Would you be okay with it if Batman was played by a black guy?

• 133 results
solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll Would you be okay with it if Batman was played by a black guy? (107 votes)

Yes 37%
No 63%

I would, as long as Idris Elba played him. And no, that's not a joke, he'd be excellent and I don't think Batman's race really matters.

• 
mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

No. Dark Skin wouldn’t look good in an all black costume which is usually what they go with in Batman movies. If they went blue and grey like in the comics it might work.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SC  Moderator

People are ok with Batman being played by a black person, but they would lose it if Black Panther was played by a white person. Gotta love the hypocrisy of Modern Society.

Its almost as if being black is an integral aspect of both Black Panthers fictional narrative and his real world popularity and relevance and being white is neither of those for Batman.

Then because Marvel and DC comics, have traditionally been dominated by white characters since their beginnings, and a large percentage have always been white, when black characters were introduced, their ethnicity has been a little bit more important to their character within the story, and out of the story as well. Generally speaking. I mean, there are some black characters who could probably be changed to white without really affecting who they are too much, character wise or popularity wise.

Alternatively, white characters who heavily interact with non white characters, could be white characters, whose whiteness is important to their character. Iron Fist? Best friend is Luke Cage, been involved with Misty Knight, is surrounded by a lot of Asian, Black and Latino characters. An aspect of those interactions and relationships, is that Danny is white, creates odd couplings, contrast. Cyclops? His being a white guy, actually somewhat defines him in X-Men, and his relationships. Not really to the same extent as Black Panther, but way more than say Batman.

So better comparisons, would be like... if they made Superman a human born on Earth with human genes. So they made him... Man... being an alien, from Krypton, who is superhuman and super ethical are the qualities that are emphasized, important and popular in vanilla Superman. Batman, its generally being bat themed, rich, extremely dedicated, loss of his parents, anticrime. I mean some of the details can argued around. Hell, one could even argue that, whilst not as important, Batman being white is somewhat important to the character, in the sense, that Bruce Wayne is supposed to be privileged and rich, and from an old school New York setting aka Gotham, and from old money and and Bruce Wayne's status is important, as to contrast with Batman's psychology... but come on... lets not pretend that his being white is as integral or important to the character as it is to characters like Black Panther, Storm, or Luke Cage.

Context you know.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn’t mind.

But that’s just being lazy. Why don’t we come up with original black characters instead ?

Also, there is a better Batman that exists. That’s the Black Panther.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No for the same reason why I wouldn't want someone white playing Luke Cage.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56 the_stegman  Moderator

Only if it's Idris Elba. I say this unironically.

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being white is pretty irrelevant to his character. But he is batman, he is an icon, and he happens to be white so I don't think that should change.

That said I would still watch a movie with him in it if he is black. It would feel a little different, because we don't live in a vacuum where race has no effect, but I wouldn't be upset or anything.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@king-ragnar said:

People are ok with Batman being played by a black person, but they would lose it if Black Panther was played by a white person. Gotta love the hypocrisy of Modern Society.

I get the sentiment, but this is a terrible example. Black Panther's race is relevant to his character, hence why changing the race of the character wouldn't work. You're better off using someone like Blade as an example, not someone who literally has "black" in their name and is the king of an African nation with racial and political undertones.

To answer the original question:

1. I generally prefer characters to remain their original race. Unless there's a story reason (I think Magneto should be black for example), I don't see the point in changing how a character has been recognised for decades, especially a character as big as Batman.
  2. That said, since I'm struggling to think of who could replace Affleck, if you proposed a great black actor who could play Batman, I might recognised, but that's highly unlikely.
  3. If you want more diversity, the solution is to introduce and create more black characters, not to change the race of pre-existing characters.
  4. If they did, I wouldn't boycott or protest against it. If the movie is good, it's good. If I love it, I love it.
anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

Please let's not compare racism against white people to racism against black people. It's not okay. Just because someone says "all white ppl are the same" suddenly it's as bad as the genocides and the general every day crimes black people endure every day? Esspecially if we're talking America.

As for Batman,

@jayc1324 said:

Being white is pretty irrelevant to his character. But he is batman, he is an icon, and he happens to be white so I don't think that should change.

That said I would still watch a movie with him in it if he is black. It would feel a little different, because we don't live in a vacuum where race has no effect, but I wouldn't be upset or anything.

