I could accept him being Bi, but not just Gay

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nothing against homosexuals, but its kind of retarded to just proclaim "he's gay now" after 50 years of being a textbook womanizer/ladies man. Obviously done just for shock value.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously he's not gay only the one in the past is gay

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Storywise I can accept either that the "past"/ o5 Iceman is bisexual and the "current" Iceman is bi too or I can accept that time travel is impossible (yes even in fiction) because every time someone time travels the actually create a new parallel universe; thus explains why "past"/o5 Iceman is gay and the 616 Iceman is not. (+)

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Storywise I can accept either that the "past"/ o5 Iceman is bisexual and the "current" Iceman is bi too or I can accept that time travel is impossible (yes even in fiction) because every time someone time travels the actually create a new parallel universe; thus explains why "past"/o5 Iceman is gay and the 616 Iceman is not. (+)

Wait I was just told Bendis made Bobby gay out of nowhere. Whats this about time travel/past iceman? Obviously I'm missing some details.

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degalon said:
No Caption Provided
@kgb725 said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

Wait I was just told Bendis made Bobby gay out of nowhere. Whats this about time travel/past iceman? Obviously I'm missing some details.

Beast went back in time and brought back the Original Five members of the X-Men (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, and Beast) and brought them to the "present." Since there are now 2 Cyclops/Angels/Beasts/Icemans the fans dubbed the "past" members the o5.

A lot of things changed. One of them is that apparently o5 Iceman is gay. (+)

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degalon said:
No Caption Provided
@kgb725 said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

Beast went back in time and brought back the Original Five members of the X-Men (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, and Beast) and brought them to the "present." Since there are now 2 Cyclops/Angels/Beasts/Icemans the fans dubbed the "past" members the o5.

Just....because, apparently?

If anything, I could see o5 Beast as gay. Lookit that hair lol.

Seriously though, between Warren and Hank, making BOBBY gay was the odd choice.

I dunno. Marvel and DC writers have just been shoving their feet in their mouths up to the pelvis for the past 10 years or so with trying to force shock value on everything, so I'm waiting till they go out like Pacman.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degalon: It's possible young Bobby was confused we don't know what Jean read in Bobby's mind. And Hank was poised to get with Jean until they randomly dropped that angle

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degalon: It actually makes sense to me if he ends up being bisexual or if o5 Iceman ends up being from a parallel universe. (+)

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Loading Video...

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is he wasn't just turned gay out of nowhere, people have made jokes about Iceman being gay for years, hell even Family Guy had a cutaway joking about it back in like 2006 lol

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

The thing is he wasn't just turned gay out of nowhere, people have made jokes about Iceman being gay for years, hell even Family Guy had a cutaway joking about it back in like 2006 lol

Just because jokes are made doesn't mean he's actually gay. So it's still out of nowhere.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pizzaman said:
@blade_r said:

Just because jokes are made doesn't mean he's actually gay. So it's still out of nowhere.

I probably worded it wrong, but I didn't mean just jokes, I probably should have said "speculations".

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:
@pizzaman said:
@blade_r said:

I probably worded it wrong, but I didn't mean just jokes, I probably should have said "speculations".

Speculations by fans. Still doesn't mean anything.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pizzaman said:
@blade_r said:
@pizzaman said:
@blade_r said:

Those speculations turned out to be correct though, so I wouldn't say they didn't mean anything.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Yeah... straight...

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:
@pizzaman said:
@blade_r said:
@pizzaman said:
@blade_r said:

Those speculations turned out to be correct though, so I wouldn't say they didn't mean anything.

If there were any hints in the comics leading up to it then i wouldn't have a problem. Bendis randomly turned Iceman gay for no reason.

Avatar image for faithandbegorrah
FaithAndBegorrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of agree. I don't like it when writers change a characters race/gender/sexual orientation after a character has been around for 50+ years. At the MOST you can make him bi. We've been through his relationships and all his bitchyness. You can't just write oops no he suppressed his gayness so he doesn't actually know that he's gay anymore. I'm not gay but I'm sure that's not how it works

LeRizador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im in between on the issue..bobby might be my favorite hero and ofc I have nothing against homosexuality and if he was gay i would still love him

but it just didnt feel right

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny I was looking up marvel database on bi and gay heroes and iceman from 616 is not listed on any of them. O5 iceman is on the gay list.

OtaconMGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait wait wait... I thought it was just O5 iceman that was gay not 616 iceman ?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@otaconmgs: I think 616 from the present is being ret conned into being gay

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_omega_prime: That's what I was told by a few fans I'm not sure if Jean and young Bobby confronted present Bobby yet

OtaconMGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well as I said before will find out in uncanny x-men 600 that is if they ever release it.

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't post pics on here with this tablet but I can put the link. I found this page on the preview of uncanny x-men 600. http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/148/805/original/UXM600_1.jpg?1432153480

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/148/805/original/UXM600_1.jpg?1432153480

icecold14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_omega_prime: watch Iceman not be gay hahah but I'm pretty sure the straight one is gonna die cuss I guess for conic writers it's all about homosexuals "sigh"

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay...

