• 83 results
#1 Posted by Arcus1 (27606 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I couldn't find a similar thread yet, so here we go

This is a place for discussion of YJ S3: likes, dislikes, hopes, questions, all that stuff. Now that the first episodes are out, I think it's helpful

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the first three episodes, and my biggest complaint is that there's not more

For some potential spoiler-y discussion

I like that, so far, there's more of a focus on some of the original team (Nightwing, Artemis, Superboy). I hope that continues, since obviously there's only so much show time to go around.

Not only is Kaldur now Aquaman, he went and made himself leader of the Justice League. Kinda proud of him, even though he's fictional. I hope we'll see more of him in action (his unique powerset is great, imo, and I'd love to see what new tricks he's got), but I'm not sure how much of that we're likely to get, unfortunately. But, I can handle not seeing as much of him if the reason is that he's now the Alpha of the Justice League

Very much enjoyed seeing Superboy wreck Baron Bedlam, poor guy get's beaten up to establish so many other villains as legit threats, it was nice to see him get a clear win. Showcased his h2h skills too, something I've been hoping to see more of (especially since his progression in training with Black Canary was a plot point back in S1). I'm hoping we continue to see more of him actually taking down metas instead of just getting taken out by the high tiers

Tbh, I could do without the Beast Boy stuff, but maybe it'll lead to something more interesting later on

Geo Force looks cool, I'm looking forward to seeing more of what he can do as he learns about his powers.

The issues between the JL/UN seem like a reasonable development from previous events, and the meta-human trafficking seems like a logical problem for them to be facing as well.

I was really looking forward to the fight in the trailer with Sensei and the ninjas, that one looks cool, didn't happen in these episodes though

Anyway, yeah, feel free to discuss whatever

#2 Posted by godzilla44 (6992 posts) - - Show Bio

So far I'm loving it, I loved that the show has matured with it's audience getting older since season 2. Also Black Lighting being more in the spotlight is a huge plus.

#3 Edited by SaintWildcard (21645 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a crazy theory.

I think Batgirl is dead and Oracle is either her mind downloaded into a computer, or the program was created to be her voice in tribute to her. Maybe I missed her and we have a picture of her, but Garth mentioned that he met that girl at the funeral of a friend, maybe that death was Batgirl's.

#4 Posted by RBT (26649 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, you are alive!

#5 Posted by The_Kidd (11554 posts) - - Show Bio

How do you watch it out of the US?

#6 Posted by Arcus1 (27606 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a crazy theory.

I think Batgirl is dead and Oracle is either her mind downloaded into a computer, or the program was created to be her voice in tribute to her. Maybe I missed her and we have a picture of her, but Garth mentioned that he met that girl at the funeral of a friend, maybe that death was Batgirl's.

They met at Wally's funeral (a "fast" friend, plus Perdita knew Wally)

But I am interested in what Barbara's story will end up being

#7 Posted by SaintWildcard (21645 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: yeah, I remembered that a day after posting.

#8 Posted by Trapezoid (116 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Supermanthor (13428 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_kidd said:

How do you watch it out of the US?

online cartoon sites

#10 Posted by King-Ragnar (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand the change from the Old designs to the N52DCAU ones, tho that's not really an issue. Overall first three episodes were good. Nothing special, but good.

#11 Edited by the_stegman (40073 posts) - - Show Bio

First episode was awesome.

#12 Posted by Supermanthor (13428 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand the change from the Old designs to the N52DCAU ones,

well the events set two years after season 2 so theres that they thought its time for a change as for dcs point of view they thought they should upgrade them in order to make heroes slimier to their modern comic counterparts

tho that's not really an issue. Overall first three episodes were good. Nothing special, but good.

#13 Edited by SaintWildcard (21645 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand the change from the Old designs to the N52DCAU ones, tho that's not really an issue. Overall first three episodes were good. Nothing special, but good.

Cus the old designs are ugly and they gotta make the costumes cool and marketable. DOWN WITH THE TRUNKS! IN WITH ARMOR LINES!

