James Tynion IV & Rian Sygh Reveal 5 Things You Need to Know About THE BACKSTAGERS

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

James Tynion IV has written several series at BOOM! Studios including The Woods, UFOlogy, and Memetic. While The Woods is still ongoing, and he's also working on Detective Comics at DC, he has another series coming up through BOOM! With Rian Sygh on art, we'll see the first issue of The Backstagers on sale this week.

What is The Backstagers all about? James and Rian tell us Five Things You Need to Know about The Backstagers.

No Caption Provided

The Power of Friendship

James: It was about a year and a half ago that I started talking to Shannon Watters, who runs the BOOM! Box line at BOOM! Studios, about developing my first all-ages series, one that had been in the back of my mind for a long, long time. When I was a freshman in high school, I had this idea in my head what being a young guy was supposed to be. I was supposed to look a certain way, act a certain way, like certain things... And I just didn’t hit any of the checkmarks. I had just started out at an All-Boys High School, and I thought I would never fit in anywhere. It wasn’t until I was dragged along to a stage crew meeting after school that I saw a whole different world I could be a part of. The Stage Crew kids were ALL weirdos, and they LIKED the fact that I didn’t really fit in anywhere else. They introduced me to a whole different level of male friendship, a bunch of sensitive geeky kids who didn’t like the spotlight. I never would have survived high school without them, and that was the real inception for this series.

I wanted to write a book about the friendship between a bunch of weird outcast boys hanging out in the strange, impossible world that only exists behind the curtains of a high school theater. More than that, I wanted to write a book for the boys who FEEL that disconnected, who haven’t found that community, to show them that it’s out there.

Rian: James brought me on fairly early and as soon as I heard the rough pitch I was hooked. The Backstagers is exactly the kind of story I want to tell: A bunch of weird queer boys being friends against all-odds and navigating a magical labyrinth to help bring a little more magic into the lives of the audience. The forefront of the book is this group of boys’ friendships, as unlikely as they would be in any other context. The relationships between these friends feels so fresh to me, it’s a joy to help bring them and this book to life.

The Theater is Magic

James: I think comic fans are all fans of escapism, and there’s really no purer kind of escapism than the theater. Disappearing into a story, whether you’re acting, or you’re in the audience, there’s a real kind of power to it. And when you’re on Stage Crew, you have this tremendous responsibility. You need to build a world that people can get lost in. Throw a few chairs and tables on a stage, and light it in just a way that makes people see it as an office, or a castle, or a bar, or the streets of Paris in the midst of revolution. And nobody sees what you’re doing. You’re all in black, you move on stage unseen, you build and manipulate all these moving parts and It’s magic. It really is, being a part of that. In The Backstagers, we wanted to make that magic a bit more literal. We wanted to create a world behind the stage where the hallways never lead to the same room twice, where there are frightening, and adorable creatures behind every turn. I wanted to capture the real sense of adventure that happened day-to-day in this world that the actors never really understood. We were basically left to our own devices in the service hallways and workshops with props from 50 years ago, and told to build a world. We’d spend hours on building a thing, and they would just take the journey for granted. But we didn’t care. The adventure was in making it together. That was the feel I wanted to bring to the book.

Rian: The theatre has this unique charm that really doesn’t come across in any other media. It has the ability to suspend one’s disbelief in a way that no movie can. A huge reason why is that the stage comes to life in a way that cannot be replicated. You’re seeing rooms form together, sets being whisked into existence and dismantled again with extreme precision. You literally get to watch the forming and reforming of a performance in real-time by the hands of real people. There is no barrier between the stage and the audience, so it becomes this extremely intimate thing. It’s the closest thing to real magic I can think of and The Backstagers takes that and runs with it; to the end of an ever-changing labyrinth filled with horrors and wonders beyond imagination.

