Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

We're about to look at the Green Lantern Corps from a new perspective. What do you do with two characters that haven't had a chance to truly shine on their own and don't have a lot of experience as Green Lanterns? You put them together in the same book. Simon Baz was an intriguing new Green Lantern that never really had the chance to come into his own. Jessica Cruz had problems she was dealing with before getting sucked into the superhero world. With the upcoming Green Lanterns series, we'll see how these two take to being full fledged Green Lanterns.

Geoff Johns and Sam Humphries kick things off with a new twist. You wouldn't think there could be anything new involving Guardians or power rings, but we get a nice set up for a new mystery. It's almost as surprising to get to see what Simon is up to. Having been left pretty much on his own, he's gained some confidence in his role. This will lead into some tension when he meets Jessica Cruz. There's only supposed to be one Lantern per sector, and now we're seeing quite a few originating from Earth.

What does it mean that Jessica was just given a ring? Where will their place be among the other Lanterns? These are just some of the questions we see presented here. It's a nice beginning for a new series. Despite the various Green Lantern books we've seen over the years, this one already has a different feel to it. I love the fact that these two will be forced to work together. How exactly are they being forced? You'll have to see for yourself.

This issue has some fantastic visuals. The Green Lantern books have to have great art and colors. Ethan Van Sciver on a GL Rebirth issue seems like a given. Getting to see Ed Benes' art is welcomed since he's drawn so many different DC books. Jason Wright's colors give the issue the look it needs to feel like a Lantern book.

The book is obviously a set up for the series. This has to be a way for new readers to understand what the series will be about and where the characters are coming from. There is a lot to read, but that's not really much to complain about.

Green Lanterns has the potential to be the crazy sci-fi buddy cop superhero book you never knew you wanted. Geoff Johns and Sam Humphries set the stage for what is likely to be a fun and action packed series. Ethan Van Sciver and Ed Benes deliver art worthy of a big Green Lantern story and Jason Wright's colors are top notch. The issue gets a little wordy as it has to bring new readers up to date while also establishing the new direction for these characters. Looks like we have yet another Rebirth title to look forward to.

#1 Posted by IAmNotGroot (108 posts) - - Show Bio

Was waiting for the reviews before buying on Comixology. Guess I'll start downloading this issue.

#2 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

My first ever Green Lantern title and I loved it. My fav of the three Rebirth issues I got (Green Arrow was also great, Batman was bleh).

#3 Posted by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

There's only supposed to be one Lantern per sector...
I thought there supposed to be two, no?
"It is required that each sector have at least two Lanterns, but it can have more depending on the population of that sector."
Oh, at least two.

#4 Posted by apokos7 (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Really nice issue. Re-introduces the protagonists in case you aren't familiar with them without being tiring, sets up the next expansion of the Lantern mythology.

#5 Posted by mysoulz (870 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue is wack. Horrible characters, horrible costume and horrible setup. Jessica Cruz worked better off as Power Ring, which makes her more unique and better than other characters. Simon Baz's character is much worse in this issue. The Guy Gardner mention is ridiculous and shows it's out of character. The bickering seems forced. This issue is slow and has no real proper setup. I don't even care much for the art work being presented here, other than Ethan Van Sciver's art. Since Geoff Johns was co-writing, this issue should've been a much better book.

#6 Posted by John-PH (362 posts) - - Show Bio

Enjoyed this issue a bunch. Its nice that I will only have to wait 2 weeks for it

#7 Edited by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear: You're right, it's two per sector.

#8 Edited by Kid_jakeriv (410 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it. I'm not really a cosmic superhero lover, but I'm trying to get into them. Also Simon Baz, and Jessica Cruz are my favorite Lanterns, so I'll definitely keep getting this.

#9 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear: @the_stegman: yes! I was thinking too far back. But now there's so many! Not that I'm complaining.

#10 Edited by UltimatePower6 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly this was the best Rebirth issue this week. Blew everything out of the water!

For me I'd rank them as

Green Lanterns: 5/5 (That look on Simon's face when Hal tells him who'll train him, priceless!)

Superman: 4/5 (Thought the exposition was choppy at times, but for me as a newbie to Sups I felt it touching)

Batman: 3/5 (I liked it, but had no idea what to make of it)

Green Arrow (my comic store was sold out when I got there....)

#11 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue! Looking forward to Jessica Cruz development . Awesome final page , love me some reds.

#12 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Hadn't read a Green Lantern book in years. I've always liked Simon Baz and I'm glad to see him finally get to co-star in a series. While I thought this was ok, I don't see me picking up the next issue.

#13 Edited by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear said:

"It is required that each sector have at least two Lanterns, but it can have more depending on the population of that sector."

