Will Marvel Cinematic Universe movies' writing improve by emulating DC Extended Universe's serious, dark and edgy tone?

Avatar image for tsciallsolle3451
TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Marvel Cinematic Universe movies' writing improve by emulating DC Extended Universe's serious, dark and edgy tone? (62 votes)

Yes 15%
No 82%

So I kept hearing negative opinions of Marvel Cinematic Universe movies not taking themselves too seriously...?

Be it entertainment value or the cinematic critical quality, do you think Marvel Cinematic Universe movies' quality will improve if they follow the style of DC Extended Universe (3 movies so far - Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad) by having a super serious, dark and edgy tone?

Discuss.

• 
Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Netflix did serious better than DCU

TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TSciallsolle3451

@zetsumoto said:

I didn't watch Netflix. If you feel like articulating well, please explain how were they better than DCEU in dark and edgy serious story-telling.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

It would improve by taking a few pointers from the DCEU... but it wont take them because the current formula is serving them well enough.

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto said:

I didn't watch Netflix. If you feel like articulating well, please explain how were they better than DCEU in dark and edgy serious story-telling.

Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage all had darker elements in them and portrayed a more gritty, realistic view of the world. A world where the superheroes are often despised (Daredevil being called the devil of Hells' Kitchen). And Jessica Jones had the Purple man (Kilgrave who basically emotionally manipulates her) and Luke Cage with the racial elements of living in Harlem.

TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tsciallsolle3451 said:
@zetsumoto said:

Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage all had darker elements in them and portrayed a more gritty, realistic view of the world. A world where the superheroes are often despised (Daredevil being called the devil of Hells' Kitchen). And Jessica Jones had the Purple man (Kilgrave who basically emotionally manipulates her) and Luke Cage with the racial elements of living in Harlem.

Isn't Superman a controversial figure in the DCEU too? Man of Steel sees people hiding in their homes after Superman confronts Zod and his cronies. Batman v Superman sees debates about Superman's morality.

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Superman a controversial figure in the DCEU too? Man of Steel sees people hiding in their homes after Superman confronts Zod and his cronies. Batman v Superman sees debates about Superman's morality.

Yeah I know Superman is a controversial figure in DCEU. But there's way too much religious symbolism in MoS and BvS. I'm just saying that Marvel is probably fine without emulating DCEU because they already have realism and gritty in Netflix shows.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao Netflix is superior in that aspect to the DCEU.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OldBoy93

Nope. The "serious, dark and edgy tone" is destroying the DCEU.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rogueshadow  Moderator

It isn't dark, serious or edgy. It's pretentious, dour and bland.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 SC  Moderator

Serious, dark, edgy, humorous, quip, light hearted… these tend to be fan terms, and depending on where ones preferences lay, can be accentuated in overly positive or negative ways, depending on whether one wants to criticize or praise a movie or cinematic universe… really though its about execution, relativity and balance. Man of Steel is considered dark, and gritty, because many have a perception and assumption that Superman, the character and idea, is bright and cheerful. Guardians of the Galaxy is considered light and breezy, but it has moments where a young boy struggles with losing a parent to a devastating illness. Since the rest of the movie, is cheerful, and so the dark parts, serve to accentuate and compliment the films heart and humor.

A good movie will use a mix of positive and negative story telling, to various effect, even if it leans (sometimes heavily) one way more than another. If effective, it can magnify good parts of a movie, if ineffective, it can make a movie feel disjointed, uncommitted or messy. Marvel and DC, don't have exclusive rights to such ideas, and for many of the people behind the movies, there is probably a lot of passion and sincerity with wanting to deliver great stories to people (as well as companies wanting to make money…) but often that also means, that a lot of creators will want to surpass expectations, or change expectations… I'm a fan of Aquaman, in the comics, but in the past, the mainstream media have depicted Aquaman as being a joke… moviemakers will probably want to address that in a way, buy emphasizing heavily on Aquaman being a badass… Superman? Taken seriously as an icon, definitely, but the people behind Man of Steel, probably felt that many people overlooked Superman as a one dimensional boy scout character with no gravity, urgency depth, or relevance in todays world… so I don't think the intention was to make Superman purely a darker, gritty, character… the intent was probably to make him feel more adult, real, and heavy, and so moments of hope and inspiration would feel more gravity, because he struggles more, is a bit more introspective, and bears the weight of the world on his shoulders… as opposed to running the risk of being too campy, bright and thus not taken seriously…

In contrast, cast an actor like Robert Downy Junior in Iron Man, and his acting and charisma can allow for a bit more color, quips, and people would take that seriously, because less assumptions and perceptions held about Iron Man, and we have a talented thespian playing the role.

