Will any CBM ever be considered better than The Dark Knight?

• 81 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Ever since the movie was made, it has been hailed as the "Greatest comic book movie of all time"

It's been 9 years and many CBM's have been made, the good ones and the bad ones.

Iron Man

The Winter Soldier

The Avengers

Guardians of the Galaxy

Logan

Wonder Woman ( I have not seen it yet)

And yet every time, despite all the praise they get, they're still considered less than The Dark Knight.

Did Nolan really set the Standards that high, after 9 years no one has reached them or even come close to them?

Unpopular Opinion :

I find Superman (1978) leagues above it.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I recognize the movie has flaws, but being released in 2008, I was 16 at the time. The movie was incredibly influential on me at that age and was a bit of an eye opener to not just CBM but just how special cinema in general could be. My personal bias for it will likely ensure it will never be displaced as my personal favorite CBM.

I would put DOFP, Logan and Winter Soldier all in the same ballpark more or less. But they haven't had near the impact on me as TDK did.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Every single movie listed there has a main villain, a major driving force of the story.

What's the best movie out of the critically acclaimed can be subjective but can you really argue with the idea that Heath Ledgers Joker is the best villain, the defining factor as to why it's still considered by many to be the best.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm sure you can find people that consider Logan better.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, subjectively. I personally find it to be overrated.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People will say no but I tell you what I never thought anything would top the first Avengers movie but civil war proved me wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure you can find people that consider Logan better.

Those are certain individuals, the general acclaim is that it is the "Best CBM ever made".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every single movie listed there has a main villain, a major driving force of the story.

What's the best movie out of the critically acclaimed can be subjective but can you really argue with the idea that Heath Ledgers Joker is the best villain, the defining factor as to why it's still considered by many to be the best.

Heath Ledger gave a phenomenal performance there's no questioning that, but for how long will we consider him to be the best? Every record set will eventually be broken, but i don't see that happening with TDK.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@dextersinister1 said:

Heath Ledger gave a phenomenal performance there's no questioning that, but for how long will we consider him to be the best? Every record set will eventually be broken, but i don't see that happening with TDK.

It's been 9 years and Ledger remains the best. I'll tell ya, if a villain comes along and is somehow better, he would've broken the record, but for now, Ledger is untouched.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like The Dark Knight, but I can't help but agree. It's very overwanked on this website

SaviorSorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight was pretty good, but it is highly overrated. I would give it a 8/10. It's not the greatest of all time.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe. It's possible, but I doubt it. Way I see it, that movie is so perfect that expecting another one is like expecting another Mona Lisa.

DannyDared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on your circles, 30 Days of Night, The Crow, From Hell, Persepolis, Akira, V for Vendetta, Dredd, American Splendor, History of Violence, Road to Perdition, Ghost World

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark knight is on overrated as Hell.

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie said:

I like The Dark Knight, but I can't help but agree. It's very overwanked on this website

False. Even on review websites The Dark Knight is among the highest rated comic book movies by BOTH critics and audience. You may personally not think that it is among the best but don't claim that people in general feel that way. They don't. All the data points to it.

On to the topic. I personally don't expect any comic book movie to match TDK anytime soon. In fact, I will not even limit the movie to the comic book genre. It surpassed it. The only other movies that managed to do that are Logan and to a lesser extent TWS. I can understand why people compare these movies to TDK, especially Logan.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catwoman is better

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I love it, yep, after having just watched it the other night again for the tenth time.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie said:

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mutant1230

@from_beyond said:
@mutant1230 said:
@uugieboogie said:

False. Even on review websites The Dark Knight is among the highest rated comic book movies by BOTH critics and audience. You may personally not think that it is among the best but don't claim that people in general feel that way. They don't. All the data points to it.

On to the topic. I personally don't expect any comic book movie to match TDK anytime soon. In fact, I will not even limit the movie to the comic book genre. It surpassed it. The only other movies that managed to do that are Logan and to a lesser extent TWS. I can understand why people compare these movies to TDK, especially Logan.

And... this is exactly what I'm talking about. Good ole Comic Vine.

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@from_beyond said:
@mutant1230 said:
@uugieboogie said:

And... this is exactly what I'm talking about. Good ole Comic Vine.

Not just comic vine, Rotten Tomatoes, IGN, Meta-critic, Cinema score all have TDK as one of the highest rated comic book movie by critics and audience both. Your personal opinion doesn't change this fact.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Logan is better, in my opinion at least.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its possible, but not probable.

The Dark Knight isn't just the best CBM to surface and transcend the comic book genre, its also one of my favourite all time movies in general. Personally, I don't think it should be categorized as a comic book film. But that's just the masterpiece that it is. You look at this canvas, and there's more than meets the eye.

The film was honestly snubbed of an Oscar.

lestrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 are the only great superhero movies to me. The rest is meh overall.

Nolan's Batman film feel so different from what you get from the Marvel films or DCU for that matter.

I do agree that The Dark Knight is the best of the superhero genre, however it must be said that one day it will probably be topped but it's gonna be a long while till that day. ;)

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant1230 said:
@uugieboogie said:

Read my post. I said I PERSONALLY find it to be overrated and I never said that was the general consensus.

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@from_beyond said:
@mutant1230 said:
@uugieboogie said:

Read my post. I said I PERSONALLY find it to be overrated and I never said that was the general consensus.

I wasn't responding to you. My response was to mutant1230 who tried to argue that TDK is "overwanked" on THIS site but he conveniently ignored the fact that on pretty much all prominent movie rating sites, TDK has been rated as one the best comic book movies by both critics and audience. Thus his claim is not supported by facts.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Jgames

It seem Logan is one of the rare exception for some. While I love it also, is not near TDK as it could have improved on some area like the villain who wasn't terrible, just could had been better, and the all scene with the family seem stupid considering they on the run. That being said I can see why people put it next to TDK.

The main problem is most comic book movies are meant to be entertaining and fun. That what people expect, even if people comic vine likes to complain about marvel humor, that what I love about them. That being said is difficult to be entertaining and fun and be an oscar worthy movie because of stupid cliche, because of the jokes and because is hard to take them serious when most of them are not supposed to be taken seriously.

Logan is the exception, which the trailer alone look like a oscar wanna be movie. So it will be a while, maybe once the comic craze dies down a bit.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Days of Future Past >>> The Dark Knight.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None so far.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will any be considered better by the general public? Unlikely. TDK is wanked to the high heavens when it comes to quality, partially because Batman and Joker are arguably the most popular superhero and villain out there.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight is one of the best movies ever made but for a comic book movie it's OK I mean it really doesn't do the comic counter parts justice as the joker is very different and batman isn't what he should be to general audience's TDK probably won't be topped by another CBM but to hardcore comic fans it probably will and already has basically in terms of being a CBM it's good but if you looking at it as just a movie it's a masterpiece

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's possible but not likely to happen any time soon.

minorincon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean sh#t doctor strange is my favorite and people seem to rag on that a bunch. Dark knight might not be everyone's favorite, and it might not be the best film ever, but most people still wanna know how he got dem damn scars.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think a director in Nolan's league will do a CBM and even if they did, it is hard to beat TDK. Very few actual movies are better, cbms don't stand a lot of chance.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I liked Logan more

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zearing: @lestrange: @rbt: @gotoucanario: @rabumalal: @all-father: Let me tell you that you are all confusing CBM and Superhero Movies !

Then I don't know why you all concider TDK as the greatest Superhero Movies, because it honestly isn't:

• Harvey Dent / Two-Face is very badly introduced, very badly played and very badly used in the story plot.
  • The fight scenes are ridiculous. Bad Choregraphies. They couldn't make a costume in which Batman could move well ?
  • I will agree that the story is not a cut and paste of an existing comic book. It would be fine if they had written a good coherent story, because they took bits and pieces from different comics and made it a bad patchwork, it's even worst in TDKR.
  • The Ending of the movie is plain bad.

That's just to name a few awfullness of this "greatest CBM" !

So why did it get so much praise ?

• Batman has a more adult univers so more people went to see it than Spider-Man
  • The fact there was The Joker and that is was majesticly played by Heath Ledger
  • People don't care so much for a good story if is a bit dark, has fights and explosions, has cool gadgets, has some love story, or a combination of those things.

Then personnaly I prefered:

• Sam Rami's Spider-Man Trilogy
  • Iron Man
  • Captain America: The First Avanger and Civil War
  • Superman I (1978)
  • Batman and Batman returns by Tim Burton

In superhero pure movies.

The here are some far far far greater CBM movies (in no order):

• History of Violance
  • V for Vendetta
  • Snowpiercer
  • R.E.D.
  • Sin City
  • Kingsman
  • Kick-Ass I

To conclude it is not because a movie is concidered the "Greatest" that it is technicaly and/or scenaristicly great. That's the sad truth.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lunacyde  Moderator

Never say never...but it's still the gold standard as far as I'm concerned and there have been some comic book films I have really loved since then.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I don't consider Dark Knight the best.

Man of Steel, Winter Soldier and Spider-Man 2 all had great action, heart, themes and nailed their characters. You could even throw Guardians in there too.

Dark Knight gets the praise it gets because of Ledger. The plot was good but Ledger stepped it up and I didn't even really like the anarchist Joker they wrote him as. Other than him, Nolan can't direct close quarters worth a damn and his Batman his kind of an idiot.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father: How come Dredd doesn't get a mention? Or for that matter Blade?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't cross my mind.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dextersinister1

@all-father said:
@dextersinister1 said:

Until someone comes along and gives an ultra praiseworthy performance as the villain and we can get into the subjective debate but no one has come close.

EDIT: and this is from someone who doesn't like the Joker as a comic book villain. His plot armor is almost tangible.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The story was amazing, but the action was crappy. It's great but it's not the best.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gaoron

Logan was imo nowhere near TDK. It was a nice piece of movie but not TDK or Iron Man tier. As of now TDK remains as CBM movies king but i still need to watch Gurdians vol 2, Strange and WW that is hyped af.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't consider Dark Knight the best.

Man of Steel, Winter Soldier and Spider-Man 2 all had great action, heart, themes and nailed their characters. You could even throw Guardians in there too.

Dark Knight gets the praise it gets because of Ledger. The plot was good but Ledger stepped it up and I didn't even really like the anarchist Joker they wrote him as. Other than him, Nolan can't direct close quarters worth a damn and his Batman his kind of an idiot.

I wish I could put a gold stamp on this.

Wewlad80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan and the first Ironman movie was better for me

Avatar image for hestolemycheese
HeStoleMyCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's an argument to be made for Logan. I like the Dark Knight, but the reason it's so hyped is because of Heath's death. If he doesn't OD, we're talking about another movie being the GOAT right now. Same thing happened with Furious 7. Walker dies and it becomes one of the highest grossing moves ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubtful.

killerravens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion Logan is better

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Blade is a stupid movie cheesy movie. While entertaining, it only main contribution is the fact that it made comic book movie be taken a bit more serious in a time when they no longer were takes to stinkers like Batman and Robin and arguably lead to the comic movie boom in the 2000, but have seriously not aged well at all.

Nobody seen Judge Dredd XD. I personally find it somewhat overrated, as it is basically 90's action , but in a good way, but nothing really new or innovating. Even Blade was more innovating as far as the time it came out. Also, again ignoring my opinion, not alot of people saw it which is sad.