Higher Vampires - an ancient race from another world who has appeared in the world of the witcher due to Conjunction of the Spheres. Most of them decided to hide from the folks or blend into the crowd. And that's why the world is lucky. Higher Vampires are the most powerfull creatures in the witcherverse. (besides Gaunter O'Dimm).
Regis: Geralt, imagine the least comfortable situation you could ever find yourself in. What would it be? I don't mean the moment of pain, with a death knocking at your door, just a circumstance of great unease.
Geralt: All right, in that case a court banquet. Gotta show up in a hose and a tight doublet. Gotta smile at everyone and engage in vacuous conversation. While Dandelion sings a ballad about me and Yennefer for all to hear.
Regis: Very well. Now imagine you're stuck there - not for an hour, not for an evening, but for all time. And should you fall out of character for but a moment, should you so much as scratch yourself where stitching chafes, all around you scream, "Monster! Monster!" And they'll turn on you and tear you to shreds.
Short description of few Higher Vampires
Regis: Extremely intelligent and well-educated person, which shouldn't be a surprise regarding his age (428 years in human calendar or 642 in elvish). Years ago he was an calm and polite but cocky person who liked to show off his knowledge. To be true he's very knowledgeable in medicine, history, law and alchemy. He joined to Geralt's of Rivia team (Geralt is a witcher - monster hunter) in journey to save Geralt's adopted daughter. He was the most even-tempered, peaceful and rational member of the group. Due to his intelligence and experience, Geralt often consulted Regis on difficult matters. He's kinda a complex character. Once when he was younger he has been very cruel and stupid but after an accident with peasants it took him ~50 years to rethink his live in a grave while regenerating. He bacame more wise and stopped drinking. They captured him when he was drunk, cut off his head, pierced his heart with wooden stakes, chopped his body into pieces, doused him in holy water and buried him in the ground.
Dettlaff: Regis was once defeated by a sorcerer - Vilgefortz during the assault on Stygga Castle. Geralt and his companions had assumed that being reduced to a puddle of plasma was a fatal condition, but Dettlaff was able to save Regis, completely regenerating him. They became "blood-brothers," and Regis is forever indebted to Dettlaff for his selfless actions. Dettlaff wast stated to be less "civilized" than Regis. He prefers to be around lesser vampires than humans to he doesnt understand human terms such as manipulation or lie. He's still intelligent person. When he's angry, his ruthless. He was able to destroy entire city to force person who was manipulating him to show in certain place to meet with him. He should be around Regis age.
Oriana: She is deep friend of Regis from the past. Orianna appears to be very wealthy, she owns an estate, where she hosts lavish parties for artists. She owns her own orphanage (where children allows her to drink blood from them). She was defeated later by Geralt of Rivia, but she's still alive due to being Higher Vampire.
- Fire resistance - they are resistant to natural fire. For example in the books Regis was able to pick up a hot horseshoe with his bare hand without any sign of pain. His hand wasn't burned either. But they are not resistant to fire made by magic. For example a mage burned Regis into dust and glass with magical inferno + in the game "Witcher 3 Blood and Wine" Dettlaff can be injured by magic sign Igni.
- Invisibility. They can turn invisible when they want in a second.
- Shapeshifting (they can turn into fog, their vampire form, true vampire form and giant bat). While they are in the fog form they are visible as a literal fog. They can't be injured in this form, because they are not material. It's worth to mention that when they are in the fog form the can turn invisible and attack you when you can't attack them. For example Dettlaff in 3 forms:
- Regeneration similar to Deadpool/Wolverine. Examples:
- Regis was burned down by magic inferno. He turned into dust and some glass. And he regenerated from this. This took some time and he needed help from Dettlaff, but still it's impressive.
- Dettlaff lost his hand and then he regenerated it pretty fast (offscreen)(pretty fast means ~less than day)
- Regis had hole in his body/heart. Regenerated it in ~2 seconds.
- Dettlaff was cut in half and his body started to regenerating seconds later
- Regis - they cut off his head, pierced his heart with wooden stakes, chopped his body into pieces, doused him in holy water and buried him). It took him ~50 years to regenerate from that. So long because all of pieces of his body were buried and separated.
Besides that regeneration, they are completely immortal (their spirit lives even if there's no body and they can be resurrected with the help from other Higher Vampire) and they dont feel pain.
