Will Avengers: Endgame become the Highest Grossing Film of all time?

Posted by skywalker95 (5336 posts) 4 months, 29 days ago

Poll: Will Avengers: Endgame become the Highest Grossing Film of all time? (211 votes)

Yes 37%
No 48%
Poll Results 15%

Infinity War is the 4th highest grossing film of all time atm. With so much Hype and anticipation, do you think Endgame will the impossible and end Avatar's reign as the highest grossing film of all time? Or do you think it will fall like its predecessor

I personally think and hope it will beat Avatar. Avatar's had this title for 9 years now and i think it's time for a new (and better) film to surpass it. And if there's one film that deserves to beat it, it's Endgame

#201 Posted by Asgaard (4568 posts) - - Show Bio
@g2_ said:

@asgaard: I laughed because he said it wouldn't beat IW. I really like the guy though.

I am predicting that Black Panther 2, Aquaman 2 and Captain Marvel 2, all will make less money that its prequels, because the first can't always be a cultural event, the second doesn't any open December till 2027, and the third will not have another Endgame super boost...

Its kinda obvious that i will be wrong in some of the mentioned movies, but i am wrong now?

#202 Edited by g2_ (12260 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:
@g2_ said:

@asgaard: I laughed because he said it wouldn't beat IW. I really like the guy though.

I am predicting that Black Panther 2, Aquaman 2 and Captain Marvel 2, all will make less money that its prequels, because the first can't always be a cultural event, the second doesn't any open December till 2027, and the third will not have another Endgame super boost...

Its kinda obvious that i will be wrong in some of the mentioned movies, but i am wrong now?

Yes but actually no.

#203 Posted by Mister_Stark (1532 posts) - - Show Bio

@jucaslucasa: @asgaard: Don't read to far into things banter is nothing more than friendly jabs it's not like we're digging into the guy we just had a little chuckle.

#204 Posted by g2_ (12260 posts) - - Show Bio

@jucaslucasa: @asgaard: Don't read to far into things banter is nothing more than friendly jabs it's not like we're digging into the guy we just had a little chuckle.

Indeed.

#205 Edited by HigherPower (12400 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:

@higherpower:

We all in the comic book bubble keep failing hard at predicting box office numbers from B v S, JL to BP, so what is your point here? You didn't even made a prediction that dismantled @thorthunder98 post, did you?

Did you even read the thread? I did exactly that...

#206 Edited by HigherPower (12400 posts) - - Show Bio

People who make correct predictions always have bragging rights towards the people who don't; that's not changing now because you were in the wrong.

My friend told me the Rockets would get swept by the Warriors, I stated they wouldn't, and now the series is tied 2-2. Tbh, I can't even call myself a real sports fan if I don't at least hit him with a subtle "I told you so" or brag about my team.

Stop being salty and white-knighting because the most hyped movie of the decade made more money than you wanted it to.

#207 Posted by BOC (2022 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it tbh. And with inflation adjusted Gone with the Wind still holds the title.

It's done amazing and I really enjoyed it, but objectively speaking I don't think it deserves a spot over Avatar.

#208 Posted by g2_ (12260 posts) - - Show Bio

People who make correct predictions always have bragging rights towards the people who don't; that's not changing now because you were in the wrong.

My friend told me the Rockets would get swept by the Warriors, I stated they wouldn't, and now the series is tied 2-2. Tbh, I can't even call myself a real sports fan if I don't at least hit him with a subtle "I told you so" or brag about my team.

Stop being salty and white-knighting because the most hyped movie of the decade made more money than you wanted it to.

Well, you're not wrong.

#209 Edited by Asgaard (4568 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower said:
@asgaard said:

@higherpower:

We all in the comic book bubble keep failing hard at predicting box office numbers from B v S, JL to BP, so what is your point here? You didn't even made a prediction that dismantled @thorthunder98 post, did you?

Did you even read the thread? I did exactly that...

Yeah... Are you talking about the #88 post when there already were numbers and reviews for Endgame?

Even if you made your prediction (like others) in the time period where we didn't even have the advance ticket sales data, i don't think this is something worthy of "bragging rights", but if you think so...

Without reasoning its just a guess, so not really something that deserves importance...

