Will Avengers: Endgame become the Highest Grossing Film of all time?

Posted by skywalker95 (5931 posts) 6 months, 29 days ago

Poll: Will Avengers: Endgame become the Highest Grossing Film of all time? (213 votes)

Yes 38%
No 47%
Poll Results 15%

Infinity War is the 4th highest grossing film of all time atm. With so much Hype and anticipation, do you think Endgame will the impossible and end Avatar's reign as the highest grossing film of all time? Or do you think it will fall like its predecessor

I personally think and hope it will beat Avatar. Avatar's had this title for 9 years now and i think it's time for a new (and better) film to surpass it. And if there's one film that deserves to beat it, it's Endgame

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#101 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio
#102 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it has no rewatch value at all, maybe the final battle but the rest is just cool cameos for which the novelty wears off after a single viewing.

#103 Edited by Darkthunder (3783 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper: they have not just butchered his powerlevel. He is just insignificant as an og avenger in that movie. Just like hulk. The both were only there for comedy

#104 Posted by HigherPower (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
#105 Edited by SleepingSlaves (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: Has it really? I wonder who was thinking it wouldn't make more than Infinity War.

#106 Posted by Superhero24 (4766 posts) - - Show Bio

no. It was a very good movie that was extremely hyped. It will make a ton, but it's a 3 hr movie though. People can't always make time for such a long movie let alone multiple viewings.

#107 Edited by Thorthunder98 (6949 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think it had a chance but grossing $1.2B within 3 days of being out is a pretty damn good indicator, I think it for sure will beat Titanic and take the number 2 spot but whether it can knock off Avatar I'm not sure yet, we'll only be able to tell once we see how much it drops in the coming weeks.

I'm gonna say no right now but it will likely come closer than anything will for a long time.

#108 Posted by Magian (153151 posts) - - Show Bio

It made over a billion already? Damn...

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
#109 Posted by war of light_2814 (2914 posts) - - Show Bio

It will definitely beat Titanic and easily at that, the only question here is whether or not it can beat Avatar.

#110 Posted by APEX_pretador (21481 posts) - - Show Bio

no. It was a very good movie that was extremely hyped. It will make a ton, but it's a 3 hr movie though. People can't always make time for such a long movie let alone multiple viewings.

eh, welcome back

#111 Posted by Subline (9535 posts) - - Show Bio

$1.2 Billion Opening Weekend, yep EG is defo gonna surpass Avatar.

#112 Posted by Superhero24 (4766 posts) - - Show Bio

@superhero24 said:

eh, welcome back

it's nice to be back.

#113 Posted by Magian (153151 posts) - - Show Bio

Do casual movie goers even watch the same movie more than once? Pretty sure most people just watch it once and that's it.

#114 Edited by HigherPower (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian: Repeat viewings are actually very common and was part of the reason why Black Panther made so much domestically.

#115 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5393 posts) - - Show Bio

@superhero24: I mean, Titanic is the number 2 highest grossing film, and that movie is longer than Endgame (yes, it was rereleased, but it still made over 300 million on said rerelease, which is still pretty impressive)

Thing is, it doesn’t matter if the movie is 3 hrs long if the movie doesn’t FEEL like 3 hrs to it’s audience. I know this is a little anecdotal, but the people I’ve talked to after watching the film all seemed to agree that while it was 3 hrs, it never felt that long

#116 Posted by jb681131 (3443 posts) - - Show Bio

@subline said:

$1.2 Billion Opening Weekend, yep EG is defo gonna surpass Avatar.

No, a superhero movie cannot surpass Avatar, because this movie only attracts youngs and superhero fans, whereas Avatar attracted a much wider range of people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc746539ff3b
#117 Posted by deactivated-5cc746539ff3b (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: 1.2b opening if it has the same legs as IW it's gonna beat Avatar.

#118 Posted by SpareHeadOne (7543 posts) - - Show Bio

No because my son went to see it with a friend instead of me. :(

#119 Posted by Magian (153151 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: Really? I just find that a bit hard to believe. For time and money reasons.

#120 Edited by MartyTannen85 (120 posts) - - Show Bio

I really doubt it would beat Avatar. The chances of Endgame beating Avatar at the box office is as high as the chances of Drake outselling Michael Jackson, The Beatles or Elvis in the music industry. Only time will tell if a future movie would beat Avatar at the box office. To do that, they should invent a new technology for cinema like 3D which was invented at the time Avatar was released.

#121 Posted by Subline (9535 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

No, a superhero movie cannot surpass Avatar, because this movie only attracts youngs and superhero fans, whereas Avatar attracted a much wider range of people.

You'll see......

#122 Posted by PayneInTheAss (12881 posts) - - Show Bio

@subline said:
@jb681131 said:

You'll see......

I don´t know if it will pass Avatar yet, but the other part of the sentence is just wrong.

#123 Posted by HereForOneShot (174 posts) - - Show Bio

US$1.22 billion opening in 5 days is really ridiculously big but I am still a bit unsure whether it can really beat Avatar in international box office.

#124 Posted by JohnCena69swag (4184 posts) - - Show Bio

It's held up by hype right now but when people realize it doesnt live up to the hype at all sales will slow down. Probably still a 2 billion dollar movie though.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#125 Posted by christianrapper (6604 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkthunder: he wasn’t insignificant at all. He did a lot. I really can’t say because of spoilers.

