Also Cho-Ception

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is satisfying news. Good riddance to Doc Green.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#53  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@edblank: He's not claiming to be THE Hulk as far as we know is he? He's just A new Hulk whose getting focused on a bit more right now. Does that help at all? I'm not trying to force you to want it or anything like that but if I could help you be less disappointed that'd be cool.

: @atheistknowledge: Actually Hulk was just a name tacked on to Bruce's alter ego by a random solider and the term Hulk has been used for gamma mutants associated with him or similar in appearance .

So while the actual creature is an entity unique to Banner, the word Hulk is not. The day he goes around claiming to be the one and only Hulk, the savage hulk, joe fixit, the incredible hulk, the professor, kluh, etc then the complaints might make a bit more sense.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: the funniest thing about this is that marvel has gone on record and said that they don't make legacy's they make characters and yet 4 out of their big 6 are now legacy's ( cap, hulk, thor, and wolverine)

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevinwalsh said:
@atheistknowledge said:

@kevinwalsh: Yes, because good writers and good artists are infallible.

No, I never said that. If the story or art is there, who cares if the characters are this race or that gender...........just enjoy a good comic. I'm not saying this is going to be the best thing out, but who cares who's the Hulk or Thor or Batman if there is a compelling story. Let that be the thing that drives whether you read something or not, not holding on to some petty notion that every character has to be locked into a mantel of one thing. Bruce is in this comic, he might be doing cool things as just Bruce. Thor Odinson is still in Thor rocking a badass metal arm and a giant ax. Good stories are what I like in a comic.

No normal person does when it's a newly made character. But when you take someone like Superman for instance and suddenly make him black for no reason other then we need more colored people but we don't wanna make new characters so we are just gonna change the per-existing ones. Would it be any different if they changed Black Panther and made him white or Asian? Everyone would lose their minds and start pulling the racist card and rightfully so but change a white person into anyone else and that's viewed as a good thing apparently.

I care, because there is no Hulk without Banner and there is no Banner without Hulk. Hulk is a conscious born out of Banners trauma and is directly influenced by his mood and personality. Hulk has even existed inside Banner before Banner ever got hit by the gamma bomb that transformed him. It's not a freaking mantle, it's his IDENTITY. Banner being Hulk is completely different to something like Steve Rogers being Captain America, that is a mantle, being Hulks is not. Good stories should not be a substitute for character assassination, you can still have amazing stories with the characters you made in the first place.

".........we need more colored people" yikes. If the stories are justified, I really don't care. I'm not going to cast judgement on a change until I get to read the book. And an "assassination" of character seems like you are really passionate about this, I don't read or know nearly enough Hulk to compete (haven't there been like a bunch of Hulks? Seems like a mantel), so Im just going to let it go.

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sgu823

I love this. Amadeus Cho is an amazing character that's been heavily underutilized and, honestly, I think he's a vastly more interesting character than Banner ever was. Also, since Jason Aaron isn't writing this, I know it's not going to pander to SJWs and insult my intelligence.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel headquarter must be in Russia, since in America, American males are changed to whites instead of the other way around. lol

Well, I'm pumped for this, I'll definitely pick this up religiously. It sounds like a fun shake up.

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, because... straight white male superheroes are always interestingly written regardless of the writer, right? What point are you even trying to make? Also, could you have a more "euphoric", neckbeardy name?

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Amadeus hulks out, will he retain his intelligence or will he become a monster? By the images it looks like he will keep his persona

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank: He's not claiming to be THE Hulk as far as we know is he? He's just A new Hulk whose getting focused on a bit more right now. Does that help at all? I'm not trying to force you to want it or anything like that but if I could help you be less disappointed that'd be cool.

: @atheistknowledge: Actually Hulk was just a name tacked on to Bruce's alter ego by a random solider and the term Hulk has been used for gamma mutants associated with him or similar in appearance .

