Will Avengers: Endgame become the Highest Grossing Film of all time?

Posted by skywalker95 (5321 posts) 4 months, 28 days ago

Poll: Will Avengers: Endgame become the Highest Grossing Film of all time? (203 votes)

Yes 37%
No 50%
Poll Results 13%

Infinity War is the 4th highest grossing film of all time atm. With so much Hype and anticipation, do you think Endgame will the impossible and end Avatar's reign as the highest grossing film of all time? Or do you think it will fall like its predecessor

I personally think and hope it will beat Avatar. Avatar's had this title for 9 years now and i think it's time for a new (and better) film to surpass it. And if there's one film that deserves to beat it, it's Endgame

#51 Posted by Kevd4wg (12856 posts) - - Show Bio

No. If anything I predict that it'll fall a little under Infinity War's gross. As I've said before in at least 1 other thread, this insane level of hype has proven all but impossible for 1 franchise to repeat, at least in such a short period of time. Just compare Star Wars: The Force Awakens to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, or Jurassic World to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

There is only 1 movie in the near future that I believe has even a remote chance of beating Avatar, and it's Avatar 2. Love him or hate him, there's no denying that James Cameron really knows how to draw an audience, at minimum I believe that Avatar 2 will still draw a Force Awakens level gross.

I think there's a pretty crucial difference between the two examples you gave and Endgame. Firstly, IW was extremely well received by audiences and critics alike and what was the most talked about thing? The Ending, which would be resolved in Endgame.

#52 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like the success of captain marvel will be a factor here

#53 Posted by mrmonster (16373 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:
@mrmonster said:

No. If anything I predict that it'll fall a little under Infinity War's gross. As I've said before in at least 1 other thread, this insane level of hype has proven all but impossible for 1 franchise to repeat, at least in such a short period of time. Just compare Star Wars: The Force Awakens to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, or Jurassic World to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

There is only 1 movie in the near future that I believe has even a remote chance of beating Avatar, and it's Avatar 2. Love him or hate him, there's no denying that James Cameron really knows how to draw an audience, at minimum I believe that Avatar 2 will still draw a Force Awakens level gross.

I think there's a pretty crucial difference between the two examples you gave and Endgame. Firstly, IW was extremely well received by audiences and critics alike and what was the most talked about thing? The Ending, which would be resolved in Endgame.

Both of those things could just as easily be said about The Force Awakens. The Force Awakens actually has a higher RT score than Infinity War. Granted Infinity War has a slightly higher audience score, but still, The Force Awakens got huge applause when it came out, and a lot of people were talking about all the open plot threads in that movie as well, and neither of those things prevented The Last Jedi from doing significantly less at the box office.

Jurassic World I will spot you though, your points do hold for that movie.

#54 Posted by thor321 (2100 posts) - - Show Bio

nope

#55 Posted by JediXMan (42893 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I think it'll make less than Infinity War. I think Infinity War had a lot more hype.

#56 Posted by Kevd4wg (12856 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:
@mrmonster said:

Both of those things could just as easily be said about The Force Awakens. The Force Awakens actually has a higher RT score than Infinity War. Granted Infinity War has a slightly higher audience score, but still, The Force Awakens got huge applause when it came out, and a lot of people were talking about all the open plot threads in that movie as well, and neither of those things prevented The Last Jedi from doing significantly less at the box office.

Jurassic World I will spot you though, your points do hold for that movie.

I'd still say that Star Wars is Star Wars, I really don't think you can compare anything to it. IW came after a ton of MCU movies and sure it's what it's building to, but it was also building to Endgame. Force Awakens showed up after no Star Wars for a very long period of time, I kinda always thought Last Jedi was going to make a lot less then TFA. TFA was the event for Star Wars, Endgame is Pt 2 of the event for MCU imo

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
#57 Posted by xMangog__Beastx (4744 posts) - - Show Bio
#58 Posted by FaradaySloth (11233 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#59 Posted by cmpunk4life (310 posts) - - Show Bio

RankTitleStudioWorldwideDomestic / %Overseas / %Year^
1AvatarFox$2,788.0$760.527.3%$2,027.572.7%2009^
2TitanicPar.$2,187.5$659.430.1%$1,528.169.9%1997^
3Star Wars: The Force AwakensBV$2,068.2$936.745.3%$1,131.654.7%2015
4Avengers: Infinity WarBV$2,048.4$678.833.1%$1,369.566.9%2018
5Jurassic WorldUni.$1,671.7$652.339.0%$1,019.461.0%2015
6Marvel's The AvengersBV$1,518.8$623.441.0%$895.559.0%2012
7Furious 7Uni.$1,516.0$353.023.3%$1,163.076.7%2015
8Avengers: Age of UltronBV$1,405.4$459.032.7%$946.467.3%2015
9Black PantherBV$1,346.9$700.152.0%$646.948.0%2018
10Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2WB$1,341.7$381.228.4%$960.571.6%2011^
11Star Wars: The Last JediBV$1,332.5$620.246.5%$712.453.5%2017
12Jurassic World: Fallen KingdomUni.$1,309.5$417.731.9%$891.868.1%2018
13FrozenBV$1,276.5$400.731.4%$875.768.6%2013
14Beauty and the Beast (2017)BV$1,263.5$504.039.9%$759.560.1%2017
15Incredibles 2BV$1,242.8$608.649.0%$634.251.0%2018
16The Fate of the FuriousUni.$1,236.0$226.018.3%$1,010.081.7%2017
17Iron Man 3BV$1,214.8$409.033.7%$805.866.3%2013
18MinionsUni.$1,159.4$336.029.0%$823.471.0%2015
19Captain America: Civil WarBV$1,153.3$408.135.4%$745.264.6%2016
20AquamanWB$1,138.8$332.929.2%$805.970.8%2018
21Transformers: Dark of the MoonP/DW$1,123.8$352.431.4%$771.468.6%2011
22The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the KingNL$1,119.9$377.833.7%$742.166.3%2003^
23SkyfallSony$1,108.6$304.427.5%$804.272.5%2012
24Transformers: Age of ExtinctionPar.$1,104.1$245.422.2%$858.677.8%2014
25The Dark Knight RisesWB$1,084.9$448.141.3%$636.858.7%201
Avatar image for indomitableregal
#60 Posted by IndomitableRegal (16943 posts) - - Show Bio

No, though honestly I wish a better film than Avatar was number 1.

#61 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13154 posts) - - Show Bio

Not likely

#62 Posted by byrd42 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

Endgame predictions- $291 M USA opening, $727 M USA total, 2.18 B world wide.

#63 Posted by MetalJimmor (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of doubt it will out-do Infinite War. Engame isn't so much a sequel as it is a continuation of Infinite War. Like a part 2.

Who would go to see Endgame if they didn't go see Infinite War? Meanwhile I am sure there are some people who saw Infinite War and decided they didn't need to see Endgame.

I suppose tons of repeat viewings might help it, but I don't see how it can significantly out-gross the part 1 of its own story.

Though maybe I am wrong and there will be a lot of people going to see Endgame without having seen Infinite War and just be very confused by what all is going on.

#64 Posted by Galactic_1000 (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

Possible

Avatar image for lovecomicsloveanimelovegameslo
#65 Posted by LoveComicsLoveAnimeLoveGamesLoveToys (197 posts) - - Show Bio
#66 Edited by Ghostodoofus2 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that I've seen it, it deserves to be more than Avatar for sure.

#67 Posted by BalancedTruth (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

lol no

#68 Posted by Amcu (17248 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd give it somewhere between a 1-3 % chance.

#69 Posted by Lan_Fan (16996 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that I've seen it, it deserves to be more than Avatar for sure.

There are a lot of movies more deserving than Avatar. It didn't really matter.