Its… a lot more nuance than a movie studio attempting to be either light and funny, or dark and edgy. Its about playing to potential strengths and trying to minimize potential weaknesses, and to further complicate things, playing to or subverting the potential audiences expectations and desires. Marvel could potentially benefit from having more darkness than it already has… because that would subvert many peoples expectations, in ways that they could appreciate… but not because they are "borrowing from DC" just like DC could potentially benefit from more light hearted and silly moments/tone… but not because it is trying to "copy" Marvel, but because it could also subvert some peoples expectations, (and also hit on some peoples actual expectations/desires) and both also potentially risk alienating fans expectations in negative ways too. Also, consider what they are trying to do with Power Rangers and Transformers in the past… Kids cartoons? Movie people want them to seem more adult and serious… polarizing many people in the process… I mean, I understand, I myself, I'd love to see a gritty live action remake of Captain Planet…

GoodFella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GoodFella

As others have said, their Netflix shows are pulling off more serious tones than the DCEU has. Furthmore if isn't broke, don't fix it. Marvel have critical, financial and crowd pleasing success with every instalment so I'm not sure why they need to adopt aspects from a failing film franchise, especially when we consider that Marvel's scrips have been tight and generally well written compared to the sub-par writing that has plagued the DCEU.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahhahahha! Great Troll boy! Thx, I was at work and I really needed a good laught!

No, however :)

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Bait, and I'll bite. DCEU sucks ass so why would they copy a formula that produces a dumpster fire that sends actors and directors running for the door?

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU already has a winning formula

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It be nice if MCU took some chances instead of a working formula with just enough changes in every movie to make it feel different when in reality is nothing new. That being said money and positive review will keep them going.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would prefer if there was less humor in the MCU overall. More along the lines of Civil War and The Winter Soldier. Age of Ultron's humor seemed really forced and lowered the overall quality of the movie and the threat of Ultron. But really, Marvel has a winning formula right now, so I doubt they will change too much until possibly after Phase 3.

ViperSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would prefer if there was less humor in the MCU overall. More along the lines of Civil War and The Winter Soldier. Age of Ultron's humor seemed really forced and lowered the overall quality of the movie and the threat of Ultron. But really, Marvel has a winning formula right now, so I doubt they will change too much until possibly after Phase 3.

This.

I also think they need to improve their villains, but that's irrelevant to this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrmonster

Just the opposite in fact: the DCEU should try to emulate the MCU's tone. Except for The Batman, but other than that, the DCEU should be more lighthearted. But from the looks of it, they're going that route for Wonder Woman and Justice League.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93 said:

Nope. The "serious, dark and edgy tone" is destroying the DCEU.

No, shitty directors are destroying DCEU. Nolanverse had a pretty serious and dark tone.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. It's also way I think Marvel movies and shows coexist and supplement each other well.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tparks

Why would Marvel do anything that DC does in movies? People love Marvel movies. People do not love DC.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes marvel definitely need some more serious, darker movies for variety. But not the way Dc does it i wouldn't call any of those movies dark or serious just pretentious and horribly paced.

BalancedTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could learn a while lot from DC

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mrmonster

What is up with all these old and cringe-worthy threads being drudged up all of a sudden?

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why would a box office Titan like Marvel need to mimic DC trash?

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well. Too much dark tone can destroy marvel just like DC. I feel that only the characters which are dark should have a movie with that Tone. You can make a punisher movie with a dark tone. And of course batman. But if you add a dark tone to superman or Thor,then they will be bad. Because they aren't meant to be all that serious

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm pretty sure the MCU should try to emulate the DCEU. Their executives must be envious or something. These guys, you see, they're there for the art - money don't matter much to them. [/sarcastic]

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, they aren't gonna take that risk, they're gonna stick with their working formula until it stops making money. Looking at its blind sheep fanbase, they're gonna continue to get away with this for a long, long time.

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but honestly it depends on the film, I stick to my statement that certain films should be Dark and others shouldn't based on the Superhero.

DCEU:

Batman(Dark)

Superman(Light)

MCU:

Blade(Dark)

Spider-Man(Light)

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan: I don’t know why you bother commenting on so many threads you dislike being bitter like that, what’s the point?

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers