Hercules in Hulk Agents of Smash

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I didn't see a post on it, but Hercules guest starred on an episode of the animated Hulk: Agents of SMASH fittingly titled "The Tale of Hercules." The series itself has very mixed reviews so I thought I would throw in my two cents of Herc's appearance. The episode features Hulk and Hercules teaming up to stop Pluto from turning everyone on Earth to stone.

The Good:

1. Publicity - Some say any publicity is good publicity and in this case this is correct. We get a basic introduction to Hercules and his corner of the universe. They got his personality mostly correct, at least the Herc from the older comics and we learn he is super-strong an a major cultural figure and has been for thousands of years. Not bad for bringing him out of nowhere.

2. They explained his ego. - To say Hercules has a massive ego in this episode is an understatement, but they at least bothered to explained where it came from. Virtually anyone would be arrogant if they had been worshipped for thousands of years and were one of the greatest heroes to have ever lived.

3. He is the national hero of Greece - This is one idea I really liked and wouldn't mind if it was developed more in the comics. Hercules is explained as staying away from the Avengers and other heroes because he spends most of his time protecting Greece.

The Bad

1. The Voice - I have seen the episode several times and the voice just doesn't work for me. It sounds too high pitched or something. Minor, but a strike against it.

2. He is a Greek Thor. - There is little in the episode to set him apart from the Avengers Assemble Thor except a bigger ego. He is even revered to as a Greek Thor in the episode. Both are super-strong gods who love battle and smash things. Olympus is visually less interesting than Asgard and Hercules own ego quickly grates on the nerves of anyone around him. If Hercules were to appear in Avengers Assembly hopefully they would do something to make him more distinct from Thor. This of course is contrary to the comics where Thor is usually the more serious, less battle hungry one who acts as a foil for Hercules.

3. Hulk has to show Hercules what a "true hero" is like. - This is the part that really got to me and what killed this episode for me. Maybe I am overreacting, but when taken both on its own and with Thor's animated appearances over the past ten years or so it gets annoying. Usually, when a character guest stars or has an episode that centers around them they prove why they are a great hero or at least have a decent showing. Nearly anytime gods are featured, it is to show how incompetent they are and how much better humans are compared to them. It makes one wonder how they survived so long before the Avengers showed up.

In this episode, Hercules is so arrogant that he cannot take anything seriously. It is only after he screw's up big time and Hulk tells him how to be a true hero that he gets his act together. Yes, throughout the episode he is depicted as a skilled, incredibly strong fighter, but that level of buffoonish arrogance has always bothered me. And as far as I can recall it only really occurs when gods are involved.

Anyone else have thoughts on the episode?

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

i too have seen this episode and agree pretty much with everything you have said.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Do they arm wrestle or anything?

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Do they arm wrestle or anything?

No, which might be a good thing considering it was the Hulk's show and how gods have been treated in Marvel. All we know is Hercules is generally in the same league as some of the Hulks. His only real episode strength feet was causing a small earth quake by stamping his foot on the ground and causing some rocks to sprout up.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

At least Hercules looked like he should in this series instead of looking like some half-assed commando with a gun and a bunch of pouches.

HankScorpio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh joy the Disney XD shows continue to ruin the characters.