Would Mum/Mother been a better word choice than Martha? BvS

AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would Mum/Mother been a better word choice than Martha? BvS (18 votes)

Yes 56%
No 39%
Other word choice e.g. Frederick McStone 6%

So we all know this scene and all the great memes that came from it. However, would changing the word choice to mother, or something similar, been a much better idea? Would it have a much more emotional impact?

So would mum be better?

• 
Avatar image for masterskywalker
MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would've been a laughable scene anyways. Superman could've told him that his mom's life was at stake and being held by Lex, but he decided to bullrush Batman for some reason instead of reasoning things out.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still doesn't save Superman and batman from acting like complete morons.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman: Save... Mom...

Batman: ... Who?

Superman: Mom!

Batman: I don't know who your mom is.

Saying her full name is a lot more specific. Granted, he should have said "Martha Kent" or something, but he had a boot on his throat and could barely get out the two words.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"Mother" but only if Superman was using his dying breath for a scathing review of Jennifer Lawrence's movie or reciting the lyrics to Danzig's classic song.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would've been a laughable scene anyways. Superman could've told him that his mom's life was at stake and being held by Lex, but he decided to bullrush Batman for some reason instead of reasoning things out.

And not to mention there was a time in the beginning of the fight when Superman had Batman 50+ feet in the air. This was the perfect opportunity to tell him the situation and that he needed his help. But what does he do? He throws him down onto the roof of the building (and nearly off the edge) and then proceeds to tell him he could kill him if he wanted to.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thordinson said:

And not to mention there was a time in the beginning of the fight when Superman had Batman 50+ feet in the air. This was the perfect opportunity to tell him the situation and that he needed his help. But what does he do? He throws him down onto the roof of the building (and nearly off the edge) and then proceeds to tell him he could kill him if he wanted to.

Yep. That just rose tensions between them even worse.

Usha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes it would of been better. It would of had the same emotional impact on Bruce, but just without the criticisms and large amount of memes.

Saying something like, "My mother needs me" is, imo, much better than saying, "You're letting him kill Martha". Even, "You're letting him kill my Mother sounds better."

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thordinson: Exactly. The Martha similarity could have worked out if it was done right.

For example, if Superman would have explained the situation to him, then Batman proceeds to find her and rescue her. After rescuing her, Batman asks her his name, and she tells him its Martha, Martha Kent.

This would have been a much better bonding experience then what happened in BvS, and could have brought Batman and Superman closer together.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that would have made the scene even more ludicrous than it already was. Batman was already an idiot for thinking that Superman meant his long dead mom...if Batman somehow believed that just the word "mom" was meant to refer to his mom would have been even crazier.

On the plus side, just a few minutes later we got the warehouse scene, potentially the greatest fight scene in superhero history.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a694c5def8ac
deactivated-5a694c5def8ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saying her full name is a lot more specific. Granted, he should have said "Martha Kent" or something, but he had a boot on his throat and could barely get out the two words.

This is a good point.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

Over a year later...

AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The line, if actually replaced, would be; "You're letting him kill my Mother."

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adamTRMM

The main problem of this scene isn't the fact of such a silly coincidence changing Batman's heart, this is the man who dresses like a bat to beat up some criminals as his life's dogma, it is already silly (besides, when silly done right, it can reveal humanity). And also is not from the fact that Superman called his mother by name. How will saying to Batman that it's his mother would've helped? Who is this mother? Also, it's Superman who was talking not Clark Kent, and I think it is important to understand from a certain perspective. But that's when we talk about the way it WAS already done. Anyway, the real problem comes from the execution. If they go for the symbolism, they have to make sure it appeals properly.

1. Superman's visual contrasts: if it's a throwback to the day that changed Bruce's life forever then at least have Superman repeat some of the most visually notable moments of it. For example, he could've reached for Martha Kent the way Thomas reached for Martha Wayne (not in comparison, THAT scene was brilliantly shot, I never though I could care about this moment again, Snyder and Zimmer/Junkie proved me otherwise)... both lying down "defeated" yet still absolutely selfless. You also have to completely ignore Batman in this instance, Supes shouldn't have even talked to him directly when he realizes how far he has fallen, he's the bully, he's the imminent cause for the deaths of innocents here. Superman should've reached "somewhere" realizing he has failed his mom, one of the only persons he REALLY loves so he reaches, abstractly, towards her, wherever she's, just like Thomas reached for Martha. In this instance both "Martha" and "Mom" would work, hell combining the two would strike home for Bruce for sure.

2. Batman's extreme reaction: Affleck is an amazing Batman and his Bruce Wayne is as good. Probably my favorite incarnation of the character ever. But, this specific moment, was probably the weakest part because he so totally overreacted here it took me out of the scene... I don't know whose problem is this, Snyder's or Affleck's, but what's important is that it didn't end up being as impactful as it is supposed to be. Batman here is also supposed to be as defeated because he was about to betray everything he stood for in his best days because paranoia took over. And being as introverted as he is it should've ended with him falling on his knees... devastated by what he was about to become rather than panicking and shouting.

Combining the two is to show Superman's selflessness even in the face of apparent demise saves Batman from himself. Symbolic, breathtaking, unique. The concept for this scene was amazing, no matter how many detractors will say otherwise, problem is for the endless joy of those people the scene wasn't very well done... which is shame, it could've been something else entirely solidifying BvS as one of the strongest and most impactful CBM ever.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By tj849

More than a year later and people still dont understand the Martha scene? Lmao, you guys dont understand movies.

Kingnemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MARTHA!!!

MARTHA???!

Lmao never gets old

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By adamTRMM

Oh, another thing, the sentence that he delivered just moments before which is "You're not a god. You're not even a man." is one of the most epic sentences in cinema. Certainly craps allover 99% of silly one liners of... well, you know.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849 said:

More than a year later and people still dont understand the Martha scene? Lmao, you guys dont understand movies.

People understand it just the way it is executed and after that particular fight makes it kinda stupid and at the very least it sounds funny. It is obviously meant to humanize superman to batman by showing him he has a family too and whatnot but in the context it is in and the way it is written it looks pretty stupid and is some pretty bad dialogue