The Best Comics are All-Ages Comics

No Caption Provided

James: I think we’re living in a new golden age of comic books, and a lot of that comes down to the all-ages books lining the shelves at the comic shop every week. I remember when I was a young kid, all I really had was Superhero books. If I was lucky, there would be a chapter of Bone in the latest issue of Disney Adventures, or I could twist my dad’s arm into getting me a Calvin & Hobbes or Far Side collection... But there weren’t the books that spoke to me or my experiences. And now you can see that there’s really a comic book for ANY kid that walks into the shop. And when they feel that kind of connection, they’ll be comic book fans for life. That’s the most exciting thing about all of this. If we can make even ONE kid a life-long fan of comics by making a book that they see themselves in, we’ll have done this right.

Rian: I love all-ages comics. More than half of my monthly pull is all-ages titles. There’s this misconception that “all-ages” means specifically “for kids” and that’s just not true. All-ages means just that, they’re for everyone. And now, more than ever, are comics accessible to that everyone. I believe we’re in a true comics renaissance—it’s not just cape books and undergrounds anymore. We’re finally seeing books out there specifically for those who need them—and that’s what The Backstagers is for. It’s a book that at its core is a supportive and engaging reflection for the kids most similar to its cast. Someone somewhere is going to find this book, see themselves in it, and just maybe they won’t think they’re alone, wrong, or broken.

We Poured Ourselves into the Book

James: From the very start, this was going to be a pretty queer book. I think the first group email between Rian, myself, and the Editors was titled, “LET’S MAKE A SUPER GAY STAGE CREW BOOK.” Because the series came from my life, and the whole reason I felt so alone as a high-school freshman was the fact that I was a queer kid in an all-boys high school; I knew I wanted to explore those dynamics. Mostly, I want to show young kids that there’s no normal way to be. There isn’t a normal way to be straight, and there definitely isn’t a normal way to be gay, or a normal way to express yourself when you’re transgender. You need to be yourself, even if it doesn’t put you in one of the standard high-school archetypes. In fact, it’s by letting yourself be a weirdo that you’ll find the best friends you’ve ever had in your life.

And beyond the queerness, Rian and I just poured a lot of our love of Shojo Manga into this series, in a way that I’ve never seen in a book about a bunch of dude friends. There are a lot of flowers and sparkles and hugging. In the second issue there is also a big scary spider-monster and a Modern Warfare-style videogame. It can show all of those things at once, because it’s a diverse group of kids just hanging out and going on adventures in this magical backstage world.

Rian: This book is hands down the most “me” thing I have ever worked on. James and I both brought a lot to this series that wouldn’t have been the same without one of us. We had dynamically different experiences, but a lot of our goals were the same. We wanted to make a book that focused on a group of queer boys, we wanted to show vastly different interpretations of masculinity and strength, and we wanted to tie it together with a sense of support and acceptance that I personally feel a lot of queer media tends to forego. Both James and I had our own personal struggles with our identities, and most queer kids will, too. The Backstagers is and will always be a place of overwhelming acceptance re: Queerness and its interpersonal conflicts have to do with emotions and magical mishaps rather than adversity toward anyone’s identity. We wanted to make a book that confirms and normalizes youthful queerness while emphasizing conflicts that necessitate emotional growth.

And It's so Dang Pretty to Look At

No Caption Provided

James: When I started developing the series, there was only ever one person I considered for the job. I had met Rian at a convention a few years back and we hit it off pretty much immediately, but it wasn’t until a few months later that I really came across his art and I was floored. This series had been in the back of my mind for a while, and when I saw Rian’s work, I knew in a second that I had found the EXACT partner on the series I needed. I was still working with Shannon then, developing the book, and I told her pretty directly that I was “Rian or bust” for this series. I still remember sitting him down and talking through the concept and I knew immediately I’d made the right choice (he may or may not have rolled on the ground a little bit in excitement). Within a few days he had the rough designs of the cast, which he brought to life so freaking perfectly; I was floored. But it was nothing compared to seeing the first pages come in. This is the perfect book for Rian, and I’m just glad I get to work with him before he becomes a comic book superstar and leaves me in a trail of dust behind him!

Rian: Oh jeez. Shush up, James!! now I have to write a thing while being EMBARRASSED!

