Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

2017 was a pretty big year for superhero movies: we got a sequel to the beloved Guardians of The Galaxy, the first ever live-action Wonder Woman movie, the third Thor film, Hugh Jackman's final outing as Wolverine, Spider-Man's first film in the MCU, and the first ever live-action Justice League. But the question is: did this year live up to the hype, or did it only sound good on paper? (*cough* 2016 *cough*). Here's my ranking of all the live-action superhero movies we got this year. Bear in mind this list is all subjective. Spoilers for all movies except Justice League.

No Caption Provided

6. Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2

Full review of Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2.

Imagine my surprise when the sequel to one of my favourite superhero movies turned out to be my least favourite MCU film. The plot of this movie is almost non-existant, and neither the writing or the dialogue are good enough to carry this film, as it consists mostly of cringe-worthy dick-jokes and an oversatured amount of humour. Ego's turn into villainy is rushed, and Peter's reaction to finding out Ego killed his mother ("you killed MY mother!") is some of the worst acting I've seen in a recent CBM. This movie reminded me of the Star Wars prequels - all of these beautiful CGI sets, but nothing to do in them but talking, talking, talking. The parental relationship and Yondu being Peter's REAL dad was forced, as was the cringeworthy interpersonal bond between Yondu and Rocket ("I know who you are boy... because you're ME"). That's without mentioning the generic, one-note "I wanted a sister" moment between Gamora and Nebula. 80% of this movie is people talking about stuff that happened off-screen. This is why the character development doesn't work. Because most of it is told to us, not shown. James Gunn failed to understand what was so appealing about Drax in the first film, and just made him an unlikeable dick. Top it off with a climax set in an entirely disconnected, CGI environment, and you're left with an underwritten, uneven, boring superhero movie that is in love with itself.

No Caption Provided

5. Justice League

Full review of Justice League.

Justice League isn't a total disaster. The heroes themselves are great, the interactions between characters are strong, most of the action is a triumph, and as is expected from Zack Snyder, it is (for the most part) gorgeous to look at. These aspects make the movie watchable, but can't save it from it's lack of soul and life, rushed pacing and character introductions which gives some scenes no time to develop, and a dissonant climax. Although the heroes themselves are great, the movie could've done a much better job developing them as a team.

No Caption Provided

4. Logan

Full review of Logan.

Logan is the only CBM this year that I've changed my opinion of since I watched it in cinemas. In spite of me liking it less upon repeat viewings, I still really like Logan and thought it was a solid movie and a refreshing change of pace for the genre. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart both brought a lot of nuance, emotion and complexity to their roles, going above and beyond for a "superhero" movie. One thing this movie did a lot better than a lot of other superhero movies in not spoon feeding the audience, and showing the characterisation instead of telling. This is due to strong writing and acting. That said, Logan fell short of being the landmark in the genre in was hyped up to be: It was supposed to be the anti-superhero movie, but the third-act throws that out of the window in favour of a generic climax and a Wolverine clone who belongs in a different movie: seriously, that symbolism was as subtle as an adamantium bullet to the forehead. The parental relationship between Logan and Laura was underwritten and forced (I'm noticing a trend here...), and the script had a lot of issues. All in all, Logan was a good superhero movie, but I don't see the game changing, subversive, "character driven" movie others made it out to be. To end on a positive note, the score Marco Beltrami composed for this film is absolutely beautiful, and criminally underrated. Have a listen.

No Caption Provided

3. Thor: Ragnarok

Read full review of Thor: Ragnarok.

This movie was everything that Thor as a character needed. This movie simultaneously made him a fan-favourite, all the while giving audiences the best live-action portrayal of Hulk. New-additions such as Valkyrie, Grandmaster and everyone's favourite New-Zealander were all great. This movie was bustling with life, humour and joy. I have little else to say about this movie, but I become obsessed with Chris Hemsworth after seeing it, and still am to an extent. In terms of what didn't work: the movie is lacking a solid, consistent emotional core and the action grew a bit uninteresting, but it was well-written, well-paced, well-shot and well-acted enough to make it a great movie and an absolute joy to watch.

No Caption Provided

2. Spider-Man: Homecoming

Read Spider-Man: Homecoming review.