#14 Posted by Arcus1 (27606 posts) - - Show Bio

Thoughts on the new episodes

So...the masked guy Nightwing was fighting is definitely Jason, right? And we've got baby Damian too

Who do we think is running the League of Shadows now? My bet is Lady Shiva-we know Cassandra Cain is gonna be introduced

Miss M has a brother, apparently, who's potentially gonna be a rival for her? She kinda already wrecked him in tp though

I need a Bowhunters Security spin-off, I really do. Having all the Harpers together, even just for one episode, was great

Superboy as a mentor-figure for Geo-Force is nice, shows how far he's come since his pod days

Are they just gonna keep killing poor Halo? Is this gonna be a running thing?

Zatanna and Dr. Fate: just rip out my heart while you're at it, YJ, I wasn't using it anyway

#15 Edited by ganon15 (7050 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly my only minor complaint is the stiff animation, much like with the Animated New-52 movies

#16 Edited by TheVivas (19113 posts) - - Show Bio

Only hope I have so far is give me Aqualad, Nightwing, and Artemis, and give me a lot of them (preferably Aqualad and Nightwing more tho).

#17 Posted by King-Ragnar (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

Shame it wasn't actually Orion.

#18 Posted by Aros001 (3542 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally caught up with the first six episodes. Loved it. Even the little minor things like Beast Boy being the star of a TV show were great not only for world-building but a nice little nod to the comics too, I believe. I'm pretty sure Beast Boy was in Hollywood for a time as an actor.

#19 Posted by GXrevs06 (4093 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1 What are your thoughts on the amount of characters they've introduced? Personally, I feel like they are trying to handle too many and my worry is that not all of them are are going get much focus or any proper development. That was my main gripe with season 2. Granted, this season has 26 episodes instead of 20 but it still feels like Greg is trying to cram too many plotlines in at once and too many characters

#20 Posted by YOA_501 (685 posts) - - Show Bio

I’m huge fan of the first season but the second was unbelievably disappointing tho I hope this one won’t happy it’s out

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#21 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (23716 posts) - - Show Bio

So when's Forager going to evolve into a New God? He's always been implied to be one in the comic books.

#22 Edited by Magian (150888 posts) - - Show Bio

What is he? A Pokemon? lol

And Forager was never technically a New God.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#23 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (23716 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian: of course, he's a bug-type!

#24 Posted by Arcus1 (27606 posts) - - Show Bio

@gxrevs06 said:

@arcus1 What are your thoughts on the amount of characters they've introduced? Personally, I feel like they are trying to handle too many and my worry is that not all of them are are going get much focus or any proper development. That was my main gripe with season 2. Granted, this season has 26 episodes instead of 20 but it still feels like Greg is trying to cram too many plotlines in at once and too many characters

I am concerned about having too many characters as well

I think they're doing ok with it so far by keeping the focus on a core group of characters-I don't really need them all to get much development, as long as they're kept as distinct background characters. In S2, I think they tried to develop more new characters and in the process had a number of characters with partial but not full development-enough to make you unsatisfied that there wasn't more

This season, I think it's going better in that regard-building on characters we already know and the new Outsiders. We'll see how it progresses though

#25 Posted by modernww2fare (7009 posts) - - Show Bio

The animation is noticeably stiff, and there's a lot more death and blood. But it's alright so far

#26 Posted by Arcus1 (27606 posts) - - Show Bio

Thoughts on the new episodes

Lots of plot development, which is probably good (even though part of me just wants more cool fight scenes). Between learning the origin of the Light and the heroes forming an "anti-Light," we learned a lot

Guess I was right in thinking that we'd see Lady Shiva, but idk if she's leading the Shadows or not. They said she was the Light's new enforcer, I guess it's not Deathstroke anymore? He's shown as a member of the Light though, guess he got promoted?

The nuclear option with the kids and families-that was crazy. Just..wow

They are clearly not holding back on the violence and injuries-I appreciate that they're not going too overboard in that regard though

I guess Halo's just gonna die every week, that's fun

Not sure how I feel about the heroes forming an "anti-Light." I can see the benefits, but it sounds like exactly the kind of thing that's gonna cause them problems

Definitely enjoying the dynamic with Geo Force, Halo, and Forager. I would've been reluctant to introduce more new characters after introducing so many last season, but I think they're relevant and useful to the plot, which helps. Plus, playing up Dick/Artemis/Conner as trainers and mentors is good too

Gonna be interesting to see what the role of the VR goggles is-with Granny Goodness involved it's gonna be something.