This book is a complete meld of James and I. We’ve worked extremely cooperatively during every stage and a lot of decisions get run past one another before anything is finalized. I think working together has spoiled me a little! Having your collaborator and yourself being so completely on the same page is really special and it makes the book so much stronger than having everything compartmentalized. The team is really communicative and I feel like the finished pages really show that. The book really came into itself after we picked up Walter Baiamonte on colors. While James and I knew roughly the direction we wanted to go, Walter’s work really blew us both away. His palettes are dynamic and engaging and they put just the right amount of magic into the pages. His color work has heavily influenced the way I approach later issues of the series and you can really tell that us all working together keeps raising the bar higher and higher.

And speaking of high bars, the covers of The Backstagers are flat-out gorgeous. Our cover artist, Veronica Fish, is a beast AND a dynamo. I may or may not have more than one of her covers saved to my desktop so I can stare lovingly into them as I’m working. I’m extremely grateful and humbled by the massive amount of talent I get to collaborate with every day, and this book is the end product of an exceptionally brilliant team.

Check out the preview pages for the first issue:

The Backstagers #1 is on sale this Wednesday, August 17.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

This seems like a really fun book but I'm full with Rebirth titles and I can't start pulling other stuff. Might try out the trade.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I don't get how this can be an all ages book and also be "queer"

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By lagozzino

@captainmarvel4ever : cuz featuring gay characters doesn't automatically make it unsuitable for children? I mean, Steven Universe seems to be hitting that demographic pretty well.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

@captainmarvel4ever : cuz featuring gay characters doesn't automatically make it unsuitable for children? I mean, Steven Universe seems to be hitting that demographic pretty well.

yup pretty much

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagozzino: IDK, I'd say homosexuality is a pretty adult subject matter.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Hmm this sounds pretty good. I hope my store has it to check out.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@captainmarvel4ever: I dont think so, People dont treat being straight as something as adult subject, why would different with homosexuality? But i can see a lot of angry parents having the same thought as you. Also the cast of characters seems to be teenagers, they should be around the age of start to thinking about dating or already dating. Sadly i didnt yet read Lumberjanes but i think there is lgbt characters on it and it´s all-ages comic. Plus Steven Universe has dealt with "LGBT" issues before (even though gems dont have gender).

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: Well I gots a lots more. I'm the senpai remember? >:P

@vitalius:

But i can see a lot of angry parents having the same thought as you

Oh I'm not angered by this (aside from comedic purposes I don't believe in anger).

I'm just saying that I feel sexuality is a more grown up topic that may be kinda grey for all ages reading (or watching). I get the appeal of adding that sort of thing into kid's books since it has no malicious roots, and while mild, could strengthen tolerance of future generations. Plus with the growth of the internet protecting the innocence of younger children could ultimately be a thing of the past (only time will tell). However as I said, adding characters defined by sexual desire does still feel kinda off. I also do believe that all ages should mean it should be a form of entertainment that anyone can enjoy, and there are some people (even those who are very accepting of others) that may feel uncomfortable or put off by characters of non-traditional orientation. Heck even for a guy like me who's super accepting, it can make me feel uncomfortable (though to be fair, that's one low thing on a mile long list of things that make me feel uncomfortable, which is why I don't really watch/read TV, movies, non comic based fiction, or indie comics).

Though this is only a comic book, and it's not something I feel any investment in contesting, so I don't wanna misconstrue my current stance as being deeply disgruntled or opposed to this in any way, or that any feelings I've stated are static and unchanging. Heck to be honest, I wasn't even planning on buying this anyways (don't really enjoy non Marvel/DC comics) I just really like James Tynion and wanted to read the interview.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

meh, actually this guy's right. and saying "being straight isn't considered adult" is wrong, it is. putting sex scenes or literature based around sexual feelings / topics / preferences is definitely considered adult either way. in any case, an "all-ages queer" book isn't much of a surprise, but yeah it's not going to go over well with a good amount of parents. but i also have a strong feelings the creators know that and don't care.

