Posted by skywalker95 (5001 posts) 3 months, 26 days ago

Poll: Will Avengers: Endgame become the Highest Grossing Film of all time? (203 votes)

Yes 37%
No 50%
Poll Results 13%

Infinity War is the 4th highest grossing film of all time atm. With so much Hype and anticipation, do you think Endgame will the impossible and end Avatar's reign as the highest grossing film of all time? Or do you think it will fall like its predecessor

I personally think and hope it will beat Avatar. Avatar's had this title for 9 years now and i think it's time for a new (and better) film to surpass it. And if there's one film that deserves to beat it, it's Endgame

#1 Posted by tethadam (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe.

#2 Posted by Mrnoital (8139 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubt it, it needs a more interesting ending than infinity war

#3 Posted by Supermanthor (21356 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a heavy shot

#4 Posted by ImMadNice (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

If it’s good then absolutely

#5 Posted by Yassassin (7703 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#6 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6875 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely not

Nothing is beating Avatar anytime soon, Endgame will even have a tough time beating IW imo.

Infinity War probably had more hype behind it than Endgame it was the Avengers film the entire MCU had been building to for years with ridiculous hype around it and even that didn't come close to scratching Avatar, it couldn't even beat Star Wars TFA and was almost $800M off from Avatar.

For Endgame to even beat IW it needs to be able to retain the audience from IW and also gain a bigger audience since IW came out but it will struggle to do that since it is heavily tied to being a sequel to IW. Not like the other Avengers films which were films with their stories and villains contained to those specific films individually.

I can 100% say Endgame won't come close to beating Avatar if you know about how movie grossing works you'll know the chances are ridiculously slim. For something to beat Avatar it's going to have to be something crazy with ridiculous marketing and maybe some new kind of movie viewing technology that has a novelty around the world which makes literally everyone want to go see it, Avatar is a complete anomaly and only grossed like that because of the 3D used in it not the quality of the film.

The biggest question on the cards imo is will Endgame gross more than Infinity War which I think it will be a close match-up.

#7 Edited by Amcu (17046 posts) - - Show Bio

There's absolutely no reason at all to believe that it will add $700 million dollars worth of an audience over Infinity War. Its very likely that at least 90% of the people who see End Game will have also seen Infinity War.

There's just no evidence to support the belief that it will come anywhere near Avatar. Even matching Infinity War's performance is far from guaranteed.

#8 Posted by ANTHP2000 (28515 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#9 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (3920 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

There's absolutely no reason at all to believe that it will add $700 million dollars worth of an audience over Infinity War. Its very likely that at least 90% of the people who see End Game will have also seen Infinity War.

There's just no evidence to support the belief that it will come anywhere near Avatar. Even matching Infinity War's performance is far from guaranteed.

This tbh.

#10 Edited by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

I still remember when I said to you that IW is never going to make 2 billion last year and that it doesnt have the level of hype Force Awakens had.

What Im trying to really say its really hard to predict superhero movies at the box office now. I wouldnt have expected Aquaman or Venom to do these high numbers. Will the lack of action in the marketing hurt it? You just dont know.

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
#11 Posted by chicago_bastard (312 posts) - - Show Bio

No chance.

#12 Edited by mrmonster (15919 posts) - - Show Bio

No. If anything I predict that it'll fall a little under Infinity War's gross. As I've said before in at least 1 other thread, this insane level of hype has proven all but impossible for 1 franchise to repeat, at least in such a short period of time. Just compare Star Wars: The Force Awakens to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, or Jurassic World to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

There is only 1 movie in the near future that I believe has even a remote chance of beating Avatar, and it's Avatar 2. Love him or hate him, there's no denying that James Cameron really knows how to draw an audience, at minimum I believe that Avatar 2 will still draw a Force Awakens level gross.

#13 Edited by Amcu (17046 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: You never know with any film but avatar statistically is just beyond what movies do these days. When you look at IW it actually made less than the first Avengers film domestically if you adjust for inflation. Overall while it is massive the audience for comic book movies just isn't large enough to get a film to $2.7 billion and the market is too competitive. There are too many movies getting made these days.

I don't see any conventional film doing it. Its going to take something very different to reach Avatar's record.

#14 Edited by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

@tonymartial: You never know with any film but avatar statistically is just beyond what movies do these days. When you look at IW it actually made less than the first Avengers film domestically if you adjust for inflation. Overall while it is massive the audience for comic book movies just isn't large enough to get a film to $2.7 billion and the market is too competitive. There are too many movies getting made these days.

