Pretty amazing.

SpideyWW
opening$117.0m$103.2m
2nd weekend$44.2m$58.5m
3rd weekend$22.2m$41.3m
4th weekend$13.3m$24.9m
5th weekend$8.8m$15.7m
6th weekend$6.1m$9.8m

WW blew Spidey out of the water after the opening weekend even despite Homecoming getting very favorable reviews.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Spider fatigue

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man will still most likely do better world wide.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW would do at least 70-80M more than Spider-Man in NA. That's pretty damn impressive.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ww is about a week short of surpassing original spider man in domestic gross and about 20 million short of suprassing it globaly with yet to open in japan. would have surpassed it easly by now if china didnt do the summer blackout

PoundYourAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is only popular there because America is full of SJW's that is willing to see it again and again just cuz it stars a woman. The fact that Homecoming has a higher foreign gross without opening in China yet while Wonder Woman has shows which character is really more popular.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Spider-Man will still most likely do better world wide.

I don't know. I think it'll be neck and neck.

Itachus17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is only popular there because America is full of SJW's that is willing to see it again and again just cuz it stars a woman. The fact that Homecoming has a higher foreign gross without opening in China yet while Wonder Woman has shows which character is really more popular.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Homecoming was the worst MCU movie ever imo.

Wonder Woman was damn near perfect.

I am glad that it went that way.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I thought WW is a tad overrated Homecoming was just not very good, it's down there with SM 3 and TASM 2.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the DCEU is not a sinking ship after all (not that it ever was, just trying to make a point).

Beyonder97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not only Spidey you could compare her domestic BO run to almost every superhero movie even Iron man 3 or civil war

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poundyourass: ummm it's pretty common knowledge Spiderman is more popular worldwide the guys has like 10 movies already

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey will finish around $325 million domestically, which is not bad at all, and with China and Japan, probably north of 800 million worldwide. Spidey has a great chance of passing up Wonder Woman worldwide, but its impossible domestically

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You realize watching Homecoming you didn't really get any fight scenes, Spider-Man didn't threw one single punch and majority of the movie is Pete being Stark's #1 fanboy

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ww is about a week short of surpassing original spider man in domestic gross and about 20 million short of suprassing it globaly with yet to open in japan. would have surpassed it easly by now if china didnt do the summer blackout

If you take into account inflation, and the huge variation in CBMs acceptance, that means S1 is still WAY ahead of WW

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanforever said:

If you take into account inflation, and the huge variation in CBMs acceptance, that means S1 is still WAY ahead of WW

inflation has no effect on box office record.its just meassure of ticket inflation. thats like saying gone with the wind has grossed more than avatar because inflation. no its nit how it works

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well as mentioned before, Homecoming had the rotten luck of competing with films like Dunkirk, so the sudden drop in box office revenue makes sense.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well as mentioned before, Homecoming had the rotten luck of competing with films like Dunkirk, so the sudden drop in box office revenue makes sense.

Not really true. Spider-Man was falling way before Dunkirk. It fell over 60% on 2nd weekend, against War of Planet of Apes, which itself was a huge disappointment on box office. Wonder Woman dropped less during Dunkirk weekend than Homecoming did(32% compared to 50%).

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I am not so sure it going up against Dunkirk is such a hard thing, I mean the people who go in to see a Spiderman movie aren't necessarily the same kind who'd go in to watch a WWII drama. It has an effect certainly, as does WW's staying power when the movies that followed immediately after it were mostly considered flops. That said, the drop in Spidey's BO is part of the norm for superhero movies; big opening, low showings afterwards... which is where WW is different because it's kept itself better afloat than most other superhero flicks.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: Okay. But the point still stands. It did fall due to tough competition from other blockbusters. Planet of the Apes being a box office dud says nothing about its first weekend when the mainstream audience had yet to see the movie.

As for Wonder Woman's performance against Dunkirk, I would argue that it already being in theaters for at least 3 weeks or so, kinda helped matters.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Maybe not Dunkirk specifically, but it did have a lot of competition from other movies during its second week. Despicable me 3 was one of them iirc. I think its safe to say that DM3 and Homecoming do share a common audience to an extent.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brucerogers:

Okay. But the point still stands. It did fall due to tough competition from other blockbusters. Planet of the Apes being a box office dud says nothing about its first weekend when the mainstream audience had yet to see the movie.