- They can put you into sleep or charm you by just looking at you.
His gaze can charm you and put you into sleep. He did that to the guards in the Vissegerd camp.
- You cannot locate/detect them with magic. Regis speech
- They can communicate and talk with animals (at least with ravens)
- When Dettlaff bitten Geralt, he started to have hallucinations. He even started to fight with blood-monster version of Dettlaff while real Dettlaff was regenerating elsewhere
- They are able to cut person in plate armor in half with one swing
- Higher vampires can match/stalemate Geralt strength-wise. Examples of Geralt strength feats (from @lubub55 Geralt respect thread):
Here we see Geralt defend from a downwards blow from Imlerith and even overpower him. Imlerith is strong enough to casually lift a fully grown man up by the neck with a single hand, and then effortlessly snap his neck with a single twist of his wrist. Notice when Geralt's sword is struck by Imlerith's mace it doesn't budge an inch. It would be almost impossible for a real life human to keep their sword in such a steady position after it is struck, but Geralt is able to do it against an opponent with superhuman strength, who has a much larger and heavier weapon and then goes on to overpower him.
Blocks a strike from an angered Striga without giving any ground or even being staggered, and then casually floors it. Strigas are stronger than werewolves and can break silver power-dampening chains off of them without any leverage.
Reflexes and speed
Their reflexes feats are pretty good. Thanks to their amazing speed their are able to lolblitz theirs opponents. They are faster than Geralt who was stated to be operating at/reacting to blur speeds (also Geralt has shown multiple times that he can move and attack faster than blink of the eye) and he was able to block two strikes from two other sides, with one sword simultaneously (so fast that there was only one blocking sound). Those vamps are faster than him. Regis and Dettlaff were lolblitzing highly trained soldiers in this whole scene. Dettlaff was so fast in his fog form that many people think that he can teleport (they don't have any teleporting abilities! He just mixes his raw speed with invisibility and shapeshifting into a fog). Overall when he decides to blitz, he moves so fast that you can't perceive his motion. There you have Dettlaff blitzing another soldier who is looking at him in defensive position. Oriana's fight with Geralt. You can see how fast she can travel/fight. Almost instantly across the room, Dettalaff & Regis can do the same.
- They don't feel pain - Regis had hole in his body/heart and didn't feel anything
- Dettlaff was thrown at the wall with great strenght. It looks like his shoulder was broken. There's not a single sign of pain from him
- Oriana blocks Geralt strikes with her bare arms. Geralt is so strong and his meteorite sword so sharp that he can cut a person in plate armor with one swing (not a gameplay mechanic).
- They are immune to toxins which are dangerous for even Geralt
Example of Geralt tolerance (from lubub55 respect thread):
Geralt is described as having "exceptional powers of regeneration". His healing factor allowed him to recover from what would normally have been a fatal wound, though he also had medical attention. The wound was so deep that all the insides of Geralt's throat were visible.
- Their claws are durable enough to block Geralt strikes
Skill and other feats
One "low" vampire which is leagues weaker than any Higher Vampire defeated 20 heavy armored and elite guards while fighting against 40.
- It was stated by Geralt that entire Bucleir Palace army cannot stop Dettlaff
- Regis was taking upper hand during his duel against Dettlaff what makes him more skilled. (Regis was not in his peak physical condition while Dettlaff was)
- Regis lolstomped two Bruxas in a second. One Bruxa is enough to give Geralt a challange.
- They are skilled enough to match Geralt of Rivia skill-wise. Geralt feats (from lubub55 respect thread):
Breaks into a prison for Witches and kills all the guards inside. Here it is said that the Prison is better guarded than "the Keep at Vicovaro", which is the Keep of an important Nilfgaardian official. The Prison is guarded by lots of highly trained Witch Hunters. The video here skipped the part where Geralt cut down over a dozen guards in an open courtyard whilst also being fired at by archers. If anyone has a better clip, please link it.
Fights a group of large cats and a Werecat and is winning until he has a conversation with the Werecat. The people by him aren't helping in the fight, but are hiding. If anyone knows what kind of cats Geralt is fighting please let me know and I'll edit it in.
After just having been in a shipwreck and knocked unconscious, Geralt wakes up whilst unarmed, kills a load of armed soldiers without weapons or armour and then takes a sword. He then goes on to defeat six royal guards as well as the mage with them.
