• 160 results
Posted by Pipxeroth (9135 posts) 5 years, 2 months ago

Poll: Would you rather have Fire or Ice powers? (216 votes)

Fire 31%
Ice 69%

Pyro or Cyro.

If you could have control over one of these, which would you choose?

Leave some reasoning as well :3

Personally I would like to be an Ice user. I would be able to tank some heavy damage with ice shields, I can slow people down (to be fair people would probably slow if they were lit up like a candle), and I can take out people without actually hurting them.

I have a bad feeling that this has been done but I can't find it, i'm hoping not.

Anyway,

- Pip

#1 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly both are awesome, and I'd be happy to get either. I suppose if I had to choose I'd go Ice because I feel it would be less dangerous of the two for other people.

#2 Posted by Perethorn (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice

#3 Edited by JohnnyGat (1592 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice, I live in the tropics so I've got to go with the power that can make me more comfortable with.

Avatar image for drmantistoboggan
#4 Posted by DrMantisToboggan (601 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice, you could be the best firefighter ever, play hockey wherever you wanted, never have to worry about warm beer, and you could fight battles in a muuuuch safer/less destructive manner

Still though, fire would be just as awesome

Avatar image for mypasswordis1234
#5 Posted by mypasswordis1234 (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

Depend on the immunity power it give, but at winter, the fire power would make my life more comfortable and the gas-bill lower, lol.

#6 Posted by jesse1018 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman and Captain Cold have pretty sweet versatility with their powers. You can make ice constructs (weapons, armor, barriers), ice physiology, freezing effects/heat-steal on targets. Their are a lot of applications.

Fire is pretty destructive. Applications are mostly centered around burning things. Flight is probably the greatest advantage, but not impressive enough to convince me it's better than ice.

#7 Edited by Gizmorino (6317 posts) - - Show Bio

fire b'cos of flight, survival at col places and hot places, attacking people with less powerful fireball will do low damage n fire is more useful than ice imo

#8 Posted by PowerHerc (86188 posts) - - Show Bio

Either one would be great.

#9 Posted by AssertingValor (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire

1. Total badass ( light a cig with your finger lol....)

2. Cold is one thing, but nobody wants to mess with somebody that can fry them

3. One word EXPLOSIONS

4. What could be hotter lol

#10 Posted by DEGRAAF (8422 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say it depends. What are the extents of their powers? Do i have to choose between Iceman and Pyro or Fire and Ice (DC Characters, sorry i cant seem to remember how to link a name to a characters page)

#12 Posted by attatje (1384 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you need water to make ice if so fire if not ice (and you can make it just appear.

#13 Posted by JediXMan (42418 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#14 Edited by ShadowX (1329 posts) - - Show Bio

You see ice is more versitile but I feel like firs will be used more often in a practical sense like in a survival situation. however I think my personality leans more towards ice. so ice.

#15 Posted by fodigg (6244 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted Ice because it seems less destructive.

#16 Edited by ChildoftheAtom (935 posts) - - Show Bio

I would hate the power to burn people alive. Unless I could fly like the human torch.

Avatar image for ifdcruledtheworld
#17 Posted by IfDCRuledTheWorld (1098 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire. Ace from One Piece. Human Torch. Heck, even elite firebending like Azula and Iroh would be awesome.

#18 Posted by hart7668 (2334 posts) - - Show Bio
I...I...
I...I...

I CAN'T CHOOSE! D:

It really depends on how I feel I guess. I always thought Firebending was the coolest (see what I did there?) bending of the four, but I mean, then there's this guy:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for kaijukinggojira
#19 Posted by KaijuKingGojira (2948 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice because my clothes are flammable.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
#20 Edited by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire, I freaking hate the cold.

#22 Posted by RetconCrisis (5593 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice.

California doesn't need much heat lol, the very lowest it actually gets in the winter is 35+ degrees Fahrenheit in the morning (it warms up a lot after 8 am). Also, I can build with ice, whereas the purpose of fire is mostly to destroy.

#23 Posted by kgb725 (18399 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldnt care which one to have truthfully id live it either way

#24 Posted by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice because i love cold and dislike heat.

#25 Edited by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

Both have pros and cons. Fire seems more practical in a survival sense, but I feel like it would be more dangerous too if it isn't able to be controlled.

I'mma choose ice

#26 Edited by rogueshadow (29182 posts) - - Show Bio

It would depend at what level, low level, I'd want Fire. But if I could be an absolute beast with either I'd choose ice, more versatile in my opinion.

#27 Posted by LyraFay (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end, ice is water and while water does harm, Fire can worst and I'm rather not have that.

#28 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (2084 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire is fun but dangerous. So ice for me.

#29 Posted by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice-if it can take down Flash, you know it's good!

#30 Posted by BlackLegRaph (5429 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice is more practical for day to day uses, and also naturally safer to use even when facing an opponent. Ice for me. Instant freeze like Ao Kiji.

No Caption Provided

#31 Posted by PeppeyHare (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice. Fire is too destructive

#32 Posted by AssertingValor (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire is way more powerfull than ice

#33 Posted by eternalnature (378 posts) - - Show Bio

which ever has the most puns i can make.

#34 Posted by MetalJimmor (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire for me. Ice can be used more defensively, but fire has more style and is just as versatile. You could create flaming constructs, walls of fire, fire weapons, superheat metals, send out bursts of heat to melt the rubber of people's shoes so they get stuck to the ground or slip, blind people with a big flash, deafen people with a huge explosion, make the ground beneath someone burst to send them flying, make cars explode on a whim, or just plain incinerate enemies with huge flaming blasts.