Apparently you have no idea with you are talking, so stop with the assumptions...

No Caption Provided

@g2_:

Well, you're not wrong.

"Yes but actually no".

#210 Posted by g2_ (12260 posts) - - Show Bio
#211 Edited by HigherPower (12400 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: You know I wasn't talking to you, right? Right? I tagged you in the post that I was addressing you with, the post that succeeded it was a general statement.

Yeah... Are you talking about the #88 post when there already were numbers and reviews for Endgame?

Nope.

Even if you made your prediction (like others) in the time period where we didn't even have the advance ticket sales data, i don't think this is something worthy of "bragging rights", but if you think so...

Yes it would be if you had an actual disagreement with someone over whether Endgame would outgross IW, which I did in other threads, and on other sites, and in person.

- This one guy stated Endgame wouldn't make over 2 billion.

- I disagreed and cited predictions from box office experts among other things. There was argumentation but he held his stance.

- Where are we now?

Apparently you have no idea with you are talking, so stop with the assumptions...

You assuming I was talking to just you is the only assumption here.

#212 Posted by RBT (29479 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it's almost impossible to beat TFA domestic now. Avatar worldwide also looks unachievable.

#213 Edited by HigherPower (12400 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

Yeah, it's almost impossible to beat TFA domestic now. Avatar worldwide also looks unachievable.

With an estimated $145.8 million, Avengers: Endgame came up just a bit shy of the record $149.2 million second weekend for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but this may be an example of Disney being just a bit cautious. Tomorrow may reveal the film was able to top the record mark set by Force Awakens once weekend actuals are released, but even without that record Endgame has now grossed nearly $620 million at the domestic box office, already ranking as the ninth largest domestic release of all-time after just ten days in theaters. Just how high it will climb remains difficult to nail down, but a domestic gross topping $900 million seems like an extreme possibility.

#214 Posted by RBT (29479 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: Endgame almost definitely isn't beating TFA now, IMO. For one, it didn't break TFA's second weekend record, which is fine. But the big blow was this Monday. Endgame brought in $10m. TFA brought in more than thrice that in its second Monday. And there is yet more competition to come for Endgame. First Pikachu, then Disney is cannibalizing itself with Aladin. And then Godzilla.

#215 Posted by GoldKing (1207 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if they re-release it to theaters several months from now.

#216 Posted by HigherPower (12400 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: The weekend actuals weren't released which is the point of that quote. But regardless, TFA made 900 mill domestically after 168 days and 24 weeks in theater, and Endgame is approaching 700 mill in just 12 days. The second weekend drop is what you're talking about, but it isn't indicative of much and neither is the competition.

No Caption Provided

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=avengersvstarwars.htm

Besides I don't think Endgame needs to beat TFA's domestic gross in order to become the highest grossing movie. Them hitting 800 mill is good enough since they're still making numbers worldwide.

Avatar image for adm1ralsnackbar
#217 Posted by Adm1ralSnackbar (320 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad movies make money. Its capeshit.

#218 Edited by Asgaard (4568 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower:

Lets move on...

Domestically is very hard to beat the December releases, because December/holidays daily numbers are always great, in other month Aquaman would probably not make $335M.

Endgame made in this Monday $10M and yesterday $12M and in the same release days (after the second weekend) Star Wars 7 made $31M and $29M, then the third domestic weekend of Star Wars was right in the new year celebration, but i do agree that Endgame doesn't need to beat Star Wars domestically...

@rbt said:

I agree on the domestic part, but disagree regarding Avatar, sure that today movies lose showings very fast, but this big movies still stay in theaters (with significant showings) for like 2 months, if at the same time period IW still made more $500M, EG can't make $600M? Pokemon also looks weaker than Deadpool 2...

#219 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6901 posts) - - Show Bio

@g2_ said:
@higherpower said:
@g2_ said:
@thorthunder98 said:

Definitely not

Nothing is beating Avatar anytime soon, Endgame will even have a tough time beating IW imo.

Infinity War probably had more hype behind it than Endgame it was the Avengers film the entire MCU had been building to for years with ridiculous hype around it and even that didn't come close to scratching Avatar, it couldn't even beat Star Wars TFA and was almost $800M off from Avatar.

For Endgame to even beat IW it needs to be able to retain the audience from IW and also gain a bigger audience since IW came out but it will struggle to do that since it is heavily tied to being a sequel to IW. Not like the other Avengers films which were films with their stories and villains contained to those specific films individually.

I can 100% say Endgame won't come close to beating Avatar if you know about how movie grossing works you'll know the chances are ridiculously slim. For something to beat Avatar it's going to have to be something crazy with ridiculous marketing and maybe some new kind of movie viewing technology that has a novelty around the world which makes literally everyone want to go see it, Avatar is a complete anomaly and only grossed like that because of the 3D used in it not the quality of the film.

The biggest question on the cards imo is will Endgame gross more than Infinity War which I think it will be a close match-up.

LOL.

Lmao

Little did he know.

Eh I was wrong, I'm happy to be wrong what Endgame is doing is insane I never pictured it beating Avatar. These numbers are ridiculous.

I already acknowledged I was wrong in this same thread 10 days ago lol

I didn't think it had a chance but grossing $1.2B within 3 days of being out is a pretty damn good indicator, I think it for sure will beat Titanic and take the number 2 spot but whether it can knock off Avatar I'm not sure yet, we'll only be able to tell once we see how much it drops in the coming weeks.

I'm gonna say no right now but it will likely come closer than anything will for a long time.

Looks like I'm gonna be wrong about it beating Avatar too.

#220 Posted by HereForOneShot (174 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorthunder98: it's still not a good bet (for me) to say that EG won't suffer a huge drop in the following weeks partly due to big competition from other movies, although I will agree the "odds" of EG surpassing Avatar are at least above 50% at this point in time

#221 Posted by RBT (29479 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower:

The weekend actuals weren't released which is the point of that quote. But regardless, TFA made 900 mill domestically after 168 days and 24 weeks in theater, and Endgame is approaching 700 mill in just 12 days. The second weekend drop is what you're talking about, but it isn't indicative of much and neither is the competition.

They were. It was $147m. Endgame still failed to beat TFA's number. But that's really beside the point. The real difference starts now. From the second Monday onwards. For comparison, Endgame has made $23m in its third week(Monday+Tuesday). TFA made $61m in the same time frame... The gap is staggering. And it's only going to keep getting bigger.

Besides I don't think Endgame needs to beat TFA's domestic gross in order to become the highest grossing movie. Them hitting 800 mill is good enough since they're still making numbers worldwide.

Yeah, I agree there. Beating Avatar worldwide is certainly a possibility. Beating TFA domestic, is almost impossible, IMO.

@asgaard:I guess. And while Pikachu probably won't be as big of a competition as Deadpool 2, Aladin and Godzilla will likely be a far bigger threat than Solo. Especially in the overseas market.

Do you think Endgame can beat Avatar domestic? It's still $116m short. What about 800m?

#222 Posted by HigherPower (12400 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: Yeah a Monday in a regular May week vs a Monday during Christmas Break. It´s not hard to see why.

I think we agree on everything else.

#223 Posted by TonyMartial (10171 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

@tonymartial: I just don't see a realistic path to $2.7 billion. Competition was probably higher but Detective Pikachu is supposed to do really well IIRC and if I'm not mistaken exchange rates are worse now for making a large dollar amount than they were last year.

IW was sold as the culmination of everything relating to the MCU, had a great marketing campaign and was very well received by critics and audiences alike. Multiple moments in the theater received extended ovations(Something that I've never seen before in a film)and yet it still didn't get anywhere even near to Avatar. I just don't see it happening. It's possible, but there's no reason to think it will happen IMO.

Well what I can I say amcu, 2months later now what you thinking?

#224 Posted by BOC (2022 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it deserves a spot above Avatar from a technical standpoint. Though I thought the same for Endgame surpassing IW. I enjoyed it more than Avatar though and I wouldn't be surprised if it did pass it. I will say 60%, but 35% for inflation adjusted.

#225 Posted by Amcu (17249 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: It looks like it will beat Avatar but it should be close. Overall its overperformed astronomically beyond what most people anticipated.

#226 Posted by ANTHP2000 (29678 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I'll vote yes. Although I still have no idea why people care so much about the box office lol.

