thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thefemalebat
No Caption Provided

This review is non-spoiler, but if you haven't seen the final trailer for this shit movie, do not read.

In all seriousness!

Bryan Singer is 4 for 4: X-Men: Apocalypse is yet again, a great Bryan Singer X-Men film. His fourth X-Men film and he still has it in him. He didn't top Days of Future Past, which is still the best X-Men film, but nearly met the standard set by Days of Future Past with this film.

People will disagree with me, but as a huge fan of Days of Future Past, this movie satisfied me. From an emotional standpoint, this film had it in spades. In fact, Days of Future Past is my favourite superhero film, partially because of emotion, and this film had a moment which I won't spoil, that was the most powerful scene in all X-Men films.

There are moments in this film where I forget I was watching a superhero film. From a sheer filmmaking standpoint? Bryan Singer wowed me. I had fears about the cinematography from the trailers, but it proved to be beautifully shot (with the exception of some shoddy CGI).

The action sequences: wow.

I praise this movie for the same thing I praised Civil War for: Mystique, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Magneto, X, Psylocke, Apocalpyse, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, Storm, Angel, Beast and hell, Moira, all had their moments to shine. I cared for every single character in less then 2 1/2 hours. There were multiple characters in this film, and I respected all of them. Hell, there was a mother and a daughter in this film that I cared for. Hell, I cared for Storm here more then when she was shoved her under our throats in the OT.

Jean Grey, Cyclops and Nightcrawler were MVPs. Jean Grey was badass and humane, Cyclops was an apology for the tragedy that was James Mardsen's version of the character, and Nightcrawler was to this movie, what Ant-Man to Civil War, comic relief: and I loved every single moment of his character. Believe me when I say he surpassed X2's Nightcrawler. Don't get me wrong, X2's opening is still a highlight of superhero films, but they skimmed over the more levity aspects of the character.

In this movie, he kicked ass in action, AND was an antidote for the film's seriousness.

There were so many fantastic moments in this film. This movie could be gritty or heroic. It was sad, and pleasing. It was entertaining, and touching. I had my doubts that they would top Quicksilver's kitchen scene in DoFP, but holy shit. This was 10x the scene that was. There are bombastic, yet heroic, scenes in this movie that remind you why you watch superhero movies, and other moments that make you forget you are watching a superhero movie. Wolverine's sequence was insane.

The first 1 hour and 30 minutes of this film are fantastic. The final 50 or so minutes dropped in quality... but it was entertaining from beginning to end. That said, there are things in this film that prevent it from being an A+. They smothered the 80s settings, and smothered a potentially powerful Quicksilver story line. There was an overabundance of action, too.

That said, the characters felt humane. They respectively brought different spirits to the film, and I felt & understood why most of them were there.

In my Top 2 X-Men films.

Rating: A-

Top 3 superhero movies: DoFP > Civil War > Apocalypse

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Good review. Glad to see one that's so positive towards it.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good review. Glad to see one that's so positive towards it.

I hope you'll enjoy it. You probably will.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Invain

I liked it. It met my expectations. It was nice seeing the backgrounds that we've read about Magneto and Storm play out on the big screen.

I thought it was better than Deadpool, The Wolverine, and X-Men but not as good as Days of Future Past, First Class, and X2.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:

I liked it. It met my expectations. It was nice seeing the bacrounds that we've read about Magneto and Storm play out on the big screen.

I thought it was better than Deadpool, The Wolverine, and X-Men but not as good as Days of Future Past, Firs Class, and X2.

Oh yeah, no doubt it was better then Deadpool, The Wolverine and X-Men. Didn't find it to be as good as DoFP, which stays my favourite superhero film, but Apocalypse > First Class and X2. Which could be recency bias. I'll save that up for a 2nd and 3rd re watch.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefemalebat: As a X-Men fan, I enjoyed Apocalypse more than First Class due to the charecters but I think First Class was a better movie. If that makes any sense.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:

@thefemalebat: As a X-Men fan, I enjoyed Apocalypse more than First Class due to the charecters but I think First Class was a better movie. If that makes any sense.

It makes a whole lotta sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e497e3f11e30
deactivated-5e497e3f11e30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone already Spoiled it for me.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By jumpstart55
  • Your pretty harsh on Superhero movies..So you liking it says something..lol
  • Your review sounds on point with what i expected it to be..A far less politically focused film and much more aligned with the previous two Avengers films in terms of over the top action and absurdly cartoony villains then the last two X-men films(First class and DOP) Which were more about the plotical nature of mutan race relations at that particular time in histroy...
  • So all in all i see myself liking this move becuase i ultimately know what to expect from it.
thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Your pretty harsh on Superhero movies..So you liking it says something..lol
  • Your review sounds on point with what i expected it to be..A far less politically focused film and much more aligned with the previous two Avengers films in terms of over the top action and absurdly cartoony villains then the last two X-men films(First class and DOP) Which were more about the plotical nature of mutan race relations at that particular time in histroy...
  • So all in all i see myself liking this move becuase i ultimately know what to expect from it.

I'm pretty harsh on superhero movies? I never saw it like that O.o then again, I found the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 to be awful, don't really like Marvel's The Avengers, saw Deadpool as overrated, and um... I'm a bit of a movie fan so I see what you mean xD

Enjoy it!

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

You didn't like Deadpool? Communist!!! I knew it!!! :p

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Nice review. Sounds like I will really like it.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

You didn't like Deadpool? Communist!!! I knew it!!! :p

I didn't hate it, but...

I'll let my rankings speak for themselves:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/thefemalebat/blog/ranking-x-men-worst-to-best/127126/

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thefemalebat
The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Scourge

Personally didn't think it was a good movie but loved most of the new characters (especially Cyclops) and thought Fassbender and McAvoy were brilliant as always

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally didn't think it was a good movie but loved most of the new characters (especially Cyclops) and thought Fassbender and McAvoy were brilliant as always

McAvoy was marginalized, though.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_scourge said:

That's the fault of the writing and not the actor

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefemalebat said:
@the_scourge said:

Except the actor's opportunity to shine is dependant on the script. McAvoy did an excellent job portraying a version of the character that was coming into form as the Xavier in the OT (I loved the scenes of him early on in the film), but they shafted him in the second half of the film. If Xavier was in it more, I could've rated the movie an A.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_scourge said:
@thefemalebat said:
@the_scourge said:

Except the actor's opportunity to shine is dependant on the script. McAvoy did an excellent job portraying a version of the character that was coming into form as the Xavier in the OT (I loved the scenes of him early on in the film), but they shafted him in the second half of the film. If Xavier was in it more, I could've rated the movie an A.

Wait, what? That's exactly what I said. It isn't McAvoy's fault he didn't have much to do because of they way they wrote him but he performed all his scenes brilliantly as expected.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefemalebat said:
@the_scourge said:
@thefemalebat said:
@the_scourge said:

Wait, what? That's exactly what I said. It isn't McAvoy's fault he didn't have much to do because of they way they wrote him but he performed all his scenes brilliantly as expected.

Then I agree with you!