Hulk,why so many haters?

hulkinup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hulkinup

As a lifelong fan of the Hulk I often ponder the reasons why people dislike him so much.Is it because his power of getting physically stronger as he gets angrier(making him too powerful)? Is it just because there was never a Hulk story that they enjoyed reading? Is it because some people always think he's just a dumb strong guy(not true considering how many incarnations there are of him)?Constructive answers only please.

Meanstreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Meanstreak

I think it's mainly because of the way A large number of Hulk fanboys act like the Hulk is Unbeatable.

Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually like him a lot. One of my favorite Marvel Characters. But, the fanboys (No Offense) annoy the hell out of me when they debate with him.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By AtPhantom
Meanstreak said:
"I think it's mainly because of the way A large number of Hulk fanboys act like the Hulk is Unbeatable."
Agreed. I liked the Hulk before I came here, and then I came upon scores of people who think Hulk can handle anything through physical strength...
Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adam Michaels

I agree with you. I think Hulk is a very unique character. He's not just a super hero with the will to do good or to save people from danger. It's really about a  man in a real deep struggle within himself to control his emotions and his temper. A man who just so happens to become a behemoth if he does get angry. But a lot of us can relate to that. I know I do find myself at times struggling to keep me from bursting out to let's say tell off my boss or yell at some idiot in the subway who deserves a smack or 2.

One reason I believe Hulk might not be so appealing to the general masses is because it could be monotonous. What I mean is that the whole story is based on a man trying to control his anger. There is not much flexibility.

While X-Men have to deal with world threats, mutant only threats, and the inner termoil of the team, Hulk is only having to deal with his anger.
While Spider-Man has to deal with different love interests, fighting crimelords, men who have lost their minds, alien symbiotes, balance his personal, work, and social life, Hulk is only having to deal with his anger.
While Fantastic Four have to deal with family issues and fight off city to underground to galactic threats, Hulk is only having to deal with his anger.
While Iron Man has to deal with a multi-million dollar company, women who are often mad at him for playing them, his demons with alcohol, as well as all the villains who threaten him or his company, Hulk is only having to deal with his anger.

I love Hulk and I really do feel Edward Norton's portrayal of Bruce Banner in the 2008 film was amazing. I do wish he reprises his role. I really enjoyed that movie. But I can see how a lot of people might be turned off by Hulk because threre is not much diversity in him. Besides the green that most people associate Hulk with, there is not much "color" to the character.

I guess that's my take on why Hulk isn't considered among the elite in comics like Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, and Batman.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I'm a decent Hulk fan, and I've been a HUGE fan of Loeb's Hulk book, it's ridiculous. I just finished issue #10, not a fan at all.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By John Valentine
inferiorego said:
"I'm a decent Hulk fan, and I've been a HUGE fan of Loeb's Hulk book, it's ridiculous. I just finished issue #10, not a fan at all.
"

You like Loeb's Hulk because it's ridiculous?
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Nighthunter

I consider him boring as hell

The fanboys are incredibly annoying

Most overrated character ever

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Sparda

From what I can gather, most people hate him cause his fanboys can act like complete utter dumbasses. He's one of my favourite characters though.If I had to pick a normal Hulk comic (not this Rulk stuff) or most anything else I'd choose the Hulk comic.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
John Valentine said:
"inferiorego said:
"I'm a decent Hulk fan, and I've been a HUGE fan of Loeb's Hulk book, it's ridiculous. I just finished issue #10, not a fan at all.
"

You like Loeb's Hulk because it's ridiculous? "
Yes, it's stupid, turn-you-brain-off fun.
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Erik
inferiorego said:
"John Valentine said:
"inferiorego said:
"

"
True. Besides, who needs a brain when you are reading the Hulk?
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
erik said:
"inferiorego said:
"John Valentine said:
"inferiorego said:
"

"
True. Besides, who needs a brain when you are reading the Hulk?
"
COMPLEX STORYLINE HURT INFERIOREGO HEAD!
claws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By claws

he is an good charcter but he is one of the most hated charcters on the site along with wolverine,spiderman

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14  Edited By The_Martian

His fanboys.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By King_Saturn
Hulk has too many Fanboys... there are at least Two Hulk Fanboys for every One Hulk Hater
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell
Nighthunter said:
"I consider him boring as hell

"
gets in the trenches with Nighthunter

Agreed. "Hulk Smash"  "Who's the Red Hulk?" you mean its not the same lame ass dude who's the green Hulk? So you mean there's actually more then one Hulk running around? All they need is a Yellow and Purple Hulk and they can form the Rainbow Hulk army.

hulkinup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hulkinup

I see,so for some it's really the fanboys who make people dislike Hulk a little.I can kind of understand that,I usually don't get deep into Hulk arguments because to me it's not really worth it.I'm a huge fan though and I love some of the stories that have come out in the past:Planet and World War Hulk were awesome,Hulk:Future Imperfect(Maestro Story),The storyline where there were different incarnations in Banner's head all battling for supremacy,And then there's hulk:The End which was amazing in my opinion!  Kudos to Adam Michaels,his post above is very well put! So I guess for most it all boils down to fanboyism.

Theracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Theracles

Hulk fanboys, they believe he can defeat anyone if he gets enraged enough, I have seen a thread where someone actually posted that the Hulk can return from being erased from reality by punching back into reality. I recall a Hulk fanboy even saying that the Hulk could defeat Galactus if he gets angry enough, it is the biased stupidity of Hulk fanboys that grants him haters.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Martian
Gambler said:
"Nighthunter said:

"

Agreed. "Hulk Smash"  "Who's the Red Hulk?" you mean its not the same ass dude who's the green Hulk? So you mean there's actually more then one Hulk running around? All they need is a Yellow and Purple Hulk and they can form the Rainbow Hulk army."
To be fair DC has three Superman's in Earth 1 and soon to be four lol
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Ghostshell
Nobody said:
" To be fair DC has three Superman's in Earth 1 and soon to be four lol
"
And Superman has just as many haters. How many Spiderman's are there? Or use to be (I haven't been keeping track) seems like there was or is alot more then 4. There was 3 just in the Avengers Initiative.
The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Martian
Gambler said:
"Nobody said:
"
And Superman has just as many haters. How many Spiderman's are there? Or use to be (I haven't been keeping track) seems like there was or is alot more then 4. There was 3 just in the Avengers Initiative.
"
Those were Scarlet Spiders completely different:P But currently there are two Spider-Man's if we count Venom who is taking his name.
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Ghostshell
Nobody said:
"Gambler said:
"Nobody said:
"
"
Those were Scarlet Spiders completely different:P But currently there are two Spider-Man's if we count Venom who is taking his name.
"
LOL oohhhh. I see, Scarlet Spiders :P
Saint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Saint
Gambler said:
"Nighthunter said:

"

Agreed. "Hulk Smash"  "Who's the Red Hulk?" you mean its not the same ass dude who's the green Hulk? So you mean there's actually more then one Hulk running around? All they need is a Yellow and Purple Hulk and they can form the Rainbow Hulk army."
Completely agree with these two.
Jab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jab

the issue of hulk that came out this week might be the worst comic ive ever read. do you really need an entire book collecting people with no payoff? that's a free webcomic marvel should have, not something people pay for. madness.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
Jab said:
"the issue of hulk that came out this week might be the worst comic ive ever read. do you really need an entire book collecting people with no payoff? that's a free webcomic marvel should have, not something people pay for. madness.
"
It's the 90s all over again
SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SUNMAN
Meanstreak said:
"I think it's mainly because of the way A large number of Hulk fanboys act like the Hulk is Unbeatable."

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By danhimself

the fanboys annoy me it's the same with jugernaut...they're both invincible and can beat anyone at anytime and no one can hurt them

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's nothing wrong with Hulk.  He's a great character within his somewhat narrow boundaries, and when written properly he serves as a brilliant bridge into explorations of how the mind works and how we determine our basic humanity. 

The problem, as has already been mentioned, is the fanboys who want to make Hulk into something he's not.  No, he couldn't really roll with Superman, and that isn't a bad thing.  He has so much more going for him than the Man of Steel as a character.  The worst Hulk writing tries to bring him down to that level: just a big angry strong brick, with no complexity or torment, basically just a walking powerset. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't hate Hulk.His fanboys are actually more bearable than some.Hulk has some pretty outrageous feats.The only thing I don't like about Hulk is the inconsistencies in his writing.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Andferne
danhimself said:
"the fanboys annoy me it's the same with jugernaut...they're both invincible and can beat anyone at anytime and no one can hurt them"

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Zoom

Its really the fact that both the Hulk and the Hulk's fanboys think he's unbeatable even though that is clearly not the case.  I don't even mind delusional people as long as they aren't trying to cram their delusions down my throat.

"HULK IS STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!!!!!11!!!!1!"

No.  You aren't. Get a clue.