Visually fire is more stunning and intimidating. Sure, you can make a huge ice construct, but creating massive torrents of flame that rise up into the air and bend down into the shape of a dragon's head is far more terrifying. Especially with waves of intense heat and light coming off them that is so intense the person has to look away for fear of being burnt from several feet away.

At the really high levels sure, you have Iceman who can pass his consciousness and reform anywhere there's water. But a fire user who can similarly transform his body into fire should be able to reform himself anywhere there's a gas that can combust to create fire, or from sufficient heat sources like stars. Iceman can end the world with an ice age? That's nice, but a sufficiently powerful fire manipulator can hijack the Sun and hold it for ransom, either making it go supernova or extinguishing it completely to create a black hole. Go even higher than that and you have a character who can create and extinguish stars on a whim and use them as a form of attack. You want to planet bust without bringing stars into it? No problem because you can literally rip a planet in half by manipulating it's core and causing a gigantic, all consuming eruption.

Go even further than that and you become a being capable of creating your own Big Bang by generating the theoretical "Absolute Heat" temperature in the palm of your hand and letting it explode outward, or wiping out all life in the universe by simulating the "Heat Death" theory of how the universe will come to an end.

People who think ice is more versatile or more powerful at the high end manipulation levels just aren't thinking big enough.

#35 Posted by batmannflash (6299 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice

#36 Posted by TexasDingo (264 posts) - - Show Bio

Ice. It would cause less damage if you couldn't control your powers.

#37 Edited by Chibi_cute (5157 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire.. because i wanna burn my xgirlfriends house

i wanna watch the world burn.

#38 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to go with fire. The ability to snuff out a flame before it gets out of control and keep people safe is appealing.

#39 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

if i could control my powers like human torch, then yeah i pick fire

#40 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (755 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire, just in case I run out of hot water. This way I might get away without having to pay for gas! I can even get away with cooking. When it's winter, I can be warm and snug, too!

#41 Posted by kidchipotle (15763 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
No Caption Provided

Y'know I was leaning towards but then you had to post FMA and ... ugh he's so awesomeeeee.

Mer, I still go ice.

#42 Posted by Onemoreposter (4365 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire. Something just sounds extremely satisfying about being able to just burn something to the ground. Plus, if it's Johnny Storm level of ability, then you actually have feasible high altitude, high velocity flight (fire would keep you warm and destroy crap in the air that you might have to fly through).

Also, as someone above mentioned, I'd never again be freaking out trying to find a lighter.

#43 Posted by Pipxeroth (9135 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire for me. Ice can be used more defensively, but fire has more style and is just as versatile. You could create flaming constructs, walls of fire, fire weapons, superheat metals, send out bursts of heat to melt the rubber of people's shoes so they get stuck to the ground or slip, blind people with a big flash, deafen people with a huge explosion, make the ground beneath someone burst to send them flying, make cars explode on a whim, or just plain incinerate enemies with huge flaming blasts.

Visually fire is more stunning and intimidating. Sure, you can make a huge ice construct, but creating massive torrents of flame that rise up into the air and bend down into the shape of a dragon's head is far more terrifying. Especially with waves of intense heat and light coming off them that is so intense the person has to look away for fear of being burnt from several feet away.

At the really high levels sure, you have Iceman who can pass his consciousness and reform anywhere there's water. But a fire user who can similarly transform his body into fire should be able to reform himself anywhere there's a gas that can combust to create fire, or from sufficient heat sources like stars. Iceman can end the world with an ice age? That's nice, but a sufficiently powerful fire manipulator can hijack the Sun and hold it for ransom, either making it go supernova or extinguishing it completely to create a black hole. Go even higher than that and you have a character who can create and extinguish stars on a whim and use them as a form of attack. You want to planet bust without bringing stars into it? No problem because you can literally rip a planet in half by manipulating it's core and causing a gigantic, all consuming eruption.

Go even further than that and you become a being capable of creating your own Big Bang by generating the theoretical "Absolute Heat" temperature in the palm of your hand and letting it explode outward, or wiping out all life in the universe by simulating the "Heat Death" theory of how the universe will come to an end.

People who think ice is more versatile or more powerful at the high end manipulation levels just aren't thinking big enough.

Your argument can be exactly the same for ice aswell.

An all powerful Ice user could literally just stop everything. You created a black hole? thats nice, its no longer sucking anything in because its atoms are all still. You can create stars, cool, except the star is frozen. You want to destroy a planet without giant ice balls? No problem, just freeze everything then smash it with a single hammer.

The thing about fire being more intimidating is completely subjective, tbh I think watching the entire space infront of my freeze completely and come towards me would be more terrifying.

#44 Posted by MetalJimmor (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth:

Except that while you're slowing down molecules the fire user is speeding them up to create heat. If a fire and ice user are at the exact same level they cancel eachother out.

I'm just pointing out that people seem to be very narrow minded when it comes to what a fire user can do, and where the ability to manipulate fire and heat maxes out.

#47 Posted by MetalJimmor (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran:

As I said above your post, I'm just pointing out extremely high end fire based abilities that could conceivably be created using fire related powers. As you said, Iceman isn't just the ability to make things cold anymore, but a lot of people use him as a measuring stick for what an "Ice user", as vague as that is, can do. Unless the OP meant ice in that you can only manipulate frozen water and not do temperature manipulation to freeze things? Which I doubt, since the lowering of temperature is tied to the idea of ice powers.

With the power to control fire and heat you can take it just as high as an ice user. Like you said, there aren't many, if any, comic characters that are at Iceman's level of control who use strictly fire and heat, but that doesn't mean "Fire control" can't get to the same extreme.

#48 Posted by Strongarm (5881 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Cold, if I can reach the sub-absolute zero temperatures of quantum gas

#49 Posted by JulieDC (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

Right now fire because I am sick of the cold and snow.

#50 Edited by AssertingValor (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire still