Will Justice League Make A Billion?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for tsciallsolle3451
TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jedixman said:

Domestically? Star Wars didn't make $1b domestically. If Star Wars couldn't do it, I have serious doubts that the Justice League can.

obviously not, no film had hit US$1 billion on the US Box Office so far

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#52 JediXMan  Moderator
@jedixman said:

Domestically? Star Wars didn't make $1b domestically. If Star Wars couldn't do it, I have serious doubts that the Justice League can.

Star Wars came close. I wish it had managed to do it.

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Snyder directs it, JL wouldn't cross $800 million. In fact they will be lucky to get even $750 million. But if Warner Bros. wake up and fire Snyder, the movie will have a great shot at crossing a billion. By the way, I completely disagree with the Forbes article. The author is basically suggesting that JL may have a ceiling of around $900 million. That's nonsense. BVS will end up making between $800 to $900 million WITHOUT good reviews and word of mouth. So do great reviews and word of mouth don't have absolutely any impact on the box office gross? That's of course false. Deadpool and Zootopia did incredible business precisely because of reviews and great word of mouth. BVS would have easily crossed a billion if it was a good movie. I usually like the articles written by Scott Mendelson but he is completely wrong here.

TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:
@tsciallsolle3451 said:
@jedixman said:

Star Wars came close. I wish it had managed to do it.

I am not too familiar with how US films market themselves internationally.

Is it because Star Wars' star power isn't as strong outside of the United States?

Is it because Star Wars focused their marketing within the US instead of going global?

Maybe someone who knows about Star Wars film making process would know about this.

TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Snyder directs it, JL wouldn't cross $800 million. In fact they will be lucky to get even $750 million. But if Warner Bros. wake up and fire Snyder, the movie will have a great shot at crossing a billion. By the way, I completely disagree with the Forbes article. The author is basically suggesting that JL may have a ceiling of around $900 million. That's nonsense. BVS will end up making between $800 to $900 million WITHOUT good reviews and word of mouth. So do great reviews and word of mouth don't have absolutely any impact on the box office gross? That's of course false. Deadpool and Zootopia did incredible business precisely because of reviews and great word of mouth. BVS would have easily crossed a billion if it was a good movie. I usually like the articles written by Scott Mendelson but he is completely wrong here.

don't be too concerned about the numbers. The numbers are just arbitrary figures.

What we do agree is that JL movie's box office revenue will be influenced by both previous reputation of the franchise AND the movie's reviews. What people don't agree on is how much of an influence would these two factors be on the box office revenue.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#56 JediXMan  Moderator

@tsciallsolle3451:

Well, domestically, it made $930 million, 70m short of 1b. So the US marketing was fine; it's still the first movie to make $800m and later $900m, becoming the highest domestically grossing movie in the United States (without adjusting for inflation; adjusted for inflation, Gone with the Wind is #1 and The Force Awakens is #9). Globally, it made $2b, coming third place to Titanic ($2.1b) and Avatar ($2.7).

Problem is, globally, it came out a month late in China, the world's second largest movie consumer (the US being #1). As such, the stellar release they were expecting from China was disappointing.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By mickey-mouse
Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_samantha: That's why I said, "really good".

Just because I hate Snyder now doesn't mean I want him to fail in the future. It seems he's already locked into JL, so the best I can do is hooe he gets it right this time around.

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

@saint_samantha: That's why I said, "really good".

Just because I hate Snyder now doesn't mean I want him to fail in the future. It seems he's already locked into JL, so the best I can do is hooe he gets it right this time around.

I know you don't want him to fail. That's besides my point. I just feel like you should wish that it's quality is "good" instead of wishing that the movie make more money. We're all fans, of course we want it to succeed :) (w/ the exception of the occasional pessimist).

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS might not make a billion.

Sad reality. If it doesn't. We probably won't get all those DCeU films they announced.

Get rid of Snyder or replace his co-directing wife with Grant Morrison.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Asgaard

But that can be overruled by B v S negative Hype, like i said Wonder Woman can still build some positive hype but not in the scale to overrule the current negative around B v S...