I don't see any conventional film doing it. Its going to take something very different to reach Avatar's record.

Its possible though. The IW cliffhanger and the legs were crazy good. Remember it also has the highest opening weekend as well which is an amazing feat to have. The MCU is different to the examples mrmonster listed above like Jurassic World and even Star Wars, they've done the best cinematic universe with multiple stories by far. If the WOM is crazy and people feel they need to see this movie and its like a finale then it can happen.

And the competition is a lot easier than last year. Infinity War had Deadpool 2 and Solo (even though it bombed, an 80m OW in America is still very high) while Endgame has Detective Pikachu and Aladdin.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#15 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17128 posts) - - Show Bio

#16 Posted by Amcu (17046 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: I just don't see a realistic path to $2.7 billion. Competition was probably higher but Detective Pikachu is supposed to do really well IIRC and if I'm not mistaken exchange rates are worse now for making a large dollar amount than they were last year.

IW was sold as the culmination of everything relating to the MCU, had a great marketing campaign and was very well received by critics and audiences alike. Multiple moments in the theater received extended ovations(Something that I've never seen before in a film)and yet it still didn't get anywhere even near to Avatar. I just don't see it happening. It's possible, but there's no reason to think it will happen IMO.

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
#17 Posted by chicago_bastard (312 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: Maybe Endgame will top IW's record for the highest opening weekend but that still won't change the fact that it won't get close to Avatar. Most people want to see these movies as early as possible to avoid spoilers so they have very big numbers at the start but in the following weeks their numbers drop relatively fast. Avatar is so high because it was a long runner and nearly didn't drop for months. I think the 2 billion IW made are as much as comic book movies are able to make.

#18 Posted by MonsterStomp (36971 posts) - - Show Bio

Mate we thought Ininity War would be.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#19 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

It won't even surpass Titanic's overall gross.

#20 Posted by Quinlan58 (1818 posts) - - Show Bio

If Star Wars and IW couldn't do it, there's no way Endgame will.

#21 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (5218 posts) - - Show Bio

It won’t pass Avatar. I think it will do the same as IW.

#22 Posted by APEX_pretador (21292 posts) - - Show Bio

It won't pass infinity war

#23 Edited by Richubs (5736 posts) - - Show Bio

It might make less than IW.

And IW was 700 mil behind Avatar. No way Endgame is going to cross that

#24 Posted by PenguinDust (9345 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, let me check my sources...

No Caption Provided
#25 Posted by Galactic_1000 (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

No Idea.

But It should be

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#26 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17834 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:

Are you being serious?

#27 Posted by Mrnoital (8139 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:

Are you being serious?

Yeah, in order to make more money then infinity war, it's gonna need to be more interesting to have people watch it more times

#28 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17834 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@mrnoital said:

Are you being serious?

Yeah, in order to make more money then infinity war, it's gonna need to be more interesting to have people watch it more times

I'm sure most people will tell you they found the ending of Infinity War interesting.

#29 Posted by Magian (152048 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@mrnoital said:

Are you being serious?

I'm sure most people will tell you they found the ending of Infinity War interesting.

I remember seeing the people in the cinema I watched the movie being so shocked after that ending. It was so funny to watch lol

Anyway, It could potentially surpass IW but even then, not by much.

#30 Edited by Essem (351 posts) - - Show Bio

No chance. I think it will decrease from IW. Two Avengers movies back to back does not do it any favors. They are supposed to be "event movies" that comes with multiple years between them making the audiences hungry for a team up on a large scale. The hunger for a team up isnt as big as it was with IW. Endgame is more about just seeing the conclusion rather than the Avengers themselves.

At this time for a movie to beat Avatar you are at the mercy of China. You would need a gigantic 700+- million over there and superhero movies just are not able to do it. And it also need to double or close to it over IW in some big markets like UK. It's not happening. My guess for Endgame is 600-650 In US. 330-370 in China. 800-900 million in the rest. For a total of 1.7 - 1.9 billion.

I think it will land around 1 billion behind Avatar.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#31 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7667 posts) - - Show Bio

1.8B

#32 Posted by Mutant1230 (6788 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely not

Nothing is beating Avatar anytime soon, Endgame will even have a tough time beating IW imo.

Infinity War probably had more hype behind it than Endgame it was the Avengers film the entire MCU had been building to for years with ridiculous hype around it and even that didn't come close to scratching Avatar, it couldn't even beat Star Wars TFA and was almost $800M off from Avatar.

For Endgame to even beat IW it needs to be able to retain the audience from IW and also gain a bigger audience since IW came out but it will struggle to do that since it is heavily tied to being a sequel to IW. Not like the other Avengers films which were films with their stories and villains contained to those specific films individually.

I can 100% say Endgame won't come close to beating Avatar if you know about how movie grossing works you'll know the chances are ridiculously slim. For something to beat Avatar it's going to have to be something crazy with ridiculous marketing and maybe some new kind of movie viewing technology that has a novelty around the world which makes literally everyone want to go see it, Avatar is a complete anomaly and only grossed like that because of the 3D used in it not the quality of the film.

The biggest question on the cards imo is will Endgame gross more than Infinity War which I think it will be a close match-up.

Well said, completely agree with everything stated here.

#33 Posted by m2k (604 posts) - - Show Bio

It's got a shot to pass Force Awakens but I think that's the ceiling. 3 hr runtime may hurt it, less showings per day /theater. May hurt repeat viewings as well as longer movies are more taxing for average viewer.

#34 Edited by Ghostodoofus2 (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

Difficult but not impossible.

#36 Posted by The_Red_Devil (5069 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by SocaJunkie (8826 posts) - - Show Bio

No, the highest grossing films of all time became as such due to either emotional catharthis in relation to real life events or some technological breakthrough:

- Titanic- the survivor’s descendents of this horrible disaster contributed a lot to the ‘hype’

- Avatar- CGI and motion capture tech revolution

- Avengers- 2012 we were hyped for 6 years

#38 Posted by Archangel01 (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

it will make 1.9 billion at most

#39 Posted by Mrnoital (8139 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@mrnoital said:

Are you being serious?

Yeah, people found it awesome, and it wasn't that close to beating Avatar, so endgame will have to blow Infinity War out of the water if it wants any chance at being highest grossing

What made you think I said anywhere that infinity war wasn't interesting?

#40 Posted by Michaelbn (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#41 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17834 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@mrnoital said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@mrnoital said:

Are you being serious?

Yeah, people found it awesome, and it wasn't that close to beating Avatar, so endgame will have to blow Infinity War out of the water if it wants any chance at being highest grossing

What made you think I said anywhere that infinity war wasn't interesting?

I just think that in terms of interesting endings, there isn't that much room to grow TBH. Infinity War already had a fantastic ending, and even if A4 has an even better ending, there's no way it can be good enough to see a 700 million increase.

I guess we agree but I just misinterpreted your original comment. My bad.

#42 Posted by Darkthunder (3147 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't possibly beat avatar. But will beat IW hard

#43 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe.

#44 Posted by Dogzee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

Really don't see it beating Infinity War. That movie got ridden out on bandwagon too. The hype is dead and the lack of marketing isn't helping it either

#45 Posted by Batvibe12 (5762 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I doubt it.

#46 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (3077 posts) - - Show Bio

It will likely break infinity Wars record for highest grossing opening weekend, but I don’t think it will gain that much more money than infinity war. There is a lot of hype though so who knows?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9e122a6bc32
#47 Posted by deactivated-5c9e122a6bc32 (2290 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee said:

Really don't see it beating Infinity War. That movie got ridden out on bandwagon too. The hype is dead and the lack of marketing isn't helping it either

The Hype is far from dead.

#48 Posted by Dogzee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@tetsukage: The global bandwagon hype is dead. When Infinity War was being marketed all of a sudden everyone and their mom loved Marvel even though they were ignorant fakes. Endgame not getting any trailers or tv spots and it purposefully being kept on shush is killing its anticipation from all the casual movie goers that make movies blow up in theaters

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9e122a6bc32
#49 Posted by deactivated-5c9e122a6bc32 (2290 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee: Yes they don't want to show anything, when the final trailer hits, and people start seeing the movie it's going to snowball like crazy.

#50 Edited by Dogzee (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@tetsukage: If we even get a real final trailer. Plus it's still going to have to beat Infinity War and that's a major stretch. The whole super grandscale team up blockbuster movie idea has been done so it's lost it's big wow factor... The money grabber stars are dead and aren't going to be marketed to boost sales either... Black Panther alone snatched peoples interest, now both him and Spiderman won't be in the movie (not really)