Posted by Ghostodoofus (4379 posts) 2 months, 6 days ago

Poll: Would you like to see a proper Universal Monsters cinematic universe? (26 votes)

Yes 77%
No 23%

Dark Universe is now very unlikely to continue but the idea of a shared universe with classic monsters like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman etc. still intrigues me highly, it's an awesome idea even though the executions have been poor so far. I love the old Universal Monsters films with Lugosi, Karloff, Van Sloan etc. so a good Universal Monsters universe would be something I'd love.

#1 Posted by Amonfire1776 (2510 posts) - - Show Bio

No...unnecessary...

#2 Posted by Quinlan58 (1319 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Unless you're telling the story of the eventual destruction of humankind by their darkest passions, there's simply no story to build up to there. And that story wouldn't be commercial enough.

#3 Posted by Vertigo- (16857 posts) - - Show Bio

I don’t think there needs to be one, personally

#4 Posted by Ghostodoofus (4379 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: They could build it up to the emergence of Van Helsing who could play the reverse-Thanos of the universe. To be fair, Iron Man wasn't as globally popular prior to the first Iron Man film. I think if they can build their universe gradually, they can be commercially successful. Proper introductions and steady world building made the Avengers a huge success, lack of it made Justice League a horrible failure.

#5 Posted by Quinlan58 (1319 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostodoofus: That transforms the entire thing into action movies. Which isn't a bad thing and would probably be the wisest decision to take, commercially speaking, but definitely not the route to take if you want to get everything you can from Dracula or Frankenstein. Pure horror would be my preferred genre for this.

#6 Edited by Ghostodoofus (4379 posts) - - Show Bio

@vertigo-: There never needs to be one but the idea is interesting, for me at least. If it can be done well, well why not?

#7 Posted by Ghostodoofus (4379 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: Now that you say that, I agree. If they do make it, they need to keep the first few films true to classic horror with horror elements such as mystery and suspense; after a few films of build-up, they can start including some action for the climactic crossover film.

#8 Posted by rogueshadow (28426 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Personally I'd love to see it. They should focus more towards horror and atmosphere, make them smaller budget, not big action-adventure movies. I don't think these films need, nor should they expect them to be $1 billion smashes.

Moderator Online
Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#9 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (9211 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically. The Universal Monster Films were the first shared universe in cinema.

Dracula fought the Wolf Man and Frankenstein.

And Frankenstein fought the Wolf Man.

Then there were the House Of Dracula films starring all three of them. And sometimes the Mummy.

#10 Posted by Ghostodoofus (4379 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by RukelnikovFTW (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

@vertigo- said:

I don’t think there needs to be one, personally

#12 Posted by Y2G (393 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's needed but I would certainly like one.

#13 Posted by adamTRMM (8108 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
#14 Posted by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically. The Universal Monster Films were the first shared universe in cinema.

Dracula fought the Wolf Man and Frankenstein.

And Frankenstein fought the Wolf Man.

Then there were the House Of Dracula films starring all three of them. And sometimes the Mummy.

#15 Posted by Ghostodoofus (4379 posts) - - Show Bio

@y2g: I really would like to see them bring back old school horror, The Mummy was a failure partly because there was too much action.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#16 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (9211 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostodoofus: Hell I think I was the only one who liked the Benecio Del Toro Wolf-Man. They honestly could have started there.

#17 Posted by loyngulpany (1838 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I do, Hentai too

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65
#18 Posted by deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65 (4972 posts) - - Show Bio

I still want them to go through with the movies, but cancel the ideas of a cinematic universe.

#19 Posted by Helloman (22105 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#20 Posted by Lan_Fan (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Y2G (393 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Aros001 (3225 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see the Universal monsters brought back and be made actually scary again.