Will episode 9 fail to make a billion at the box office?

• 72 results
Avatar image for deactivated-61e3068763b41
deactivated-61e3068763b41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will episode 9 fail to make a billion at the box office? (87 votes)

Yes 51%
No 49%

The last jedi dropping heavy from the force awakens and solo's disappointing tracking, and the general feel with star wars right now has got me thinking about episode 9's performance

• 
TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I doubt it, Star Wars would pretty much be dead if that was the case.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's possible. Maybe not likely but possible.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's the last movie in the current trilogy and because audiences seem so split on the new movies I think that means more people might be seeing episode 9, if only just to say that they saw it and so they can say how great or terrible they thought it was. Like Infinity War, regardless of quality, it will be THE big movie that comes out during that time and people are going to want to be part of the conversation.

StellatedColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably. I predict that it will make around 1.3-1.5 billion. A bit more than The Last Jedi but less than The Force Awakens.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt it honestly theres no one left from the original cast Rey and Kylo have this weird emo tension where they want to bang and kill each other at the same time cringey

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I think it still will. It is Star Wars after all.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Doubt it honestly theres no one left from the original cast Rey and Kylo have this weird emo tension where they want to bang and kill each other at the same time cringey

I'm pretty sure that Luke might be coming back as a force ghost. Hamill said he isn't against returning for the next movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b17f1b84ea5f
deactivated-5b17f1b84ea5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though it will most likely be bad, i'll see it.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: after TLJ who cares it's become a cluster feminism and emo sexual tension

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With both Luke and Han gone, it will not have much of the nostalgia factor, so it it will almost certainly make less than The Last Jedi. I figure it will do between 800M and 1.2 billion. Over 1 billion is probably more likely than under. I would be very surprised if it tops the Last Jedi. I would not be that surprised if it does slightly less than 800M.

Kylo Ren has been horribly, horribly cast and his presence will not help this movie at all.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thatduderox

I'm pretty sure it will, but not completely 100% positive. The Last Jedi was extremely polarizing, and it didn't help that fans felt like Disney, Johnson, and Kennedy gave them the middle finger for their complaints. The media basically demonized you; calling you racist and misogynistic if you didn't like the film, creating an us vs them vibe between fans and lucasfilm. Can't say for certain if that played into Solo's low opening, but if I were Kathleen Kennedy, I would be worried nonetheless. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney pulled a DCEU, and spend a year trying to get fans back on their side before their next big release.

Apocofist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will cross the billion dollar mark but It most likely won't be the juggernaut that Disney hoped for it to be.

Take a look at the Chinese Box office, they're basically a potato on arrival.

m2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely possible. Overseas is losing interest with a more frequent release. Domestic will still be high but fans are more polarized than ever. It needs good word of mouth more than ever.

Either way, I don't think it grosses more than TLJ cuz the side effects from that and now Solo are still on the negative.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I change my vote. Solo made it clear that Disney is struggling with Star Wars, I think there's a huge chance that Episode 9 will fail to cross a billion.

Malzahaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked 7-8 so I'll be watching it.

ZackAttack14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because as much as people hate the last Jedi EVERYBODY will check it out just in case it doesn't suck.

silvanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I will watch it (unless the review/word of mouth are BvS level terrible). Most of the fans who declared they are done with star wars are probably secretly holding on hoping for a good star wars movie. If trailer can get them hyped up, it will.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it does. Disney has seriously mishandled Star Wars and their product deserves to fail.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatduderox: what you said. I can't believe how quickly Disney killed my interest in this franchise.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

With Episode 8 and Solo being such critical disasters, the possibilities have become a lot higher

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if that that planned Boba Fett movie is still a good idea. I mean is he's really that famous outside nerd circles to warrant a movie? For majority of general audience, he was finished off in ROTJ. Even a iconic character like Han Solo is struggling but some blame can also be placed on bad release timing.

RL4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt it. Only raging nerds see the new trilogy as trash. 99% of audiences, casual viewers will watch it out of nostalgia no matter what lol.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rl4 said:

Doubt it. Only raging nerds see the new trilogy as trash.99% of audiences, casual viewers will watch it out of nostalgia no matter what lol.

Really? Then why is Solo currently flopping? If the key was just nostalgia and nothing else, Solo would be the highest grossing Disney-Star Wars movie, not the lowest.

The backlash against The Last Jedi didn't just come from Star Wars fanboys, it came from general audiences as well, and because of it, a lot aren't interested in Solo.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Penguin-Dust

Doubtful since its a mainline Star Wars story and it will be wrapping up this current trilogy, but anything is possible. Considering we know absolutely nothing of Episode 9 other than the principle characters are in it and it was supposed to be Carrie Fisher heavy, I’m gonna give J. J. Abrams the benefit of the doubt since Episode 7 made two billion dollars worldwide.

The question I have is if after Avengers 4 is released, and Kevin Feige says “I oversaw 22 Marvel movies and spent a decade in that sandbox, I want to try something else,” would you like him to take over Star Wars or prefer he did something largely different (and I don’t mean the DCEU)?

Gamer-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Star Wars is dead and it will be reborn in my image"

Kathleen Kennedy

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:

With Episode 8 and Solo being such critical disasters, the possibilities have become a lot higher

The final episodic film will certainly cross a billion.

Last Jedi still made 1.3 billion at the box office.

Just because its disliked a lot on the internet doesnt mean its disliked in the real world. Episode 8 was a critical disaster? Hop onto Rotten Tomatoes and look at the critic score.

m2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solo's on course for 400 WW, give or take. Yikes!

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if E9 falls within 800 to short of a billion.

Boba Fett, Obi-wan, R2d2 lol. or whatever they got planned to throw out there's gonna bomb so hard.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tonymartial: how about you got there and look at the audience score. That's a better indicator of whether or not people are interested in the franchise.

RL4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster:

I said the *new trilogy*

It’s not like Rogue One was a smash hit. No one cares about the spin off movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rl4 said:

Doubt it. Only raging nerds see the new trilogy as trash. 99% of audiences, casual viewers will watch it out of nostalgia no matter what lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ee3ec20377
deactivated-5b3ee3ec20377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solo bombed and the intelligent audience has spoken on the true status of TLJ. It's possible, but then again bad movies always make money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: The audience score which was rigged by Disney haters?

How about we look at Cinemascore instead (when they wait outside of the cinema screening and ask people to fill in a questionnaire, not an internet review)? It received A.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrmonster

@rl4 said:

@mrmonster:

I said the *new trilogy*

It’s not like Rogue One was a smash hit. No one cares about the spin off movies.

Two things.

1. My point was that Solo flopped because of how much hatred the main trilogy (namely The Last Jedi) got. It turned general audiences away from the franchise.
  2. "It’s not like Rogue One was a smash hit." Yes it was, it made over a billion dollars, leaving it the second highest grossing movie of 2016. Solo will be lucky to make 650 million.
RL4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster:

Solos not doing well because it’s a bad movie addled by problems all throughout its production.

And if Rogue one was so good, where’s rogue two huh?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: The audience score which was rigged by Disney haters?

How about we look at Cinemascore instead (when they wait outside of the cinema screening and ask people to fill in a questionnaire, not an internet review)? It received A.

Image result for perplexed gif

See, you could have just pointed out the Cinema Score and I wouldn't really have a retort for that. It would just be up in the air as to whether or not it tanks.... but then you said the DIsney Haters thing... and I'm just perplexed by the notion that you believed those words you typed. I want you to think long and hard about what you just said and why it's wrong.

Here's a hint- Look at the audience scores for TFA, RO and Infinity War. And then come back and tell me that you still believe in this Disney Haters theory.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: To be fair you're right, I just remember a lot of facebook pages of people saying "bomb the Last Jedi score" /articles. So they're haters but they dont have a big impact as I thought so I concede.

I think things like Cinemascore are more reliable. Another review platform is Amazon reviews when DVDs are released, look through the verified purchases and most of them are over 3/5.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

rich white stars wars producers don't care about you fans.

GeraltsOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GeraltsOpinion

Fans don't trust critics when it comes to star wars. It can get rave reviews and still be hated by most fans. I trust jj Abrams more than Rian Johnson. The force awakens was actually good. Then Rian Johnson sh*t all over 30 years of anticipation for Luke's return.

Even most audience scores where positive towards the force awakens.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rl4 said:

@mrmonster:

Solos not doing well because it’s a bad movie addled by problems all throughout its production.

And if Rogue one was so good, where’s rogue two huh?

1. "Solos not doing well because it’s a bad movie addled by problems all throughout its production." Yeah, because mainstream audiences care so much about what happens behind the scenes. When was the last time you heard a family or a group of friends discussing what movie to see and someone saying "Ugh, not that one, I heard they had to reshoot 80% of the principal photgraphy." I'm betting never. Solo failed due to a horrible marketing campaign and the very, very divisive response to The Last Jedi.
  2. "And if Rogue one was so good, where’s rogue two huh?" Have you not seen that movie? If I recall correctly, literally the entire cast is killed off at the end. Besides, you're missing the whole point of the Star Wars anthologies. The whole point of the "A Star Wars Story" brand is to tell a Star Wars story, and then tell another one, not to start a new franchise within a franchise.
mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

They might now that Solo has flopped. I think they're just now starting to realize that the alt-right are not the only people not liking their new movies.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: To be fair you're right, I just remember a lot of facebook pages of people saying "bomb the Last Jedi score" /articles. So they're haters but they dont have a big impact as I thought so I concede.

I think things like Cinemascore are more reliable. Another review platform is Amazon reviews when DVDs are released, look through the verified purchases and most of them are over 3/5.

Okay then. And sorry if I went too far and came off like a dick

You only need Cinemascores to make your point. The verified purchases are from a group of people who most likely liked the movie enough to buy it so that pool is obviously bias.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully. This new trilogy destroyed Star Wars for me, and I know a lot of people are the same

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Its just an internet forum, its all chill.

Remember, Last Jedi made 1.3 billion and The Force Awakens made 2 billion. A lot of people who turned up to the Force Awakens missed Last Jedi in cinema so I'd assume that a decent amount of those reviews were from people who missed it.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thorson said:

No Caption Provided

Kanye knows the truth.

RL4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster:

Sorry that’s what I meant in the first part, their advertisement campaign was really bad. With the household names in the cast, the advertisement should end been a slam dunko.

As for “Rogue two” that was supppsed to be a joke, but in all seriousness, it was outperformed by both of the new main story SW movies.

Rogue 1 made a shade above a billion, while both episodic films made 2 and 1.3 billion respectively. I don’t have any doubts the third movie of the new trilogy will break 1 billion.

Could be wrong, time will tell I guess.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can dream.

Zepta_Pon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People behind Star Wars don't really care about the fans today. They know people will still watch the damned movies no matter what.

Solo bombing at the box office won't be enough of a loss for them to even matter. Once EP9 comes out, it'll still most likely reach the billion $+ mark mostly because of the sheeps and shills supporting it.

SuperHulk24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will still make it.