adult Swim/Toonami?

It's just sad that, in a year where we're getting Samurai Jack back, we're getting this kind of JL show.

What's wrong with "colorful" or "action" or "funny"? Or toys, for that matter? Those are the kinds of things that kids enjoy. So what's wrong with giving it to them? Your argument isn't really with the existence or quality of kids' shows, it's with the existence of kids' shows that don't also cater to older viewers. But the thing is, not all kids' shows need to cater to older viewers, just like all shows aimed at older viewers don't need to cater to kids. Sometimes kids' shows are just for kids. There's nothing wrong with that.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#99 Posted by amazing_webhead (9980 posts) - - Show Bio

the art looks meh

#100 Posted by donmeca2020 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

That art looks like crap... there is only one version of the tv animated batman and superman i like, and that is if course bruce timm and paul dini's versions.

However kevin conroy IS batman's voice to me and will always be same goes for Mark hammill and the animated joker.