This is such a feel-good movie. This movie made me fall in love with Spider-Man again. The fact he's in the MCU is still surreal to me. A dream come true. I love Peter's development in this film, realising he wants to help the little guy instead of joining The Avengers. What made this movie so refreshing to me was seeing an inexperienced hero who sucks at his job, as opposed to all the other MCU heroes who have their superhero-ing together. Peter is an active protagonist, his actions constantly changing the course of the story. This is what makes it a character-driven movie and so fun to watch. It's pretty much the anti GoTG Vol. 2, haha. Also, this movie has a special place in my heart as I saw it with my brother when he visited, and we bonded over it. I find it very relatable being only a year older than Peter, and growing up loving these heroes like he did.

No Caption Provided

1. Wonder Woman

Read Wonder Woman review.

This should come as no surprise: Wonder Woman reminded me why superheroes are so awesome, and why these characters are so enduring. It's about heroism, having belief in the good in mankind, selflessness and sacrifice. Instead of being an afterthought, these ideas and values take centre stage of the movie. Gal Gadot gives my favourite lead performance in a CBM, embodying all of these values. Chris Pine is awesome as Steve Trevor: his relationship with Diana is my favourite relationship between two characters in a CBM. Diana's journey into mankind is a fascinating journey: I loved seeing her worldview challenged. The action was awesome, the movie is incredibly good-looking and the humour landed and was well-placed. This movie isn't just my favourite 2017 CBM, it's my favourite superhero movie since The Avengers.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to agree or disagree, and share your lists and reasonings below!

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm surprised Logan was #4.

But yeah, I was expecting Guardians to be at the top. I still remember our debate about it in the Forums, and how we agreed even though Ego was a good villain & Rocket Raccoon got good character development the plot had a ton of tell instead of show and quite frankly just all happened way too quickly and out of nowhere. You definitely did a good job knocking me off my high horse and giving me a reality check on that movie's shortcomings.

Good list, agreed with most of it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, I still don´t see why you don´t like GOTG Vol. 2 though, I adore that movie, whereas I think that Homecoming fell very short of its potential.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised Logan was #4.

But yeah, I was expecting Guardians to be at the top. I still remember our debate about it in the Forums, and how we agreed even though Ego was a good villain & Rocket Raccoon got good character development the plot had a ton of tell instead of show and quite frankly just all happened way too quickly and out of nowhere. You definitely did a good job knocking me off my high horse and giving me a reality check on that movie's shortcomings.

Good list, agreed with most of it.

Man, you are one of the best people I've debated with. You had great arguments even if we reached different conclusions about the movie.

Nice, I still don´t see why you don´t like GOTG Vol. 2 though, I adore that movie, whereas I think that Homecoming fell very short of its potential.

Ah that's a shame. I know you're a pretty big Spider-Man fan. Well, all my reasons for not liking GoTG Vol. 2 are in my review and in the list above. At least we both agree Ragnarok is awesome :)

ad-arts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could not agree less with the order.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:

Ah that's a shame. I know you're a pretty big Spider-Man fan. Well, all my reasons for not liking GoTG Vol. 2 are in my review and in the list above. At least we both agree Ragnarok is awesome :)

Don´t get me wrong, I enjoyed Homecoming a lot and it´s a great movie, I was just expecting much more, it could have been way better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39006e28280
deactivated-5a39006e28280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ad-arts said:

Feel the same but everyone has different taste.

My order -

1. Logan

2. WW

3. Thor

4. JL

5. Spiderman

6. GotG 2

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ad-arts said:

Do you agree with the movies on my list though? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thor > Spidey > Wondy > Logan > GotG > JL

edit: I'm gonna give Spidey a re-watch.

ad-arts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ad-arts

@ad-arts said:

Do you agree with the movies on my list though? :P

Difficult to disagree, there wasn't too many of them :)

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#10 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Nice read.

This also serves as a realization that I didn't see any movies in 2017.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: That actually means so much to me, especially coming from someone like you! You're honestly a great debater and writer, even if we do happen to disagree on stuff like this it's always a joy to talk to you!

:)

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My Order
6. Logan

5. Justice Leaguer

4. Guardians of The Galaxy II

3. Spiderman Homecoming

2. Wonder Woman

1. Thor

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My order:

1 - Logan

2 - Homecoming

3 - Ragnarok

4 - Justice League

5 - Wonder Woman

6 - Gotg 2

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Having a hard time working my own ranking out but great list, well-written and justified. Strange I'm actually finally re-watching Spider-Man: Lego Death Star Commercial right now. This kid's accent is bugging me more than the first time but Keaton is amazing.

