Will Thor Ragnok Make Over $1 Billion in Theatres?

• 65 results
Heretic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Thor Ragnok Make Over $1 Billion in Theatres? (93 votes)

Yes 23%
No 77%

The third installments of Iron Man and Captain America both made over a Billion. Will Thor do it too?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No, Standalone films rarely make over a billion.

SaviorSorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SaviorSorrow

No. Captain America 3 most likely would not of done it without the Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they release it in 3d it is possible. Thor 2 made over 600 million, and prices and popularity have gone up since then. If it gets great reviews it will have a chance

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if its really good then yeah half are showing up anyways cuz of hulk (and a few led zepplin fans)

WarDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe 8-850 million. It does have hulk and elements of planet hulk...could higher.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if its really good then yeah half are showing up anyways cuz of hulk (and a few led zepplin fans)

Good point, Hulk will attract people too

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, it's definitely possible. The trailer got a ridiculous amount of views in a super short time, so there's clearly a lot of hype around it. Obviously it also depends on how good the film is.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm more just hoping it'll be way better than the first two films, which I liked parts of but were very average overall.

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlindingLights

I think it will probably do around the same as Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Probably a little less.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, it's definitely possible. The trailer got a ridiculous amount of views in a super short time, so there's clearly a lot of hype around it. Obviously it also depends on how good the film is.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the-wraith: The winter soldier made over 700 million not that unreasonable to say they would've hit a billion

SaviorSorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SaviorSorrow

@kgb725: Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men DoFP, and The Amazing Spider-Man all made more than The Winter Solider and none of their sequels made a Billion.

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is a really good movie, I could see it get close to a billion. It is very difficult to hit a billion. I see it making at least 600 million considering the bad history of Thor movies. If it is really good it makes over 800 million maybe 900 million.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spambot

I think JL coming out two weeks after is going to hurt it somewhat. I'm sure Feige wasn't happy with WB choosing that date but this is a pretty jam packed year for cbms plus the next sw. $800m seems like a good target for Ragnarok. Even GotG2 looks like it will come far short of $1b.

Avatar image for deactivated-599632ff76068
deactivated-599632ff76068

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. A billion cents.

Whitewolf24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Whitewolf24

No maybe if justice league wasn't coming out 2 weeks later justice league will probably make more unless it's pure shit which it may or may not be

MungenMuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if Thor is good enough and the marketing is good enough it will barley make a billion around the iron man 3 range

PseudocodeUCLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@the-wraith: The winter soldier made over 700 million not that unreasonable to say they would've hit a billion

If Guardian 2 couldn't make a billion, what makes you think that Thor 3 has a shot at approaching a billion dollars?

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is certainly a buttload of hype around it... The trailer got 136 million views in 24 hours and the main trailer is the only marvel trailer to get over 40 million views (its at 39.5, but whatever, it'll pass it in the next several days) on an official youtube video since Civil War... More than Justice League, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Guardians Vol. 2, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Logan.

I am assuming the foreign totals will be higher than the $438 million earned by The Dark World (Looking at around $500 million to $600 million) and the Domestic total will be way higher than the mere $206 million earned as well (Probably $300 million to $400 million).

On the low end, its going to pass the high 700 millions and be in the low 800s. At the high end, its going to just pass a billion, and if it goes over, $1.1 billion being the absolute max. As a Thor movie with Hulk, Doctor Strange, Loki, a cool looking villain Hela, and possibly Thanos, I am guessing it gets lands in the mid range.

$850 million to $950 million with it possibly going lower or higher. Justice League will give it a bit of trouble.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicmuffin: I mostly agree except I think the $850-950 range is a little high. More so with JL coming in on its heels. Thor does seem to be a good int'l draw though so that's the main reason I think it does at least $800m. Anything over that is just gravy for a solo movie.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spambot said:

I think JL coming out two weeks after is going to hurt it somewhat. I'm sure Feige wasn't happy with WB choosing that date but this is a pretty jam packed year for cbms plus the next sw. $800m seems like a good target for Ragnarok. Even GotG2 looks like it will come far short of $1b.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is between 7-8m.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Highly doubt it.

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

300-500

AbelHsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AbelHsu

Likely not.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I give it about a 15% chance.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Penguin-Dust

No, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is coming off a highly praised debut and was one of the most anticipated movies of the summer and it's not going to break a billion. For that to happen you really need the international box office to carry you though and I do not see Thor having the same pull overseas as the core Avengers movies or something like Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean or the Fast and the Furious franchises.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a20a68641bc7
deactivated-5a20a68641bc7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless it's Incredibly amazing no especially since Thor 2 was not that good.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

It's worth noting that Iron Man 3 and Civil War heavily featured Marvel's top draw Tony Stark. Ragnarok does not have that particular ingredient.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably around Guardians Vol. 2 money if it's good and has good word of mouth.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a long shot. But, we'll see. Anything can happen.

As of now, "No".

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't think so.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not. He just doesn't have the same amount of popularity as Captain America and Iron Man.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the right type of marketing, yeah I definitely see it making over a billion. We haven't seen MCU hulk or Thor for 2 years now. Also goldbum and blanchet.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Asgaard
@mrmonster said:

Probably not. He just doesn't have the same amount of popularity as Captain America and Iron Man.

Regarding Iron Man there is not dispute, but Captain America is obviously more popular than Thor in the US, but worldwide i just can't find evidence for that, just by movies Thor made more money than First Avenger in the international market and Thor 2 basically the same as (the a lot better movie) Winter Soldier in the mentioned international markets, and the reason why Cap Civil War did not do Iron Man 3 numbers were the international markets since domestically both performed equally... So.... Is Cap really more popular than Thor worldwide?

Most of the time there is not a worldwide uniform view, specially regarding popularity, as Wonder Woman box office numbers also show, she is performing a lot better in the US than in the international markets...

Thar said i don't believe that Thor Ragnarok can make $1B, it will be released in a month (November) where movies daily don't make much money, and i can only remember of one movie that was released by the same time and did that kind of numbers, (Skyfall) but it had a great reception and really strong legs, something really hard for the Ragnarok since JL is the same genre and Star Wars 8 absorbs a lot of the oxygen of the other movies... And even if JL is pushed for 2018 (it could happen since they are back to filming, and this movies need a lot of editing hours) i don't believe Thor Ragnarok could make $1B either, but to be fair the trailer response was fantastic and its now hard to quantify (it always is) how strong this movie appeal really is...

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say that it would get around 500 million considering their previous movies were not as great compared to some others shown.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Can't see that happening. 800 million at most and even that's pushing it.

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fabricolage:

I'd say that it would get around 500 million considering their previous movies were not as great compared to some others shown.

Never in a million years will a film featuring Thor, Loki, Hulk and Doctor Strange ever make less than a solo Ant-Man film. Never.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If JL is atleast decent, then no. If it sucks, then it can.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicmuffin: Quality>Quantity though. It mostly depends on how well they can tell a story good enough to reach the amount Civil War made or even The Winter Soldier.

Arrsenal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a chance

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlikely to reach the 1 billion mark, but no one has seen the film yet, so it's impossible to say for sure.

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't see that happening. 800 million at most and even that's pushing it.

I concur.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

The only solo movie to break 1B in the MCU was IM3 and that was riding the coattails of the first Avengers.

Not happening.

O__O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it. Probably less than GotG2. I think Spider-Man will most likely be Marvel's highest crossing movie this year.