Would you be okay with it if Batman was played by a black guy?

• 133 results
solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll Would you be okay with it if Batman was played by a black guy? (107 votes)

Yes 37%
No 63%

I would, as long as Idris Elba played him. And no, that's not a joke, he'd be excellent and I don't think Batman's race really matters.

• 
Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Maybe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure go ahead

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Smith play him then I am OK.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Via a different universe? Sure. Could be an interesting story.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't matter to me either way.

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mister_Surreal

Yup. Inb4 racists.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If he can pull it off with great acting then why not

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it could actually be pretty cool if they got the right actor

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sure.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King-Ragnar

People are ok with Batman being played by a black person, but they would lose it if Black Panther was played by a white person. Gotta love the hypocrisy of Modern Society.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im black and I wouldn't be ok with it.
we don't need the bone you think you throwin us by having your formerly white characters become black.
Storm is black. Blade is Black. Bishop is Black. I like those characters and whily their ethnicity doesn't make them it adds to their aura that they were able to establish and maintain popularity because they are good characters. Not because of some gimmick.

ps Captain Falcon America, I'm cool with it make sense since that is a TITLE unlike Characters like Thor, Hulk etc

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar: It's really not the same thing. Bruce Wayne's race character was never a major component to his character (granted, given his family history which is connected to his massive wealth and resources, a writer would either have to keep him white or change his family's past).

However, T'Challa's race is a defining characteristic of who he is. It'd be the same if a character was a Viking or a Shaolin monk

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no i wouldnt because the character itself is not black so what is the point. Proving its not racism? Well to clear some things up, i would not be ok if Black panther was played by white guy, i would not be ok if Blade was played by white guy.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IndomitableRegal

No. Not at all. I'm never okay with race/gender/sexual orientation switching just for the sake of doing it, and I hate the generic response "we picked the person that was best for the role". I call BS on that. You want to include Black actors? Cool. How about using more Black characters then? -_-

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not at all. I'm never okay with race/gender/sexual orientation switching just for the sake of doing it, and I hate the generic response "we picked the person that was best for the role". I call BS on that. You want to include Black actors? Cool. How about using more Black characters then? -_-

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By King-Ragnar

@reactor: I'm not talking about the charcter, I'm talking about portraying a character as he's been drawn for the past 70+ years. Then by the same logic you're going by (no offence intended), it would be fine to cast white actors to play Blade and Luke Cage.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar: well Black panther is an AFRICAN king in a fictional AFRICAN nation ..... just say you dont like black people playing white roles & go

InvadedTBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m black and see this as very unnecessary.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar: @supermanforever:

The difference between this and Black Panther is that BP’s race is a defining characteristic for the character since he’s meant to be African.

OT: Bruce’s race doesn’t actually matter storywise tbh, but as a black guy I have to say, it would be extremely weird if we saw a black Batman. I personally think it’d be better if we just stuck with white dudes, but if they really felt like a black guy would be the best choice, well then I guess they could go that direction too. Could be interesting in a way tbh.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 juiceboks  Moderator

Why not just use Batwing?

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By King-Ragnar

@darkonast: I have no problem nor do i hate Black Panther, I have a problem with hypocrisy.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So long as there’s a reasonable explanation like he’s an Elsworld version (different Earth) of Batman, I’m down

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccthor: idiris elba and will smith are good choices.

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By huthimamwa

Are we talking about a black guy playing a new character who is Batman? Or casting a black guy as Bruce Wayne?

It matters for me for some reason. I'd be okay with a black Batman. A different character playing the role of the Bat. But for some reason it would seem...off for Bruce Wayne to be black for seemingly no reason.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

@king-ragnar: It's really not the same thing. Bruce Wayne's race character was never a major component to his character (granted, given his family history which is connected to his massive wealth and resources, a writer would either have to keep him white or change his family's past).

However, T'Challa's race is a defining characteristic of who he is. It'd be the same if a character was a Viking or a Shaolin monk

MCU Asgard is multi-racial.