#227 Posted by Asgaard (4568 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt:

I would be surprised if Endgame didn't make $800M in the domestic market...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd742ec88b57
#228 Posted by deactivated-5cd742ec88b57 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

It has a chance to beat Avatar

#229 Edited by EmmaFrostXmen (3419 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it will, It’s projected to beat Avatar by Monday

#230 Posted by huthimamwa (2603 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump. Current likelihood?

#231 Edited by HigherPower (12400 posts) - - Show Bio
#232 Posted by LightingJack (168 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he just did

#233 Posted by eri123 (3156 posts) - - Show Bio

No,it's impossible.

#234 Posted by ourmanuel (12655 posts) - - Show Bio

Who didn’t see this coming?

Lol

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#235 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11782 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol

Oh stop it; Endgame barely beat Avatar and if not for the re-release (which increased ticket sales like 270% iirc), it would not have otherwise.

People need to stop acting like this was just sooooo obvious, because the box office numbers say otherwise.

#236 Posted by MrSunset (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@ourmanuel said:

Lol

Oh stop it; Endgame barely beat Avatar and if not for the re-release (which increased ticket sales like 270% iirc), it would not have otherwise.

People need to stop acting like this was just sooooo obvious, because the box office numbers say otherwise.

Avatar was re-released 3 times and was in cinemas for 250 + days

#237 Posted by Richubs (6572 posts) - - Show Bio

We all feel like idiots now don't we?

#238 Posted by PhantomRant (1482 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wrong.

Please forgive me for my insolence, Disney-sama.

#240 Posted by ourmanuel (12655 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: wow, that’s a lot of people

Btw, that wasn’t me you spoke to on discord, tho it was fun to watch.

#241 Posted by hyiena (5387 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrsunset said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@ourmanuel said:

Lol

#242 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11782 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyiena said:
@mrsunset said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@ourmanuel said:

Lol

Yeah, because people kept watching it.

IDK people bring up this argument, as if Avatar was in cinema for that long because it was forced to. Avatar was still making big bucks (unlike Avengers) and actually had legs (unlike Avengers), so, AS A RESULT OF ITS OWN SUCCESS, movie theaters kept it in theaters.

If anything, this is an indictment on the Avengers for being so front-loaded...

#243 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5265 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: i think people bring that up because if ya look at either films without their rerelease/expansion, Endgame would’ve came out on top (least from what I remember)

Either way, I don’t know why either side bring up how these respective films’ runs have been. They’re completely opposite of one another and can’t really be compared besides the end result

#244 Posted by Jucaslucasa (162 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay, Disney got more money

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#245 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9146 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: lmfao are you actually trying to downplay a movie that has made almost 3 billion dollars within just a few months? Man you’re hate for the MCU is truly laughable at this point. I mean come on man you’re not even trying anymore. 😂🤣

#246 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11782 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: lmfao are you actually trying to downplay a movie that has made almost 3 billion dollars within just a few months? Man you’re hate for the MCU is truly laughable at this point. I mean come on man you’re not even trying anymore. 😂🤣

So by simply pointing out that Avatar had good legs (which it did) and Avengers didn't (it wasn't as badly frontloaded as BvS, but it still had a shitty multiplier), I'm "downplaying" it???

Lol, get a life...

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#247 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9146 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: get a life? We all know it’s you that need to get a life. Man the sky could be blue and you’d still say it was black. Again you’re still trying to down play a movie that made more money than any other movie in such a small time frame. The fact Avatar took 8 months isn’t anywhere near as impressive as what Endgame achieved. Now go soak your butt in some ice to ease all that pain 🤣😂

#248 Posted by Saberscar223 (4519 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: you are wrong though.

Avatars opening weekend wasn’t even in the Top 100 so almost nobody saw it at first that’s why it was able to stay for longer while avengers has the Number One opening by a Crap ton.

So it’s a ton of people seeing it when it first comes out and gradually decreasing

Vs

Very few people saw Avatar when it first came out but people started seeing it after the fact due to word of mouth and had a steady Line.

It’s not like Avatar was a gigantic hit from the beginning and everyone kept watching it.

In fact the total amount of people people who watched Endgame beat Avatar months ago