This, more or less.

joshua755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By King-Ragnar

@sc: @theamazingspidey:

I get the sentiment, but this is a terrible example. Black Panther's race is relevant to his character, hence why changing the race of the character wouldn't work. You're better off using someone like Blade as an example, not someone who literally has "black" in their name and is the king of an African nation with racial and political undertones.

Its almost as if being black is an integral aspect of both Black Panthers fictional narrative and his real world popularity and relevance and being white is neither of those for Batman.

If race is irrelevant for some characters, then why did everyone hate on The Last Airbender for "white washing"? Don't get me wrong the move was complete and utter trash, but Aang being either black or white has zero relevancy to his character (And all Avatar characters for the matter), so why did everyone lose their minds when white people were cast to play them? Yet at the same time, if someone of color was playing him, no one would have said anything. If race has zero relevancy to do with Blades character and someone other than Wesley Snipes (Who's white) was cast to play him, how do you think society would react? That's right, society wouldn't accept it and they would boycott the movie, even tho Blade's character has zero relevance to his character.

Tenguswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight would have another meaning...

OT: I don't really care, I guess it would be a bit weird at first though.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Nucleon

@phisigmatau said:

Im black and I wouldn't be ok with it.

we don't need the bone you think you throwin us by having your formerly white characters become black.

Storm is black. Blade is Black. Bishop is Black. I like those characters and whily their ethnicity doesn't make them it adds to their aura that they were able to establish and maintain popularity because they are good characters. Not because of some gimmick.

ps Captain Falcon America, I'm cool with it make sense since that is a TITLE unlike Characters like Thor, Hulk etc

This. Bruce Wayne is white, damn it. He's old money, establishment. His familly had the typical course of rich white colonials. This change appears cosmetics but it throws his story overboard. Same thing if they wanted to make a woman out of Batman, BTW. Asian Black Panther, anyone?

I am okay with a black or female Batman as long as this Batman isn't Bruce Wayne - and since we're there, the Wayne character isn't so extraordinary that we have to adapt it to everything contemporary; we can easily create legacy characters or brand new ones who will be their own, and make them black, women or homosexuals there and then.

ManEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 268

#65  Edited By ManEl

I would be absolutely okay with it as long as it was clear from the outset that this was an alternate reality Batman, maybe from the Earth where Superman is black and the President of the US.

Otherwise, no. It is completely unnecessary and would serve no purpose other than appeasing the SJW crowd.

As someone else commented earlier on this thread, if it's an African-American, Batman-like chracter you are looking for, either tap some of the already existing but mostly unused characters which already exist, or create a new character who is African-American from the get-go.

And yes, I agree, it would be extremely weird for Batman to change race. It would be as weird and bizarre as if Luke Cage suddenly became a WASP, or a politically incorrect white boy from South of the Mason-Dixon line.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Nucleon

@heatforce: MCU Asgard is multi-racial.

Yeah, and it doesn't make much sense, unless Asgard is somekind of space port for cosmic immigration. Something as old as Asgard would have a more or less homogenous population, like Brazilians (most beautiful people in the world, IMO) have, unless the blacks, asian and white Asgardians kept among themselves in ghettoes for millenias, which, ironically, is far more segregationist.

But still, the result is rather pleasant to the eye and not enough to make a fuss about it either way.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SC  Moderator

Its always going to be easy to evade, reject or dismiss a point by citing other examples and then asking "what about those huh" and they may even be legitimate, but they are also conversations on their own. I am willing to have that conversation though, because I think your examples are interesting.

Generally speaking, making arguments based on "them", "they", "people", "everyone", is clumsy. It assumes everyone agrees about that quantity, and that the ideas and arguments of that quantity are the same or even similar. I mean, why did everyone hate Avengers Infinity War? Thanos's plan was universally adored. Why did everyone lose their minds when Hulk didn't appear more?

Except not everyone is going to agree with those statements/rhetorical questions. Some individuals might, on some of them, and some individuals may dispute the validity of whether such broad statements are even generally true.

