Edited 10 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Would you have gone back to save Marsellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction? (31 votes)

Yes, I would Save the Life of Another Human Being 52%
No, He almost tried to kill me. Let Him Die 48%

let's Say you were in the Exact Situation as Butch and Marsellus were. Maynard and Zed Kidnap you both and keep you as Hostages. They Take The Big Man to the back room to have 'Their Fun With Him'. You Break Free, Knock out the Gimp and race towards the front door, Picking up the Keys. However, You Stop dead in your Tracks, and Hear the Hillbilly Psychopaths Having their Way with the Crime Boss of LA. Do you go Back armed with a Katana, Risk your Own Life and Attempt to save the Man who just tried to kill you or do you leave him to that abhorrent, humiliating and depraved suffering Fate?

Unlike Butch who stopped at the door I think I would have probably made it out the door and a few feet down the sidewalk before my conscience got the better of me and made me stop and turn around and try and go save Marsellus. I couldn't leave anyone behind to suffer that fate, even someone who was going to kill me or that I hated.

#1 Posted by skywalker95 (4724 posts) - - Show Bio

No Pulp Fiction Fans?

#2 Posted by Killermovies (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

What does he look like?

#3 Posted by LEGACY6364 (7441 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all.

#4 Posted by SocaJunkie (8632 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes actually, it was a smart move by Butch. If he didn’t he would have been looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life, but since he saved Marcellus, the latter was indebted to him and he gave Butch a pass.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#5 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (9348 posts) - - Show Bio

What Soca said. Plus, I hate rapist.

#6 Edited by juiceboks (24881 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't think I'd be brave enough. Also I doubt Marsellus would have gotten away from that situation with Butch so my problems with Marsellus likely would have ended there.

#7 Edited by Otsdarva999 (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. Marcellus tried to kill me (him) just minutes prior to that; although, I’d probably feel a bit guilty since my (Butch’s) actions caused the whole situation. I’d have to weigh my guilt against the idea that I’d most likely be a free man if Marcellus died during the whole incident.

#8 Posted by The_Hajduk (6305 posts) - - Show Bio

It is the right thing to do, but I don’t know if I would honestly have the heart or the nerve.

#9 Posted by mrmonster (15584 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I wouldn't. Marsellus Wallace was a ruthless mob boss, he deserved what was coming to him.

However, I would go back and kill the two men running that sadistic pawn shop. Those men were clearly serial rapists, they deserved to die as well. If I were Butch Coolidge, the pawn shop scene would have ended with 3 dead bodies and a free gimp.

#10 Edited by mrmonster (15584 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the main reason Butch saved him was because of his dad's story.

If you remember, Captain Koons explained to him how men in dire circumstances bond and become allies no matter what, like he and his dad did in Vietnam. Butch felt the same way about himself and Marsellus Wallace.

Pulp Fiction is such a well written movie.

#11 Posted by skywalker95 (4724 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: I've allways felt that was the main reason why he saved him. I think Captain koons's Words ''Hopefully, you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other'' Came to his Head just as he was about leave.

#12 Posted by skywalker95 (4724 posts) - - Show Bio

@otsdarva999: There's no Guarantee you would be a free man Though. Don't Forget, Marsellus men are looking for you.

#13 Posted by mrmonster (15584 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: I've allways felt that was the main reason why he saved him. I think Captain koons's Words ''Hopefully, you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other'' Came to his Head just as he was about leave.

Yeah, I agree. I think the best evidence for this is the watch itself; it's not just a nice watch, it's a symbol for the hardship his dad went through.

#14 Posted by skywalker95 (4724 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: That watch was Extremely Precious to him that he would seriously risk his own life to retrieve it. I don't think i could ever do that tbh. The Most funny thing is If Fabienne hadn't forgot it, Butch would never have made Amends with Marsellus and would probably still be a wanted Man. So her forgetting it actually did him a Favour.

#15 Posted by Perethorn (6295 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5bc8daab15c82
#16 Posted by deactivated-5bc8daab15c82 (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I would go back, no one deserves that.

#17 Posted by skywalker95 (4724 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#18 Posted by mrmonster (15584 posts) - - Show Bio

I could definitely see an argument for "Once you save him, he owes you a pass." But still, he's such an evil dude that I'm not sure it would even be worth it.