So while the actual creature is an entity unique to Banner, the word Hulk is not. The day he goes around claiming to be the one and only Hulk, the savage hulk, joe fixit, the incredible hulk, the professor, kluh, etc

I know that and it has nothing to do with the point i was trying to make, there have been characters in Marvel called Hulk before Hulk even existed and they don't even have anything to do with him but the Hulk i am talking about is unique to Banner and no one else is my point.

@kevinwalsh Well good for you because i do care and i am passionate about it. You are in it for the stories i am in it for both the characters and the stories. Yea there are a bunch of Hulks because they are pretty much their own "race" that does not make it a mantle however you might as well say a human being is a mantle. Yea it was clear to me that you are not that familiar with Hulk to begin with.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Amadeus hulks out, will he retain his intelligence or will he become a monster? By the images it looks like he will keep his persona

I'm curious about this, because this could bring a totally new dynamic to Hulk.

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevinwalsh said:
@atheistknowledge said:

No, I never said that. If the story or art is there, who cares if the characters are this race or that gender...........just enjoy a good comic. I'm not saying this is going to be the best thing out, but who cares who's the Hulk or Thor or Batman if there is a compelling story. Let that be the thing that drives whether you read something or not, not holding on to some petty notion that every character has to be locked into a mantel of one thing. Bruce is in this comic, he might be doing cool things as just Bruce. Thor Odinson is still in Thor rocking a badass metal arm and a giant ax. Good stories are what I like in a comic.

No normal person does when it's a newly made character. But when you take someone like Superman for instance and suddenly make him black for no reason other then we need more colored people but we don't wanna make new characters so we are just gonna change the per-existing ones. Would it be any different if they changed Black Panther and made him white or Asian? Everyone would lose their minds and start pulling the racist card and rightfully so but change a white person into anyone else and that's viewed as a good thing apparently.

I care, because there is no Hulk without Banner and there is no Banner without Hulk. Hulk is a conscious born out of Banners trauma and is directly influenced by his mood and personality. Hulk has even existed inside Banner before Banner ever got hit by the gamma bomb that transformed him. It's not a freaking mantle, it's his IDENTITY. Banner being Hulk is completely different to something like Steve Rogers being Captain America, that is a mantle, being Hulks is not. Good stories should not be a substitute for character assassination, you can still have amazing stories with the characters you made in the first place.

Christ, some people are so dramatic.

This isn't "the punisher is black!" from the 90's for crying out loud. "Hulk" isn't Banners "IDENTITY" or whatever, it's just a title. Just like "Doc Green" and "Maestro" are titles.

This new Hulk? It's not like the Thor situation where they just take the name and powers that directly belong to another person. It's a different character. Just like She-Hulk, Rulk and Skaar are different Hulks. Just like Wally West, Kyle Rayner and Carol Danvers are legacy characters.

I don't understand why some people can't wrap their heads around it.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@avenging_x_bolt said:

So while the actual creature is an entity unique to Banner, the word Hulk is not. The day he goes around claiming to be the one and only Hulk, the savage hulk, joe fixit, the incredible hulk, the professor, kluh, etc

Yep, because being a "Hulk" is a lot easier to say than "Gamma Mutate" or something of that nature. I mean I don't mind this, especially since? I haven't been a fan of the whole "Doc Green" thing especially since it's heavily implied to be the beginnings of the Maestro personality.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgu823 said:
@atheistknowledge said:

Yes, because... straight white male superheroes are always interestingly written regardless of the writer, right? What point are you even trying to make? Also, could you have a more "euphoric", neckbeardy name?