#70 Edited by Mike_Fowler (5261 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor: Holmes, the movie is practically set to out do Infinity War

It’s presales are through the roof, and the sales it’s making right now (especially China) are already breaking numerous records.

It’s looking like a possible 300m OW for both NA and China, and a possible $1 billion gross WW from the first weekend. Basically, it’s looking like it’s already set to beat a movie like titanic, (and possibly be more closer to Avatar than titanic)

#71 Posted by CCThor (1901 posts) - - Show Bio

No,it probably around same result as IW or a little above.

#72 Posted by MetalJimmor (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler:

We'll see. I am not saying it can't beat Infinite War, just that I don't think it will. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
#73 Posted by EternalDarkFury (3145 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for christianrapper
#74 Posted by christianrapper (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even close. Adjusted for inflation gone with the wind is by far the highest grossing movie. This film isn’t catching that or avatar.

#75 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

The answer is crazy.

#76 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5261 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor: just for further information, it’s doing better than IW in literally every market it’s been released in. Hell, presales for it in NA were close to 4x as much as IW. This ain’t a case of “we’ll see” anymore. Now, it’s more a case of “by how much is it gonna outgross IW”

#77 Posted by rem (2753 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think yes.

Avatar image for supermanforever
#78 Posted by Supermanforever (9328 posts) - - Show Bio

After seeing the current predictions. It looks like it will be opening with close to 900 milion global weekend. It might be possible that it will top avatar.

It has decent compeition in two weeks though with detectiv piakachu comming (very anticipated movie in asia, region were mcu movied generate shit ton of money) then john whick and few other movies.

Well looking at everything, hype etc its very possible that it will be highest grossing movie ever.

But i think the numbers will be around 2,5 billion. Avatar was unfortunate to be released at time when china was small market. Released today. it might have generated 400-500 milion more in china and top 3 billion globaly. But on topic, it might be possible.

#79 Posted by TEFUKAM (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I will say no.

I will say no2 with 2,2-2,4 B

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
#80 Posted by war of light_2814 (2846 posts) - - Show Bio

I give it about 5% chance.

#81 Posted by Emperorb777 (11449 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahahahhahahahahaha

Like mentioned when adjusted for inflation Gone with the wind, made almost 4 billion.

#82 Posted by Darkthunder (3471 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. The Russo's have seen that won't happen because of how they butchered Thor in the movie

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#83 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11766 posts) - - Show Bio
#84 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11766 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper said:

Not even close. Adjusted for inflation gone with the wind is by far the highest grossing movie. This film isn’t catching that or avatar.

@emperorb777: said

Hahahahhahahahahaha

Like mentioned when adjusted for inflation Gone with the wind, made almost 4 billion.

Gone with the wind was also released several times over the course of the last 80 years. It took GWtW 4 years (that's right, 4 years. Movies now-a-days don't even last 4 months) to make $500 million dollars in the US on 60 million ticket sales, which is good - don't get me wrong - but that's over the course of 4 freaking years; Avengers, SW, and a few other films can do that in 4 months. In fact, IM3 sold 40 million in its first 4 weeks. The next $2.8 billion dollars it made was over the course of several decades.

"BUT GWtW was released at a time with a lower global population"; Avatar sold tickets at 1.4% of the Global population in 6 month; GWtW sold only twice as many tickets (as a percentage of the global population) in 8x as much time (and that's only considering its initial release of 4 years)

If Avatar, Avengers, or Star Wars was released for 4 years with very little Box Office competition - or any competition when it comes to entertainment in general (Which was the case with GWtW) - and later re-released every 10 years over the course of 80 years, it would blow GWtW out of the water. The reality is that when you break it down, GWtW was impressive, but its impressiveness is massively inflated by the amount of time it was in theaters, along with the complete dearth of competition in the world of entertainment at the time.

And this doesn't even take into account that those inflation calculations treat every ticket sale as if it were sold in the year 1939, thus inflating its numbers even more.

So for the love of God, will people stop bringing up that movie when we're talking about Box Office performances? It's tiring and misleading.

#85 Posted by Magian (152515 posts) - - Show Bio

If it can maintain this level of momentum, sure it could I suppose.

#86 Posted by Unusedusername (75 posts) - - Show Bio

People really are underestimating the performance of movies like Godzilla and detective pikachu. They'll easily hinder endgame from beating Avatar as the highest grossing movie.

#87 Posted by dirtytree332 (742 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I think it'll surpass Titanic though.

#88 Edited by HigherPower (12399 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a chance. All the people saying it won't outgross Infinity War must not be keeping up with it's box office.

Endgame cracked 300 million by opening day.

IW made 257 mill throughout opening weekend.

Endgame grossed almost 50 million dollars more than IW in previews and opening day than IW did it's whole opening weekend. The official release date for Endgame is today, the 26th, and the weekend hasn't officially started yet.

The good reviews are only going to add to the momentum, so it is almost certain to outgross IW. Whether it will beat Avatar, I have no idea, but it has a good chance.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#89 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9138 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmfao Endgame is crushing all bo records and some people honestly believe this movie won’t make more than IW?

#90 Posted by huthimamwa (2603 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: the 256Mil that IW made opening weekend was just in North America. WorldWide it made over 600Mil opening weekend. Your comparison is misleading unless Endgame somehow made 300Mil in North America alone in one day.

#91 Posted by christianrapper (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: if star wars, infinity wars, avatar, and etc was released every 4 years it won’t do nearly as good as gone with the wind because people have ways of viewing that movie without actually going to the movies. Avatar did so well because it was an event that needed to be seen in the movies. Now all people have to do is wait 3 months and they can see movies at home.

#92 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11766 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a chance. All the people saying it won't outgross Infinity War must not be keeping up with it's box office.

Endgame cracked 300 million by opening day.

IW made 257 mill throughout opening weekend.

Endgame grossed almost 50 million dollars more than IW in previews and opening day than IW did it's whole opening weekend. The official release date for Endgame is today, the 26th, and the weekend hasn't officially started yet.

The good reviews are only going to add to the momentum, so it is almost certain to outgross IW. Whether it will beat Avatar, I have no idea, but it has a good chance.

Wow, nice job comparing domestic opening weekends to global opening days.

That's definitely an apples-to-apples comparison.

#93 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11766 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper: I was more so talking about if those films were released in the same circumstances as GWtW.

#94 Posted by HigherPower (12399 posts) - - Show Bio

@huthimamwa: @petey_is_spidey: Your snarky remarks would hold weight if you realized that Endgame's domestic grossed hasn't been revealed yet because the movie literally came out today in the States.

#95 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11766 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower: doesn't change the fact that your post was misleading

#96 Posted by KingLouie (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

People really are underestimating the performance of movies like Godzilla and detective pikachu. They'll easily hinder endgame from beating Avatar as the highest grossing movie.

??

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
#97 Posted by war of light_2814 (2846 posts) - - Show Bio

I give it about 5% chance.

Actually, I changed my mind. Looking at the updated BO, beating Avatar does not sound crazy anymore.

#98 Posted by m2k (619 posts) - - Show Bio

I said no but damn. If the projected weekend blows up to potentially 350 in both dom and China?! Then.. Houston, we may have a problem. Lol.

#99 Posted by christianrapper (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkthunder: that will have no effect at all. I have not seen it so no spoilers but only people who care about feats and battles will care.

#100 Posted by christianrapper (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: You mean if they were released under the same conditions as back then? I could see Star Wars making that much money and maybe avatar. I don’t see the marvel movies making as much. A huge reason that gone with the wind made so much money is because it was an amazing movie. I watched it in elementary school and we liked it. Star Wars is pretty good and the effects actually hold up to the most part. Avatar is the second movie that I have seen that needs to be watched in 3d. The avengers is a culmination of around 20 movies. Even the first one came after a few of solo movies. You can’t just release that every 4 years and expect people to go see it. There are a whole lot of plot points that people need to know.