Why wouldn't Hawkeye use a compound?

Avatar image for deactivated-6318083af35cc
deactivated-6318083af35cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean he says a compound is cheating, for god sake thor, iron man, spider-man, wolverine, etc.. those are your team-mates and a freaking compound is cheating.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@therrieur said:

I mean he says a compound is cheating, for god sake thor, iron man, spider-man, wolverine, etc.. those are your team-mates and a freaking compound is cheating.

What is a compound?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@therrieur said:

What is a compound?

Oh, you mean a compound bow?

Maybe it's like when the crossbow was invented, and some countries wouldn't use them as they considered it to be cheating, as opposed to the traditional longbow.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By gotwillpower

Doesn't he use a compound bow now? I don't know anything about bows, but he no longer uses the wooden one, so...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the ones who don't know a compound bow has cams at each sides (they look like big metal circles) and those bows are more powerful, he could get twice the arrowspeed and accuracy.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CrimsonCake

Must be a pride thing.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Blood1991

@CrimsonCake said:

Must be a pride thing.

More or less this. Besides it doesn't really serve any purpose for him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To impress the ladies, its the sole reason he does anything so I'm just going to assume this.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DH69

@Brazen_Intellect said:

To impress the ladies, its the sole reason he does anything so I'm just going to assume this.

sadly this sounds like the most truthful description to his character, plus a simple recurve bow is easy to draw, a compound bow is a b****...anyone else keep typing box instead of bow or is it just me?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blood1991

@DH69 said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

sadly this sounds like the most truthful description to his character, plus a simple recurve bow is easy to draw, a compound bow is a b****...anyone else keep typing box instead of bow or is it just me?

Just you XD, but I honestly despise compounds. I much prefer my Longbow.

Omegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@blood1991: Absolutely agree.

I can't believe I have not seen this thread before. Oh for those who Bow hunt a compound bow is great (but still cheating) for hunting as you get to take to weight off the Pull back (thanks to the Cams). I learned to use a short and long bow because of Hawkeye as a kid. I have used compound bows a few times and it is cheating as the cams take the weight off the pull back. Hawkeye uses a long bow to help keep his strength tip top, look who he has to keep up with as a hero. When you pull back on a long or short bow that weight is always there . So if you have a 200 pound draw back on a long bow you would have to pull back 200pounds and hold 200 pounds with your fingers then make an accurate shot and with multiple arrows to boot. I can and this is barely shoot with a 70lbs draw on a long bow (It is really hard, I shoot ok but I can't hold for a more than 5 seconds.) Clint draws back with a long bow 250lbs that is pulling and holding and shooting with pinpoint accuracy and sometime multiple arrows. So @dh69: by all means if you think a recurve bow is easier to use then a compound bow prove me wrong by shoot out. Clint is the man and has every right to be that way.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegus: i meant draw as in illustrate.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Because he hangs with people like Hulk and Thor. He doesn't want to look like a &^*&^*&^ by using a compound.

Or the fact it's Stark Design and is much higher tech then a normal bow despite not looking so.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#14 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

besides what @Omegus said, it probably has a lot to due with complexity as well. a lot more can go wrong with a compound in battle, as well as being more difficult to repair quickly.

Omegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Omegus

@jloneblackheart: Absolutly if the cams bust, then he is screwed in ranged combat way more moving parts over a long bow and short bow.

@dh69 said:

Sorry man I thought you meant "Draw" as in draw back to string. But as I explained to impress the ladies is not what he is going for. The ladies love him because he is Steve "freakin" Mcqueen rolled into a B.A package called Clint Barton.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@omegus said:

@jloneblackheart: Absolutly if the cams bust, then he is screwed in ranged combat way more moving parts over a long bow and short bow.

@dh69 said:

Sorry man I thought you meant "Draw" as in draw back to string. But as I explained to impress the ladies is not what he is going for. The ladies love him because he is Steve "freakin" Mcqueen rolled into a B.A package called Clint Barton.

lol nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegus: @blood1991:

I just rewatched the thor movie and did any of you guys noticed that at some point hawkeye doesn't even have his arrow on his rest, was just wondering?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blood1991: Well since it's in the thor's movie it's in the only scene hawkeye appears in, when thor tries to lift the hammer and fails for the first time

No Caption Provided

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blood1991

@blood1991: Well since it's in the thor's movie it's in the only scene hawkeye appears in, when thor tries to lift the hammer and fails for the first time

No Caption Provided

Huh never noticed that. Guess they thought nobody would notice because of dark lighting.

Omegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@therrieur: turns out he does use one on occasion.

No Caption Provided

Omegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler that's writers and artist now not paying attention to detail with hawkeye. Which is somewhat understandable in team comics.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegus said:

@oldnightcrawler that's writers and artist now not paying attention to detail with hawkeye. Which is somewhat understandable in team comics.

Hawkeye can range from super superhero-y to fairly realistic style stories, and the style of art should change with the story.

Omegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler He only started using a compound bow when he was first introduced in the Ultimates series. using a long bow was always hit trait to help make him stand out. But i agree I dont like seeing him go from 0 to 60 each issue with that type of bow he has in each issue.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegus said:

@oldnightcrawler He only started using a compound bow when he was first introduced in the Ultimates series. using a long bow was always hit trait to help make him stand out. But i agree I dont like seeing him go from 0 to 60 each issue with that type of bow he has in each issue.

yeah. But didn't Ultimate Hawkeye use all kinds of weapons anyway? I swear I've seen him use everything from a bazooka to his own fingernails.. which I guess does make his use of a bow at all seem that much more of a style/attitude thing..

Vitaeleous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This thread looks long defunct, but I'll toss a thought in anyway. I've been shooting for about 13 years now, compound and traditional (recurve/longbow - Hawkeye uses a recurve). They have very different action, that is, the string behaves is a very different way as you draw it due to the mechanics of the bow's limbs. A recurve gives you smooth action with increasing weight back to your anchor point, while a compound's action is stiff and mechanical with an abrupt let-off that lets the archer anchor and hold for minutes at a time while they line up their pins. This is another difference, not an absolute, but generally true: compounds tend to be fitted with an array fiber optic pins for aiming, with traditional archers opt for "instinctive" or "natural" shooting with no sights (the big exception is Olympic competition, which features recurves fitted with sights, stabilizers, etc., hence the sense it makes for Hawkeye to be referred to as an olympian in the Avengers film, and us a recurve with sights).

What this all comes down to, I think, is that Hawkeye favours a bow over, say, a gun. Why? Tradition, training, image, who knows? Maybe all of the above; it's all written into canon somewhere. But the recurve vs. compound answer is pretty simple; to use guns as a reference point, one is a pistol, the other's a sniper rifle. A compound is useless is close-quarters, reflexive shooting but perfect for taking a perch and lining shot after shot of supportive fire at range. The quick, smooth action of a recurve is good for most of the kind of shots we see in Avengers, but because of the way draw weight stacks it just isn't practical for the kind of time you need to hold and aim if you're sniping.

MonkeyStarship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have seen hawkeye use a compound before. But he does mostly use a recurve or a longbow I'd say this is because it takes much more skill to use and you can shoot a lot quicker with a traditional bow then with a compound. I own all 3 types of bows and I'm way faster with my recurve or longbow than with my compound.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#31  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@dh69: Hawkeye strives to be the best marksman he can because he belives that's the one true way that he can continue to deserve his spot on the Avengers and you can't be the best if you cheat. How does that o e work?