Why Wonder Woman succeed where other DC movies failed.

• 72 results
DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay so I watched the Wonder Woman movie a few days ago, and it was good. Really good. So good in fact I would say it is the best DC movie since The Dark Knight (yes even better than The Dark Knight Rises) as someone who actually liked the other DCEU films despite all their flaws, I can understand why people had problems with them. Whether it was the too dark of tone, poor casting choices for some of the characters, interference from the studios, The writers and directors not fully understanding the characters, or the infamous MARTHA scene, there is no denying that the first 3 DCEU movies had a lot of problems. And again this is coming from someone who liked those movies. The Wonder Woman movie on the other hand had none of that. The director of this movie (Patty Jankins) made this movie with a lot of respect and love for the original characters. unlike the other DCEU films that tried to cram in too many plot points at once, Wonder Woman had a simple, yet well written story. It had a fish out of water story, and although that is nothing original, it was done very well in this movie. The acting was great and the cast all fit the characters. The villain (Ares) although not the best, was hyped up since the beginning, and he felt like a bad ass and menacing villain. Especially when he had his armor on. There wasn't studio interference and key scenes weren't cut out (can you imagine if the incredible no man's land scene was cut out?) and of course, the fighting scenes and cinematography and special effects looked incredible. And even if you disliked the other DCEU movies, you can't deny they always deliver on the fighting scenes and cinematography and special effects. And that's why I feel that Wonder Woman is superior in almost every way to the rest of the DCEU so far. What did you guys think about the Wonder Woman movie? Why did you think it was so much better than the other DCEU movies? Do you even think it was better than the other DCEU movies? Why or why not? Do you agree with me that this was the best DC film since The Dark Knight? Why or why not? Where do you think this movie will rank in the top 10 greatest superhero movies of all time? Or do you even think this movie will rank in the top 10 greatest superhero movies of all time? Why or why not? And finally on a scale from 1 to 10 what would you give this movie? I would give this a 9/10. What about you guys? Also no hate or flames please. Keep in mind this is all just my opinions, and if you disagree with me, feel free to say so, but please do it respectfully. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f
deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It succeed because they showed color, had humor, and it didn't have stupid plot devises.

I give it 8/10

IMO

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most significant difference for me was story cohesion and editing of it, it was much better put together than BvS and SS.

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@callmeblasti: I agree, the best DC movie in a really long time for sure. Made me feel hyped for the Justice League movie.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

The movie was great. But there are no post-credit scenes. I had to wait, in case if there are any surprises. You may never know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I do not agree with it being in the top 10 CBM's movies of all time, although that could change as i have not seen it.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Zack Snyder

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By adamTRMM

Seriously, it has its good amount of flaws that for some reason no one is talking about. I mean, I'm somewhat glad, the DCEU needed a win, but it takes shape of some faulty conclusions that really start to get my nerves. I think it's time to make a thread dedicated to some legit criticism.

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They also didn't change the character to an extreme. Thats one reason why Dark Knight and Wonder Woman have done well. I really dislike saying Dark Knight series did well since I hate batman. =)

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_impersonator: Yeah I was also surprised there was no post-credit scene. I thought for sure there was going to be a scene with Bruce and Diana after the credits. I guess DC doesn't wan't to completely ripoff Marvel. But the thing is, everyone knows DC is playing catch up with Marvel. It's like, if you're going to copy someone, you should go all the way with it and copy them all the way. But still a great movie nonetheless.

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father: You need to see it. In my opinion it's in the same league (no pun intended) as The Dark Knight and The Avengers.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Penguin-Dust

A cohesive plot, a sense of humor, a plalete of color, likable characters, a positive outlook and an overall enjoyable feeling as you leave the theater. It's my favorite movie of the year so far. I do not believe it is the best movie I've seen this year, but Wonder Woman is the type of CBM I will rewatch many times in the years to come like the original Guardians, Batman Begins and first Avengers.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ares was a really forgettable villain

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#15 frozen  Moderator

I would say that Wonder Woman is far better than any of the other DCEU films but still weaker than the Dark Knight trilogy films.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

A cohesive plot, a sense of humor, a plalete of color, likable characters, a positive outlook and an overall enjoyable feeling as you leave the theater.

This. Granted I still love WW about the same as Man of Steel, but Man of steel did had a lot of stupid moment that just felt like it was there to make the movie darker.

Just glad to have a DCEU movie with a cohesive plot unlike BvS and SS.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the DC movies have succeeded they just sucked

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I argee with what Brad Jones of Midnight Screenings said: It had focus. I like BvS's Ultimate Cut but it and Suicide Squad had way too much forcibly crammed into it by the studio, while Wonder Woman's movie only focused on her story and the characters in it. Hopefully with how well the movie is (and how well Man of Steel did) WB now knows it is most profitable for them to just let the people they hired to make their movies make the movies their way.

No Zack Snyder

Didn't he help write it?

@the_impersonator: Yeah I was also surprised there was no post-credit scene. I thought for sure there was going to be a scene with Bruce and Diana after the credits. I guess DC doesn't wan't to completely ripoff Marvel. But the thing is, everyone knows DC is playing catch up with Marvel. It's like, if you're going to copy someone, you should go all the way with it and copy them all the way. But still a great movie nonetheless.

I imagine they can't afford to use Ben Affleck too much for the same reason Marvel can't afford to use Robert Downey Jr to much. They have to think about the actual movie roles and how many appearances they can waste on cameos before their contract is up.