MCU Ancient one is a white woman

Morgatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, for the same reason I don't want Luke Cage to be played by a white guy.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Idc about Batman and I got used to the trend of race swapping to appease oppressed crybabies

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531dce659a2
deactivated-5c531dce659a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it confuses me how people want the same exact replica of the comic over and over. Like doesn't it get old? You've seen the same Spiderman/Batman for decades. Who cares if the movies try something new.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vummax: no issue just have the mantel pass naturally or have the movie take place on a different earth. Problem solved.

ThunderPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morgatu said:

No, for the same reason I don't want Luke Cage to be played by a white guy.

This and I say that as a Black guy myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531dce659a2
deactivated-5c531dce659a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: I'm fine with that too, like the MCU is its own thing so I don't care if Tony creates Ultron or if Spiderman isn't a photographer. If that makes sense. I don't mind changes especially if it's not even the main universe like 616 or N52.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BatmanPlusJay

No. It'll look weird af and it just won't be the same. Just keep the canonically black characters black, and keep the canonically white characters white.

Changing the race of a well known character is like making them gay even though they've always been straight. While it might not change much, there's no reason to switch shit up that doesn't need to be switched up. Cause ik for a fact if they made black panther or Luke cage white or Asian everybody would lose their shit.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar: thats not hypocrisy, how can a white man play a character who was created soley as an African king in an african nation? There arent white people in western africa (which wakanda is based on) whereas Batman’s story is not exclusive to color , now would I want a black Batman? Hell no but if it somehow possibly happened I would not go on a crybaby tirade like half of comicvine did when they found out Wally West & Iris West became black... its never that serious

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOA_501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By YOA_501

No, It’s just to weird, it's not racism it's just common sense, just like i don't want a white guy playing Blade.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar: A white actor can play Luke Cage and Blade.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorb777: They can, but it'll be weird and bring absolutely nothing to the table. Like what is the point of changing characteristics of a character just for the sake of doing it? Imagine if a sloth played bugs bunny, it may not mean anything but it'll be weird and completely unnecessary.

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KingOfWakanda

We already have Black Batman. His name is T'Challa.

Let Bruce be white, his color doesn't matter to me, I just hate the "let's have 'insert historically black character' played by a white guy" argument and it's one I'd rather never see again.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I don't see why not.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't lose my sleep over it or anything like this, I just wouldn't see the point in a move like this.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we talking about a black guy playing a new character who is Batman? Or casting a black guy as Bruce Wayne?

It matters for me for some reason. I'd be okay with a black Batman. A different character playing the role of the Bat. But for some reason it would seem...off for Bruce Wayne to be black for seemingly no reason.

Pretty much, but there'd have to be some plot related distinction between Bruce Wayne Batman and this Batman. If they name him something different, but keep the Bruce Wayne story i'd be just as annoyed. Basically, I wouldn't mind a batwing movie lol

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rogueshadow  Moderator

All things being equal I say you should just leave characters as they are in terms of race. But if they did, I wouldn't boycott or anything.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All things being equal I say you should just leave characters as they are in terms of race. But if they did, I wouldn't boycott or anything.

This.

It really depends on the transition for me. If changing Bruce Wayne to a black guy is the only choice or if it's a natural transition, go ahead. If it's filled with SJW nonsense, I might complain a lot but not to the point of throwing a riot or anything.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanplusjay: There are racist people on this site waiting to say racist things, unless you don’t agree.

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yoa_501: Blade is there to be badaass but also racial add racial diversity. Not a really comparable example.

Aka_aka_aka_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would bother me about as much as if they made Bruce blonde, so it wouldn't bother me if they had good reasons for it

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

Changing things just for the sake of diversity and nothing else is pointless.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: MCU Asgardians aren't Vikings. They're inspired by the heavily-reimagined Marvel Comics iteration of Norse mythology. And the Ancient One was, iirc, a Tibetan monk in the Himalayas, and not associated with the Shaolin (even so, that casting caused immediate criticism, if you'll recall).I

More applicable to my point, imagine a movie about Ip Man where he's played by Dolph Lundgren, or the Vikings series where Ragner Lothbrok was played by Denzel Washington? It might be well acted a s well written, but do you imagine no one would have legitimate complaint about the casting?