Things I'm still hoping to see:

• Nightwing/Tigress taking on a bunch of ninjas-it's gotta happen eventually
  • The return of Jason. I know they're gonna have to do more with him (and I guess Damian), and I expect some more good fights between him and Dick
  • An explanation for Halo: I doubt they're gonna go with an origin for her that's as convoluted as it is in the comics, but she's gotta have more background
#27 Edited by The_Kidd (11554 posts) - - Show Bio

Episode 7: Evolution:

My favorite episode so far, we got the origin for The Light and fleshed out Vandal Savage. Every animated version of Savage seem superior to main one imo. You would think the first human would be more than just the general of forgotten armies the DCU portray him as. A C Lister like General Immortus could fill that role.

Episode 8: Triptych

So The League is adopting The Light's playbook, that will end well or maybe they will finally get some win. The League having been taking nothing but Ls for the last 8 years. Cool to see Tim's new squad and Shade.

Episode 9:

Super play-date! Already setting up the next generation. Granny Goodness - Darkseid is behind the VR Googles, obvious. I'm betting its a version of Justifiers helmet.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
#28 Posted by SupremeGeneration (11014 posts) - - Show Bio

Need to watch 7-9. Absolutely loved the first 6, tho I could've done w/o the Roy Harper episode.

#29 Edited by entropy_aegis (20731 posts) - - Show Bio

So I keep hearing that they're setting up a Final Crisis adaptation? That makes me curious but not really interested in the show or a new subscription service to be frank. All the new character introductions are just unbelievable. Last I saw YJ they did squat with Tim for example but they're introducing Jason, Damian, Batwoman, Cass and Steph? Really? The hell.

#30 Posted by SeaGod (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: the Damian was more of just a easter egg type thing. As for Tim he should have a bigger role this season since he is a team leader.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#31 Edited by The_living_tribunal_24 (5833 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason looked dopeeee. Damian as a baby+ Jon. Super sons?

I really need more green lantern stuff tbh.

#32 Posted by Lvenger (36284 posts) - - Show Bio

S3 has definitely been an improvement over S2 so far. More character focused moments and a slower build up of the arc has helped with the quality a lot. Not sure if I like Halo getting killed every other episode Kenny style and they can get a bit too gratuitous since the censors can't stop them now but I've enjoyed S3 a lot.

#33 Posted by GXrevs06 (4093 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is episode 6 being met with so much praise? What about it did people like?

#34 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36465 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope we get a taste of some GL stuff although I doubt it due to what was mentioned.

Besides that this season is perfect and brings several different plot lines all together. We are getting so much payoff it feels amazing to be rewarded with actual real stakes and depth. This version of Vandal Savage is pretty amazing.

#35 Posted by RavenVice01 (4320 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: So far I'm liking Young Justice and I'm hoping there will be a Season 4. I'm not digging ms martian's new look. She looks more like Raven now. She needs to go back to green. It's a pity that Cyborg, Raven and Starfire haven't been brought into the fold.

#36 Posted by Magian (150888 posts) - - Show Bio

So I keep hearing that they're setting up a Final Crisis adaptation?

Now that I would like to see. Not that I think they would pull it off but still I'm curious enough.

#37 Posted by Arcus1 (27606 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently we're getting 4 episodes on Friday, not just 3, so that's nice

But then I think they're going on hiatus (mid-season break)

#38 Posted by godzilla44 (6992 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn episode 6 might be one of my favorite YJ episodes ever.

#39 Posted by Morpheus_ (34220 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot better than I expected, and with potential to exceed S2 by a considerable margin. Really enjoying what they're doing so far; I hope we'll see more of Kaldur as Aquaman.

@magian said:
@entropy_aegis said:

So I keep hearing that they're setting up a Final Crisis adaptation?

Now that I would like to see. Not that I think they would pull it off but still I'm curious enough.

I don't believe they're going for FC, unless there has been some interview specifically mentioning it. They'll likely adapt a much more simplistic version of Earth vs Apokolips. I'm not convinced a proper FC adaptation can be accomplished in the first place, or if it would even make sense in that format.