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still say gay iceman is from a alternate universe. It says on marvel database that the O5 X-men come from a alternate 616 set in the past.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of agree. I don't like it when writers change a characters race/gender/sexual orientation after a character has been around for 50+ years. At the MOST you can make him bi. We've been through his relationships and all his bitchyness. You can't just write oops no he suppressed his gayness so he doesn't actually know that he's gay anymore. I'm not gay but I'm sure that's not how it works

I agree that established characters should not have their race/gender/sexual orientation altered. It's diversity by subtraction. Instead of adding someone new who is diverse, lazy writers take an established character or hero concept (like Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man) and "create" diversity by REMOVING the white straight guy. This doesn't really establish strong diverse characters who stand out on their own merit, it just kills off white straight guys.

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@just_sayin: well well well at least I'm not alone here.

OtaconMGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

how can O5 be gay and 616 be straight if there soppose to be the same person ?

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degalon said:
@yung_ancient_one said:
@degalon said:
No Caption Provided
@kgb725 said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

Just....because, apparently?

If anything, I could see o5 Beast as gay. Lookit that hair lol.

Seriously though, between Warren and Hank, making BOBBY gay was the odd choice.

I dunno. Marvel and DC writers have just been shoving their feet in their mouths up to the pelvis for the past 10 years or so with trying to force shock value on everything, so I'm waiting till they go out like Pacman.

yea angel seemed like more the obvious choice

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

@yodaprime: oh speaking of angel if the O5 x-men are the past 616 ones then since O5 angel now has cosmic powers wouldn't 616 angel have cosmic powers to ?

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By YodaPrime

@kid_omega_prime said:

@yodaprime: oh speaking of angel if the O5 x-men are the past 616 ones then since O5 angel now has cosmic powers wouldn't 616 angel have cosmic powers to ?

That would make sense.

But i'm thinking we are treating them like alternate reality characters. I think the only real impact they can have on their future self is if they die, the present version might as well... but even that.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OtaconMGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By OtaconMGS

@yodaprime: like kop said before marvel writers made a mistake when they did battle of the atom. If the O5 are from a alternate universe then scoot wouldn't vanish when O5 Scott was kiled. They should rewrite that part to fix the mistake.

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@otaconmgs: yeah but they probably wont. That's probably one of the reasons there taking so long to put out the new issue because they wrote themselves into a corner.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So... 616 Iceman IS gay after all. I'm not quite sur if I accept it or not.
The thing is, there were many speculations over the years so it doesn't feel IMO so out of nowhere.
One thing to know is that many gay men revealed it to themselves after one or many heterosexual relationships (I know of some guys who were once married and even had children but are now gay).
But Iceman really didn't seem to have any kind of struglle of that type, so I would have prefered him to come out as a bisexual.
Finally, there is the fact that bisexuality isn't acknowledged by some people who see it as not being sure of one's sexuality, so maybe it would bea easier to out him as a gay for him to be fully acknowledged.

PS : I don't think it's relevant, but I am bisexual so I know a thing or two about these struggles.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

lol what say you now?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so i am not gay and not a mutant lol but in the comic he basically said he couldnt handle being both so he chose to be a mutant over being gay... Again idk from experience but wouldnt it be easier to say you were gay rather than a mutant? His life was put in danger on a constant bases for being a mutant, seems like it would have been less threatening to be gay.

I know it had been hinted at in the past but i wish they would have just left him alone or like people stated previously that it should be an alternate reality so adult iceman would still be straight. Marvel should get their $h*t straight, either all the things that happen to the O5 effect the adults or none of it should. Angel should have cosmic powers (although that would have changed the outcome to many stories and i think angel has been killed and recreated at some point so that could explain that)

justin_blank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have just caught up on X-men comics and I agree completely. Iceman being Bi I would have no problem with. That would make sense with what's been established, he was ignoring his attraction to men because he didn't want to experience prejudice for that aspect of his character as well. But straight up only being interested in men? That messes up decades on continuity and cheapens it. Even as recently as original X-men were brought to the present this doesn't add up. In Astonishing X-men 62-65 the "Frozen' storyline, Bobby's SUBCONSCIOUS kidnaps the women he loved to protect them...if he was gay during that it doesn't really make any sense. If he was bi then it would still be valid, as would any future relationships he had with men. Don't care if a characters gay, I just hate retcons that don't work with the character's past.

Ajax24601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ajax24601

@Degalon: It was sort of "out of nowhere," but I think there were just enough details in comics to make a case for him being gay. Uncanny x-men 415 (run by Chuck Austen, whose storylines have been re-hashed in 2014) had a scene with Bobby and Northstar, where a nurse suggested Bobby might be gay.

That was like in 2003.

Foxman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am gay and I have mixed feelings about this. Deep down, I don’t really like it. On one hand, I have older gay friends (in their 50s, 60s, etc) who married women, lived in the closet for decades because there was a time when being out could get you fired, disowned, discriminated against, and worse killed. Fortunately times are much better. Thus the while idea that Iceman was in denial all those years is believable. However…I hate when major/iconic characters are retconned and its even worse when that retcon seems forced or unnecessary. Marvel has proved many times its on the right side of history with LGBT acceptance. We have Northstar, Wiccan, Hulkling, Rictor, Karma, Mystique, Destiny…etc. This retcon of Iceman gives the appearance of pandering to LGBT readers when they don’t need to. if Marvel wants more gay/lesbian characters, create news ones interesting and out and proud from day one. Or if they really really want Iceman, pull some alternate version (although I don’t care for that plot twist either).

ubungqingili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ubungqingili

well, he is gay so deal with it in its gonna stay like that he has always been gay kisses.

No Caption Provided

Kawakiwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gay iceman is best iceman.