Like I don't remember that much actual criticism being leveled at Aang for being light skinned, I remember it was mostly aimed at Katara and Sokka, and the Waterbending nation. Thats not to say there was absolutely nobody criticizing Aang's casting choice, but lets not conflate the merit of different arguments. Also the reason why some people were critical, is because Avatar the Last Airbender's nations are influenced and based off real life geographic locations and peoples. Cultures and customs. For many fans of the show, such diversity was nice and a very appealing factor of the show and its world building. Something casting choices could have reflected as a strength. Not everyone mind you, you don't seem to care, which is fine, but I reject the notion that Aang or other ATLA characters ethnicity are interchangeable or irrelevant. Even if I didn't particularly care, to know some of the fanbase and why ATLA was popular, it should be understood. The same way I understand why some people would have feel off about having a black Batman, even if I would personally be fine with say Idris Elba.

I didn't make the Blade argument myself, but I can touch on it. Character wise, I don't think his characters skin color is that relevant or viral to the character. However like Black Panther, the real world popularity and relevance of the character and why he resonates with fan, might be. Character wise, in comics, Wolverine being Canadian is a pretty big part of his identity (or at least history), but not necessarily the characters broader popularity, to the mainstream. If prior to the X-Men movies release, they decided to make him American instead... you'd probably get some complaints, but a lot of people would roll with it and or not know/care. So there are two general ways to think about this. This is generally why we probably won't see any significantly popular white characters changed anytime soon, not because of racism, but how and why people resonate and relate. On an intuitive level, though, how people intuitively register and react changes over time on an individual level and societal level.

In the future, if we had a hundred more mainstream black protagonists and famous and iconic black actors, and non white people were generally better represented in media, having a white woman or an Asian woman playing Blade probably won't cause that much outrage. Also, generally, that angle of argument is muddy anyway, "society" rejected a blond James Bond, some people wanted to boycott Mad Max Fury Road, some people wanted to boycott the female Ghostbusters, their can be good reasons and bad reasons to want to boycott and or be "outraged" or "critical" over a movie. Right now, society might be heavily opposed to a white Blade, but again, lets not pretend its for the exact same reasons as they would if Black Panther was made white or Batman was made black. Different characters, different context, different reasons apply.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SC  Moderator

Here's another way to consider it. Between three options, would you rather have A. Idris Elba play Batman in a movie. B. Adam Sandler play Batman in a movie. C. Veto that particular movie.

A. Kevin Hart play Batman in a movie. B. Jon Hamm play Batman in a movie. C. Veto that particular movie.

A. The Rock play Batman in a movie. B. Luke Evans play Batman in a movie. C. Veto that particular movie.

A. Kevin Hart play Black Panther in a movie. B. Luke Evans play Black Panther in a movie. C. Veto that particular movie.

For many people, Idris Elba is fine to play Batman. Sure he's not white, but he carries a lot of what qualities those people associate with Batman. Qualities that Adam Sandler, The Rock and Kevin Hart don't. If you'd the type of person to veto all those movies on its premise, thats fine. The big point here is... Idris Elba playing Batman... is not the same as Luke Evans playing Black Panther, nor Kevin Hart or Adam Sandler playing either character. For some peoples personal preference it might be, but as far as nuance, educated understanding of society and culture, and people, its simply more complicated.

Vulkanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for crawlerwing_night
CrawlerWing_Night

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not inherently, but it would completely change the character. Wayne comes from “old money,” meaning the Wayne’s have been wealthy since the earliest days of Gotham, and essentially America. To keep up with that theme, he pretty much has to be white. I don’t really care if he is black, but you’d have to make him a different character alltogether.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By DeathandGrim

The Idris Elba Meme will never die it seems

But he could play Batwing.

And speaking as a black dude, imo race swapping is trash. It's acknowledging the problem yet not solving it.

No black character in the source Material? Should we create a new one and give real representation and a jumping on point to black readers or should we change a pre-established character to black for this one and only time? It also ignorantly assumes that we aren't fans of characters who are white or non-black like Jimmy Olsen. I think Jimmy is a lovable goof and a decent character and just fine the way he is. Supergirl writers didn't think so I guess.

It feels like yelling at walls at this point but I still feel it important to keep repeating Just make new characters. It's very weird and annoying that Bendis, someone I despise, is the only one who understands that a new character serves as a less controversial means of representation than ripping an older pre-established character from their fans, changing who that character is, and saying "muh diversity bruh." And if they're not going to make newer characters, just give up and coming newblood writers a shot to make new characters.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Only if it's Idris Elba. I say this unironically.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathandGrim2:
2 blk folk in the thread and for the most part we're ignored. We're letting everyone know, NO THANKS but they're ignoring us. Like you said its addressing the problem but not fixing it. If anything making it worse.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SC  Moderator
Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't care.