Here Geralt solos a bunch of Ghouls and Lesser Vampires. Ghouls are strong enough to easily break wooden doors down and Lesser Vampires are in the multi-ton strength range, have very sharp claws and a bunch of other wildcard abilities like invisibility.
Geralt has fought off and killed large groups of Wild Hunt warriors at many points throughout the game. Most notably at The Battle of Kaer Morhen. Also at many other points in the game. Back to the Kaer Morhen one though, at multiple points Geralt is alone and has to fighter through dozens singlehandedly whilst closing gates and portals.Not only are regular Wild Hunt Riders physically superior to humans, (and possibly witchers,) they are also skilled. They are also incredibly large and heavy and have a far reach as well as being well equipped. Beating a load of Wild Hunt warriors at once in straight up fights is more impressive than using ambush tactics to take down vampires whilst depowered.
Geralt kills six highly skilled swordsmen at once without taking a hit. Earlier in the novel, it is said that these six plus Renfri would be able to take on the entire guardforce of Blaviken alone, and that "No warrior in the world could match seven swordsmen." Geralt did, and remained unharmed. He only gets cut after he kills the six and has a one-on-one fight with Renfri. The only reason he gets hit is because he has a strong emotional connection and does not want to fight.
Effortlessly beats a highborn Knight with a sword he describes as "heavy", comparing its weight to that of a spade. He is used to wielding lighter swords, whilst his opponent is wielding his sword of choice. He is told that he is not allowed to draw blood, so he beats Tailles by making his sword smash into his face.
Fought all of the Crinfrid Reavers at once. Yennefer claims that Geralt would have won the fight if it had continued. Geralt is certain that the Reavers together would be capable of killing a Golden Dragon.
Geralt defeats Dethmold, one of the most powerful sorcerers of the time, and Adam Pangratt, a peak human and one of the best mercenaries in the world at once, when they also have four of Pangratt's mercenaries helping. Vernon Roche was with Geralt, but we know for a fact that he is a far inferior fighter to Geralt.
Kills Imlerith, a General of the Wild Hunt. He even commments, "Who taught you to fight like this?"From his bio, we learn that Imlerith is incredibly brutal and powerful, he is very experienced and has fought in "countless" battles and is also agile and skilled and has beaten other agile and skilled fighters in 1v1 fights to the death.He is also capable of snapping a witcher's neck whilst he is already suspended in the air with a single hand using only a twist of his wrist.
Kills a Higher Vampire without prep. Higher Vampires are arguably the most powerful creature in The Witcher Universe and this specific one had already killed witchers before, and knew that Geralt hadn't fought one before because he was still alive.
Kills a Higher Vampire, which most witchers won't even dare take a contract on. Higher Vampires are strong enough to pick up and throw carriages, and can toss people through stone walls. They also move at FTE speeds and have healing factors.
Geralt has overcome a Bruxa, an opponent who is much stronger and faster than him and speedblitzes, who can also heal in combat, turn invisible and still fight like that and who can also release sonic screams through pure skill.
Geralt defeats Dettlaff van der Eretin, the Beast of Beauclair.*Dettlaff is blatantly FTE,can attack people from a mist form,can singlehandedly destroy a city and can stomp 100 Palace guardsmen and move faster than the wind but he is still no match for Geralt.His bios confirm that he has the precision of a master butcher and is extremely skilled with conventional weapons. Despite being a blatantly FTE multi-tonner with claws capable of shredding through armour who speedblitzes, who can also go into mist form and has a healing factor as well as lots of technical skill he came up short against Geralt.
This quest shows just how brutal witcher training is. They were forced to constantly train and could not stop even when wounded. Pre-teens who had not even undergone mutations had to repeatedly do fifty push-ups for missing an archery target which they presumably would have done a lot at that age.
Here is Ciri training at the age of twelve. She is flipping across thin beams blindfolded whilst attacking a target and keeping balance, and Geralt even comments that she's slow. She is even able to get off with a backflip.
- It was stated by Regis that Geralt of Rivia the best hunter in witcherverse with superhuman senses will not be able to find Dettlaff. Regis speech. When Geralt tried he was hunting him whole week but he was not able to find him.
- Bruxa vampire which is leagues weaker than Higher Vampires killed a knight so silently that nobody noticed. In this place there was around ~15 people.