Will Joker win more Oscars than Black Panther?

• 84 results
TonyMartial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll: Will Joker win more Oscars than Black Panther? (84 votes)

Yes 63%
No 30%
It wont get any 7%

Black Panther won 3 Oscars, can Joker get more?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
Beyond_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Beyond_Dreams

Black Panther winning oscars was just bias. It's an incredibly mediocre film, the only reason it got so successful was because of it being the first african superhero film.

Joker is objectively a much better movie.

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best shot is Best Actor. Don't know about it winning any technical awards. 3 is going to be a high bar to clear, regardless of comparative quality.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope so, especially actor, should get nomination for best picture and director IMO. But I don't really care, after BP was nominated for best picture.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It should be nominated for Best Actor, Best Director, Best Picture, on the technical side Best Score, Cinematography and possibly Best original screenplay.

I can see it winning at least 3 of those.

Scholomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Scholomance  Online

Black Panther winning oscars was just bias. It's an incredibly mediocre film, the only reason it got so successful was because of it being the first african superhero film.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's hope so.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gracetrack

Hope it doesn't win any. It's a garbage film glorifying a mass murdering psychopath, and in this day and age I can only imagine there will be an uptick in real life shootings (in no small part) because of it. Last thing we need to be doing is rewarding the makers of such movies. I know I might get some backlash for this comment/opinion, but I don't care.

As for Black Panther, I don't think it should've been nominated for any Oscars either, other than maybe for costume design. It was an entertaining movie, but not particularly award worthy, in my opinion.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

^ LMAO

Scholomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Scholomance  Online

^ LMAO

Don't bother responding, clearly a troll.

Avatar image for floydfromhell97
floydfromhell97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We'll see

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How was it bias? So if this was a white movie and it won those awards no one would bat an eye. Just another white movie getting awards. But Black Panther got awards cause "just bias". lol

Its ok to not like a film but you dont need to downplay its achievements just because you dont like it. Avatar is the most overrated movie of all time and I get bored watching it when it comes on TV, but it 10000000% deserved its academy award for visual effects and cinematography.

What film had better costumes? Please dont say "period piece movie number 218". Those ALWAYS get nominated and win. Reward creativity.

The score was universally praised even by haters.

Production Design it 100% deserved to win. Every review I saw said the world building on Black Panther was excellent and it was.

Also, it wasnt the first African America superhero film. Have you seen Blade?

The only Award I can see Joker winning is best actor. It MIGHT get best original screenplay and cinematography. I cant think of any other award it can take.

Best Director - Possibly

Best Movie - Nope

Best Supporting Actor/Actress - Nope

Visual Effects - Nope

Score - Nope

Cinematography - Possibly

Actor - Yes

Screenplay - Possibly

Art Direction - Nope

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MAZAHS117  Online

Tbh JOKER doesn’t need any hardware to justify it’s a superior film than Panther

LowMageKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, won't get any. I don't get why it should.

Adam2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I can see it wining is best Actor. Which it deserves.

But nothing else is Oscar worthy.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 Mekboy  Online

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Blackdog2009

Black Panther was NOT an Oscar caliber movie. There was an agenda with all that false hoopla.

JOKER is an Oscar caliber movie in all aspects.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best actor,

Cinematography

Score

Costume

Make Up

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther was NOT an Oscar caliber movie. There was an agenda with all that false hoopla.

JOKER is an Oscar caliber movie in all aspects.

Please explain.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phillip33

@gracetrack: if you saw the movie as glorifying the killings joker commits then it you might be the one who needs to see someone about your psychological state. In no way, shape or form did the movie “glorify” the violence joker committed. Clearly you missed message of the film.

On topic though the joker is clearly the superior film. It has two things going against it in this particular case though. Black panther was over rewarded and joker will likely be underrewarded, due to today’s media and the way they insert their personal politics into the discussion. The oscars generally aligns with that world view.

Avatar image for purpledeadragon
PurpleDeaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This, It is a good movie but its praise is due to the race pride thing they used.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@faradaysloth said:

^ LMAO

Don't bother responding, clearly a troll.

Nah. Just stating an opinion... like everyone else.

Grace and peace. Have a lovely day.

Avatar image for purpledeadragon
PurpleDeaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be nominated for Best Actor, Best Director, Best Picture, on the technical side Best Score, Cinematography and possibly Best original screenplay.