As for Wonder Woman's performance against Dunkirk, I would argue that it already being in theaters for at least 3 weeks or so, kinda helped matters.

Actually it does. War had a really bad first weekend. Barely managed to pass Spider-Man's second weekend. The competition was there, but it wasn't tough. Same goes for Wonder Woman and Mummy and Despicable Me 3.

Plus, the demographics for Spider-man and Dunkirk aren't really similar.

The reason Spider-Man couldn't catch up to WW was because WW did exceptionally well. No solo movie from MCU could have surpassed WW except for maybe Iron Man. WW has a very good shot at beating Civil War. That's outright insane for an origin movie.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: Let me rephrase my original comment then. What kind of competition did WW have in its second weekend or even third weekend?. It's not a rhetorical question by the way since I genuinely want to know. And again, I only used Dunkirk as an example, since there were other films competing too, as you are aware. I mean, the demographics for Homecoming and DM3 are similar at least.

Now did WW outperform Spider-man due legitimately being a better movie?. I can definitely see the arguments for that, sure. But it does not take away the the former didn't exactly have it as easy (in terms of box office competition that is). That's all I was trying to address.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: Let me rephrase my original comment then. What kind of competition did WW have in its second weekend or even third weekend?. It's not a rhetorical question by the way since I genuinely want to know. And again, I only used Dunkirk as an example, since there were other films competing too, as you are aware. I mean, the demographics for Homecoming and DM3 are similar at least.

Now did WW outperform Spider-man due legitimately being a better movie?. I can definitely see the arguments for that, sure. But it does not take away the the former didn't exactly have it as easy (in terms of box office competition that is). That's all I was trying to address.

WW competed with Mummy, Pirates, Cars 3, Transformers and Despicable Me in its early phase. These are 4 big budget movies, all of which didn't do too well on domestic box office. Except for maybe, Mummy, the demographics are pretty similar as well. Spider-Man competed with DM3, War, Valerian and Dunkirk. War underperformed by a lot and Valerian outright tanked. While Dunkirk did good, its far from a box office giant. It hasn't even earned half as much as Spider-Man. Neither have War. Infact, Cars 3(WW's direct competition)did more business than War(Spider-Man's direct competition).

WW being better movie than Spider-Man is a debatable and completely different topic. Both of them received exact same score on Rotten Tomatoes score and Cinemascore. WW, still, did much better than Spider-Man, despite receiving same scores and facing similar competition. Probably because its first good female lead super hero movie. But the fact that an origins movie which had no huge name to carry it might surpass a movie like Civil War(a huge event in a movie cinematic verse of almost 10 years. being carried by huge names like RDJ) is an unreal feat.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman at the domestic box office, in terms of drops, beat every other major comic book movie....

Comparing Homecoming with the cbm norm, it had +$50M movies as competition on its second and third weekend and in that scenario its hard to have good drops...

With the current data, i would say that i think Wonder Woman sequel will probably make less money at the domestic box office and more in the international. Once this ("event") type of films become norm its a lot more hard to keep the audience interested, i predict the same for Star Wars and Avatar, and i would not be admired if none of the Infinity Wars movies could replicate the domestic box office of the Avengers original movie.

Spider-Man new take started well, and its all set for the franchise have a good escalation with the sequels making more money than the previous movie.

Wonder Woman defined itself as an event and that is always incredibly positive, but also has the downsides of make the sequel live to the acquired status, when it will no longer be that unique.

The domestic box office is heavily uniqueness guided, there is a lot of data showing that, and we don't have to go further than the Spider-Man franchise, where for exmple Raimi's Spider-Man 2, although the great reception could not make more money than Spider-Man 1 at the domestic box office...

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw said:
@supermanforever said:

inflation has no effect on box office record.its just meassure of ticket inflation. thats like saying gone with the wind has grossed more than avatar because inflation. no its nit how it works

Thats exactly how it works

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gotoucanario

I doubt at Spiderman falling off only because of Planet of the Apes and Dunkirk, both movies that underperformed in box office and have wildly different target audiences compared to Spidey and Wonder Woman having no competition while being around Cars 3, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribean a nd Despicable me around. Admitedly several of these underpeformed as well but point is that Wonder Woman had if anything, more competition than Homecoming and with more similar movies (lighthearted, action packed blockbusters rather than more mature dramas).