X-Men "beginning" trilogy vs Raimi Spider-Man trilogy

Avatar image for deactivated-5f34b01dd81ff
deactivated-5f34b01dd81ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll X-Men "beginning" trilogy vs Raimi Spider-Man trilogy (19 votes)

X-Men 21%
Spidey 79%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Which one do you prefer? Even if it's dated, I prefer the SM trilogy due to the first movie being the best film here

• 
skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Spider-Man trilogy.

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Spider-Man 2 > X2 >> Spider-Man > X-men >>> Spider-Man 3 > X-men: The Last Stand

Overall: Spider-Man trilogy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eslay03: This is the trilogy with DOFP not X2...

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sufferedtoker: Oh okay. The images weren’t working, and you said “beginning” trilogy, so I assumed it was the films that began the X-men franchise rather than the films that are chronologically the beginning.

OT: Still Spider-Man trilogy, but I do need to rewatch First Class.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5f34b8a5e213d
deactivated-5f34b8a5e213d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey

Avatar image for deactivated-64cb1ea5c275c
deactivated-64cb1ea5c275c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed First Class and DOFP - casting was great, Charles and Eric's relationship wasn't overdone like later, Quicksilver is the best, etc. I don't remember Apocalypse all that much though.

The Raimi trilogy is fantastic too though. Story, action, characters, etc. Spider-Man 3 is a weak link, and isn't good, but it's still fun to watch. And the memes are top-tier.

Tough one. It probably depends on my mood to be honest.

mossbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it kind of breaks down to First Class being an incredible film based on the strength of the performance of Macavoy and Fassbender, and Apocalypse being nowhere near as good as Spiderman 3. I think as time goes on people have started to realize that SM3 for all its flaws still stays true to its characters, still had great moments (Harry dying and his redemption), versus not fully utilizing Oscar Isaac to his full potential, and the core cast of SM 3 having great character drama. Even minus the cringe moments of Emo Peter dancing, Mary Jane rejecting Peter over not seeing her play (TF??), there's a lot to love in the film moreso than Apocalypse (Goblin is redeemed, the three climax in grief over his loss), and the CG scene where Sandman assembles is better than any technical effect in Apocalypse. Beyond the comparison of the last entries of these films, I just think that SM 1/2 are just demonstrably better films. Everyone remembers in the nineties watching these movies and thinking that the CG (which has held up solidly, minus the Skeleton scene lol), that nothing like it was possible and it put the Superhero genre on the map. SM 2 has a great villain, great drama between Harry, Mary, and Peter and it stays true to his character- which is a knock against the terrible usage of mutants that come and go with impunity in the FOX films (Bishop, Sunspot, Iceman, Blink all dying with ZERO introduction), and the scores of mutants who died with undeveloped storylines in First Class. With the FOX X-men Films the principle performance/cast strength has always been Magneto, Wolverine, and Professor Xavier for like 16-17 years that the movies have existed. Those are a lot of great character moments but that's spread out over scores of films. I just think the core drama between the main cast in the SM trilogy was greater than the bromance of Xavier/Magneto which sort of culminated in DOFP in the plane scene but never reached a moment where the two broke off in their respective philosophies. Also the sheer influence the first two SM films is just greater than the reboot of the X-men films. All we had before those movies was Blade and the Spiderman films are a huge influence on the MCU, today