Edited 8 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Would you have gone back to save Marsellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction? (13 votes)

Yes, I would Save the Life of Another Human Being 38%
No, He almost tried to kill me. Let Him Die 62%

let's Say you were in the Exact Situation as Butch and Marsellus were. Maynard and Zed Kidnap you both and keep you as Hostages. They Take The Big Man to the back room to have 'Their Fun With Him'. You Break Free, Knock out the Gimp and race towards the front door, Picking up the Keys. However, You Stop dead in your Tracks, and Hear the Hillbilly Psychopaths Having their Way with the Crime Boss of LA. Do you go Back armed with a Katana, Risk your Own Life and Attempt to save the Man who just tried to kill you or do you leave him to that abhorrent, humiliating and depraved suffering Fate?

Unlike Butch who stopped at the door I think I would have probably made it out the door and a few feet down the sidewalk before my conscience got the better of me and made me stop and turn around and try and go save Marsellus. I couldn't leave anyone behind to suffer that fate, even someone who was going to kill me or that I hated.

#1 Posted by skywalker95 (4273 posts) - - Show Bio

No Pulp Fiction Fans?

#2 Posted by Killermovies (960 posts) - - Show Bio

What does he look like?

#3 Posted by LEGACY6364 (7441 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all.

#4 Posted by SocaJunkie (8361 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes actually, it was a smart move by Butch. If he didn’t he would have been looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life, but since he saved Marcellus, the latter was indebted to him and he gave Butch a pass.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#5 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (9285 posts) - - Show Bio

What Soca said. Plus, I hate rapist.

#6 Edited by juiceboks (24746 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't think I'd be brave enough. Also I doubt Marsellus would have gotten away from that situation with Butch so my problems with Marsellus likely would have ended there.

#7 Edited by Otsdarva999 (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. Marcellus tried to kill me (him) just minutes prior to that; although, I’d probably feel a bit guilty since my (Butch’s) actions caused the whole situation. I’d have to weigh my guilt against the idea that I’d most likely be a free man if Marcellus died during the whole incident.

#8 Posted by The_Hajduk (5970 posts) - - Show Bio

It is the right thing to do, but I don’t know if I would honestly have the heart or the nerve.

#9 Posted by mrmonster (14681 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I wouldn't. Marsellus Wallace was a ruthless mob boss, he deserved what was coming to him.

However, I would go back and kill the two men running that sadistic pawn shop. Those men were clearly serial rapists, they deserved to die as well. If I were Butch Coolidge, the pawn shop scene would have ended with 3 dead bodies and a free gimp.

#10 Edited by mrmonster (14681 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the main reason Butch saved him was because of his dad's story.

If you remember, Captain Koons explained to him how men in dire circumstances bond and become allies no matter what, like he and his dad did in Vietnam. Butch felt the same way about himself and Marsellus Wallace.

Pulp Fiction is such a well written movie.

#11 Posted by skywalker95 (4273 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: I've allways felt that was the main reason why he saved him. I think Captain koons's Words ''Hopefully, you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other'' Came to his Head just as he was about leave.

#12 Posted by skywalker95 (4273 posts) - - Show Bio

@otsdarva999: There's no Guarantee you would be a free man Though. Don't Forget, Marsellus men are looking for you.

#13 Posted by mrmonster (14681 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: I've allways felt that was the main reason why he saved him. I think Captain koons's Words ''Hopefully, you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other'' Came to his Head just as he was about leave.

Yeah, I agree. I think the best evidence for this is the watch itself; it's not just a nice watch, it's a symbol for the hardship his dad went through.

#14 Posted by skywalker95 (4273 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: That watch was Extremely Precious to him that he would seriously risk his own life to retrieve it. I don't think i could ever do that tbh. The Most funny thing is If Fabienne hadn't forgot it, Butch would never have made Amends with Marsellus and would probably still be a wanted Man. So her forgetting it actually did him a Favour.

#15 Posted by Perethorn (6289 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5bc8daab15c82
#16 Posted by deactivated-5bc8daab15c82 (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I would go back, no one deserves that.