Your character in Civil War

This topic is locked from further discussion.

morte_rapida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By morte_rapida

If your character was involved in the civil war, who's side would he/she have been on, and what would your strategy have been.

ChrisAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ChrisAngel

Strongly anti-registration. Felling of the opinion why should I have to register myself to simply do good and help people? I was born with the power I have, I choose to use it to help instead of hurt. It isn't MY fault Nitro killed so many people. Should I have ti be treated as a piece of property to be regulated and put down, because I don't hold to the status quo?

My strategy? Likely trying to find some information that shows the SHRA to be largely ineffective. Because when you look at it, it truly is. There's always going to be heroes, who are going to step up and stay the course and serve the cause. It makes no sense to prevent us from doing what we feel to be our jobs, simply because you - the government - see us as a threat to the whole. It's only going to embitter us... and the more you make us out to be criminals for our stance.. the more of us might TRULY become so.

morte_rapida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By morte_rapida

I agree,

I would be anti as well. I believe that no government should have a say so over a hero protecting the innocents. To me personally, I believe the Registration Act to be a power trip. They should have had some kind of mentor or monitoring program for the younger inexperienced up and coming heroes. This monitoring program should be run by other heroes as well. You cannot trust anyone you do not know with your identity, because if you do, anything that happens to your loved ones is on you!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I would have been on the Thunderbolts. My character would have been locked away somewhere for past deeds when the Civil War broke out. As part of an early release or reduced sentence I would have been given the opportunity to join the Thunderbolts and track down Un-Registered heroes.

My strategy would have been simple. Go where SHIELD (or Norman Osbourn) sent me.

Avatar image for midnight_lantern
Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Gambler says:

"I would have been on the Thunderbolts. My character would have been locked away somewhere for past deeds when the Civil War broke out. As part of an early release or reduced sentence I would have been given the opportunity to join the Thunderbolts and track down Un-Registered heroes. My strategy would have been simple. Go where SHIELD (or Norman Osbourn) sent me."

Same.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vrakmul

Me? All of them would be against registration. Especially my latest character. Well, the goverment wouldn't be able to force Cthulhu to do squat in the first place.

Strategy, blow the crap out of the white house. Bel? Fire balls. Orcus? Smite. Demogorgon? Smite. Kyuss? Worm smite.

No matter what character I use, they would be all against Registration.

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Avantar

For registration. Like the arguments for the right to bear arms in the United States guaranteed in the second amendment, superpowers can be a very dangerous thing to go unchecked. Although their are some who say they are using their powers only for good purposes, can you guarantee that there will never be personal injury or property damage as a result of you using your powers? Who then is responsible? I would argue that if my car was legally parked on a street and a super-powered being tried to apprehend another in the act of committing a robbery and my car was damaged as a result of said battle...then the hero? was at fault for not being a law-enforcement officer. What if myself and my child were in the car and it resulted in death? Is the villian responsible? Who trains the heroes to make the decision on went to confront and when not too? Registration and the formation of teams can help through training and assigning different members of the team to enact specific battle plans to minimize damage ond injury. Otherwise its just random acts of violence that perpetrated by vigilantes without true regard for person or property and instead just feeds the ego that they have accomplish something good by capturing the villian.
Post Edited:2008-03-18 12:21:03

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vrakmul

Avantar says:

"For registration. Like the arguments for the right to bear arms in the United States guaranteed in the second amendment, superpowers can be a very dangerous thing to go unchecked. Although their are some who say they are using their powers only for good purposes, can you guarantee that there will never be personal injury or property damage as a result of you using your powers? Who then is responsible? I would argue that if my car was legally parked on a street and a super-powered being tried to apprehend another in the act of committing a robbery and my car was damaged as a result of said battle...then the hero? was at fault for not being a law-enforcement officer. What if myself and my child were in the car and it resulted in death? Is the villian responsible? Who trains the heroes to make the decision on went to confront and when not too? Registration and the formation of teams can help through training and assigning different members of the team to enact specific battle plans to minimize damage ond injury. Otherwise its just random acts of violence that perpetrated by vigilantes without true regard for person or property and instead just feeds the ego that they have accomplish something good by capturing the villian.
Post Edited:2008-03-18 12:21:03"

Well then what will you do to stop beings with God level powers against registration? Or super heroes against it in general.

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Avantar

Stop them using the heroes who are, just like the police will try to stop someone say from killing a man convicted or accused of raping his daughter or any other act of vigilantism. Is it ok for you to say if you know who robbed a convience store to go put a gun to his head, tie him up and call for the police then leave the scene and expect him to be found guilty without proof or witness if only you could identify him? Do you have the right to execute a know serial killer without going through the legal system? Where does the superhero get his authority to meet out justice under his own terms and what happens if he makes a mistake?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Avantar says:

"For registration. Like the arguments for the right to bear arms in the United States guaranteed in the second amendment, superpowers can be a very dangerous thing to go unchecked. Although their are some who say they are using their powers only for good purposes, can you guarantee that there will never be personal injury or property damage as a result of you using your powers? Who then is responsible? I would argue that if my car was legally parked on a street and a super-powered being tried to apprehend another in the act of committing a robbery and my car was damaged as a result of said battle...then the hero? was at fault for not being a law-enforcement officer. What if myself and my child were in the car and it resulted in death? Is the villian responsible? Who trains the heroes to make the decision on went to confront and when not too? Registration and the formation of teams can help through training and assigning different members of the team to enact specific battle plans to minimize damage ond injury. Otherwise its just random acts of violence that perpetrated by vigilantes without true regard for person or property and instead just feeds the ego that they have accomplish something good by capturing the villian.
Post Edited:2008-03-18 12:21:03"

Except the Registration didn't do that. Sending heroes to another dimension (The Negative Zone) without trial or representation is a violation of the Constitution. Farming out villains (villains who have murdered, robbed, and attempted World Domination) to apprehend said heroes by any means necessary was a criminal act in itself. Since when was property damage punishable by exile?

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Avantar

Who is to say that they will not eventually get a trial? In the mean time they are being held ina manner that will not jeopardize the safety of the people of the United States. How many of the heroes/villians stoppped and allowed themselves to be arrested and take their chances in the justice system to protect their rights? How many hired lawyers to represent their rights and stopped using their abilities to help go unnoticed until such time that the legal system could be challenged? How many simply left the country to a place that would accept them as they were? They had options and choose to break the law. Now that some are in the negative zone...appoint lawyers for them if the cannot afford one and begin the trials.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Avantar says:

" Who is to say that they will not eventually get a trial? In the mean time they are being held ina manner that will not jeopardize the safety of the people of the United States. How many of the heroes/villians stoppped and allowed themselves to be arrested and take their chances in the justice system to protect their rights? How many hired lawyers to represent their rights and stopped using their abilities to help go unnoticed until such time that the legal system could be challenged? How many simply left the country to a place that would accept them as they were? They had options and choose to break the law. Now that some are in the negative zone...appoint lawyers for them if the cannot afford one and begin the trials."

I think your unaware of how the legal system works. You don't get representation ONLY if you surrendered. Everyone is entitled to a quick and speedy trail. Not when ever SHIELD or Iron Man deem it so. They built that prison in the Negative Zone, your telling me they couldn't have built it in there own dimension? There's no justifying circumventing the legal system. Your talking about changing the law, I'm talking about there Constitutional Rights. It wasn't just heroes with powers, it was anybody in a mask, anybody fighting crime. Your telling me Jack Flag stopping a woman from being raped while wearing a mask, makes him more of a threat then Venom? Or Bullseye? They beat him after he was already in custody, who was watching these villains turned bounty hunters?

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avantar

Who watches the police during moments of police brutality? Use only the force necessary to subdue and lethal force is a last option. Using villians is a bad idea, I will give you credit for that given their predisposition on violent acts and yes it is possible for Jack Flag to be a danger. What if he was unsuccessful? What if the rape victim was then murder as well as himself? What if she was taken hostage? These are all issues the regular police force have to face. So who trained Jack Flag? Can he call for back-up? Can he relay information to other heroes in case the criminal escapes? If he does get away, does Jack file a police report and help put out an all-points bulletin for him or does he just let him go and get the rape victim to a hospital?

If the United States government built a prison in the negative zone, it could by law be considered American soil just like our embassies and military bases? The argument can be made that they are being held on American soil.

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Avantar

Another veiwpoint may be that since it involves SHIELD (Supreme Headquarters for International Espionage,Law Enforcement Division) is actually a branch of the military of the U.S. Government and by being in violation of the law, the respective law-breakers can be declared enemy combatants and held indefinately. (Hint this is the danger of the Patriot Act). I will not concede that the system is perfect, but how else would you purpose to protect the ordinary citizens from the fallout of such villians and heroes displaying their abilities and putting everyone in danger?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Static Shock

If Static was in the Civil War, he'd probably be Anti-Reg. As for a strategy, he wouldn't have one. He would just follow Captain America's lead like everyone else.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell

The Police aren't entirely bad up of former killers and villains. You cant compare the Thuderbolts to the Police Dept. All your what ifs can also be applied to SHIELD or the Police. What if Jack Flag called the cops instead of stopping the criminals himself. Would they have gotten there before she was raped? Doubtful. Would they have gotten there before she was taken hostage? Doubtful. You ask who trained Jack Flag, Captain America did. Thats training your not going to find in SHIELD or your local Cop Shop.