So I keep hearing that they're setting up a Final Crisis adaptation? That makes me curious but not really interested in the show or a new subscription service to be frank. All the new character introductions are just unbelievable. Last I saw YJ they did squat with Tim for example but they're introducing Jason, Damian, Batwoman, Cass and Steph? Really? The hell.

Batwoman hasn't really done anything - she barely had any screen time outside of a non speaking part and an appearance on a tv screen. They managed to convey more about Cass' demeanor and personality in a few scenes than they have done with Tim in several episodes, so that was intriguing.

Jason's appearance will probably fly over the heads of most non-comic readers. Damian is just a baby, literally.

And to pique your interest, Ra's no longer controls the League, but they mentioned the League now operates out of Santa Prisca.

#40 Posted by soaringturkeys (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it!

The only character development I havent been sold on is the Harper trio. I don't understand how they are all buddies now, but that's okay

#41 Posted by cattlebattle (17504 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really pozzed but, it's OK otherwise.

There is tight writing and attention to detail as well as in Vandal's origin story he dumps Starro into the ocean after their first encounter. Atlantis is where the Starro corpse that Black Manta stole in season one was. So, Vandal was just retrieving a piece of the body he dumped, lol.

#42 Posted by godzilla44 (6992 posts) - - Show Bio

There is tight writing and attention to detail as well as in Vandal's origin story he dumps Starro into the ocean after their first encounter. Atlantis is where the Starro corpse that Black Manta stole in season one was. So, Vandal was just retrieving a piece of the body he dumped, lol.

I didn't even notice that, that's awesome.

#43 Posted by entropy_aegis (20731 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: I would assume that they plan on giving Jason a significant role later on and since they introduced Jon as well they're probably planning another time skip to get him and Damian aged up.

That Cass and Tim comparison is really shocking to hear. I wonder why they even bother with Tim Drake in these things. Does he even speak? I think the last I heard him talk was when the kids fought Black Beetle the first time which would be around S2 E10.

I think that honor will go to Sportsmaster or maybe Deathstroke( I hope, especially if the alternative is sporty). YJ's Bat villains are pretty bad and Bane is no exception to that. Still its intruiging.

#44 Posted by Magian (150888 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: I'll definitely agree with you there. FC is one of those things that are nearly impossible to adapt. Can't think of any way they could pull it off.

Anyway, I am enjoying this season quite a bit so far. My expectations weren't that high after S2 but things have improved. I think one of the reasons is that they have toned down the teenage stuff. Also I like how they use all the characters from DC. For example, for some reason, I was quite surprised when Cassandra Cain showed up. I just wasn't expecting to see her there. I liked the Vandal Savage episode, it was quite interesting seeing him defending Earth with Darkseid's help (one minor complaint about how they pronounce his name though). I'll agree though that the animation can be slightly stiff at times. Ohh and poor Halo. It's like they are taking pleasure in killing her or something lol

#45 Edited by Morpheus_ (34220 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Might be so, but if the time skip is not the most extreme that we've seen thus far, neither Jon nor Damian will play a part in it. Of course, aging them rapidly in some way could work.

Tim does speak here but he's full of uncertainty in virtually every scene. In fact, Cass' silent decisiveness is a stark contrast to his hesitation.

Deathstroke is a member of the Light, and while he could potentially pull off double duty, I don't believe they''ll make him master of the League. Artemis actually asked Ra's if her father is the new leader and Ra's openly scoffed at the idea, so Sportsmaster is out of contention. Not nearly as important, but they reverted Slade's design to the N52 Animated one - his YJ version was really distinct compared to most others, so that was disappointing.

@magian said:

@morpheus_: I'll definitely agree with you there. FC is one of those things that are nearly impossible to adapt. Can't think of any way they could pull it off.

Anyway, I am enjoying this season quite a bit so far. My expectations weren't that high after S2 but things have improved. I think one of the reasons is that they have toned down the teenage stuff. Also I like how they use all the characters from DC. For example, for some reason, I was quite surprised when Cassandra Cain showed up. I just wasn't expecting to see her there. I liked the Vandal Savage episode, it was quite interesting seeing him defending Earth with Darkseid's help (one minor complaint about how they pronounce his name though). I'll agree though that the animation can be slightly stiff at times. Ohh and poor Halo. It's like they are taking pleasure in killing her or something lol

Halo suffers from Wolverine-itis, somehow the only character capable of withstanding lethal blows is the one that always suffers them. Lobo could have easily skewered Tigress or Nightwing, but he conveniently only managed to "kill" her.