But I do have a question: Is Martha Wayne Jewish?

rem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no reason for it to be honest.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I’m okay with racial grey areas like this. My only concern here is the jet black cowl with the white chin is so iconic. That’s why black Iron Man or Spider-Man works fine. A black cowl with a black chin? Would look odd, maybe the grey suit to be more aesthetically appealing?

Nitpicking stuff probably, but as far as black Bruce Wayne I have no issue with that. Hey, we can finally do away with that stupid eye-black stuff, so that’s a plus.

MrClarky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MrClarky1
Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

If its not Bruce Wayne and someone taking up his mantle, sure why not.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrclarky1: how many pure bred Africans are white? South Africans dont count whatsoever & the population of white africans in western africa is less that 1%

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

@phisigmatau: Are you boycotting the Aquaman movie?

i guess I am... but thats because I find Aquaman a LAMER
I didn't watch aquaman the same reason I didnt watch....ww, dr strange, antmans and many more.. I didn't like the comic book characters.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Gracetrack

FUN FACT: There are actually millions of white Africans. Most of them are located in South Africa, but they are scattered throughout other countries of Africa as well.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SC  Moderator

@sc said:

@phisigmatau: Are you boycotting the Aquaman movie?

i guess I am... but thats because I find Aquaman a LAMER

I didn't watch aquaman the same reason I didnt watch....ww, dr strange, antmans and many more.. I didn't like the comic book characters.

Well thats consistent at least. Thanks for the answer.

I'm Polynesian, generally even less represented in mainstream media, even more 'ignored' (for good reasons, we are a very small population relatively speaking) and I haven't seen Aquaman yet either, and I don't really care that Aquaman was played by a Polynesian actor, at the same time, I don't feel insulted, and I am not against the casting or movie. If folk want to see and enjoy that version of Aquaman, and they seem to, then cool. Thats just how some people feel about the potential of a movie with a black actor playing Batman. Its not necessarily to dismiss the concerns of black people or invalidate how they feel about the situation, usually just what they are okay with.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: yup,
thanks for your input. Minorities aren't obligated to feel any which way.
I mean no one cared that Aquaman was polynesian because frankly no one liked Aquaman before this movie lol. He was a punchline.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they’re valuing race over character, then no.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't tear my hair out or anything but it would be stupid. Batman isn't black and never has been. While we're at it why don't we, just for diversity's sake make Black Panther, Luke Cage, and Storm Asian?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
deactivated-5ca9389143922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if it's Chris Rock

WorldofRuin6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is a white character. I'm no racist, but this would kinda throw of the character for me.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Alternatively, white characters who heavily interact with non white characters, could be white characters, whose whiteness is important to their character. Iron Fist? Best friend is Luke Cage, been involved with Misty Knight, is surrounded by a lot of Asian, Black and Latino characters. An aspect of those interactions and relationships, is that Danny is white, creates odd couplings, contrast. Cyclops? His being a white guy, actually somewhat defines him in X-Men, and his relationships. Not really to the same extent as Black Panther, but way more than say Batman.

So better comparisons, would be like... if they made Superman a human born on Earth with human genes. So they made him... Man... being an alien, from Krypton, who is superhuman and super ethical are the qualities that are emphasized, important and popular in vanilla Superman. Batman, its generally being bat themed, rich, extremely dedicated, loss of his parents, anticrime. I mean some of the details can argued around. Hell, one could even argue that, whilst not as important, Batman being white is somewhat important to the character, in the sense, that Bruce Wayne is supposed to be privileged and rich, and from an old school New York setting aka Gotham, and from old money and and Bruce Wayne's status is important, as to contrast with Batman's psychology... but come on... lets not pretend that his being white is as integral or important to the character as it is to characters like Black Panther, Storm, or Luke Cage.

Context you know.

I respectfully disagree. I'd argue that Bruce Wayne's race is just as integral to his origins as T'Challa's race is to his own. Mind you, I don't want to see either of them changed.

Bruce Wayne's family tree is pretty well defined, with Scottish and French roots that go back to the time of The Crusades. Some of his descendants even helped traffic freed slaves in the underground railroad movement. If we were to trace Bruce's line (as it is currently written) all the way to the present day, I'd wager the historical plausibility that he could be black is about as plausible as the idea that T'Challa could be white. Which is to say that neither is very plausible.

If they wanted to make Bruce Wayne a black man... or an Asian man, or a Latino, etc... they would need to make some pretty substantial changes to his origins in order to allow for that. It's his family's history, shaped in no small part by their whiteness and the time/place in which they lived (i.e. context, you know), which brought his parents and Bruce himself to their high-ranking position in Gotham.

dirtytree332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it adds to the stealth aspect then sure.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUN FACT: There are actually millions of white Africans. Most of them are located in South Africa, but they are scattered throughout other countries of Africa as well.

They're also much present in the North, Mediteranean regions like the Mahgreb.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 SC  Moderator

@phisigmatau: Oh some people did care about Aquaman being changed, a few were even on CV. and whilst Batman is a lot more popular, that doesn't necessarily make him universally beloved or that those who show interest are that invested in his ethnicity. Alternatively, people might be against the casting, like they were with Ledgers Joker (for different reasons) but then they come around.

SolidShadow134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

turning batman black is one of the most retarded ideas yet

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 SC  Moderator

Bruce Wayne's family tree is pretty well defined, with Scottish and French roots that go back to the time of The Crusades. Some of his descendants even helped traffic freed slaves in the underground railroad movement. If we were to trace Bruce's line (as it is currently written) all the way to the present day, I'd wager the historical plausibility that he could be black is about as plausible as the idea that T'Challa could be white. Which is to say that neither is very plausible.

If they wanted to make Bruce Wayne a black man... or an Asian man, or a Latino, etc... they would need to make some pretty substantial changes to his origins in order to allow for that. It's his family's history, shaped in no small part by their whiteness and the time/place in which they lived (i.e. context, you know), which brought his parents and Bruce himself to their high-ranking position in Gotham.

Sure, on individual levels, we could all make arguments that pertain to various characters translation to other media and what is and what isn't integral. Even when it comes to the ongoing comic and presence of a character, such varying views. Personally, I have always been a "Bruce Wayne should be Batman not Dick Grayson" reader, but I wasn't against the era when Dick Grayson was Batman, I didn't think it would be permanent, so I enjoyed it for what it was, and lets say my assumption was wrong? I wouldn't be too personally bothered.

In the context of a movie, Bruce Wayne's family tree doesn't have to matter as much, and or it would be extremely easy to modify. One of the prior Wayne's who we have established were friendly to the ideas of racial equality, because they helped free slaves, also couldn't produce children, so they adopted a child who happened to be black, because of their outstanding dedication and loyalty. This now, you have a black Wayne. None of this even needs to exist in the movie, if it doesn't seem necessary to explain, but for al those that want to preserve the Wayne family heritage or legacy, there you go. Could even be in a special comic book tie in prologue. So very plausible.

You could so something similar with Black Panther, in fact, Black Panther in comics has a white brother, Hunter aka the White Wolf. Contrary to some arguments, within the in story narrative, we could easily have a white Black Panther or white T'Challa, in fiction, anything is possible, how much 'sense' it makes depends on the skills of the story tellers. Guess what, some of those story tellers made a lot of us find a huge 15 billion year old purple man giant credible. The actual reason why a white Black Panther is unlikely, is because the story tellers of such a movie, have to consider why they want a white Black Panther, what are the reasons? How will the reaction be? Will this improve or lessen the narrative? Is there a likable, popular, white actor that can pull it off? Can the movie be so good, that even if its an unknown white actor, this will make people like them? These questions exist for a black Batman as well, just the answers to such questions might be different. Also he reception to such answers might be different.

How much substantial changes are necessary also such a question, for some people like myself, Bruce Wayne, shown in a big mansion in Gotham is enough. I can appreciate more effort and detail going into a setting, but usually don't expect that much from comic book movies. Personally I am more bothered by details like Batman's attitude towards killing. I imagine that a lot of people aren't though, so ultimately its a balancing act of sorts.

Oh, by the way, I appreciate how you opened up your reply, its classy, my apologies if anything above sounds snarky, or sarcastic, thats just how i kind of sound when I thinking and typing in a hurry. I like the points you made.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 SC  Moderator

I wouldn't tear my hair out or anything but it would be stupid. Batman isn't black and never has been. While we're at it why don't we, just for diversity's sake make Black Panther, Luke Cage, and Storm Asian?