Remember that Batman Begins was very well received by critics and GA but still only made $374M worldwide (and only was released 8 years after Batman & Robin) sure that today there are other rules and variables and B v S impact was not so negative like Batman & Robin, but still is wrong think that when a movie is not well received that variable will not affect the sequel performance, and B v S and the Justice League movie are deeply connected...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I think WB is gonna have to do a better job reaching out to the GA. Maybe throw some more events, but make it more accessible to the GA and not just hardcore fanboys.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If it pleases the masses, something BvS didn't care about doing.

This is very true. But my question is is that a bad thing?

Mr0Mister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath said:

Yes. That's what generates the most revenue and you still want to keep the audience happy.

They are entertainers, that's their job, pleasing the fans.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Asgaard

@lukehero said:

@asgaard: I think WB is gonna have to do a better job reaching out to the GA. Maybe throw some more events, but make it more accessible to the GA and not just hardcore fanboys.

Yes, that is a key point that Cv and comic book sites in general forget, the common movie going audience will not be waiting for every news regarding the Justice League movie, maybe they will see a poster for the movie in November of 2017 and think that they dislike B v S and would prefer to watch other movie franchise, in this scenario the quality factor will be irrelevant because they will not even give it a chance...

The different build up for the Mcu and Dceu also has weight because the Incredible Hulk hype for te Avengers was meh and Iron Man 2 also was kinda weak but they keep going and Thor & Cap solo movies were successful enough to keep building the premise of a shared universe, and the Avengers made the concept incredibly more noticeable for GA, in the Dceu is more like look how cool Batman friends are, the problem is when Batman movies are not that cool anymore for GA... We can spin B v S box office numbers in several ways but will make less money (worldwide) than TdkR and that numbers are always problematic for WB...

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:
@black_wreath said:

Yes. That's what generates the most revenue and you still want to keep the audience happy.

Nolan didn't give a crap about pleasing the masses and his movies still made a ton.

TWS also was a more serious, less family friendly movie but it still made a reasonable amount.

We also have instances where they do appeal to the masses, and it comes out trash: the Transformers films.

Mr0Mister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr0mister said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@black_wreath said:

Nolan didn't give a crap about pleasing the masses and his movies still made a ton.

TWS also was a more serious, less family friendly movie but it still made a reasonable amount.

We also have instances where they do appeal to the masses, and it comes out trash: the Transformers films.

Majority of people loved the Batman trilogy, whether they are fans of comics or not. Kids still watched it.

A serious movie, but it wasn't spooky or dark. It sill appealed to the masses, and had some of the usual MCU humor.

Majority of people hate those films, it's just parents that take their kids because kids live explosions.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:
@mr0mister said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@black_wreath said:

Majority of people loved the Batman trilogy, whether they are fans of comics or not. Kids still watched it.

A serious movie, but it wasn't spooky or dark. It sill appealed to the masses, and had some of the usual MCU humor.

Majority of people hate those films, it's just parents that take their kids because kids live explosions.

No, that's my point. Dark Knight wasn't a movie that appealed to the masses; it wasn't lighthearted in nature and had some relatively mature content and themes. However, people still loved it (particularly men in there 20s-50s), and it still made a ton. The Winter Soldier wasn't like other Marvel movies. It, again, was a movie with relatively mature subjects and a movie that an average 8 year old would have a problem following.

The Transformers movies appeal to the masses but are still bad.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

If its good quite possibly otherwise probably not.

Mr0Mister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Mr0Mister

@petey_is_spidey: I don't think that just because a film is serious means that it won't appeal to kids.

My younger cousins watched both TDK and TWS, and they loved both films. Granted, there were 2 or 3 parts that confused them in TWS.

They also watched Transformers, and loved those films even more (damn kids).

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@black_wreath said:

When a studio sinks a reputed $400mil into a film it needs to be one for everyone. Multiple dream sequences reeked of self-indulgence, BvS was not the time to get self-indulgent. I'm all for artistic expression but there comes a point when the film is no longer about the director - it's about the audience.

I am no anti-Snyder but the biggest turn-offs in BvS were the ones with his fingerprints all over them. I personally felt much of his direction came off selfish.

LarryAshlynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how well Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman does.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@usha said:

Yes. I'm from the future and it does.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@usha said:

Oh my

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this post is 1 year and 8 months old yet it's freaking true

!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@usha said:

Oh my

C'mon give him a break, he is from an alternate future

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for purpledeadragon
PurpleDeaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By PurpleDeaDragon

Lol

Usha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:
@saberscar223 said:
@usha said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
@farkam said:
@trust_this_786 said:
@usha said:

Oh my

C'mon give him a break, he is from an alternate future

Oh yes, I forgot that my travel to the past also made me change to an alternate World. My time calculations were all wrong.

It appears that in your World, WB allowed Zack Snyder to continue his work in the DCCU with Justice League to then be finished by Joss Whedon yet WB put on a 2 hour Mandate?

I'm so lucky to have seen the amazing Best Picture Oscar winning Justice League film back on my Earth. Sucks to be you suckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs!!!!!

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack said:
@from_beyond said:

this post is 1 year and 8 months old yet it's freaking true

!!!!!!!!!!

Some of us have been screaming at Warner Bros to not let Snyder direct any DC movie for four years now. Things have turned out exactly as we thought they will with a poor director at helm. Unfortunately, Warner Bros couldn't see what we did four years ago.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does a JL film even bomb?

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for generalbeastgod
generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barely half that. This just doesn't seem real.

KingofBBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Made 636 million.

Meanwhile captain america civil war made 1.125 BILLION. Winter Soldier made 773 million. Avengers made 1.5 BILLION.

In short. DC is dead and best bet is to stick to cartoon movies.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is a little funny looking back now.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll make a billion just wait till next weekend when they make 5 billion dollars.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

Thor Rags made nearly 850 mil

JL made 650 mil

a B list character movie beat the A list team.... is it time to give up on the DCEU? rhetorical question as we never should had hope in the first place... a Snyder led CU was doomed to failure.

Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Thor Rags made nearly 850 mil

JL made 650 mil

a B list character movie beat the A list team.... is it time to give up on the DCEU? rhetorical question as we never should had hope in the first place... a Snyder led CU was doomed to failure.

Loading Video...

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell No

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Made 636 million.

Meanwhile captain america civil war made 1.125 BILLION. Winter Soldier made 773 million. Avengers made 1.5 BILLION.

while saying Jl flopped is true. However claiming rubbish like DC is dead is complete nonsense. DC is smashing it with comic sales against marvel. yeah jl flopped but their previous movies did well.

KingofBBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofbbc said:

Made 636 million.

while saying Jl flopped is true. However claiming rubbish like DC is dead is complete nonsense. DC is smashing it with comic sales against marvel. yeah jl flopped but their previous movies did well.

When i made reference to DC being dead it is in reference to their live action movie franchise.

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@usha said:

No Caption Provided

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

said:
@kingofbbc said:

Made 636 million.

What sort of statement is this ? Marvels entire phase one made 3.8 bill and the DCEU first five films have.. (I've added what JL is tracking to make (675)) made a total of 3.783 bill. How is DC dead when they're damn close to how the MCU started?

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanforever said:
@kingofbbc said:

Made 636 million.

When i made reference to DC being dead it is in reference to their live action movie franchise.

moneywise no the verse is not dead yet. they made close to 4 billion out of 5 movies. yes some of the movies were expensive. however they made shit ton of total profit to cover for Justice league. Though justice league will barely break even so its not like they lost shit ton of money on that movie, but they didnt make profit either. Also they will release blu ray and extended cut and probably makes another 60-70 million by that.

Also this is studio Warner bros, not your average studio. This studio has so much money they would easly be able to do another movie without much trouble.

Yes JL was boc office disaster for the caliber its actually supposed to be. however making claims like DCEU is dead yet again is still rubbish. They released big schedule of the movies they are gonna make and some of them are already is in progress. Dc is not its just having trouble with making quality movies atm and thats matter of opinion aswell. What wb needs to do is re arange their stuff and change their directors and plans. Although i like Zack snyder, its pretty clear that his vision does not work. So dc will probably change everything and go on.