Will "Martha or Bucky is alive" make you powerless?

• 60 results
Posted by Blueshoecant (1716 posts) 1 month, 1 day ago

Poll: Will "Martha or Bucky is alive" make you powerless? (53 votes)

Yeah precisely 13%
Maybe, depends on situation 13%
Hell No, i won't fall for that bait 21%
Martha Yes, Bucky No 11%
Bucky Yes, Martha No 42%

Render you/ make you hesitate in a fight?

You as Batman in BvS or 2012 Endgame Cap

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#51 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio

Jesus Christ, the fact that all these smooth brained people still don't get the Martha scene 3.5 years later really makes me lose faith in humanity.

#52 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13578 posts) - - Show Bio

Jesus Christ, the fact that all these smooth brained people still don't get the Martha scene 3.5 years later really makes me lose faith in humanity.

I mean at this point they don’t want to understand it

#53 Posted by Mrnoital (8471 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:

Like people that still think Thor busted a city

#54 Posted by jojjimbo (2722 posts) - - Show Bio

MCU does it better...so, Buckey is alive yes, Martha no.

Avatar image for professorrespect
#55 Posted by ProfessorRespect (8748 posts) - - Show Bio
@mrnoital said:
@mazahs117 said:
@petey_is_spidey said:

It's not like it's hard to understand, it's just really poorly written and doesn't translate well from the script.

Granted, the idea is good (showing a common humanity between Bruce and Clark and giving the latter a chance to stop the same tragedy that fell upon him all those years ago) but the execution......not great.

#56 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13578 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:
@mazahs117 said:
@petey_is_spidey said:

It's not like it's hard to understand, it's just really poorly written and doesn't translate well from the script.

Granted, the idea is good (showing a common humanity between Bruce and Clark and giving the latter a chance to stop the same tragedy that fell upon him all those years ago) but the execution......not great.

I‘ve seen this complaint before regarding this scene, but I never see any examples of why it’s bad, or how it should be different to make it good. It certainly isn‘t anything revolutionary in terms of writing/acting, but it works fine for what they were doing or the point they were trying to get across as far as I’m concerned. How would you do it different to make it better?

#57 Posted by Kevd4wg (14163 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:
@mazahs117 said:
@petey_is_spidey said:

This. I understand what they were doing/trying to do. That doesn't change that it's stupid

Avatar image for professorrespect
#58 Posted by ProfessorRespect (8748 posts) - - Show Bio

@mazahs117: idk, I just think that the rest of the movie drags the standards down a lot, so much so that when you make it to that scene, the actual impact of it is very much reduced. The third half outside of the amazing Batman fight scene is pretty weak in general.

I was fine with BvS the first viewing, but every watch afterwards isn't very enjoyable. I won't go into detail because that's going off the topic of the thread, but it hasn't aged well.

#59 Posted by Juggerman40 (759 posts) - - Show Bio

I’m supposed to stop beating your ass because your mom has the same name as my deceased mother?

I would stop if you had information of my childhood friend still being alive because that is a loved one I can still save.

^^

#60 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13578 posts) - - Show Bio

@mazahs117: idk, I just think that the rest of the movie drags the standards down a lot, so much so that when you make it to that scene, the actual impact of it is very much reduced. The third half outside of the amazing Batman fight scene is pretty weak in general.

I was fine with BvS the first viewing, but every watch afterwards isn't very enjoyable. I won't go into detail because that's going off the topic of the thread, but it hasn't aged well.

Okay, fair enough. The film overall is divisive, with most not liking it, no dispute there. However when it comes to the “Martha scene”, more often than not, I see people complain about it with nothing more than the ”it was dumb” argument, but no constructive criticism on how it should’ve played out, been acted or written. I rarely come across someone whom didn’t like it that can give a better way to connect Clark and Bruce in that moment to keep Batman from killing Superman. I get the whole different strokes for different folks and all, and not everybody is going to like everything, but I can’t take peoples opinions seriously if they can’t back stuff up beyond the “it’s stupid“ complaint. It’s like A) how is it ”stupid“? and B) how would could it been done better?