• 128 results
HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52 HigorM  Moderator

"THE SHOW IS HAMPERED BY FAULTY LOGIC AND BAD STORYTELLING" - this is the summary of reviews so far.

doc4943

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My biggest complaint is with casting but it has nothing to do with race. If they must cast someone purely on the merit of being in a popular show could they at least have made some effort to make him look the part instead of a hobo you might find under a bridge somewhere. I'll be giving Game of Fists a wide miss thanks

Corch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geewhiz: you should get a nobel piece prize for that comment. Its just sometimes the whole all white characters complaints seem more racist.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#55 owie  Moderator

Maybe we should wait to see the show?

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't the reviews so far only for the first 6 episodes? I heard the show is supposed to have a slow build up, so that leaves some hope.

Also, the whole getting angry because a white character is played by a white guy is the stupidest thing I've heard in my life.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never expected anything good from this series at all. I've benn reading Marvel since I was five and Iron Fist is probably one of the worst heroes they have, yet I had faith in the Netflix/Marvel team up.

Gonna watch it anyway...

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geewhiz said:
@dark_stranger said:

Is the negativity about how the show is handled or another PC thing about the character not being Asian?

Cause I'm hearing more about the PC crap then anything about the show itself.

Which is stupid to begin with. Considering that Danny Rand has always been a Caucasian from the very beginning. So suddenly making him Asian or whatever just for some PC nonsense, is rather silly IMO.

The negative stuff I'm hearing seems mostly about having a white male cast as Iron Fist. As an 53 year old Asian male (American born of Chinese descent) who is a long time comic book fan since the 70's, I have no problems and approve of the casting of Iron Fist. He's a white guy in the comics and should be played by a white male.

I'm really sick and tired of the social justice warriors creating needless controversy. A lot of the complainers aren't even Asian and I think it's ridiculous when they try to lecture me on why I should be offended. The whole concept of cultural appropriation is stupid. People have been adopting elements from other cultures they have encountered throughout history and every race/culture has done it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

You commented on another article about this didn't you? I read this exact response word for word someplace else, and it seemed, that despite your ethnicity, you missed the point of why people were upset about the cultural appropriation and the "white savior" character that tends to happen (just like in The Last Samurai for example). It's one thing to imitate, it's another to adopt it as your own and show it off as "see, you were doing it wrong", which is the vibe some get from the "white savior" character. Now I"m not saying I agree with the arguments or even that having Danny Rand be of Asian decent would help (I feel that it would be a lose/lose and be accused of stereotyping). I just can see their point.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Rurgandy

@dark_stranger: Most of the negativity comes from the show having shit writing. Marvel is doing too many Netflix shows, the bubble is bursting, and they're running out of good ideas. Legion has raised the bar for superhero shows. Neck beards should stop crying over this "SJW bogeyman panic"

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moogman13: Even the 'cultural appropriation' argument isn't applicable in this case, K'un-Lun is a mystical city state in another dimension founded by aliens. Also, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the guy in the Last Samurai was based on a real person.

Danny is a long established popular character with an existing fan-base and his race is an important aspect of his characterization and yet people are accusing Marvel of racism for casting a white actor to play a white character wanting the character changed to Asian just because he does martial arts, it's all pretty damn pathetic.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron fist since his creation has always been a white male.... not sure why everyone always feels the need to change a characters ethnicity,gender,or sexual orientation.

i've heard really nothing bad about it , the only thing i can see being wrong with it is the fact he won't be wearing a costume at all throughout this season. " i merely basing that thought on a guess"

Lethal8ball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Lethal8ball

Zzzzzzzz....So tired of Marvel trying to cram these D listers down our throat. Cool a white guy who learns Kung Fu, Yeah never seen that before...and Luke Cage, Cool a strong guy who has no real powers...So boring and will not watch this garbage. I'll stick to reading Image comics, at least they have original ideas and are exciting!!

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i always wonder why people are following rotten tomatoes. i don't care about their rating. all i do is watch the movie and give my opinions. rotten tomato can go to hell.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I'm going to watch Iron Fist for a few reasons.

1. It's leading up to Defenders.
  2. I loved Daredevil, enjoyed Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, so I have a feeling I will like Iron Fist.
  3. It's surprising to hear Iron Fist not getting great reviews. I want to see why Iron Fist isn't as good as some people say. Maybe it depends on each persons' taste. Idk, I know what I'm doing on St. Patrick's Day! Watching Iron Fist!
TheIronLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently 14% on RT. Must be shit

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ManMadeOfKetchup

Don't think it's about race guys, it's just sh*t writing and editing. But seems like y'all already have an agenda here to bash SJWs or whatever.

It's not like the SJWs don't make themselves easy targets..Most of the "agenda to bash them" is brought upon themselves

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owain79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to it. I personally doubt it will be as good as daredevil (which set a pretty damn high benchmark) will likely to be better than Luke Cage (which I think went downhill toward the end) and unless its awful will be far better than Jessica Jones (I know it has its fans but I couldn't watch more than two episodes before giving up). As far all the whitewashing cobblers being discussed goes I don't really understand. What few comics I have read with Iron Fist have him white so... what's the problem? Only Asians can do martial arts? That's racist.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@xwraith said:
@the_stegman said:

From what I hear it's getting bad reviews, which is surprising.

@uugieboogie said:

Yeah I'm seeing nothing but bad things about this show...

The biggest complaint seemed to be that he's played by a white actor.

So a white character...being played by a white character...is bad? I really do hate other peoples opinions for this reason :p

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The woman playing Colleen can't act at all

SlymPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ahhhhh....

Please be good, please be good....
He's my favorite character (oh, really? Then that's wy my avatar...) and if "The Defender" have to work, Iron Fist must be good to drive all in.

Ah, please, be good...

chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By chrono
No Caption Provided

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lethal8ball: Really? Marvel comics are known for their creativity and being responsible for re-igniting a dead industry in the sixties and giving us the majority of the iconic industry-defining characters and concepts. On top of that you somehow think Image is the company that's the most original? wow, just wow.

Lethal8ball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@furiousweasel:

Yeah exactly. They killed it in the 60s through the 90s but you can only beat a dead horse so long. Image was a revitalizing breath In the industry with their original creative ideas that didn't always focus on superpowers. But hey there are suckers like you everywhere that keep wasting their money on recycled garbage and that's cool. To each their own. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Lethal8ball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@furiousweasel:

Yeah exactly. They killed it in the 60s through the 90s but you can only beat a dead horse so long. Image was a revitalizing breath In the industry with their original creative ideas that didn't always focus on superpowers. But hey there are suckers like you everywhere that keep wasting their money on recycled garbage and that's cool. To each their own. A fool and his money are soon parted. And don't get me wrong I buy and read some marvel and dc stuff...but deal like iron fist, like cage, one punch man is just a money bleeding tactic that I'm not falling for. Very lackluster in it's content.

Lethal8ball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@furiousweasel:

Yeah exactly. They killed it in the 60s through the 90s but you can only beat a dead horse so long. Image was a revitalizing breath In the industry with their original creative ideas that didn't always focus on superpowers. But hey there are suckers like you everywhere that keep wasting their money on recycled garbage and that's cool. To each their own. A fool and his money are soon parted. And don't get me wrong I buy and read some marvel and dc stuff...but sruff like iron fist, like cage, one punch man is just a money bleeding tactic that I'm not falling for. Very lackluster in it's content.

Lethal8ball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@furiousweasel:

Yeah exactly. They killed it in the 60s through the 90s but you can only beat a dead horse so long. Image was a revitalizing breath In the industry with their original creative ideas that didn't always focus on superpowers. But hey there are suckers like you everywhere that keep wasting their money on recycled garbage and that's cool. To each their own. A fool and his money are soon parted. And don't get me wrong I buy and read some marvel and dc stuff...but stuff like iron fist, like cage, one punch man is just a money bleeding tactic that I'm not falling for. Very lackluster in it's content.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am excited to see this show.

