TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

At this point, it's easy to be laughed at for saying [insert upcoming post Man of Steel DCEU movie] will be the first GOOD DCEU movie. Can you blame anyone for reacting that way, though? I mean, Man of Steel was helmed to be the second coming of Batman Begins and was more the Watchmen of Superman films in the way it polarised audiences. Skeptics were dime a dozen in the lead up to BvS, but a lot of us were optimistic yelling "they're addressing the criticisms of Man of Steel!! They're No way they're gonna repeat their same mistakes." Only for BvS to make Man of Steel look like an innocent, adorable child with aspirations of it's own that in retrospect, you kinda feel sorry for. Then came Suicide Squad. I remember telling someone "no way in hell Suicide Squad will score less than BvS on RT. It can only get better from there." Only for the person to respond "there are no absolutes in awfulness" (hopefully, you know who you are. Don't remember your username, no disrespect). And Suicide Squad just proved itself to be the worst reviewed of the three.

Here we are again. People saying Wonder Woman will be the first GOOD DCEU installment, and others responding "you're out of your bloody mind. I refuse to disappoint myself once again." Which is why I don't take it lightly when I say that "guys... this is it. This will be the good DCEU film." When I say the good DCEU film, I don't necessarily mean an 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and people calling it the Dark Knight. I mean liked by people, and hopefully something above Man of Steel rating. This is it guys. Wonder Woman is it.

Why, though? Because Wonder Woman looks to be to be the better aspects of the DCEU dialed up to 11, and almost every bad aspect of the franchise made better. For instance, I already know Wonder Woman will be better than Suicide Squad based off the action. SS marketed itself as an action movie, yet I can't for the life of me remember a single good action sequence. Wonder Woman on the other hand, already has some money shots to boot:

In addition on emphasising great action, director Patty Jenkins is doing away with an issue that has plagued the DCEU since Zack Snyder made Man of Steel colorless. Now, Wonder Woman looks visually beautiful:

It would be fair to say that Wonder Woman is the least DCEU film thus far that is limited by obligations. This is as standalone as it gets. It's so standalone it's set in another decade from the rest of the DCEU. This means no email set ups, no need to set up over a dozen characters in hopes of the audience to latch onto one cough Suicide Squad cough. This is plainly a standalone film that needs only to concern itself with telling a compelling story of Diana Prince, and getting the audience to care for this ONE character.

Which brings me to my next, most important point. The DCEU's biggest problem bar none has been the characterisation. Argue that they're colorless, humourless, Eisenberg didn't know he wasn't playing a Joker etc. but the recurring problem in all 3 films is the writers neglecting good character development. Take MoS for an example. What could've been a story which details Kal-El's development throughout the movie and his motivation for saving people... startswith him saving people, and ends with him saving people. Picture Iron Man (2008) beginning with Tony Stark saving innocents from terrorists and being selfless, then ending with the same thing. What is a basic example of effective character development which got a generation of audiences invested in Iron Man would've been lost.

I'm doubtful Wonder Woman will result to non-linear storytelling, so we can watch the Diana Prince grow from a woman who wants to save the world, refusing to stand idle as innocent lives are at loss, into the lady who became exposed to the darkness of humanity.

"I used to want to save the world. This beautiful place. But the closer you get, the more you see the darkness within."

If Wonder Woman sets up motivation + growth + personality, which considering the likely linear storytelling and the promised arc of Diana's hope in humanity becoming a blip - the writers have no obligations but to explore that. It's for these reasons, I'm confident in Wonder Woman being the first GOOD DCEU movie.

Thanks for reading. Share your opinions below. If you've been burnt too much by the DCEU to be excited once again, that's understandable! If you've loved the DCEU so far, than good for you. If you think Marvel is paying off Rotten Tomatoes to give WB bad reviews, well, fun fact Friday: Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB xD

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I hate that bun look. I'm like:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate that bun look. I'm like:

No Caption Provided

Hush, my child. Gal Gadot looks beautiful still skeptical about the acting, though :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the universe the way it is. At the end of the day it's just ur opinion. Plus I really enjoyed MoS and BvS, suicide squad felt like a marvel movie without the marvel brand

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville: Themyscira or... Lesbyscira?

I'd be fine with either, to be honest ?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it to be well reviewed.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, good luck. Wish your predictions will come true; personally, I'll just wait for JL movie.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want it to get good reviews from both the critics and general audience. Gal Gadot's acting better be spectacular.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I want it to be good, rather than another mess of a movie that just makes a lot of money.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gracetrack

@theamazingspidey said:

If you think Marvel is paying off Rotten Tomatoes to give WB bad reviews, well, fun fact Friday: Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB xD

Uh... this doesn't really make sense. Rotten Tomatoes is just an aggregate site like Metacritic that gathers reviews from other outlets and then calculates the percentage. Paying off RT wouldn't accomplish much.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

I hope.

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it will be good, but it's hard to speculate at this point.

Avatar image for captain_inverse
captain_inverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why will Wonder Woman be Great!?!?!

simple:

No Caption Provided

I'm calling this now, he will make what would be a mediocre movie into something DC can be proud of

Watch & see.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure this will be good....I think...hopefully...I don't know let's just wait and see. :-/

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot twist: They spend the entire movie setting up Darkseid's invasion in JL.

I can totally see that happening tbh. :P

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it is good and I enjoy it, time will tell.

On a side note...Soooo tired of hearing and the complaining about Rotten Tomatoes. There's no shadow organization within Rotten Tomatoes out to get WB superhero movies....and If people are going to allow Rotten Tomatoes to make up their minds and decide what they think, then I feel sorry for them.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love Wonder Woman as a character and oddly enough, the thing that worries me most potentially about the film is Gal Gadot having to be in a lead role. She does action fine enough, but her dialogue, expressions, and general acting feels very unnatural regularly based on what I've seen of her in the Fast series and BvS. For all the praise she's gotten out of BvS, none of that is regarding her acting (aside from that little smirk she gives after being hit by Doomsday, that was great), and I do think some of it is just first-time hype for it being big-screen Wonder Woman.

Based on the trailer I think the movie looks like it'll have fun action, but everything else is still tricky and hasn't sold me. I also agree on anyone complaining about Rottentomatoes, but on that subject, I think people will settle for anything that's 60% at least. Superhero movies don't have to be perfect to be good or loved. Ant-Man is probably the most recent proof of that.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

B-but Lego Batman movie though...

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By seastone98

lets hope huh? tbh tho dc's track record has me skeptical at best

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 anthp2000  Moderator

I liked Squad. But reagrdless, this should be awesome.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

If you think Marvel is paying off Rotten Tomatoes to give WB bad reviews, well, fun fact Friday: Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB xD

Uh... this doesn't really make sense. Rotten Tomatoes is just an aggregate site like Metacritic than gathers reviews from other outlets and then calculates the percentage. Paying off RT wouldn't accomplish much.

a lot of DCEU fanboys don't know that and still accuse RT of being biased.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 the_stegman  Moderator

I hope so. Tho, I like MOS & BVS

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to watch this one either way. Same goes for Justice League. I personally really enjoyed both Man of Steel and Batman v Superman... they're some of my favorite CBMs of all time... so I've little doubt I will enjoy WW and JL.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Manchine

I don't know what it is but so far Wonder Woman seems to hit all the right buttons. It doesn't appear to be Dark like a certain ultraMan of Steel movie or BvS. Which is probable part of it.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@theamazingspidey: I just hope the prevailing rumor is true that Danny Huston is Ares and his henchwoman is Dr. Poison

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice blog, TAS.

Wondy is my barometer for the DCEU. If it's good we'll hopefully see a turn around in quality. Looking forward to this year of films on a whole.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have far more hope than I, my friend. Hopefully you turn out right.

Personally, I'm more hyped for LEGO Batman than anything the DCEU is doing this year.

OneWithReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

harlequinreala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dem bones tho.

OneWithReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it will be great.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I've liked all the DCEU movies so far.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol sure it will...

AbelHsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AbelHsu

I thought that DC itself said it's weird/boring/bad...

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abelhsu said:

I thought that DC itself said it's weird/boring/bad...

When did they say that?

AbelHsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: They said it's similar to BVS,has serious problems when it comes to the story arc/timeline.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AbelHsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AbelHsu

@theamazingspidey:Yeah,I think it's that but I saw the Chinese version of that news instead.

Edit:But it can be some rumors IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS was a good movie, so I already don't agree. Hopefully Wonder Woman doesn't suck and puts the DCEU at 2-2. I have my doubts though.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MetalJimmor

A bold statement. I pray for your sake that it is good, for if not you may have doomed your reputation and status on Comicvine for ALL TIME.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bold statement. I pray for your sake that it is good, for if not you may have doomed your reputation and status on Comicvine for ALL TIME.

Now THAT'S what I call a bold statement, mate.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Great write up and i completely agree.

No Caption Provided

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daily reminder that after this movie it will be Justice League directed by ZACK SNYDER so if that movie fails then DCEU will have 5 shitty movies in a row.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I'm keeping my hopes up for this one too. So far I can't really see any issues with this movie.

Anyway the only thing I'm sure of is that dem thighs will NOT disappoint you. XD

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

The movie looks gorgeous so far, Patty Jenkins is a fine director and I'm greatly anticipating this.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie looks gorgeous so far, Patty Jenkins is a fine director and I'm greatly anticipating this.

phew thank you. I was almost being suffocated by all the negativity realism in this thread xP

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#50  Edited By black_wreath

@black_wreath said:

phew thank you. I was almost being suffocated by all the negativity realism in this thread xP

Really? I thought they were behaving themselves compared to normal.

@sprior93 said:

nope

Misogynist.