Having a black Batman doesn't have to be done for diversity sake though. Its also not the worst reason, if everything else about the change works with the story. Also are you also boycotting Aquaman? Aquaman is a really good case study around this issue, because instead of a white blonde guy, we have gotten a brown Polynesian guy. Both are a bit American. A lot of people don't like this change, a lot of people didn't ask for this change, but also a lot of people don't seem to mind, and just ended up enjoying the character and the movie.

Also your rhetorical questions have been asked and answered many, many, many times. Black Panther being black is more vital to his character, within the narrative and for meta reasons. Storm is an interesting case, arguably her being an ethnic minority is more relevant than her being strictly African/American, so she could potentially be Asian, or Polynesian, within the narrative, (also she has mixed, so she could be black and Asian, still works) but the meta reasonings might not fit as comfortably.

Why is Martin Luther King Jr more well known and popular than James Zwerg? Or alternatively why isn't James Zwerg known as much as Rosa Parks? Also, why don't people ask those rhetorical question more? Is it really just a matter of context? Or are black people just secretly racist and white people having a persecution and guilt complex? Its not a common rhetorical question, Martin Luther King achieved more, and the fact that he was black, would have resonated with black people and other people too. Also not simple just because he was black either, again context.

So back to Storm, when you mentioned the idea of her being Asian, it reminded me, that in earlier X-Men comics, their were pretty big hints she was at least bisexual, back in the 80's. Her relationship with a character Yukio. When the X-Men movies with Storm have come out... have we seen Storm smacking lips with woman? Not that I remember, but Storm being bisexual isn't as integral to her character as say it is for Northstar.

Just like different characters have different powers, powerlevels, different moral alignments, different ethnicities, sexualities, some of those traits are more important per character than others.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Spambot

I don't think it really matters whether he is black, white or Asian. We've had like 6 movie Batmen at this point. If they want to go in another direction it would prob make him more interesting to movie goers at this point.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc:

I honestly do see your point here.

I didn't really see there being THAT much of a distinction with Aquaman since...yeah...he's always been Caucasian but he's also been half "alien" for want of a better term. His ethnicity hasn't been quite so ingrained. He could very well have been blue if the right Atlantean has been involved. If that makes any sense.

As for Storm. I read the comics at the time Yukio was introduced and I'm FAR from homophobic but I never got the sense that there was anything sexual or romantic going on between them. I've heard similar comments and have gone back and read them and still don't see it or think it was intended. On the other hand I think it hurts nothing if people interpret it that way.

As for her ethnicity, no, other than her being a "black icon" (which not only do I not think is a bad thing, I actually think is a good and needed thing these days) I don't think it would actually hurt her character to be bi or even multi racial. As some are talking about with Batman, it could make the story more "interesting". I'm being facetious here.

Yes, I completely agree about Black Panther I was using absurdist humor there. I thought it was obvious but I guess I need to do a better job next time. :)

Point is, Batman is not a B (some might even consider Aquaman C list) character who few people are all that in love with or have much investment in, Batman is. Making that significant a change to him would not go over well, it would be roughly like the garbage they were talking about doing in the 80's and having Bill Murray play him (no I'm not kidding).

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: I find this thread, or rather the responses in it, puzzling (for lack of a better word). Over the years, I've seen SO MANY complaints when it comes to the non-comic iterations of characters vs. their comic counterparts. Whether it be their gear, resources, abilities, skill, intelligence, personality, costume, height, build, hair color (not even joking), gender, race, etc. fans always picked apart and pointed out if it was inaccurate in any measure. Yet here we are in a thread where many users are claiming they'd be fine with a Black Batman lol.

Personally, I wouldn't want one. I'd happily take Blade, Static, John Stewart, Blue Marvel, or Spawn though. Particularly those last 2 lol.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 SC  Moderator

@heroup2112: Thanks, I appreciate you saying that.

It also probably helps that Aquaman being played by Jason Momoa "snuck up" on everyone... there were more exciting or newsworthy topics to talk about, the fact that there would be a Justice League movie, that there was finally a Batman vs Superman movie, people criticizing and discussing Batman's casting, Wonder Woman's casting, the exclusion of Martian Manhunter, the addition of Cyborg. Imagine if 8 years ago, a single thread on CV around making Aquaman brown existed? How do you think reactions would have been? I've been at CV a while (makes me feel old haha) and most of the time people cast an actor to play him potentially, they were all white blonde guys... and thats fine, nothing wrong with that... some guy even made a thread that it should be Michael Phelps. I also find it a lil bit funny, most casting picked a blonde actor... even though changing hair color for an actor should be pretty easy...