Oh, at least two.

Oan Racial Quotas, they have Hal and John, but after adding in two more white guys they needed more balance.

Just ignore that every other sector has only one lantern.

#14 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed this issue. I thought it did a good job setting up why Simon and Jessica will be working together. I also liked how they touched upon Jessica's anxiety issues. I just hope Humphries does his homework on the characters because the Guy Gardner comment by Simon is extremely out of character. Also, hopefully Bleez isn't depicted as a mindless lackey for Atrocitus.

#15 Posted by Maddpanda531 (1635 posts) - - Show Bio

I was really worried going into this, as Humphries can be extremely hit or miss for me (usually miss), but I really loved how this issue turned out! I think Johns and Humphries did a great job setting up Simon and Jessica and I'm really looking forward to reading their adventures together. Also, it was so great seeing Ethan Van Sciver's beautiful artwork back on GL, hopefully he sticks around for a long time

#16 Edited by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

@gmanfromheck said:

@rubear: @the_stegman: yes! I was thinking too far back. But now there's so many! Not that I'm complaining.

Really? Hal Jordan is/was/presumely will be leader of Corps. Kyle Rayner is now some kind of Omega Lantern and not Green Lanern. Guy Gardner and John Stewart are kinda honor guard of Corps.

They're above general structure. That means that Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz filled free vacations.

@doc-holiday said:
@rubear said:

Oh, at least two.

Oan Racial Quotas, they have Hal and John, but after adding in two more white guys they needed more balance.

Yes, i'd ignore it, because it's BS indicating that you know in fact nothing about Green Lanern Corps. They're working in pairs. Two for sector. For example Mogo (Green Lantern of Space Sector 2261) had Bzzd (Honored Fallen Lantern of Space Sector 2261) for partner. Soranik Natu was Green Lantern of Space Sector 1417 together with Iolande. And etc.

#17 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear said:
@gmanfromheck said:

Really? Hal Jordan is/was/presumely will be leader of Corps. Kyle Rayner is now some kind of Omega Lantern and not Green Lanern. Guy Gardner and John Stewart are kinda honor guard of Corps.

They're above general structure. That means that Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz filled free vacations.

@doc-holiday said:
@rubear said:

Oh, at least two.

Yes, i'd ignore it, because it's BS indicating that you know in fact nothing about Green Lanern Corps. They're working in pairs. Two for sector. For example Mogo (Green Lantern of Space Sector 2261) had Bzzd (Honored Fallen Lantern of Space Sector 2261) for partner. Soranik Natu was Green Lantern of Space Sector 1417 together with Iolande. And etc.

Cool, so explain Hal Jordan, Guy Gardener, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner and now the pandering Muslim Green Lantern and The Girl Lantern.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/misterz173/lists/green-lanterns-of-earth/19042/

And what's up with the long list of other lanterns for Earth? Some who basically were just throw-aways.

Also, why does Earth even need one? They have thousands of super powered beings, many of whom have powers just like Green Lantern or are more powerful than any green lantern.

Loading Video...

And honestly, I don't care, it's lazy pandering to critics.

It's not even about growing the audience.

Loading Video...

Razorfist phrases it better though :)

#18 Posted by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: I already explained first part above) About second part. Green Lantern is responsible for whole sector, but Earth is both kinda beacon for problems and important world. White Entity of Life is sleeping on Earth (see Blackest Night and Brightest Day), and pre-Flashpoint Earth was axis of new multiverse (see Sinestro Corps War). Because of extremely high population of "supers" people of Earth has bigger chances to get in some Corps. The Force is strong in this ones. (C)

#19 Edited by mysoulz (870 posts) - - Show Bio
@rubear said:
@gmanfromheck said:

Robert Venditti already confirmed that John Stewart is going to be the leader of the Corps, since that was his main intention when he first took over the title after Geoff Johns' departure. All of this explains why John declined the leadership offer from the templar Guardians. And seemed to be presumably the leader of the Corps after Hal went renegade when the DCYOU campaign started.

And the concerns about the Green Lanterns per sector, it's already being speculated in the storyline that there's a major possible threat, which is why Earth needs more additional GL's. Could be why Simon and Jessica got the ring, which John and Hal didn't know how she was able to get the ring for that sector after the events of Darkseid War.

#20 Edited by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: Going through all the rebirth issues, I get that you dislike DC & Marvel pandering. But DC isn't even pandering that much, especially not compared to Marvel. Hal, John & Guy were added a long time ago, Kyle was added only after guy was no longer a lanter, and Hal was parallex. So they got cut back to 2, and as much as I do dislike having so many lanters, back in the day we had Alan Scott & his daughter, so a female lantern is nothing new, now Simon Baz is nothing like Alan, since he's a regular lantern, but hte fact that he is not white is not pandering, he's not even just "Arabic" he's Lebanese, and Johns himself is half Lebanese, he even said in an interview that, that's the reason he wrote Simon as an "Arabian" as you'd say.