Nice work, Pod.

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ppl have very different taste than me. I couldn't stand wonder woman. Most of my friends who never ever watched or read comics tagged along with me to see wonder woman as sorta like an obligation that everyone must like the movie because it's about woman empowerment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I consider Homecoming to be one of the most boring CB's ever made.

B1ack0ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By B1ack0ut

I watched all of them except for JL. In terms of being well-put together, fun, and emotional impact, it'd be.

GotG

Thor

Spiderman

Logan

Wonder Woman

JL

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great list

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Interesting order, definitely did not expect it to be like that.

My list is like this(I haven't seen Thor so far):

1. Logan
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2
  4. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  5. Justice League
tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, mine is

1. Homecoming

2. Wonder Woman

3. Logan

4. Justice League

5. Thor Ragnarok

6. GOTG 2.

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Thor R

2. Wonder Woman

3. Spider-Man HC

4. Logan

5. Guardians of the Galaxy

6. JL (I enjoyed JL but I liked guardians a little better)

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn’t see Logan, so I can’t factor that one in. I’d say my list would go:

1. Thor: Ragnarok

2. Wonder Woman

3. Spider-Man Homecoming

4. Justice League

5. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

Wolviesnikt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1-Logan

2-Thor: Ragnarok

3- Wonder Woman

4-GoG 2

5-Justice League and Spider-man Homecoming

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 modernww2fare  Online

Awesome list!

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Where abouts would the likes of Valerian, Atomic Blonde and Kingsman 2 rank?

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting list, but suprised to see Logan so low. I'd probably go:

1. Logan

2. Wonder Woman

3. Justice League

4. Spiderman: Homecoming

5. Thor: Ragnarok

6. GOTG 2

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Homecoming>Justice League>GoTG 2>Ragnarok>Wonder Woman>Logan

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Kidd

1. Logan

2. Thor: Ragnarok

3. Wonder Woman

4. GoTG Vol. 2

5. Justice League

6. Spider-Man

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fair list. I disagree with Logan, JL and Thor, but what are you gonna do?

Avatar image for deactivated-61e3068763b41
deactivated-61e3068763b41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father said:

I consider Homecoming to be one of the most boring CB's ever made.

someone said it

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Logan

2. Thor

3. Spidey

4. Wonder Woman

5. Justice League

6. GotG Vol 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone on this site hates GOTG 2 lol

1: Logan

2: GOTG 2

3: Wonder Woman

4: Ragnorock

5: Homecoming

6: JL

Firedude17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.Logan

2.JLA

3.WW

4.Thor

5.GOTG2

6.Homecoming

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Logan
  2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  3. Justice League
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  5. Wonder Woman
  6. Thor: Ragnarok
ashokkumar95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan should be no.1 on my list.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this is exactly my ranking.

Avatar image for deactivated-6021b09dd509c
deactivated-6021b09dd509c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: In my Opinion Thor should be 1 followed by Wonder Woman.

Fair enough! But I found Wonder Woman to be a more impactful and emotional movie.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6. Justice League

5. GOTG 2

4. Homecoming

3. Ragnarok

2. Wonder woman

1. Logan

ThunderPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ThunderPrince

1. Logan

2. Thor: Ragnarok

3. Wonder Woman

4. Spider-man: homecoming

5. GOTG 2

6. JL

I don't think that GOTG or JL were bad movies, but every other superhero movie this year was amazing. JL and GOTG are at the bottom by default.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me I thought Logan was well made for what it was meant to be however, I didn't expect it to be what it was. I didn't enjoy it at all. It was extremely dark and depressing and it had a lot of stuff I just didn't enjoy. It did have excellent acting though and I kinda hope Patrick Stewart get a best supporting actor nomination. Besides Logan I enjoyed all of the CBM's this year. I'm not totally sure where to put Thor Ragnarok but I think my list is like this.

6. Logan

5. Justice League.

4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

3. Wonder Woman

2. Thor Ragnarok

1. Spider-Man Homecoming.

Avatar image for man_thats_funny
man_thats_funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6. Thor Ragnarok

5. Thor Ragnarok

4. Thor Ragnarok

3. Thor Ragnarok

2. Thor Ragnarok

1. Thor Ragnarok

Wolviesnikt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan is the 1st.

Avatar image for emperor_jar_jar
Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan should be 1st. Only other story that was the least bit emotional was... uh... shit.