If an actual good Batman movie happened, actor happened to be black, and you happened to really enjoy it, in ten years, would you look back and think... yeah but he should have been white! Or would you look back and think... I was skeptical at first, but to my surprise, the character and movie ended up being good. Also yeah the bit about Aquaman being blue makes sense, to me at least, but and I suspect you know this too, to many fans it wouldn't be okay, because they want a blonde white Aquaman. I mean, I know there are some Thor fans who hate that the movies don't have him in his helmut more. I'm not one of them, but I don't judge them either. I am a huge fan of Valkyrie, and my general preference for the movies would have been a white and blonde version, more akin to the actual character, but even though thats my personal preference, I still enjoyed Tessa Thompson Valkyrie and I really liked Thor Ragnarok. I didn't reject, hate or boycott the movie just because my preference wasn't catered to.

Its okay, I definitely know you are not homophobic, in Off Topic you are very kind, cordial and respectful to LGBQT folks, which is great, and I wish more CV users had your tact and grace and all around general compassion to people in general. It could just be how you read Chris Claremont. There was a ton of contextual writing I missed when I was younger, that I picked up later. Also you know, the whole Comics Code Authority thing was kind of a big roadblock... to put it in perspective, Northstar's coming out issue, was in 1992. Thats when writers were allowed to put that so blatantly. Lost in the Funhouse, what I personally consider one of the more blatant examples of being sexually or romantically interested in or curious about Yukio, was in 1987. That issue was the one where all the X-Men had their deepest desires (at the time) realized by a powerful cosmic entity, it dealt a lot with the characters psychologies and repressed feelings and doubts. Storm wanted to spend it with Yukio being naughty and free. Dialogue like... "I didn't know how to laugh before her", "in many ways I have never been as happy since her", "I want to join her" and then Storm, like Wolverine did break free, but then Storm ultimately, like the other X-Men gave in to temptation.

On the other hand, if you go to Yukio's wikipedia page, it doesn't have in big bold letters that she was in a bisexual relationship with Storm, so it does not surprise me that many people won't consider Storm or Yukio bisexual, but its Claremont... after 1992 he was more blatant with his LGBQT subtext, I can't remember if with Storm specifically, but like I was trying to explain before, Storm being bisexual wasn't really a huge vital aspect of the character. Her romantic relationships with male characters are way more iconic, popular and blatant.

I agree Batman and Aquaman aren't/weren't on the same level of popularity, and I know it wouldn't go over well with a lot of people, and I know its not necessarily because they are racist. However just like racism, (and many variables, that are neutral or positive) peoples intuitive comfort around certain changes, change over time. We know societal attitudes towards race/ethnicity change over time. The further back we go, the more concerned and suspicious people as groups were towards each other. Society didn't just stand up and consciously decide to be more tolerant. We know that technology plays an interesting role here in humans intuitive processes and attitudes. For every young person that is loosely aware that comic book Aquaman is a white blond guy and movie Aquaman is a brown Polynesian guy, you have someone who could ask, well why did they make that change? Both characters are great... maybe his skin color and hair color aren't the reason he is specifically great? You now have a young person who is much more okay with a black Batman but also without creating a false dichotomy that therefore its also okay to change Black Panther.

Another low level popular character, but look at Nick Fury in the movies? We are both old enough to remember a lot of people weren't happy with that casting. I know some black people that weren't happy about that casting. I am a big fan of original white 616 Nick Fury, I think it was kind of lame when they tried to introduce a black Nick Fury into 616 comics, and I can't really remember any story lines he has been in... and maybe some of them are amazing, and I just need to give them a chance, but just think about how many people are okay with a black Nick Fury. I imagine there are still some people who aren't happy sure... but in ten years that number will be less... in 20 years even less... Arguably, at the moment, the financial risk of having a black Batman, isn't as great as some believe it is, because the people who aren't okay with it, simply aren't as great as the people who don't mind/care (even if some prefer a more traditional take) ditto to myself and Thor Ragnorak.