Plus I just don't think he has that much potential.  Maybe a miniseries (Planet Hulk for instance) or a guest appearance every once in awhile would be good.  He doesn't need a book that's run for 400 issues.

claws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By claws

even his profile says he is not unbeatable

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nahero

yeah even though he has that much power ive even seen him whoop thors butt but the only way to beat him is too somehow revert him back to banner thats the only way im thinking you can beat him cuz theres no way id suggest to anyone to try to out muscle him 

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By John Valentine
Nahero said:
"yeah even though he has that much power ive even seen him whoop thors butt but the only way to beat him is too somehow revert him back to banner thats the only way im thinking you can beat him cuz theres no way id suggest to anyone to try to out muscle him "

Write coherently.
Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zoom

lol

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nahero
John Valentine said:
"Nahero said:
"yeah even though he has that much power ive even seen him whoop thors butt but the only way to beat him is too somehow revert him back to banner thats the only way im thinking you can beat him cuz theres no way id suggest to anyone to try to out muscle him "

Write coherently."

does that mean you didn't understand a word i wrote or are you just pointing out that i missed a few lousy commas
HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#37  Edited By HaloKing343

The hulk can be great (Planet Hulk/WWHulk) but then (and in the case of the current stories) the Hulk can be totally awful. As of now, the stories just suck and aren't intersting. lt is that simple.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Zoom said:
"Its really the fact that both the Hulk and the Hulk's fanboys think he's unbeatable even though that is clearly not the case.  I don't even mind delusional people as long as they aren't trying to cram their delusions down my throat.

Plus I just don't think he has that much potential.  Maybe a miniseries (Planet Hulk for instance) or a guest appearance every once in awhile would be good.  He doesn't need a book that's run for 400 issues."
Would you like Hulk if it weren't for the fanboys?
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By danhimself
HaloKing343 said:
"The hulk can be great (Planet Hulk/WWHulk) but then (and in the case of the current stories) the Hulk can be totally awful. As of now, the stories just suck and aren't intersting. lt is that simple."

i think the biggest problem besides the fanboys is that they gave us this great book with planet hulk and then went back to the same old "hulk smash" crap
Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zoom
Vance Astro said:
"Zoom said:
"Its really the fact that both the Hulk and the Hulk's fanboys think he's unbeatable even though that is clearly not the case.  I don't even mind delusional people as long as they aren't trying to cram their delusions down my throat.

Plus I just don't think he has that much potential.  Maybe a miniseries (Planet Hulk for instance) or a guest appearance every once in awhile would be good.  He doesn't need a book that's run for 400 issues."
"
I would like Hulk if it weren't for the fanboys and overexposure.

If we got him in about the same dosage that we get Morbius or Werewolf by Night, I'd like him.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Zoom said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Zoom said:

"
I would like Hulk if it weren't for the fanboys and overexposure.

If we got him in about the same dosage that we get Morbius or Werewolf by Night, I'd like him.
"
Well I guess you will never like Hulk lol.
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By John Valentine
Nahero said:
"John Valentine said:
"Nahero said:

Write coherently."

does that mean you didn't understand a word i wrote or are you just pointing out that i missed a few lousy commas
"
It means your syntax is about on the same level as that of a dumb five year old.
Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Chaos Prime

Regardless of wot is written on any forum about the Hulk i will always be a big fan.
HULK SMASH!!

No Caption Provided

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By John Valentine
Chaos Prime said:
"Regardless of wot is written on any forum about the Hulki will always be a big fan.
HULK SMASH!!

No Caption Provided

"

That's why.
Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chaos Prime
John Valentine said:
"Chaos Prime said:
"Regardless of wot is written on any forum about the Hulki will always be a big fan.
HULK SMASH!!

No Caption Provided

"

That's why."
& your point is?
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Methos

i have absolutely no problem with Hulk as a character... aside from his origin story making no sense lol

but aside from that, the only problem i have is with Hulk Fanboys, but to be fair, i have the same problem with ALL fanboys regardless of character...

Hulk just seems to attract the complete moronic version of fanboys that just believe Hulk can take down everyone and everything with one hand tied behind his back....

M

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By _Sojourn_

Because Hulk is obviously overpowered. WIth really no reason. Super Strenght is over RATED

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Slight said:
"Because Hulk is obviously overpowered. WIth really no reason. Super Strenght is over RATED"
How is he overpowered when I can name over 100 people who can beat him?
claws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By claws

i could name a lot of ppl who can beat hulk

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers