Would you say that the horror genre is harder to pull off in printed media and animation than in live action?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Would you say that the horror genre is harder to pull off in printed media and animation than in live action?

I always had an issue with the genre of horror in printed media such as novels (The Turn of the Screw) and comic books (Hellboy although I do enjoy the lore Mignola establishes for his saga). I have notable exceptions such as H.P. Lovecraft but mostly because of the ominous and horrific fates that happen to his characters that are implied on the page. Horror in printed media never really makes me as tense as when I'm watching a good live action horror movie or television show such as Mike Flanagan's The Haunting Of Hill House. Somehow the atmosphere music creates (or the lack of sound) and a character with a limited view of his or her surroundings being portrayed by a real person builds more tension for me than printed media ever could.

Honestly, I think it's more of a cognitive thing than anything else. My senses being more engaged of a concrete concept than something written or drawn on paper.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I think it is a bit more difficult in printed media, although it can happen under the right circumstances. But I believe it can be done in animation.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Bumper stickers.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@magian said:

I think it is a bit more difficult in printed media, although it can happen under the right circumstances. But I believe it can be done in animation.

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need those animated/live action jump scares

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah in printed media it is difficult.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna pretend to know what I'm gonna say here. Printed media like writing might seem difficult because it follows a guideline of sorts on what the pages should have. Not saying that going crazy with font and color will make things better. Whereas the other mediums like probably comics, animation, and live-action have a more potential for variety in what they can depict and present.

Plus something about any mediums that go for the limit might be book burning/call for censorship and restraint tier or somewhere that could get close to that.

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes, because there's less of that sort of visceral immersion that you get with a visual medium.

im_late

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is harder, since you cannot rely on cheap solutions like music and jump scares. Still, I feel like suspension is what creates the most tension in storytelling, so you can pull it off just fine in printed media. Uzumaki scared the hell out of me.

You are right though. It is harder.