Also every time i see iron fist i assume he is asain for some reason.

Infinitias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats up with curly blonde Danny? wtf... He is asian, 0.0000001% asians are blond and not that white

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I've heard nothing but bad things and I'm very very sad.

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FuriousWeasel

@infinitias: God I hope you're being sarcastic, If you are then I apologise, there really needs to be an official sarcasm font.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

...Danny Rand is white...

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently 14% on RT. Must be shit

@chrono said:
No Caption Provided

Well, I at least now less people will believe that rotten tomatoes is biased towards MCU for whatever reason, that was freaking brutal.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read the reviews , yikes , it's being destroyed rn , was Iron Fist really a good idea?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geewhiz said:
@dark_stranger said:

Is the negativity about how the show is handled or another PC thing about the character not being Asian?

Cause I'm hearing more about the PC crap then anything about the show itself.

Which is stupid to begin with. Considering that Danny Rand has always been a Caucasian from the very beginning. So suddenly making him Asian or whatever just for some PC nonsense, is rather silly IMO.

The negative stuff I'm hearing seems mostly about having a white male cast as Iron Fist. As an 53 year old Asian male (American born of Chinese descent) who is a long time comic book fan since the 70's, I have no problems and approve of the casting of Iron Fist. He's a white guy in the comics and should be played by a white male.

I'm really sick and tired of the social justice warriors creating needless controversy. A lot of the complainers aren't even Asian and I think it's ridiculous when they try to lecture me on why I should be offended. The whole concept of cultural appropriation is stupid. People have been adopting elements from other cultures they have encountered throughout history and every race/culture has done it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

You commented on another article about this didn't you? I read this exact response word for word someplace else, and it seemed, that despite your ethnicity, you missed the point of why people were upset about the cultural appropriation and the "white savior" character that tends to happen (just like in The Last Samurai for example). It's one thing to imitate, it's another to adopt it as your own and show it off as "see, you were doing it wrong", which is the vibe some get from the "white savior" character. Now I"m not saying I agree with the arguments or even that having Danny Rand be of Asian decent would help (I feel that it would be a lose/lose and be accused of stereotyping). I just can see their point.

And I might actually believe that it was the case of Marvel dropping the ball on this if these same sites weren't already arguing for an Asian actor for Iron Fist and complaining about the "white savior" prior to seeing even a snippet from the show. A lot of them were going into this show with that in their head and were already against a white Danny Rand. Now again I haven't seen the show so maybe they are completely justified and it's my inner geek just wanting Iron Fist to be good and their previous thoughts have nothing to do with their review scores.

That being said I'm not betting on them right now, with only 12 reviews in total on RT, Marvel already producing three great to good shows, and there being an overabundance of overacting PC culture it's hard to look at that and not be at least mildly suspect. So I'll watch the show myself and take into consideration everything except the lead's skin color being a defining factor and make my own judgments.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews don't really matter at all to me when it comes to tv shows(not that they matter that much more with movies). Every critic brings their own innate biases to w/e they are reviewing. Granted there are some shows/movies which can be near universally lauded and some which can be universally hated but everything in between is just based on people's own preferences when it comes to entertainment.

Infinitias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@furiousweasel: no i am not sarcastic, its true that there are barely any naturally blond asians

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitias: He meant the Asian part. Danny isn't Asian he's always been a blond white dude.

Infinitias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: he is not bearded or curly haired though. he looks like a hobo in the show

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitias: He'll most likely lose the beard and what not as the show goes on.

JayRad207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't even imagine how done Clair is at this point, though...

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g2_ said:

Rotten Tomatoes can go the hell. I trust Tony.

^ This

I always trust a comic book site's article about a comic book tv show over any other site

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@g2_ said:

Rotten Tomatoes can go the hell. I trust Tony.

^ This

I always trust a comic book site's article about a comic book tv show over any other site

And honestly, something smells weird. Marvel's Netflix went from 100 to freaking 14? Now I'm even more curious to see Iron Fist.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can't wait to watch this.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2