Where any of these heroes read there rights? No, why? Cause they didn't have any. SHIELD and Iron Man took the Constitution and threw it out the window. I've never seen the Negative Zone referred to as United States property and or U.S. soil. But even if it was, sending heroes there without a chance to make there one phone call, talk to a lawyer, or even enter a plea is thee equivalent of sending someone who broke the law (regardless of the crime) straight to prison. The fact that they kept it secretly should tell you it wasn't above board.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Avantar says:

"Another veiwpoint may be that since it involves SHIELD (Supreme Headquarters for International Espionage,Law Enforcement Division) is actually a branch of the military of the U.S. Government and by being in violation of the law, the respective law-breakers can be declared enemy combatants and held indefinately. (Hint this is the danger of the Patriot Act). I will not concede that the system is perfect, but how else would you purpose to protect the ordinary citizens from the fallout of such villians and heroes displaying their abilities and putting everyone in danger?"

I believe that a Registration Act would be in the best interest of all parties involved. Its the way the current one is and was set up and executed that I have a problem with.

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Avantar

As for a violation of the Constitution, thats where the Patriot Act comes in. The Registration act is similar in that those Constitutional rights will have been suspended in favor of security. NO lawyers, no phone calls, held indefinately on charges... that part is the danger of the registration act for sure. Of course, we could write a tremendous number of laws forbiding the use of all the extra-ordinary powers. And for Jack Flag, he was trained by Captain America.. but not as a law officer. Vigilantism is still outlawed in many places so even without powers he could be arrested and tried anyway.

morte_rapida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By morte_rapida

Avantar says:

"As for a violation of the Constitution, thats where the Patriot Act comes in. The Registration act is similar in that those Constitutional rights will have been suspended in favor of security. NO lawyers, no phone calls, held indefinately on charges... that part is the danger of the registration act for sure. Of course, we could write a tremendous number of laws forbiding the use of all the extra-ordinary powers. And for Jack Flag, he was trained by Captain America.. but not as a law officer. Vigilantism is still outlawed in many places so even without powers he could be arrested and tried anyway."

Nicely written.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By warlock360

anti-registration

Switch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Switch

Not involved, Id be like the xmen and sit it out.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vrakmul

I can't tell you how many souls Of police men Cthulhu would suck through his eldritch tentacles. if it was me Registration is bull. To become a part of the Government is to become subject to it's great corruption. And so what if they give you a salary, it's probably going to be like army and police men salary, dirt.

Do you really expect them to give you FBI and CIA like salary? America could not afford that many people, especially if it was on a per villain caught basis. The pay is simply not going to be worth it. The loot gained from defeating a Master mind is much more money than the government would pay you in a year. And you would have to deal with so much red tape and because your identity is public, Oh I don't know, Villains would kill your family. Not worth the risk.

And every God level person would protest, and poof, good bye America.

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Avantar

When it comes to being a hero, then being part of the government can be a great boon. After all supehero teams were formed to try and stop those threats that might be too great for a single hero to accomplish themselves ( lets skip the part where heroes these days are so pardon the slight Dreadnaught..GOD AWEFULLY POWERFUL..) The benefits to the heroes with additional resources, training, and focus of missions could help make responding to threats more surgical.

As for corruption, I think you will likely see that within the super-powered people as well. Some of them you know only registered to keep from being put in prison and will probably try and work from the inside anyway.

The greatest thing about the Civil War story line is to bring a sense of reality to the What If? superpowers were real.

The effects on normal society..etc...

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Avantar

Telemarketers..lmao.... good thing I "registered" with the DO_NOT_CALL list...lol

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vrakmul

Oh and you would be bombarded by telemarketers and won't be able to blast them into oblivion.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vrakmul

Avantar says:

" When it comes to being a hero, then being part of the government can be a great boon. After all supehero teams were formed to try and stop those threats that might be too great for a single hero to accomplish themselves ( lets skip the part where heroes these days are so pardon the slight Dreadnaught..GOD AWEFULLY POWERFUL..) The benefits to the heroes with additional resources, training, and focus of missions could help make responding to threats more surgical.As for corruption, I think you will likely see that within the super-powered people as well. Some of them you know only registered to keep from being put in prison and will probably try and work from the inside anyway.The greatest thing about the Civil War story line is to bring a sense of reality to the What If? superpowers were real.The effects on normal society..etc... "

Well If i registered, I would be bound to the law and be unable to implant insanity into telemarketers. And then there is the freaking merchandise, it's creepy. And all the suck ups and all those people asking to put you into their products. It would get annoying.
Post Edited:2008-03-18 14:55:10

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vrakmul

And the worst part is, you would be the tool of our Tool of a Pres. Who is in turn the tool of the vice pres. And I am not going to kneel to him.

Cobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cobalt

Avantar, there is not more Patriot Act. It was found to be unconstitutional a little over two years ago.

man_of_forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By man_of_forever

Mof would start off nuetral. then he would take a trip to the end of the civil war and see the outcome. which ever side had more power or if it was to many tragities or world altering things(which was everything) he would go back and help which ever side was going to lose/ keep some things from happening.

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Avantar

The Patriot Act was renewed with some changes in March of 2006 and some parts were declared unconstitutional in Sept 2007.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#31  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I don't like closing threads when they're already underway, but all threads that have to do with your characters belong in the RPG Forum.