Avatar image for transformers1024
#1 Posted by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just thinking, will Anime ever be as popular as comics!? I mean we have Superman, Batman, Robin, Hulk, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man and so forth. Those names have become common household names. As well, comics have arguably the most iconic character of all time and proving they can make a damn fine movie!

But as for Anime, a lot of people know what it is, but they can't really name of any characters like those. Or let alone a series that isn't common within the genre. At school I've noticed there's only very few anime fans and they stick close together. If an average person where go up to them, they would have no clue who or what they were even talking. But comics have the opposite effect, if you were to say "favorite super hero movie" or "favorite character" just about everyone could easily come up with the answer in a second.

So what do you guys think?!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#2 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

manga sells way more volumes in Japan than comics sell in the US.

and I don't know about you, but comic book nerds were not exactly a huge clique in high school either... in fact half of us who read comics...also read manga. Just because some people see a movie doesn't make them a comic book nerd either. I don't know anyone who's gotten into comics because of the movies personally. I've even tried to get my brothers to read comics (who both love the movies) and it never took.

but if you're asking if manga/anime is going to be as popular as comic books/cartoons in the US, probably not. the reverse is also probably true.

#3 Edited by Billy Batson (60823 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not compare comic books with manga, and anime with cartoons?
And manga and anime are much more popular right now, they just don't have characters the popular corporate characters.
BB

#4 Posted by VanderSEXXX (975 posts) - - Show Bio

Here in Asia Japanese anime and pop culture seemingly are more popular than American comics save Singapore and especially in the Philippines where there is a strong community there for American comic books.

#5 Posted by lifeofvibe (3785 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024: i think already is the diference is that it has had time to shine towards yunger veiwer exsept for dragon ball

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#6 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen people say that manga is more popular than Western comics.

I'm not sure if I believe it.

#7 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

One Piece has like 350 million volumes sold, with over 300 of those being in just Japan, since 1997.

That is probably more than any western comic since that time.

So in sales terms, you could easily make the case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#8 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

One Piece has like 350 million volumes sold, with over 300 of those being in just Japan, since 1997.

I know it's more popular there. What I'm not sure about is if it's more popular in North America.

#9 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@xwraith said:

I know it's more popular there. What I'm not sure about is if it's more popular in North America.

Depends. Again sales you might make the case but in terms of iconism there's no chance. Everyone knows who Batman is. No one knows who Luffy is.

#10 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga and anime are definitely more popular. Look at their sales and world wide recognition.
Superman and Batman may be more popular but comics as a whole are less popular than manga. It didn't hurt the manga industry that they can be found online.

Avatar image for mypasswordis1234
#11 Edited by mypasswordis1234 (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the same as Goku vs Superman iconic thread.

Americans like to think that USA is the center of the world, and the people who read comic books, stands on the top of the world, lol.

Edit: I didn't mean to say, everyone in USA think that.

#12 Edited by the_stegman (40194 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in America.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (18671 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga and anime are currently more popular than comic books.The more popular thing about comic books is their characters and mainly characters like Superman,Batman and Spidey while manga and anime just doesn't have such recognizable characters but it is definitely way more popular now.

#14 Posted by Black_Arrow (10258 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly Manga and anime are more popular

#15 Edited by AweSam (7534 posts) - - Show Bio

They are already more popular. I don't know what time period you live in, but comics aren't as popular as they used to be.

#16 Posted by Lucano (3437 posts) - - Show Bio

This ^

#17 Posted by Alertcircuit (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga already sells more here than American comics do

#18 Posted by Lucano (3437 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow said:

And like Black_Arrow said, it is sad.

#19 Posted by Chibi_cute (5157 posts) - - Show Bio

Here in Asia Japanese anime and pop culture seemingly are more popular than American comics save Singapore and especially in the Philippines where there is a strong community there for American comic books.

Yes there is a strong community here in the philippines for comic books but the manga and anime community outnumbers them in great margin.

#20 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@lucano said:

@alertcircuit said:

@black_arrow said:

And like Black_Arrow said, it is sad.

You probably only think of DBZ and Naruto when you think anime and manga, don't you?

Sorry to say this, but there are some wonderful written manga. And as a whole, Japanese animation is far superior to US animation. JL:War looks terrible compared to anime released years ago.

Just because you like comics doesn't mean you have to hate manga. Same way you don't have to hate Marvel if you like DC. Try reading some of the stuff some time, you'd probably like it.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
#21 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2452 posts) - - Show Bio

Internationally most likely. In America, no. Superman, Batman and Spiderman will always be iconic for us.

And it doesn't help that anime fans tend to be super annoying on places like Youtube where if you don't agree with their opinion, then you're wrong. Not saying that all internet users who like anime are like that, but its a growing population.

#22 Posted by Lucano (3437 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Indeed there is wonderful written manga as we as wonderful produced anime, Full Metal Alchemist (First series), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Scaflowne, Patlabor, Serial Experiments Lain, Darker than Black, Mushi-Shi, Rurouni Kenshin, Ergo Proxy, etc. I don't hate manga and anime, I just think it's sad that one of mi favorite media got so easily beaten by a media that is basically the same but lacks my favorite characters.

Besides I'd like you to don't assume I have not read any manga, or seen any anime, just because I like comics and American/European animation, more than I like anime.