Ehhh... well, many people say it is a bit too much like Taxi Driver and King of comedy

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@godzilla44 said:

Ehhh... well, many people say it is a bit too much like Taxi Driver and King of comedy

Just re-watched Taxi Driver on netflix, the only thing similar about the movies is featuring a deranged killer, which lots of movies have. Haven't seen King of Comedy for a while so not to sure about that but from what I can remember the only thing the movie has in common is De Niro being on a talk show. Their is subtle nods and homages to these movies but Joker solidly is completely an Original movie on its own.

Crater_Maker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder how many people here even k ow what oscars BP won.

Zezima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubtful.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope so

But there is so much controversy. I am afraid they will rob him of Oscar not to get in bad lights of "critcs"

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gracetrack

@phillip33 said:

if you saw the movie as glorifying the killings joker commits then it you might be the one who needs to see someone about your psychological state. In no way, shape or form did the movie “glorify” the violence joker committed. Clearly you missed message of the film.

Hello there! Thanks for the reply. I understand this is off topic, so this will be my last comment on the matter. Couple of things:

Some quick definitions of the word "glorify."

• to cause to be or treat as being more splendid, excellent, etc., than would normally be considered.
  • to cause to be or seem to be better than the actual condition
  • to elevate

The simple fact that it was even put to screen, and the Joker marketed as the movie's central protagonist (it's all in the title, my man), was an act of elevating and treating it as "more splendid and excellent than would normally be considered." When a character that is a gleeful mass murderer gets his own self-titled movie, yes, that in-and-of itself is an act of glorification because you are shining a spotlight on who that character is and what he represents solely for entertainment purposes.

And don't kid yourself. Warner Bros and DC did not go into this movie saying to themselves, "Gee, this movie should be a scathing morality tale showcasing the reality of how awful it is to be like the Joker, and a poignant message of the consequences of being a psychopathic killer, so that nobody will like this character or want to read about him in our comic books." Lol. No, Warner/DC knew exactly what they were doing. At the of the day, this film was made for people who simply want to see the Joker be the Joker and do what Joker does.

Grace and peace.

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KillBilly
@gracetrack said:

Hope it doesn't win any. It's a garbage film glorifying a mass murdering psychopath, and in this day and age I can only imagine there will be an uptick in real life shootings (in no small part) because of it. Last thing we need to be doing is rewarding the makers of such movies. I know I might get some backlash for this comment/opinion, but I don't care.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of movies like; The Godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas, American Psycho and other movies that have villainous or morally ambiguous main characters? Do you dislike those as well? Do you think they should be banned and kept out of the public's access?

How about violent video games that reward people for committing heinous virtual acts such as murder?

Would you extend that to people not being able to talk about these subjects unless they immediately condemn those things that you consider bad? I only ask because that could also potentially lead to people becoming sympathetic with those sorts of things.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Where is the line for you and why do you think you know where the best place to draw it is. I'm not doing this to embarrass you btw, only make you think about these things.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdskns4eva: Blade isn't an African superhero movie. Blade is an American man in an American country.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beyond_dreams: All film is subjective...a movie cannot be objectively better.

Aka_aka_aka_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aka_aka_aka_ak

Why ask via BP? Why not ask "Will Joker win more than 3 Oscars?"?

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By phillip33

@gracetrack:

So like others have said, was it wrong to put to screen movies like American psycho, American Gangster, The Godfather, Goodfellas, and Scarface? Just putting something to screen does not make anything more splendid than it actually is, just like how making a documentary of Jeffery Dahmer would not be a glorification of mass murder or mass murderers. To show the steps it takes to make a mass murder, the predisposed or underlying conditions they may have, and to show the societal pressures that may have pushed these people to do what they’ve done is not glorification. Rather it gives us an understanding of the things That happen to bring these horrific actions and thoughts to fruition, whether they be societal or personal. I think that is an extremely important to show, first of all just so us as an audience can grasp another thread of human nature that is difficult to try to understand, and so we can see these warning signs and make sure that these things don’t happen again, to rectify the mistakes that cause all of these things to happen in the first place. To say that this movie shouldn’t have been made, you must also say that the movies I mentioned before should not have been made. That would be explicit artistic censorship, and in these cases, the erasure of works of art that have gone on to define and revolutionize film making to this day.