Oh look, a straw man. Have i ever said or even alluded to white male superhores always being written interestingly regardless of a character? Don't make such ridiculous presumptions please. My point? Don't change/replace pre-existing characters gender/race for the sake of diversifying the character(that's not how diversity works), instead create a new one and assign him any gender or race you want. Point clear enough? I most certainly could, i could have added the word "ultimate". But the one i have is already triggering enough as i learned on these forums.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Meh, Marvel has been cheapening the Hulk dynamic for over a decade now. I'm numb to by now.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Rubear

Marvel headquarter must be in Russia, since in America, American males are changed to whites instead of the other way around. lol

LMAO

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tears are delicious on this thread. I need more. :D

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

Cho's a cool character, Pak's a good writer, Cho's a good artist, I'm excited.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sesquipedalophobe said:

This.

Cho's a cool character, Pak's a good writer, Cho's a good artist, I'm excited.

No Caption Provided

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: but this Hulk isn't the one you're talking about or claiming to be the one you're talking about so I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: What do you mean it is not the Hulk i am talking about? Which Hulk is this exactly?

Jacobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Marvel make all this fuss and it's the most obvious answer really marvel really

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacobite said:

Marvel make all this fuss and it's the most obvious answer really marvel really

It's more of a worst kept secret than Hillary running for President. I think everyone figured it out the instance they see the silhouette.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Amadeus Cho. The ...."totally awesome" Hulk. Last I checked, he's a totally different person then Bruce Banner which would mean that his Hulk isn't Bruce/ Incredible Hulk.

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Banner is Hulk and Hulk is Banner....

As I said it before the 2 sides of the same coin....

I don't like the change...I grew up with the one and only green giant...

All the other attempts to replace Hulk in the past failed(Rick Jones,Rulk,Skaar)

I have faith in Pak for good stories,but something will be missing...

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Umm, that's my whole point? They took the Hulk from Banner and gave it to Cho, he obviously isn't either Bruce or Incredible Hulk since Cho isn't Bruce and the Incredible Hulk(no matter the persona) are all born from Banners consciousness.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By green_skaar

Folks, Hulk is a fairly generic term for various gamma-powered characters. She-Hulk, Red Hulk, etc. Cho will just be the next, but in this case being the primary one. I doubt he'll take Banner's back story or anything silly, in fact it sounds like Banner might still be out and about in the world.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Since Dr. Helen Cho appeared in Age of Ultron. I'm thinking her son will appear in the MCU at some point in the future, especially turning into a different Hulk.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@spulk:

They never made any attempts to replace Hulk. I'm pretty sure that all the stories where Bruce was depowe red were always intended to be temporary.

But that's just my hunch so I guess I could be wrong

@atheistknowledge: how do you know? Have you read the story yet? How do you know it's not a case like Red Hulk where he's a complete new gamma mutant who just calls himself a Hulk? We know that Bruce wasn't erased from existence because he's been confirmed to show up as Hulk in the first issue so I don't see how they took it away from him.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Because they said so? This is the new Hulk, THE ONE AND ONLY HULK. This is not like what they did with Red Hulk at all.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Don't you think they mean that he's the only active Hulk at the moment, not that he's bonded to one of Bruce's Hulk personas?

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By poeticwarrior

Chun-Li, The Last Airbender, 21, Mandarin, Dr. Strange's Mentor, Dragon Balls, Ghost in the Shell, Speed Racer, 47 Ronins.

You know how many movies where the races have changed to whites in the name of profit? Yeah, change it the other way around is pandering. Love the hypocrisy.

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

So this is a book about an older hero (Banner) passing the torch to a new hero (Cho).

Which is the same thing happening in Daredevil, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Blade, and Captain America.

The House of Ideas indeed.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The title sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Nite_Nite

@atheistknowledge: well discrimination is ruled out on account of Marvel being a company run by White guys and secondly on account that white characters in Marvel are still a majority.

Marvel only made like four characters pass the torch and you guys are crying? It's not that big a deal.

The reason making black panther a white guy would be a problem is because he was created to add diversity to marvels line-up, thus "black panther". He was made during an important time in America.

Only racists use "the race card", normal people just agree that "these people are under represented or mistreated".

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: well discrimination is ruled out on account of Marvel being a company run by White guys and secondly on account that white characters in Marvel are still a majority.