#23 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@lucano said:

@fallschirmjager: Indeed there is wonderful written manga as we as wonderful produced anime, Full Metal Alchemist (First series), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Scaflowne, Patlabor, Serial Experiments Lain, Darker than Black, Mushi-Shi, Rurouni Kenshin, Ergo Proxy, etc. I don't hate manga and anime, I just think it's sad that one of mi favorite media got so easily beaten by a media that is basically the same but lacks my favorite characters.

Besides I'd like you to don't assume I have not read any manga, or seen any anime, just because I like comics and American/European animation, more than I like anime.

Then how exactly is it sad by any means?

Its said that DBZ is held so highly, but its not sad that manga/anime is popular as a whole.

Has nothing to do with liking one or the other. Because just because they don't really take popularity away from one another. Its sad that comics aren't popular, but its not sad that anime is, because it's not taking the fans away.

#24 Edited by Dratini1331 (7916 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry to say this, but there are some wonderful written manga. And as a whole, Japanese animation is far superior to US animation. JL:War looks terrible compared to anime released years ago.

I disagree. The art of war was perfectly fine, and I didn't have any particular issues with the art. It was at least as good as the average anime.

#25 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager said:

I disagree. The art of war was perfectly fine, and I didn't have any particular issues with the art. It was at least as good as the average anime.

The attention to detail was pathetic. Take a look at the back ground city of JL:War. Its very generic and leaves much to be desired.

Compare that to even the art in akira and its not that good.

Yes, its better than some fail anime, but it doesn't compare to the best of anime. And most people consider DC animation the best of US

#26 Posted by JediXMan (42486 posts) - - Show Bio

It kinda already is. At least, to a degree. Not as much a part of American pop culture, though.

#28 Posted by Experio (18215 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the country you're referring to.

#29 Posted by Dratini1331 (7916 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: And how is that worse than your average anime? Most anime put little no detail on non-important parts. It's what often leads to the whole "spot the main character" jokes, like so:

No Caption Provided

This is, of course, an extreme case. In all honesty though, the large portion of animes put little effort into most of the background scenery, even really good ones.

#30 Posted by generator2000 (1501 posts) - - Show Bio

In U.S.A, who knows? Overseas, Manga/anime is more popular.

#31 Posted by bob808 (6846 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

#32 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

If it is just comparing American comic books to anime and manga, then the latter wins. However, superheroes have much more mainstream appeal nowadays with the explosion of superhero movies in the last 15 years.

I doubt that anime will become a go-to as far as source material for Hollywood like superheroes are. Which is actually a good thing if you are an anime fan; American companies do not have a good track record when it comes to adapting Asian properties. I'd rather never see Akira or Cowboy Bebop adapted into American movies because I know they will be just a terrible as the Fist of the North Star and Dragon Ball live action movies (just with a bigger budget)

#33 Posted by LyraFay (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

If it is just comparing American comic books to anime and manga, then the latter wins. However, superheroes have much more mainstream appeal nowadays with the explosion of superhero movies in the last 15 years.

I doubt that anime will become a go-to as far as source material for Hollywood like superheroes are. Which is actually a good thing if you are an anime fan; American companies do not have a good track record when it comes to adapting Asian properties. I'd rather never see Akira or Cowboy Bebop adapted into American movies because I know they will be just a terrible as the Fist of the North Star and Dragon Ball live action movies (just with a bigger budget)

I heard James Cameron wants to adapt a Manga but I can't remember which one it was.

#34 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#35 Edited by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay said:

@rdclip said:

I heard James Cameron wants to adapt a Manga but I can't remember which one it was.

That would be Battle Angel Alita. But, I think it went the way of the Cowboy Bebop movie Keanu Reeves was trying to get made.

#36 Posted by Lucano (3437 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: I do agree with you on something. It is sad that DBZ is held up so high.

#37 Posted by VoodooPenguin (1191 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by hart7668 (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

You probably only think of DBZ and Naruto when you think anime and manga, don't you?

Just because you like comics doesn't mean you have to hate manga. Same way you don't have to hate Marvel if you like DC. Try reading some of the stuff some time, you'd probably like it.

I think you might be one of my favorite Viners. (I hope that doesn't creep you out... :P)

You hit the nail on the head so damn hard it's unreal.

#39 Edited by Mediocregeist (727 posts) - - Show Bio

While comic characters are more iconic, anime and manga are more popular, probably due to the stigma held by the general populace that comics are immature.

#40 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: And how is that worse than your average anime? Most anime put little no detail on non-important parts. It's what often leads to the whole "spot the main character" jokes, like so:

No Caption Provided

This is, of course, an extreme case. In all honesty though, the large portion of animes put little effort into most of the background scenery, even really good ones.

So does that mean JL:War is nothing but average animation? Because most people consider DC animation among the best right now. That was the point I was making. Best vs best. Average vs average.

@hart7668 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

I think you might be one of my favorite Viners. (I hope that doesn't creep you out... :P)

You hit the nail on the head so damn hard it's unreal.

I'm awesome like that.

#41 Posted by SuperDrummer (1899 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, there will always be the names that float around... But no one is really INTO them. At my school of 2000+ people, everyone probably knows them, but only like 100 people know wolverine is a martial artist, and probably 50 ever read a wolverine comic book (if that).

At the same time, when it comes to anime/manga, like 1500 will know naruto, but 700 of those people will also know about the byakugan and other less popular aspects, and probably 500 of them have read/watched some of the series.

More iconic: Comics

More popular: Manga

#42 Posted by Anbu_B_Team (748 posts) - - Show Bio

@lucano: Why is that sad? Who cares who reads what. Read what you like. As long as comics are selling enough to keep your favorite comics coming does it really matter what sells more?