Vandal is a lot more interesting to me in YJ than he has ever been in the comics, I don't recall any version of him that has combined cunning and ruthlessness to give him such a level of importance - maybe Multiversity? It's very refreshing.

I just wish they had given Cass another costume, the Orphan guise is a bit generic visually.

#46 Posted by Magian (150888 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: Which I find quite funny and ironic really since due to the PG nature of the shows he has been so far, he has never recovered from any injuries so severe. Maybe some cuts or some very mild burns at best. Still since they have already changed some of her powers, I'm curious to see they will eventually reveal the Aurakles as the source of her powers or make her a regular metahuman.

His DCAU incarnation was also rather interesting, maybe not to the same degree but still interesting enough. Seeing his future version working together with Superman to help him and them becoming sort of friends was cool.

Well I wouldn't mind them using the Black Bat costume, even it is was a bit too Batgirl derivative or maybe even appearing as Batgirl since neither Babs or Steph are operating as such here. And Kasumi's would look good as well.

#47 Edited by Morpheus_ (34220 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian: I find it unlikely that there won't be some connection to it, at the very least. It conveniently reconciles how she came back to life the first time we encounter her in the series, and accounts for her loss of memory.

One of the things I've never invested a lot of time in has been the DCAU. I've watched Batman TAS and some of the JL/JLU series, but my knowledge is far from complete. I know it's worthwhile, I just have to stop being lazy.

Babs is Oracle and Steph is Spoiler, outside of confusing people there was no real reason for them not to introduce Cass as Batgirl, that identity is currently vacant. It's arguably her best and definitely her most iconic look, too.

#48 Edited by the_stegman (40073 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been watching it very slowly, cause I know I'll be sad when it's over. Just finished episode six . That Jason and Damian tease!!

#49 Posted by Magian (150888 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: That is true. The Aurakles is a huge part of Halo. Doubt they would leave this one out. And if I remember correctly, there are still a few members of the team that haven't appeared yet.

Do check it if you get the chance. When it comes to comic-based cartoons, it is one of the best. The only part of it that I haven't watched must be the Static show and that because it was never shown here.

I'm not that familiar with Cass as Batgirl so yeah, would like to see her as Batgirl in the show. But maybe they have plans for the Batgirl mantle in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if they go for a N52 on Babs and have her walking and be Batgirl again.

#50 Posted by entropy_aegis (20731 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Might be so, but if the time skip is not the most extreme that we've seen thus far, neither Jon nor Damian will play a part in it. Of course, aging them rapidly in some way could work.

Tim does speak here but he's full of uncertainty in virtually every scene. In fact, Cass' silent decisiveness is a stark contrast to his hesitation.

Deathstroke is a member of the Light, and while he could potentially pull off double duty, I don't believe they''ll make him master of the League. Artemis actually asked Ra's if her father is the new leader and Ra's openly scoffed at the idea, so Sportsmaster is out of contention. Not nearly as important, but they reverted Slade's design to the N52 Animated one - his YJ version was really distinct compared to most others, so that was disappointing.

@magian said:

Halo suffers from Wolverine-itis, somehow the only character capable of withstanding lethal blows is the one that always suffers them. Lobo could have easily skewered Tigress or Nightwing, but he conveniently only managed to "kill" her.

Vandal is a lot more interesting to me in YJ than he has ever been in the comics, I don't recall any version of him that has combined cunning and ruthlessness to give him such a level of importance - maybe Multiversity? It's very refreshing.

I just wish they had given Cass another costume, the Orphan guise is a bit generic visually.

I dont think they're be rapidly aged, if they introduced a whole new generation then given this shows' modus operandi we will see either:

A) Time travel

B) Time skip

LOL, I can handle the uncertainty, a character just needs to be interesting and display features that convey that the writers want/will use the character again and that makes fans want to see said character get used again. Tim Drake has neither in this universe or frankly in any adaptation with the exception of BTAS but that character was a name swapped Jason Todd I cant believe Robin of all characters is a token throwaway.

Well, Ra's pulled off double duty, I would assume that leadership of the League is what gets Slade a seat at the table.

Ha, the pony tail shall be missed.