Marvel only made like four characters pass the torch and you guys are crying? It's not that big a deal.

The reason making black panther a white guy would be a problem is because he was created to add diversity to marvels line-up, thus "black panther". He was made during an important time in America.

Only racists use "the race card", normal people just agree that "these people are under represented or mistreated".

If they pass it to another white guy, then there wouldn't be as much outcry since it happened many times throughout comic history already.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Nite_Nite
Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: being honest there'd be as much outcry if the title was passed to another white, as there was when Wally became the flash. Most of these guys only have a problem because the new mantle bearer isn't white and a man.

I could've sworn the slogan was "All-New All-Different"; maybe they missed it

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Writer Greg Pak revealed that the mystery wasn't about who totally awesome Hulk was, but it's going to be more about what happened to Banner and what state he is in, since he went through a ton of changes over the past few years.

This quote right here gives me more hope for the series. I'm still pissed that, even with Greg Pak's involvement, I can't fully enjoy my favourite character because of this ridiculous change, but as long as Pak uses this as a gateway to explore the Hulk lore, as well as Banner's character, I'll be happy.

Another reason to be excited is that Pak has already written a Banner who had lost the ability to become the Hulk. As I recall the "father and son" arc was one of the best recent stories to date, so if any writer can pull this off, it's probably Greg Pak. Only difference now is that instead of Skaar, we have Amadeus cho, a character with whom Greg Is very experienced with.

As for the reveal, I'm pretty sure anyone who has read Greg Pak's incredible Hulks/Hulk run would have pretty much guessed it was Amadeus cho. I mean, how much more obvious could it have been? The previews wouldn't have thrown anyone off either. Marvel has no subtlety.

@atheistknowledge:Thoughts?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tsk after doc green went around curing all those gamma people

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I like how people keep getting fooled by marvel. They have this "mystery" and everyone guesses it in two seconds and then marvel just goes "Are you suuuure?" and then everyone is like "UUUUH WAIT A MINUTE!?!" just for them to turn around and be like "Nah you were right the first time, gotcha!"

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Don't you think they mean that he's the only active Hulk at the moment, not that he's bonded to one of Bruce's Hulk personas?

He is not bonded to Hulks persona he is gonna have his persona in fact i am sure it will just be Amadeus Cho without any Hulk personality of his own.

Well that argument convinces me entirely, white people can't discriminate against one another, you really hit the nail on the head there, genius. Can you feel the sarcasm? The hell does that have to do with the fact that they are changing many popular marvel characters? I don't care if rest of the Marvel universe is made of 99.99% of one ethnicity if they screw over a single dude, they are still discriminating against him.

Yea i guess we should all agree on an arbitrary number, maybe 17? After that we can riot. This is not a pissing contest i don't care about the quantity i am concerned about one character in particular here.

Ah yes he was made with the intention to diversify Marvel, so screw all others that where not right? Because he is a minority he has more rights then anyone else?

Good considering i agree that many minorities are represented and mistreated we should start by giving them original characters and original titles, instead of just borrowing from the white folks considering that is mistreated both parties, but what do i know i only live in a country that has a history of being mistreated and underrepresented but at least i suffered through 2 wars, i need to check my privilege.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

What this really means is they are just letting Doc Green/Maestro take over Banner's body?... like seriously they spend 2012-2015 having Banner in the forefront working with the Avengers and becoming close friends with Cap, Tony, and the rest of the gang just for all of them to not give any kinda f&%$ about him when he actually needs their help? Seriously?

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

Writer Greg Pak revealed that the mystery wasn't about who totally awesome Hulk was, but it's going to be more about what happened to Banner and what state he is in, since he went through a ton of changes over the past few years.

This quote right here gives me more hope for the series. I'm still pissed that, even with Greg Pak's involvement, I can't fully enjoy my favourite character because of this ridiculous change, but as long as Pak uses this as a gateway to explore the Hulk lore, as well as Banner's character, I'll be happy.