#126 Posted by m2k (647 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought no but that's before I heard the words of Thanos..

It is inevitable.

#127 Posted by ReaperTheGrim (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

It's held up by hype right now but when people realize it doesnt live up to the hype at all sales will slow down. Probably still a 2 billion dollar movie though.

#128 Posted by Darkthunder (3783 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper: really? He only had one emotional moment with his mom and nothing else. He and hulk were only there to lighten up the mood

#129 Posted by Gotoucanario (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it had a good chance after hearing the opening numbers but after watching it I can't imagine it having the legs of Avatar. Then again if Captain Marvel made a bill anything is possible.

#130 Posted by huthimamwa (2606 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: ...why exactly did you tag me in that post? All I did was point out the flaw in your comparisons (it was a terribly missleading false-equivalency). I never commented on how much I think the movie will make....No need to get salty with me. I hope it breaks all the records.

#131 Posted by Mad_Jim (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily..

Even far better started than IW..

The Endgame has been on the screen for only 1 week.. Has far better statistics than first 1 week of IW..

#132 Posted by Mister_Surreal (12193 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even Infinity War was able to do it with all of its hype, I doubt that Endgame will fair much better.

#133 Edited by Mister_Surreal (12193 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

No, it has no rewatch value at all, maybe the final battle but the rest is just cool cameos for which the novelty wears off after a single viewing.

I loved this movie but this is also extremely true. Infinity War is something that I can enjoy without all of the hype, but for Endgame the time travel bits and the finale are the only real parts that I would ever go back to watch.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#134 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9213 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: The fact that Endgame has a CinemaScore of A+ which is extremely rare by the way and the fact it has better reviews and Rotten Tomatoes score than IW proves your factually wrong about the rewatch ability of a Endgame. If anything Endgame will make more than IW and have even better legs. Not saying it’ll beat Avatar but this movie making over 2 billion is amazing. There won’t be many other films reaching the level of the Avengers going forward.

#135 Edited by Mister_Surreal (12193 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub: "Factually wrong" my @ss. Stop fanboying over the movie, how good them film was is subjective. I just don't see the movie as being that good without hype. Rotten Tomatoes isn't even a reliable source for movie reviews anymore. Even if you disagree, Infinity War didn't even score as high as Captain America: Winter Soldier did.

#136 Edited by Mister_Surreal (12193 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Also, reviews and money don't equal rewatchable. Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time and everyone agrees that the movie was mediocre. Hype that comes with Endgame is really what bursts people to go see the film. Had this been any other movie it beating Avatar wouldn't even be a topic.

#137 Posted by skywalker95 (5931 posts) - - Show Bio

This all depends on How Endgame fares against Pikachu and Godzilla. If it can hold them off, then it’s possible that it will surpass Avatar.

#138 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5393 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: eh, not much better? It’s already tracking to pass Infinity War after this weekend, hell, it’s possibly overtaking Titanic this weekend as well.

I never thought I’d say this, but I honestly think surpassing avatar is practically a lock

After this weekend, it’ll probably be sitting between 2.1-2.3 billion. It gets that, and it’s practically a done deal

#139 Posted by HigherPower (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

@huthimamwa: I tagged you because you (among others) doubted Endgame surpassing IW.

All I did was point out the flaw in your comparisons (it was a terribly missleading false-equivalency).

This is false, but whatever makes you sleep better.

#140 Edited by Mister_Surreal (12193 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler: I don’t know for a fact, if it will or not, my thoughts are that it will loose steam shortly after 1.5-1.8 billion. But it’s still anyone’s guess at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7ba2bb87d2e
#141 Posted by deactivated-5d7ba2bb87d2e (1532 posts) - - Show Bio

It can.

#142 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9213 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: Fanboy? You sound triggered. So because you think it’s not rewatch able that makes it so? By the way movies that make over 2 billion dollars are made due to people watching them again. These movies don’t make that by accident but by all means keep acting like you know more than the millions of people who love the movie.

#144 Posted by TheVVitchKing (1397 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s a lock now

#145 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5393 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: thing is, it’s already practically at 1.5 billion after today. Around Friday, it’ll probably be at around 1.7 billion.

Like, from what Fandango has said, repeat viewings for Endgame is 85% higher than that of Infinity War. We’re looking at the floor of its domestic likely being 800 million. The floor of China being 600 million, and the overall OS being 1.2-1.3 billion. Basically, unless there’s a full scale nuclear war (ex: Fallout style), Endgame is likely overcoming Avatar.

#146 Edited by Mister_Surreal (12193 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler: Sorry, but I honestly don’t care. I didn’t come here to have a debate.

#147 Edited by Mister_Surreal (12193 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub: The funny thing about what you said is that I never cared about it in the first place. I got annoyed because some random no it all fake making an argument about someone’s opinion.

#148 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9213 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: so you were triggered. Next time don’t make your opinion sound like a fact ok champ. It’s like you’re allergic to facts.

#149 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5393 posts) - - Show Bio
#150 Posted by Emperorb777 (11660 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, it will never pass Gone with the wind.