Would the DCEU be better or worse if it were more like the MCU?

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll Would the DCEU be better or worse if it were more like the MCU? (30 votes)

Better 47%
Worse 53%

In my opinion, it would mostly be better.

However, characters like Batman should remain dark. The Marvel formula would work well for many of DC's heroes, such as Superman, Shazam and (especially) Green Lantern.

• 
Avatar image for rudebomberboy01
RudeBomberBoy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's already following the MCU money making formula.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the film. Aquaman was very much like an MCU film, and it was excellent.

BvS and especially Man of Steel, I do not think so. I doubt they would have the cajones to make Kal-El kill someone or not portray him like Donner Superman. Both of those films were way outside the standard superhero movie formula and that just so happens to be their most compelling feature to me.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No sir. I want what was originally promised by WB and that was movies set in the same universe, but creator controlled. Sure I want my mcu-like movies, but I want R rated movies too or projects that are just out there (sandman anyone?). Keeps the genre fresh.

Lil_Remains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you consider the MCU good then it’s an obvious answers. This is essentially do you, or do you not like the MCU thread.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worse, for audience. It would be basically getting more of the same and with none of the films taking chances.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGrat1: see I like this version of Superman, finding what it means to be a “hero” not just saving people but sacrificing your morals & beliefs for the greater good which means paying the price of having to kill. I also like the dark batman, in BvS he was depressed & regretful for the death of Jason Todd, an interesting take on batman

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By modernww2fare

Aquaman was pretty much an MCU film, and Shazam looks to be that way too

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No sir. I want what was originally promised by WB and that was movies set in the same universe, but creator controlled. Sure I want my mcu-like movies, but I want R rated movies too or projects that are just out there (sandman anyone?). Keeps the genre fresh.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't care about the tone. Just make the movie good.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AkshSarpanch

Worse.

DCEU should gave its own style otherwise it gets boring

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alavanka

Which DCEU film is most like an MCU film? Which DCEU film made 1b? There you go.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 SC  Moderator

I don't think its that simple. Many MCU movies wouldn't work as well if they tried to imitate prior MCU movies, where as some might actually be "better if they did. Some creative forces behind movies, can use one character and make quality movies around them, with different tones potentially. Or different characters with the same tone, it depends.

Character, tone, execution, humor, plot, casting, budget, all different variables that affect movies and reception in different ways. If we go for a broad sense of the term... well again, depends on the execution. If done poorly it just becomes a lame imitation of Marvel and fails, and loses any unique identity it had. If it does well, then its getting the characters and stories right, and doing justice to DC, how Marvel did justice to its characters. Individuals will still have preferences as well, and will like/dislike changes based on what they already preference.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope too many characters with dark origins in DC

YOA_501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m already having an MCU fatigue adding this to the DCEU will be a nightmare

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thus far, the MCU has done everything better than the DCEU. Even the darker aspects of Captain America, Black Panther and Ironman were superior to the hamfisted edginess of MoS and BvS. Marvel based their darkness in existant real world issues; authoritarianism, justice, corporate greed, racism, ultra-nationalism and colonialism. While DCEU tried personal tragedies; the melodramatic death of Johnathan (leading to Clark wondering around the world not doing too much for a decade or so), the helplessness of Batman (leading to the stupidity that was BvS) and the "Martha incident" (which just came across as stupid).

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nucleon

@alavanka said:

Which DCEU film is most like an MCU film? Which DCEU film made 1b? There you go.

In terms of sales, you are right. But what about posterity?

You know what I would consider good DC movies? Tim Burton's Batmans. This was just the right tone. DC have its feel, a feel that's a bit more grand guignolesque, a bit more outré than Marvel's: They are the more fantasy universe, the "madder" one. In this sense, "Suicide Squad" had almost the right tone (it was just trying too hard).

And, continuity doesn't fit any DC universe as much as it serves Marvel: To have a Marvel-type continuity, DC must reboot every decade or so. DC should definitely stop trying to get its inspiration from Marvel, IMO.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

It certainly seems to be heading this way. And since this seems to be working, good for them. But I liked how they were going for different at first. Not every CBM needs to be like the MCU.

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tethadam

Keep all the high end feats while copying Marvel. But dont copy the humor.

Shazam looks like a good example to DC copying Marvel while keeping all the good stuff.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkonast:

I like him too. Man of Steel single-handedly made me a Superman fan the same way Captain America: The First Avenger single-handedly made me a Captain America fan. They were both just so relatable. Man of Steel actually made me pick up comic books for the first time in my life.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Aquaman was pretty much an MCU film, and Shazam looks to be that way too

although Shazam seems to be missing the forced romantic aspect