Also every sector does have only 2 lanters, Hal, John & Guy are honorary lanterns, they stay in OA ( I believe Hal is still their leader with John being his right hand man ) and Kyle is a White Lantern now.

P.S. The human lanterns aren't earths lanterns, they protect the entire sector, we even get to see other inhabited planets in red lanterns new 52 title, being protected by Guy, it's just that the writers don't seem to focus on them much.

#21 Posted by derf_jenkins (757 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty good. I'll check out the next issue

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear said:

Oh, at least two.

So is every non white male just pandering to you? Also Kyle isn't white.

#23 Posted by Lunarstorm (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is doing even worse than DC in this area. They made Thor a female lol. That was a real slap on Norse mythology. Cant wait for the up rival when they make Batman undergo a sex change operation.

#24 Edited by errik012 (2 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by alsummers (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatepower6: I agree in that this is one of the few moments where I vastly disagree with the reviews on this site. Batman one to me was the weakest (not bad by any stretch of the imagination, just didn't pack as much punch as the others). This one was my favorite of the titles. I just hope Humphries doesn't screw it up as it goes on.

Superman Rebirth was incredibly satisfying.

#26 Posted by Synack1138 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

average at best. This book never clicked with me. All setup very little action. I thought the reveal of Hal as the Manhunter Was predictable.

#27 Posted by Lunarstorm (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@errik012: Do you have problem or something? A nobody telling someone else to grow up. Get lost.

#28 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday said:
@rubear said:

Oh, at least two.

So is every non white male just pandering to you? Also Kyle isn't white.

In about the past 3 to 4 years, yes. They aren't coming from places of creativity. The writing, the character choices and designs, they've all gone down hill.

Heck, even changes to white males have been pandering, like making Iceman gay, since they openly contradict themselves in the same comic, on the same page "but you're straight in the future".

#29 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear said:

@doc-holiday: I already explained first part above) About second part. Green Lantern is responsible for whole sector, but Earth is both kinda beacon for problems and important world. White Entity of Life is sleeping on Earth (see Blackest Night and Brightest Day), and pre-Flashpoint Earth was axis of new multiverse (see Sinestro Corps War). Because of extremely high population of "supers" people of Earth has bigger chances to get in some Corps. The Force is strong in this ones. (C)

Yeah, whole sector but how much happens that isn't on Earth? Not a lot in 2814, most of it seems to be in other sectors or on Oa.

I've read everything from pre-Sinestro Corps up until just after Flashpoint and leading slightly into the new 52 (that's about when I jumped ship, I check back every now and then to see how things are, the universes of DC and Marvel are still on fire, I'll wait until they burn down and rebuild).

#30 Posted by JamesSpiring (996 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is doing even worse than DC in this area. They made Thor a female lol. That was a real slap on Norse mythology. Cant wait for the up rival when they make Batman undergo a sex change operation.

They made Loki a female as well at one point (during Original Sin). At least female Thor is a different character - and therefore NOT messing with the mythology.

#31 Edited by JamesSpiring (996 posts) - - Show Bio
@ultimatepower6 said:

Honestly this was the best Rebirth issue this week. Blew everything out of the water!

For me I'd rank them as

Green Lanterns: 5/5 (That look on Simon's face when Hal tells him who'll train him, priceless!)

Superman: 4/5 (Thought the exposition was choppy at times, but for me as a newbie to Sups I felt it touching)

Batman: 3/5 (I liked it, but had no idea what to make of it)

Green Arrow (my comic store was sold out when I got there....)

I can't say I'm surprised about Green Arrow. It sold more than treble what the final N52 issues did. Your LCS almost certainly grossly underestimated the demand. It'll be reprinted for sure.

#32 Edited by Big_D_Dummy (3 posts) - - Show Bio

The Green Lantern is a major part of the DCU that I never really got a chance to read. Never did find an appropriate place to jump in. I am glad to hear that this is accessible to new GL readers! I'll be sure to check this out.

#33 Posted by Lunarstorm (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesSpiring: They are with norse mythology to satisfy the lesbian trans community since they've been asking for a female thor for ages now. Thor is a god of norse mythology it's not a gender issue it has nothing to do with female and male gender. Thor is the gods name who is a man. But marvel had the transcription on the hammer altered to give it a pass. Superman also had a gender change in one issue to learn how females are treated back in the 50's. But this is different.