@darkdetective27: Well I gots a lots more. I'm the senpai remember? >:P

@vitalius:

But i can see a lot of angry parents having the same thought as you

Oh I'm not angered by this (aside from comedic purposes I don't believe in anger).

I'm just saying that I feel sexuality is a more grown up topic that may be kinda grey for all ages reading (or watching). I get the appeal of adding that sort of thing into kid's books since it has no malicious roots, and while mild, could strengthen tolerance of future generations. Plus with the growth of the internet protecting the innocence of younger children could ultimately be a thing of the past (only time will tell). However as I said, adding characters defined by sexual desire does still feel kinda off. I also do believe that all ages should mean it should be a form of entertainment that anyone can enjoy, and there are some people (even those who are very accepting of others) that may feel uncomfortable or put off by characters of non-traditional orientation. Heck even for a guy like me who's super accepting, it can make me feel uncomfortable (though to be fair, that's one low thing on a mile long list of things that make me feel uncomfortable, which is why I don't really watch/read TV, movies, non comic based fiction, or indie comics).

Though this is only a comic book, and it's not something I feel any investment in contesting, so I don't wanna misconstrue my current stance as being deeply disgruntled or opposed to this in any way, or that any feelings I've stated are static and unchanging. Heck to be honest, I wasn't even planning on buying this anyways (don't really enjoy non Marvel/DC comics) I just really like James Tynion and wanted to read the interview.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh, I feel bad I made that comment. Seems like this thread will evolve into a big debate and not be about the actual book

Mr. Tynion, I know I'm some random poster, but I am sorry about this. Best of luck with sales.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh, I feel bad I made that comment. Seems like this thread will evolve into a big debate and not be about the actual book

Mr. Tynion, I know I'm some random poster, but I am sorry about this. Best of luck with sales.

Don't feel bad. You were well articulated in your point and respectful in others replies to you and expressing your concerns. You didn't express those concerns out of ignorance, but out of genuine curiosity. I get what you were referring to, but as others have said, it's not something that should be hidden away or rather it's not an adult topic. Like all forms of attraction, it's more about how it's handled that matters. It can be in the form of "puppy love" or something innocent, much like those who mentioned Steven Universe and can use the feelings between Steven and Connie as an example. If it's treated respectfully and tastefully, then there's no issue. It'll only really be an issue to those who are sheltered from those who may different from them and thus it makes them uncomfortable. If a child is shown that someone with a different form of attraction is no different from you, then there won't be an issue. As for the parents who have an issue with this, well that's fine, it's not for them anyways.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@lagozzino: IDK, I'd say homosexuality is a pretty adult subject matter.

Not really, there even in a few kid cartoons like Nickelodeon's the Loud House that has a interracial gay married couple raising a son.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombietag:I amn´t saying to put sex scenes. In fact Jem and hollograms have straight couples and a lesbian couple and they never put a sex scene.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

I wasn’t saying that you angry but I could see parents being angry because of themes of this book. Of course, it´snt theme but how it´s portrayed, sometimes people have to talk about more “adult subjects” to kids. Just because all characters are LGBT characters doesn’t mean that is all about them as characters. Sometimes you test your limits about makes comfortable and uncomfortable, sometimes a uncomfortable thing could turn into comfortable thing and vice versa.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang3: I'm aware

@moogman13: What I was trying to say is I'm sorry that instead of talking about his comic, I inadvertently started an entirely different conversation

As for the rest, I already covered how I feel in my earlier comment

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering why there were more than 5 comments on something not marvel or dc. Now I get why LOL

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

BOOM! has some good ideas, but I never cared for the art.

Pitchblack24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombietag: Being gay is just as much an orientation as being straight so if straight characters love lives aren’t considered “sexual feelings” then neither should gay peoples you’re just prejudiced and trying to pass it off as if it was a logical thing gay people can exist without showing sex or sexual content.

Pitchblack24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Being gay is just as much an orientation as being straight so if straight characters love lives aren’t considered “sexual feelings” then neither should gay peoples you’re just prejudiced and trying to pass it off as if it was a logical thing gay people can exist without showing sex or sexual content.