I’m beginning to think you never saw the movie, because if you had you would see that this movie is not about a gleeful mass murderer. Yes, the character that this movie is based on has been such in the past, but none of the marketing for the movie, or the movie itself has reflected this. Honestly if you removed the name joker from the script, replaced Thomas Wayne with some other name, and turned Gotham into New York, this movie would have still been a great movie based on a mentally ill persons descent into madness that is brought about mainly by a cruel society.

You’re right with your assessment, that’s not what Warner bros thought when they brought about this movie. They thought about making money. Todd Phillips on the other hand wasn’t as much about the money, and instead focused on building a captivating story. But if applied to Todd Phillips your assessment would be technically right as well, just not for the same reason. Todd Phillips did not mean to tell a tale about how this comic book character the joker was a really bad person and did a lot of really bad things in an explode, gratifying way. Todd Phillips made about the mentally ill and how Ill treated they are by the government and society as a whole. A movie that showed how a severely mentally ill person could, with the wrong societal pressures, with poor treatment, and with a few bad moments of significance and ridicule, could turn into a despicable being. How maybe not all psychopathic killers are simply born that way, and are instead molded that way by society and the people around him. You have thoroughly missed the point, if you watched it at all, of this movie.

Wot_m8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not, coz unlike Black Panther, Media won't cry racist if Joker does not win an oscar.

Sup3rn0va

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will this be the last "Will Joker..." thread today?

Probably not

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gracetrack

@killbilly: The specific movies you cited released in a much different time period and cultural climate, my man. Equally as important, none of those films highlight the journey of a socially awkward, mentally unstable person as he is being shunned, ridiculed, and/or tormented by his peers until finally he is so twisted up inside that he "snaps" and becomes a killer. Does any of that sound familiar? It should. It's the impetus for pretty much every mass shooting in the last decade.

You ask if all such movies and media should be banned? That's a seriously loaded question. In general, I don't believe censoring or banning things from the general public is a good idea, no. Freedom of speech is a U.S. Constitutional right, and it's a good one. Bad ideas are defeated by presenting BETTER ideas, not by shutting down freedom of thought, speech, or expression (that would be the Fascist approach to things), and I never suggested imposing a ban was a good course of action. However, censoring something bad versus not showering it with awards are two separate issues. I was speaking to the latter, not the former.

And no, I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to award it if that's what they want to do. Again, 1st Amendment. What I am saying is that I think showering it with praise at the most watched film award ceremony in our nation is incredibly stupid, completely disregards the current cultural climate, and will ultimately be counter-productive to our health as a nation. That is all.

(If you wish to discuss this off-topic subject further, please just PM me.)

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gracetrack

@phillip33: I beg to differ. I've not missed the point of anything. Whatever Todd's intentions were in creating the film, that does not mean there aren't people out there who will misinterpret and possibly use it as a basis for committing actual atrocities, despite his intentions. History alone is enough to tell you that this much is true (see The Dark Knight, or the atom bomb, or the Crusades).

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Henry G. Bohns

(If you wish to discuss this off-topic subject further, please just PM me.)

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

First of all, let be honest, Oscar do not choose what they think is the best movies and there is lots of politics in it. Not just race or what people consider SJW agenda, but money, popularity (both ways), treatment etc.

I do think the category BP won was well deserved. Did it deserved an Oscar nomination for best picture; hell no. But the backlash, plus the money, and attention they get with Black Panther and the fact it is critically love enough does give them incentive to nominate it. I mean they nominated Bohemian Rhapsody despite critically being mixed and have awarded Crash an Oscar. So is not like the Oscars are perfect when it comes to nominating movies.

I do think Joker should be nominated for best actor, original screenplay (maybe), cinematography and best picture. Only one it should definetely win is best actor imo. I do not think the movie need to be nominated for best picture simply bc Black Panther was nominated. Since by that logic any decent movie should get nominated since they better than Crash. Its about nominating the right movies.

Hopefully the controversy does not impede it from gaining any oscars.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By phillip33

@gracetrack: art is not to blame for the acts that crazy people commit, its the crazy people themselves. Cultural climate should not impact art, and even then I’d like to know exactly how this movie impacts or is impacted by today’s cultural climate?? This movie is a commentary on mental health, not white incel mass murderers. Yes you have missed the point, and by talking about the dark knight your argument falls apart. That’s because the Aurora shooter WASNT EVEN INSPIRED BY THE JOKER. His red hair (which isn’t even jokers color of hair) was coincidence that the shooter adopted before the dark knight came to be, and that was the literal only reason people said he was inspired by the joker. The court and the murderer himself refuted this rumor.

You can PM me if you want if you have anything valid to say about the topic I guess.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Penguin-Dust

Just a reminder that many Oscars are political, either societally motivated or for topics important within the industry. The award is often used to send a message from the Academy to the greater world or to its members and the film industry as a whole. That doesn’t negate its value as it captures the mood of voters at that time. In a sense, the Academy Awards are as much performance as the art form they celebrate.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yee. Much better in every way

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Supermanforever

Oscars dont determine how great a movie is. Joker is ten times better film than black panther is with or without Oscars. BP winning Oscars was mostly due to "black people" agenda and all. That movie was nowhere near Oscar winning. But politics ofc.

But probably will win Best actor in a leading Role, best cinematograpy, maybe best achievement in sound effects, best picture.

But time will tell.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m very curious on how the bloody hell black panther WON awards due to a damn agenda. Seriously, people are getting ridiculous with that, only thing that could possibly apply to is the best picture nomination, that’s all, and it didn’t win that.

To answer this question, only thing I could see Joker definitely winning is best actor (if it got nominated)

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for Black Panther, I don't think it should've been nominated for any Oscars either, other than maybe for costume design. It was an entertaining movie, but not particularly award worthy, in my opinion.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther won an Oscar for best visual effects... the movie had awful effects especially in the final fight where PS2 games were more realistic looking...

Black Panther is a decent film but its not anything close to being an Oscar level movie it was overhyped and heavily influenced by politics as to why it was nominated

A couple of years ago the academy was stomped on because there were no black nominees and they were not in public favor

Then a black superhero movies gets made that generates a lot of money and hype so know the academy washes there hands by giving and nominating this mediocre film with awards

Joker will win not awards because of todays politics where as Black Panther did because of it

Joker is obviously a better film

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

At the end of the day, does it really matter?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

Black Panther won an Oscar for best visual effects... the movie had awful effects especially in the final fight where PS2 games were more realistic looking...

Black Panther won for Best Original Score, costumes and production design. First Man won for visual effects while BP wasn't even nominated in said category.

This thread reminds me of another bait a few months ago, where someone was saying Suicide Squad is better than the entire MCU since SS had an Academy Award win while the MCU had none at the time. BP won in multiple technical categories while Joker (by hype) has a shot at some of the major categories, notably Best Actor.

My bet is it won't win as many as BP (if it even wins at all), but it won't matter. Does Joker need to win "Best Production Design" to validate its superiority?

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther didn't win for visual effects, it wasn't even nominated in that category. It won for Original Score, Production Design and Costume Design.

OT: You guys have got to stop equating quality with Oscars and comparing different years. Some of the best films, actors and directors have won zero Oscars. It's not a reflection on quality, but Oscar voters tastes/preferences in any given 12 month period. To be quite honest, they get it wrong quite often. It's just a group of voters opinion at a given time.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It doesn't need some over-glorified golden dildo to prove its already established superiority.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

The thing is that from what I'm seeing is that several people are trying to associate Joker with a negative issue like gun violence,unlike Black Panther which was boosted tremendously by being an all black movie. Get the feeling this might prevent Joker from being nominated.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see it getting nominated for Best actor definitely, everything else is up in the air. I think we all need to address the elephant in the room and admit that the people who head the Academy still think comic book movies are jokes, whether they be marvel or DC. Let's not forget that The Dark Knight was snubbed along with Logan for Best Picture.

The elite Hollywood filmmakers and their peers do not think Comic Book movies deserve a place at their table. Recent comments from Martin Scorsese highlights how the old gatekeepers of Hollywood feel about these films. They think they are mindless entertainment and that's it.

Whether you like or hate Black Panther, you have to acknowledge that it opened the door for the comic book movies that will come after. And keep in mind that the Academy didn't even want to nominate Black Panther for Best Picture. They damn near created a whole separate category to try and place them in. But the reason we are even having this discussion about Joker and potentially Endgame getting nominations is because a previous CBM paved the way to do so.

That should be the biggest takeaway from Black Panther getting nominated; that it created opportunities for other films in the genre that will come after, not being salty that it got nominated and you don't believe it should have. Because lets keep it honest, there has been past films that were nominated and even won that were way worse. I'm looking at you Crash.