#19 Posted by skywalker95 (4724 posts) - - Show Bio

I could definitely see an argument for "Once you save him, he owes you a pass." But still, he's such an evil dude that I'm not sure it would even be worth it.

As the old saying goes- Marsellus Wallace does not look like a bitch! It'd be a bitch move for him to kill you after you've just saved him

#20 Posted by mrmonster (15584 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:

As the old saying goes- Marsellus Wallace does not look like a bitch! It'd be a bitch move for him to kill you after you've just saved him

What I meant was that even if it was for my own personal security, I'm not sure a man as evil as him would be worth saving. Of course, if my life was really on the line I might think differently, but I'd hope that I'd have the courage to leave him behind and risk whatever retribution might come.

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
#21 Posted by chicago_bastard (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but I would have used the chainsaw instead of the katana

#22 Posted by Space_Coyote (3209 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not gonna pass up a chance to kill some rapists with a samurai sword.

#23 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (910 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for chicago_bastard
#24 Posted by chicago_bastard (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostodoofus2 I wouldn't start it until I were right behind that Kevin Smith-looking guy so he wouldn't hear it in time. And Zed would be too busy to react fast enough.

#25 Posted by DSTREET45 (5280 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I might have punked out.

#26 Edited by Stormdriven (17925 posts) - - Show Bio

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. AND YOU WILL KNOW, MY NAME IS THE LORD, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Avatar image for captain_inverse
#27 Posted by captain_inverse (2354 posts) - - Show Bio

What is wrong with the majority!?

Why would anyone allow someone to be left to a fate of being beat and raped for the rest of their life???

Enemy or not, no one deserves to be left like that.

#28 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36840 posts) - - Show Bio

There is an obvious other option...I call the police from a pay phone or store phone. The police will stop the rapist and I will get word to The Big Man that I called the police. This should make us even without any risk towards myself.

#29 Posted by KingLouie (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah

#30 Posted by InvadedTBD (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta save him from the sick bastards. No man should be left to that fate.

#31 Edited by rogueshadow (29367 posts) - - Show Bio

There is an obvious other option...I call the police from a pay phone or store phone. The police will stop the rapist and I will get word to The Big Man that I called the police. This should make us even without any risk towards myself.

By the time the police get there, they'd have done all manner of perverse things to him, Wallace would be humiliated, word would get out. Plus, one of the rapists was also a cop so it might not play out to the benefit of Marsellus.

Butch going back himself to save him is different. He put himself out, he went back himself to save him. There's a certain code in that. Wallace likely felt honour bound to let him live.

#32 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36840 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: He had already been raped by the time Bruce Willis got there though.

That rapist Zed wasn’t a cop he was a security guard. But, true enough about him being outed. So I probably wouldn’t have gone back myself then. Just being honest. I just escaped a rapist hell hole and if I fail or the rapists have reinforcements I could get captured and raped.

#33 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes actually, it was a smart move by Butch. If he didn’t he would have been looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life, but since he saved Marcellus, the latter was indebted to him and he gave Butch a pass.

This.

#34 Posted by Emanresu_20 (2998 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I would have felt like shit if I just left the guy. That and now I have a powerful Allie rather than a dangerous enemy.

#35 Posted by Quinlan58 (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_inverse: He's a mob boss. He has made a business out of killing and extorting people. He's worse than those two rapists.

OT: I kill all three.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#36 Posted by christianrapper (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

This.

how would he be looking over his shoulder the rest of his life? wallace would have been killed in the most humiliating way. the only reason people were going after butch was because of wallace. with him dead his problems are over. gangsters aren't going to go after butch after wallace is killed and raped.

#37 Posted by Spambot (9439 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya, its kind of hard to say Marcellus is somehow a better person than Zed. Zed rapes people. Marcellus has them killed and extorts from others. If Zed deserved death then so did Marcellus.

Avatar image for captain_inverse
#38 Posted by captain_inverse (2354 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: Sure, cept he's still human....Mia would be the one to ultimately get hurt in the end (being all that remains of his syndicate)... On top of the trauma of not knowing what happened to her husband. Plus, in the end Marcellus would have to be the one to pull the contract on Butch. But personally I couldn't leave anyone to spend the remainder of their life like that.

#39 Posted by Laurus (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, if they were just going to kill him quickly then no probably not. But they weren't.