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: Haha well I'm pretty sure Zack Snyder was a producer for this movie, so you have to give him a little credit at least. Snyder has some great cinematography but his writing leaves a lot to be desired. Which is why I personally think he is a much better producer than he is a director.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adamTRMM

@agent41:

The question why it didn't divide critics might as well have abstract or obscure answers altogether, thanks for a thread inspiration btw. I'll get there when I'll have the urge.

The flaws that were obvious to me at least, from the first viewing already, I can safely say that it's a simply a more linear "MoS" that just avoids the "controversy" part, even when it looks stupid when you think about the shared universe and initial portrayal WW had already, which I mind was also almost universally praised. Ok, I guess it might confuse some so I'll get into details just a little bit:

The movie has some blatant parallels to the First Avenger, at places nigh identical concept wise. It has logic issues in the end that we now have to make sense of. It has it's own Pa Kent moment, that no one for some reason gave a shit about this time. And more.

If the critics wanted, they could've destroyed the movie easily because it's really not hard to nitpick. They chose not to. I really don't want to point out gender bias, since not only the movie never pushed an agenda the wrong way, it approached it with balance and naturally so, which is very important, still they were prone to say only the good things overlooking... the lesser ones, and one of the reasons MIGHT be the importance of the first female led superhero adaptation. And please don't try to cut it out of my context, I did address how the movie does justice itself in this area. All I say is that the movie was just almost as potentially "destructible" as MoS was. Yet no one even tried to destroy it.

The mercy of the critics all mighty, and look how it works.

lestrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lestrange

@adamtrmm: If critics had nitpicked half the MCU movies wouldh't even be in the 90% range . But they chose not to.. oh well... the mercy of critics all mighty.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By adamTRMM
DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: Yeah that's probably it, They still could have done something after the credit though. Like maybe Alfred goes up to Diana and says Bruce will see you now. Or something along those lines. Wonder Woman was amazing, but that would have made it even better.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It succeeded because they focused on ONE character, that character's journey, and progression. It wasn't bloated and overstuffed with unnecessary characters and multiple subplots, and not once did it set up 20 other movies. Whereas the last two DCEU films did all of the aforementioned.

This was Diana's story from beginning to end with no extra and unneeded fluff.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

No Zack Snyder

Zack Snyder wrote the movie and was a producer as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Successively copy your competitors formula that audience have been clamoring to for nigh ten years now. The bubble burst is happening sooner then later.

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DCMarvelfan104

@Manchine: What a novel concept, actually keeping the characters how they are in the comics and people will actually like it. Why do you hate Batman? I'm just curious.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Manchine: What a novel concept, actually keeping the characters how they are in the comics and people will actually like it. Why do you hate Batman? I'm just curious.

Pretty much don't like the whole dark characters. Daredevil, Wolverine, and those types I just don't like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: It can, the bubble of popularity, the audience will turn on these movies at point and the industry is gonna take a hit . I'm not DC VS Marvel, I'm just pointing out how trends go. I'm saying people should get their fill cause we might not be getting them for a good while.

Maybe I could be wrong, things that where cool in the 90's are cool now, but maybe it's a bigger hill until we hit a lower valley.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DCMarvelfan104

@Penguin-Dust: I agree, Wonder Woman has a lot of re-watch value. I can't wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray and Amazon Prime.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I agree, but through that time period there was some breathing room. Now, we get like 5 CBMs a year, they all bend together.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It succeeded because they focused on ONE character, that character's journey, and progression. It wasn't bloated and overstuffed with unnecessary characters and multiple subplots, and not once did it set up 20 other movies. Whereas the last two DCEU films did all of the aforementioned.

This was Diana's story from beginning to end with no extra and unneeded fluff.

I agree with this. When they were three films in the DCEU already had two team/multi-character films. They really need to take their time with building their universe instead of trying to cram it into one. WW was a really good step in the right direction for this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I'm aware, it's just a tad bittersweet when changing things means doing what everyone does but with a girl :D

But that's the nature of Superheroes, I would like to see more Ghost Worlds and Scott Pilgrims is all.

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Manchine: I disagree but that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I wasn't being serious. Hence the : D and I was only referencing the movies ^-^

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Manchine

@Manchine: I disagree but that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Exactly everyone is entitled to there own opinion. Otherwise it be a really boring place. =)

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Light1150

@adamtrmm: I have to agree with agent 41 here

I cannot, for the life of me see how it is similar to captain America tfa, if anything it is more like mos. If by pa Kent scene you mean

antiope being killed by the German soldiers, it is made perfectly clear at the beginning of that fight amazons (including Diana) could be hurt by the bullets, pa Kent just stood there while clark was fast enough to save him.

and like agent said, logic issues are a stable of comic book films and there weren't too many in this film. GOTG, Winter Solider, Avengers and even Iron Man had logic issues.

DCMarvelfan104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DCMarvelfan104

@peterparkerjr: Yeah it was nice to see a good old fashioned origin story again. Don't get me wrong, I love the superhero team up movies, and I'm excited for the Justice League move, but it seems like that's all we are getting these days. I want to see more solo superhero movies, no cameos, no team ups, no fights between the heroes, just regular Superhero movies that focus on one character and one story. Again I like team up movies but variety is the spice of life and in entertainment.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol @everyone saying no Zack, when he was the co-writer, an a major producer.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49  Edited By NinjaWarrior268

A more light hearted tone, and well rounded tale that avoided having huge flaws

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it but I felt that Ares was only Ok I didn't like the final fight I thought it went on too long, and I didn't like that everyone did stop fighting when Ares died was bad but other than that I liked the movie.