Another reason to be excited is that Pak has already written a Banner who had lost the ability to become the Hulk. As I recall the "father and son" arc was one of the best recent stories to date, so if any writer can pull this off, it's probably Greg Pak. Only difference now is that instead of Skaar, we have Amadeus cho, a character with whom Greg Is very experienced with.

As for the reveal, I'm pretty sure anyone who has read Greg Pak's incredible Hulks/Hulk run would have pretty much guessed it was Amadeus cho. I mean, how much more obvious could it have been? The previews wouldn't have thrown anyone off either. Marvel has no subtlety.

Indeed though i honestly never imagined they would just abandon Banner entirely, i am still not happy that he was given the Thor treatment and is turned into a side-character in what once was his own book.

Good point, but while that is similar in a way it's not entire the same. Banner back then only lost the ability to transform he didn't lose the Hulk entirely and gave it to another character. And in the end that didn't last long before Banner gained the ability to transform back into Hulk again.

You would be surprised my friend, aside from those people that where obviously joking there are many, many people that actually believe Hulk would be some ridiculous character that does not tie into the story or has any relation to Banner/Hulk at all.

As we said already the biggest problem here is that while we desperately want to enjoy the story because it's written by Pak, my favorite Hulk writer. We can't do so because a part of it will always be missing there will always be that one little(yet jarring) detail that will prevent us from fully enjoying the series. Then again i am still happier that it's Cho(someone Pak co-created and someone who has a history with Hulk) then some random character that has nothing to do with Hulk or Banner.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@theacidskull said:

Indeed though i honestly never imagined they would just abandon Banner entirely, i am still not happy that he was given the Thor treatment and is turned into a side-character in what once was his own book.

Good point, but while that is similar in a way it's not entire the same. Banner back then only lost the ability to transform he didn't lose the Hulk entirely and gave it to another character. And in the end that didn't last long before Banner gained the ability to transform back into Hulk again.

You would be surprised my friend, aside from those people that where obviously joking there are many, many people that actually believe Hulk would be some ridiculous character that does not tie into the story or has any relation to Banner/Hulk at all.

As we said already the biggest problem here is that while we desperately want to enjoy the story because it's written by Pak, my favorite Hulk writer. We can't do so because a part of it will always be missing there will always be that one little(yet jarring) detail that will prevent us from fully enjoying the series. Then again i am still happier that it's Cho(someone Pak co-created and someone who has a history with Hulk) then some random character that has nothing to do with Hulk or Banner.

Yeah, I agree completely. It's one of thous situations where you just try to make the best of it. Though Banner kind of didn't give up being Hulk, we know he'll be back, and Cho does have a troubled past so that gives him space to create his own dynamic with his alter ego. Plus Pak understands how passionate fans are, which is why I'm trying to be more optimistic.

The situation is shit, obviously, but I'm glad we have Pak to make the best of this rather than someone who would further degrade Hulks character. I'm also, like you, glad it's Cho, since he does share an important history in Banners life ( well so does rick jones but he already became the Hulk at one point).

What role do you think Banner will play?

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno said:

I'm actually starting to feel discriminated against. Is Tony Stark the only white male left in the Marvel universe? I fear he will be soon.

me and you, and even then Iron man looks more anime. All hope is lost.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Well we don't, if you think about it Banner might be completely thrilled with being rid of Hulk. And the way Alonso speaks he kinda suggests to me that Banner will never be the Hulk again, or at least it will take a long time before he ever returns to being the Hulk.

If anyone can make it work it's Pak, that's the only silver lining in all of this.

It's impossible to say at this point, we don't know what happened in the 8 months between Secret Wars and everyone returning to Earth, the fact that there is a mystery revolving around him makes it all the harder, so it's anyones guess but i hope he plays a bigger role then just being the Rick Jones to Amadeus Cho's Hulk.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers